Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Re:Sampled - High Resolution Pre-Rendered Backgrounds (v2.0)  (Read 92969 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] FF7 Re:Sampled v1.1 [Updated + Demo]
« Reply #50 on: 2014-07-17 16:04:19 »
Thanks so much Napper, this is exactly what I needed.  Most of this is just stuff that needs to be fixed by hand but is doable.  I'll take care of it all before releasing 2.0.  Don't be shy about posting anything else you find.  I added you to the credits for all your help!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Just a small update, I haven't had a day off in almost two weeks so progress is slow right now.  Also I am working on restoring a few of my old consoles in my spare time so I am split between two projects.  The script has finished its work for the next 2.0 release so now all that's left is to hand edit all the stuff that napper has found; which can take a lot of time in some cases.  But the next release should be relatively soon.  Its taken almost 4 days to compress the source PNG's and I am barely half way so I am also waiting for that to finish as well.  So for those that are anticipating the release I apologize for all these delays but I promise it will be worth it in the end ;D

foubou

• View Profile
Hi all,

What is the difference betwen this pack and Omzy's field pack ?
Which one is better ?

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
The difference is the process used.  My new pack tries to maintain an accurate representation of the original images in the following areas: color, sharpness shaping and detail.  Omzy's pack uses fractals which cause a bit of blotched look but are really sharp and almost have a hand painted feel.  Better is a subjective term and obviously different people will have varying opinions.  I have a 2.0 release coming soon which will completely revamp what I have done in 1.1 so it won't really look the same as the current release at all.

One significant difference, once mine is finished, is that I will supply quite a few hand finished fixes which a script alone could never apply.  Therefore mine will hopefully contain a lot less buggy or unsightly layering issues which does harm to the purpose of the project; to make the game look better.  However I will be documenting my fixes so if Omzy's feels the need to do the same to his pack he can.

Its just a matter of taste really.  I'll supply plenty of sample images as well as a new demo when 2.0 is done and Omzy has plenty of samples as well, so whichever you feel looks better you can use.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-24 04:01:50 by yarLson »

Salk

• View Profile
I guess there is no hope to fix the issue with transitions.  :(

I find this to be quite a deterrent in the overall scope of the project.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
I guess there is no hope to fix the issue with transitions.  :(

I find this to be quite a deterrent in the overall scope of the project.

What issues exactly?  The ones that napper has posted about or are you speaking of something else?  Anyway, since aali is the only one with the code for his driver, for now, he is the only one who can fix it.  Luckily he is a genius :D

Personally I am more annoyed by the lighting issues myself.  But I trust that one way or another they will eventually be fixed.  Whether in Aali's driver, and unforeseen new driver or Q-gears.  Its beyond the scope of my project to try and fix it myself at this point.  I have a hard enough time just trying to code in python and javascript lol.  Besides I am doing this mostly for myself, and I am not deterred in the least bit  :P

Of course I want it to be as useful as possible to others from a practical standpoint, but I can't force people to accept the trade-offs.  Nor would I want to.  The whole point of this project is to allow people to decide for themselves what they like.  It really does bother me that after all my efforts the textures don't "just work" in all cases.  But I said I was gonna do it.  So I am gonna finish it dammit.  lol

Seriously though its just a fun thing to do in my spare time.  When I even have spare time  :roll:

Salk

• View Profile
What issues exactly?  The ones that napper has posted about or are you speaking of something else?  Anyway, since aali is the only one with the code for his driver, for now, he is the only one who can fix it.  Luckily he is a genius :D

The issues with the wrong lighting at transitions that Napper posted about (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15335.msg215497#msg215497), yes.

And of course I appreciate enormously the work you are putting into Sampled.

I used the word "deterrent" because I personally rather play a game with a general less good looking graphic than one with a nicer looking graphic but with graphical issues.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Well I definitely know what you mean.  Its the very reason I avoid most emulators.  I even have gone so far as to purchase a Framemeister and RGB mod some of my consoles just to get the best possible image without distorting the original intended graphics.  However all games and modifications of games start out buggy at first, so hopefully someday these issues will be resolved.  At least in time for when TA has all their high quality redone backgrounds finished.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
*Update*
so I finished all the hand edits, now I just have to deal with palmer and then compress the output.  Should be a release in a day or two

Salk

• View Profile
Great news, yarLson!

