Author Topic: [FF7PC] Red Werewolf  (Read 209901 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: Red XIII werewolf mod
« Reply #50 on: 2014-06-18 13:30:40 »
That looks great, it's really coming along. I suppose it could resemble the Great Ape a bit, but it'll look more like your 2d reference when you finish the hair. Something to be aware of though, at some point you'll need to split the lips apart and do the inside of the mouth. Don't forget he uses his teeth to attack. That's something for later on though when the body's mostly done and you're ready to do his accessories. One thing I did notice between Kaldarasha's drawing and your reference is the tail, granted you mentioned it was a deviant art entry you edited to resemble Red XIII. Are you planning to add the flame to his tail?

Thanks, Ash sculpted detail and used polypaint in zbrush after modeling a lowpoly mesh in Maya to get started. It's a powerful tool.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-18 13:33:05 by cmh175 »

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2014-06-18 15:52:20 »
That's a great sketch Kaldarasha. I am trying hard to get the hair right. It is kind of a pain. Lol. I am going to revisit it tonight. Here's my thing though, I am going for almost an entirely new character that is just loosely based on Red XIII. My goal is to convert him to a wolf. My brother has been picking at me too about the tail. I am torn. I think I am going to start over on the hair though. Thanks for the advise guys.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-18 16:15:38 by WolfMan »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #52 on: 2014-06-18 17:09:48 »
I'd prefer the fair to be it a bit more pointy...

(and I know this is the Griever, don't say a word!)  :evil:

or maybe something like this:

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2014-06-18 17:52:50 »
I think the last picture is pretty good, it's similar to the 2d reference actually, just a bit shorter. Something like that longer with a bit of the SSJ3 style you're thinking of would look pretty cool. For the tail I think it looks pretty cool, but the flame is like THE Red XIII trait. It'll really set the werewolf apart from other designs too. I think if you do what you have in the 2d reference, but change the part where the tail curves up and gets thicker into the flame it'll look really cool. The fur there already looks similar to how the fire would look anyway so it wouldn't be a huge redesign. I marked the part of the tail I'm talking about here:

Making the end of the tail there into fire wouldn't be too much a change, and would look pretty cool. Maybe start the flame a bit further down the tail so it's not as big, but the design isn't too far off as it is.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-18 17:54:57 by cmh175 »

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2014-06-18 19:01:53 »
I agree guys. I'm going to take this all in. :)

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2014-06-19 06:06:06 »

I finally have it the way I like. Now I just need to detail hands and feet. Add feathers. Add ankle bracelets. Add arm bands. Then color.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2014-06-19 08:03:44 »
I would never swap the original characters' creative design but you did really good on that model. Congratulations.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2014-06-19 12:06:17 »
Thanks Salk. Red XIII has always been my favorite character but I always thought as a kid it would have been better if he stood on two feet.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #58 on: 2014-06-19 14:44:50 »
Great!

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2014-06-23 05:41:21 »
More progress

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2014-06-23 13:56:12 »
Damn look at that. I like the hair, though you painted it the same color as the rest of the fur. Great progress. I'd suggest finishing all the detail first though before painting the model, it'll be easier to sculpt fine and minor details in the default grey. Unless you have a particular plan or work flow. 

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2014-06-23 15:11:43 »
The hair and fur are actually different colors. But they are definitely too close in hue. Lol. I'm thinking of removing the color, finishing the model and then re coloring with different colors. Thanks cmh

Iceboundphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2014-06-24 06:24:52 »
I really like this concept and am cheering you on man. Bravo on the work you have done so far this gets me giddy thinking that red XII could be this awesome.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2014-06-24 06:35:36 »
Thanks Ice. I want to start by saying that this is my final detail/texture sculpt post. Sorry if I update too much. I'm both excited and enjoying the feedback and criticism. Only thing I have left is ankle bracelets, wrist chains and feathers. After that it's color time. Once I'm finished with that I will post a final 3D concept. Then it's on to blender and Kimera.

Hope you all like him so far. Let me know if you if you have any thoughts or improvements.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2014-06-24 10:37:30 »
I Love the detailing on the chest. The collar bones are amazing, I don't know why those stood out. The only thing that bugs me a little bit are the veins are perfectly mirrored. Not something you'd notice in game; but it just something that stood out to me. Particularly the one that appears on either side of the chest. o.o.

Maybe it's just me though! ^^

Awesome work so far, regardless. I've always wanted to learn Zbrush :o.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2014-06-24 12:34:55 »

I Love the detailing on the chest. The collar bones are amazing, I don't know why those stood out. The only thing that bugs me a little bit are the veins are perfectly mirrored. Not something you'd notice in game; but it just something that stood out to me. Particularly the one that appears on either side of the chest. o.o.

Maybe it's just me though! ^^

Awesome work so far, regardless. I've always wanted to learn Zbrush :o.
Your right lol. It's definitely easy to lose yourself in symmetry mode. Your also right about not noticing in game mode. Because when I dumb this down the veins will probably disappear all together.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #66 on: 2014-06-24 13:15:32 »
Awesome model! I'd prefer the hair a little more pointy but that's not so much of an issue.

Looking forward for any future project of yours. Your skills in modeling are quite promising! :)

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2014-06-24 15:25:51 »
thanks LeonhartGR. Ya I tried the more pointy hair but it clashed with the fact the rest of the model is so curved.

cmh175

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Red XIII werewolf mod
« Reply #68 on: 2014-06-24 18:57:43 »
Looks great. What's your current polycount? I do agree that it's too symmetrical. If you switch it off though and add a few extra details on each side to switch it up some that should do. Have you decided what you want the final model to look like? If you want to just edit the idle animation so he's standing up, and have him still run on all fours that would certainly be easier. It's possible to edit them further so he's always standing up, but it depends on how much time you want to put into it. 

Iceboundphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2014-06-24 19:38:50 »
I am curious how the limit break animations are going to function. All in all the model looks pristine the crème de la crème of effort as one would put it. I am even more intrigued to see how the animation is handled.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2014-06-24 19:56:21 »
I'm very curious on animations too lol. This is the first time I've ever tried any of this. But obviously I catch on quick. :) This is pretty much how I want him to look. Obviously have to add color and a couple accessories and tattoos. Poly on him is 8.452 million. Lmao I've already created a low poly rendition at 80k. I hope that will work

I will try to upload the low res poly tonight
« Last Edit: 2014-06-24 21:22:26 by WolfMan »

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2014-06-25 12:56:19 »
Ok so using zremesher I dropped polycount to 68k. I will have to put his eye back in but I don't the it looks too bad. I also so a tutorial on how zbrush can paint detail back in using the high res model. I'll have to watch that again. A lot of info all at once.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 2014-06-25 18:42:28 »
Before you tessellated the model, did you get a UV bake for later application?

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2014-06-25 19:06:12 »
I have both models now. The high res and low res. both saved. I'm going to paint the high res and then I should be able to use that on the game model right

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2014-06-25 20:06:09 »
For the most part yes, but you can only use a diffuse texture. Normally you'd also at least use a normal map, but we currently cant import them. So any extra detail you'd like will need to be added to the diffuse. By the way, I find it easier to keep everything detailed and straight to divide pieces up while modeling. For example make the eye socket in the head, but model the eye separately. That way you can also duplicate pieces in multiple places. Same with hair and accessories. Other than the eyes though it looks like that's what you've been doing. 68k is definitely still a high poly game model, but shouldn't be an issue.