Looking forward to the next version...  ;)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Cool deal. I have 1.1 in the 7th Heaven catalog atm, but looks like 2.0 will be in time before I release the catalog.

paralleluniverse

• <3 Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Looking very nice

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
So I ran into one last minor snag.  The compression ended up removing transparency on many of the small images.  Luckily, my wife fixed them up for me since I was working all day.   Even with all the grief the compression caused with the source images, it was majorly worth it for my sake.  It went from over 70 GB to under 6GB. 

So the palmer conversion is taking place today and its almost done then its one more round of compression (shouldn't break anything this time since the images are more uniform after going through palmer).  And maybe tomorrow or the next day it will finish.

I hate all these delays but its almost ready for you all.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Hello yarLson.

Your Photoshop algorithm..?  Script?  Is awesome man.

I'd like to show my support and am open to offer support in any way that I can.  But my support would be shit, since I don't know shit about graphics.  I've always loved to draw and 3D modeling especially has been grabbing my attention.  So I'd be a very good listener, but until I honed my skills I can't imagine what help I could provide.

Anyway, your mod (from what I've seen - I'll explain) is excellent.  And I was reading the other guys comment, the one who doesn't like the film-grain effect.  I'm the exact opposite, and I couldn't believe everyone agreed.  I think the film grain effect is perfect for upscaling very low resolution renders.  In fact I like it in pretty much everything including video games, like the Silent Hill series.  If Silent Hill 2 didn't have the film grain effect it would be showing its age quite a bit more than it does now.  Even though that game in particular is a bad example because their artists were incredible...
I meant if I could put that film grain effect plus like a minor 2XSAI effect on everything low resolution 2D I would.

Someone also mentioned earlier that the man who came up with the original idea for this preset image filter who is using something like an HQ4X watercolor painting look...yikes.  No disrespect to him it just smudges the backgrounds completely while yours retains a lot of the original.  If it were up to me I'd tone it down even further and add a bit more film grain.  But I guess you can't make everyone happy.

Also, I don't mean to get off topic.  But it has been a very long time since I've been on Qhimm.  For whatever reason I had the desire to play through FFVII, in fact I haven't gotten past disc 2 since the 90s I think.  It always had to be perfect ever since these mods started showing up.  By perfect I mean palatable.  The Windows 95 port is awful and the Playstation version would be fantastic if the geniuses that create these emulators like PCSXR that've added widescreen, filters, internal resolution all that shit if they were able to add a Z-Buffer, then I probably wouldn't have become a lurker on Qhimm.  The distorted models, I don't just mean super deformed, I mean the textures jumping all over the place has always really bothered me.  It sucks that the PSX is my favorite videogame era because most of the good games are 2.5D.  I keep getting further off-topic. 
My point being that now with :
-Filtered Backgrounds
-Filters on the FMVs
-High Resolution
-Battle-Field-model conversion (still can't believe that was never finished)
+I do like that new menu style

+Cool if there is a good difficulty patch

I know this isn't the right place so I apologize.  But I've been at this for hours and I have to say that I'm tired of looking and reading through pages and pages of forum posts for answers...so I thought I'd ask.  It'd be cool if there was a sticky not just for installing this game but for the mods as well.  And I don't mean Tifa's bootleg.  While I managed to get the game and the music installed without a hitch, the movies [cmh175 Remastered FMVs] I had a hard time with.  For whatever reason re-registering Aalli's driver in the registry fixed the problem.  Either that or perhaps it was something else I did.  But the instructions are pretty straight forward when there are instructions. 

I'm sure Bootleg covers alot of the fans, but I just want the game the way that it was meant to be.  Not some sort of 2014 Advent Children style remake.  When the original Battle to field model patch came out I was ecstatic even though the models were too big because I had always wondered why Squaresoft didn't do that in the first place.  Then that project was scrapped and the PRP was born.  That patch was almost finished and bam, progress on that came to a screeching halt when the Advent Children models had began to take their place.  I think they are horribly ugly.  I wish I wasn't so particular.
A long time ago before my computer crashed I asked someone on Qhimm, I believe the creator of the PRP made me an original cloud field model without the sword.  How cool is that?  I suppose I prefer that model for nostalgic reasons.

Well, after the long story, I'll also include the short :)

I've put yarLsons mod under mods/textures, mods/field, mods/a - z and it will not work.  So I figured it had to be done the old school way by extracting the LGP, but when that's done the files don't have extensions they're just blank, they aren't PNG files or anything.  I also tried that Direct method that is in Aali's driver, nope. (<---Bravo by the way.  The man, if you are reading this, have you considered an add-on to your patch that stretches the field screen a little bit then center it so the screen doesn't seem as if it's Windowed?)
Sorry, again I can't find out what the the hell I'm doing wrong.  I've been backwards and forwards with it.  I typically NEVER ask for help or even post on a forum.  A lurker.  Don't forget yarLson, there are a lot of us out there, a lot more of us than the ones that actually post I'm sure that are crazy about your work.

So, any ideas?

Also, does anyone on these forums happen to have that particular Cloud model?  I mean just the regular battle Cloud model - imported to the field - resized perfectly - No sword <--?

One last for those of you that have been patient enough to read my very long run on sentence, could you make some suggestions for an FFVII that is basically like FFVIII (by that I mean no legos but in the original style as if they were created by Squaresoft in '97) and maybe a good difficulty patch?

I remember seeing some on Bootleg a long time ago on a youtube video.  They looked like the type of models I'm looking for but made some odd choices like camouflage for the Avalanche team?  And of course, higher resolution cloud with the giant sword on his back.

Thank you so much for your time and if my long post has gotten in the way or anything feel free to delete it or ban me or something.  Thanks again!!!!!!

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
And I was reading the other guys comment, the one who doesn't like the film-grain effect.

It's not I don't like it, but it looks wrong to see crystal clear character models above a background with a 'film-grain effect' (more precisely it's a static noise effect) on it or switching from a clean FMV to the backgrounds. The rule is everything or nothing. So if someone would make a noise shader I would probably use it.

Write in Aali's driver config after modpath = textures (the name doesn't really matter but it's better to call it this way for the future). Now create in the mod folder another folder called textures. And in this you place the field folder with all it's content in it.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 17:12:45 by Kaldarasha »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
It's not I don't like it, but it looks wrong to see crystal clear character models above a background with a 'film-grain effect' (more precisely it's a static noise effect) on it or switching from a clean FMV to the backgrounds. The rule is everything or nothing. So if someone would make a noise shader I would probably use it.

I understand what you're saying.  But no matter what the models are going to overshadow the backgrounds unless that amazing background project is going to be finished in the year 2035 and by then we'll probably be dead so to each his own right?

I just played through the end of the first bombing to that guys special place where he's always taking a leak and I don't think Squaresoft meant for all of their NPCs to look like lego Blowup dolls they had to have been placeholders and the executives were like Enough, we've spent enough money on this f*ck the models just do release it.  And congratulations on cmh175 Remastered FMVs -----holy sh*t man, without a background filter your FMVs are more beautiful than the rest of the game I love them.  The only thing is the colors/brightness something seems to change from background-->FMV.  But that doesn't kill it for me.  I love your work man!  It makes me want to see Yarlsons backgrounds that much more.

It's crazy to see these projects slowly but surely evolve into what they were set out to be, and most importantly, 100% complete.  We love you guys, keep it going.

EDIT:  So Kaldarasha...any theories on why this mod doesn't work for me?  I'm using the original release and I'm not a stranger to modification or computers for that matter.

EDIT #2:  My new hero.  I apologize I posted at the same time you did.  Thank you so much!  I kept putting mod/textures/ as the directory, instead of just modpath = textures

Because it's laid out like this!  subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
mod_path = none
See that mods/ I don't know...my brain is fried.  Thank you Kaldarasha you are awesome, really for taking the time man that was quick too.  I see what you mean now about the backgrounds, how it kind of makes everything POP.  I don't know if that's the same for...I can't remember his name but those backgrounds were kind of fugly from the screenshots but in-game there is a difference.  I'd say that yarLsons retains more of the detail though and I do love the film-grain.  It's too bad you can't put it over everything including the 3-D.  Like if Aali came up with a way to sort of blur the two together.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 17:29:51 by Changeling »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
I'm not ready, but I need time to read the wall of text....  :-D

Then that project was scrapped and the PRP was born.  That patch was almost finished and bam

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13960.0
You will need to install the Reunion to cover all NPC. I will change this after the next update of the Reunion mod. It's mostly a fix of the PRP project and a compromise between the original style and high quality models You also need 7th Heaven to bring it to work. Alyza is releasing soon a tutorial and a catalog for it.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 17:28:37 by Kaldarasha »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Thanks for the support bro.  Glad to see some old fans passionate enough to come out from the shadows and comment.  I really recommend 2.0 when its released, even though its lacking the grain, it looks spectacular.  As far as not being able to get this working; just set the modpath in the config to whatever you want.  I use reunion r01 so my modpath is named "reunion"

modpath = reunion

in the ff7 config file.  Now in the "mods" folder make sure you have a folder named whatever you just put in your config file and then put the field folder in that folder.  So the path should like "(ff7 install dir)/mods/reunion/field" in this example.  Should work

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
You know I've seen those before and I said damn those look pretty good but I've been stubborn in my 'keep it original' mindset.  Maybe it'll look different in-game but this was one of my favorites as a kid, this and Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill.

Anyway unless you grew up at the same time I did you can imagine wanting that small upgrade, having them look the same because that obvious flaw is there for a reason you can tell the developers didn't have enough time to finish.  Half of the FMVs they're full size, why compromise with models that ugly on such a big budget project?

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
The artist himself, Kaldarasha beat you to it but thank you for taking the time!  He's saying to wait for his models which look pretty damn amazing, but I also like those models that...I think his name was Ice Cold was working on and someone either finished their work or combined a bunch of models to look like them anyway

Also Kal, you mentioned consistency, your models are bound to look different than the enemies, wouldn't they?  Whereas if it were more of a battle-field style like before, everything would fit together, except for those FMVs in which all of the people are blocky.

EDIT:  I hate when artists or administrators are just like 2+2 is 4 you idiot after spending hours trying to troubleshoot something that was right in front of your face, well this was even worse.  Kal had already made a recommendation beforehand, we keep commenting at the same time!

EDIT2: Except for this -->Both of you, or anyone at all, in my novel I wrote about that Cloud model do either of you have it?<--

EDIT3: Kal, do you have a version of your Cloud without a sword?  You probably already do, and I'm asking my third stupid question.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 17:46:49 by Changeling »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
No sorry man I honestly prefer the chibi's.  I really would want Team Avalance to do a complete chibi overhaul.  That would be my ideal remake.  The scale and sizing of the fields just looks and feels weird to me with full-size models.  And I just love chibi's anyway, never understood why they don't get more love. 

Actually I have been thinking and I want to refine my modeling skills to the point of being able to do them myself and join TA since I really feel like no-one else is going to bother for a long time.  I love the the integrity of TA, the fact that they stick to the original artwork and yet add artistic depth and detail is really as professional as I can imagine a good quality remake should be.  Even better that any remake Square would ever do, if they ever do.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
No sorry man I honestly prefer the chibi's.  I really would want Team Avalance to do a complete chibi overhaul.  That would be my ideal remake.  The scale and sizing of the fields just looks and feels weird to me with full-size models.  And I just love chibi's anyway, never understood why they don't get more love. 

Actually I have been thinking and I want to refine my modeling skills to the point of being able to do them myself and join TA since I really feel like no-one else is going to bother for a long time.  I love the the integrity of TA, the fact that they stick to the original artwork and yet add artistic depth and detail is really as professional as I can imagine a good quality remake should be.  Even better that any remake Square would ever do, if they ever do.

I agree and I see their screenshots, also videos of people working with Blender then importing their models into 7, but not just for this for anything but I think one would have to get a drawing pad right?  Or a really expensive stylus and a tablet?  Not for the basics but to actually dive in and get into the whole realm of digital art.  And yes I do the same thing, I bounce back and fourth but if someone was to really do it justice, to really make the models right I think you might change your mind.  Everything would feel more cohesive.  Although, over time the super deformed models have become a style all their own.  I liked that one mod that put their little hands on instead of big blocks
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 17:51:20 by Changeling »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
The only reason I wouldn't change my mind is because the scale is off.  That really can't be fixed either.  I enjoyed ff8's style a lot too and if the scale was right I'd like something like that in 7 but its not, and it would take an unreasonable amount of work with the backgrounds to make it work.  As well as unreasonable amount of editing for model animations.  And I still wouldn't like in unless the models were redone and textured like they are in ff8.  When one could simply remake the chibi models with more detail, import and done.  Still a lot of work but at least plausible.

As for a digital drawing pad.  I already have one myself and have access to quite a few more so no problems there.  Might need it for texturing but most of the modeling with be done with a good old fashioned keyboard n mouse.  I just need to improve my skills and decide what suite I like most.

I HATE blender.  To this day I have no idea how to even approach that program.  I love 3ds max it 's the only program I can actually use and make decent stuff in, but I am considering maybe switching to z-brush in the future.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
The only reason I wouldn't change my mind is because the scale is off.  That really can't be fixed either.  I enjoyed ff8's style a lot too and if the scale was right I'd like something like that in 7 but its not, and it would take an unreasonable amount of work with the backgrounds to make it work.  As well as unreasonable amount of editing for model animations.  And I still wouldn't like in unless the models were redone and textured like they are in ff8.  When one could simply remake the chibi models with more detail, import and done.  Still a lot of work but at least plausible.

As for a digital drawing pad.  I already have one myself and have access to quite a few more so no problems there.  Might need it for texturing but most of the modeling with be done with a good old fashioned keyboard n mouse.  I just need to improve my skills and decide what suite I like most.

I HATE blender.  To this day I have no idea how to even approach that program.  I love 3ds max it 's the only program I can actually use and make decent stuff in, but I am considering maybe switching to z-brush in the future.

Funny thing is even though it's one of the thing is on my jack of all trades list, I have 3DS Max, Maya, Z-Brush, Unity3D but right now I'm more into making the switch from acoustic to digital.  Piano and guitar to Synthesizer/electric.  It's crazy man I just got this setup and an electric guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLcM5xVies
Now this isn't the greatest setup on the planet but hooked up into a computer it's brilliant, you can make anything sound like anything if that makes sense.  One set of keys or strings can sound like ANYTHING

EDIT:  Anyway, like I said I have the toolset if you need an extra set of hands, even though those hands have never held a digital paint brush or 3D pencil except in CAD.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 18:24:38 by Changeling »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
You could help with tedious stuff that I will probably be fixing.  Its pretty easy but there is a lot of it.  Like doors for example.  A lot of the door layers are cut short, hardly noticeable but annoying none the less.  All you need is a few photoshop automations to fix it up but in bulk it takes a lot of time.

Also we definitely agree on one thing for sure.  AC models do not belong in this game, AT ALL.  The movie was, meh.  Kinda hard to follow in english, maybe itd be better with a better translation.  But I hate the way how that one stupid movie basically made Cloud the poster child for all things "emo" in video games.  Not that I have a problem with anything "emo" except for maybe the self mutilation.

Its just Clouds original character had a lot more depth I felt.  In the movie he kinda felt like a different guy altogether.  Kinda wish they never made it.  Also I hate his design.  His hair looks more like a woman's hair and I don't like how they toned down the massive spike in front.  That was awesome man.  TA's battle cloud is my favorite for this reason.  Its the only one based on original artwork rather than the new canon "girly man" Cloud.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 18:41:38 by yarLson »