Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News  (Read 124638 times)

Timber

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News
« Reply #250 on: 2012-02-16 08:45:25 »
No idea. I wouldn't be able to rank the ones you listed either - they are all great games in their own way, even 11 :P

But that's my point really, XIII-2 is a cool game in it's own right. Don't get swept up in the 'but these final fantasy games were better' nonsense. If you like JRPGs it's worth a try, and if you don't like it, maybe the next one will be more your flavour?

I can only imagine how much better received the game would be if it didn't have 'Final Fantasy XIII' in the title..., or even 'Final Fantasy' for that matter. People get too emotional, and can't help but compare it to their others favourites!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2012-02-16 08:47:50 »
The reason I bought FF was because it was great and because it was worth the money... these "things" aren't, and for me personally these are not worth the console either.

The older FF's were better, in pretty much every way apart from graphics.   If this is an FF game, it should be held to account AS a FF game.  I don't buy for 1 second the argument that we should forget the whole reason we bought the series in the first place. To me, it sounds like an excuse for just how far the series has sunk.

If I stay at a 5 star hotel every year and then when I go back one time, it has become to a 1 star hotel, I don't pay the same money for it, or stay there.  I go elsewhere.  It does not comfort me to know that even a 1 star hotel has a bed.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-16 09:00:12 by DLPB »

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2012-02-17 21:03:32 »
Except this game was worth the money. FFXIII was also worth the money, there was just almost no point in having a controller for the first 6 hours! Hahaha. But which was more worth the money, if you're looking for a FF experience? XIII-2.

I can't refute that the focus and therefore limitation with XIII was the graphics. Stunning, and I think the best I've seen this generation in both games. Interestingly, XIII-2 isn't quite as pretty, which seems to fit everyone's gameplay over graphics argument.

People are understandably butthurt about XIII, XIV and maybe even some from XII. These people have gone to the cynical place in which I usually dwell, where a blanket of hatred is placed over everything new because mistakes have been made. XIII-2 is their way of saying "OK, we get it, we did it wrong. Here, is this any better?" and the answer is YES, it most certainly is better. But the user scores are jaded fans, again butthurt and probably annoyed by the "to be continued".

For me, it is most certainly the game that has felt most like a FF game since FFX. XII was directed by the tactics team while the "real" FF team worked on XIII (originally for PS2 then PS3, hence the huge dev. cycle). XIII deviated too much from the formula. XIII-2 is like an amalgamation of old and new, and the system works beautifully.

Would I rank it in the top 50%? For quality (and I don't mean graphics) yes. For story? It feels like a middle chapter. So probably not. For me, the golden 3 are PSX era. In my head they cannot be beat. I loved the SNES era too, IV or VI I cannot choose between.

Everyone says "oh if it wasn't called Final Fantasy we wouldn't be talking about this and it would be amazing blah blah blah" - and that's true. But it doesn't matter, because what I'm saying is Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a FINAL FANTASY GAME. XIII didn't feel like one, granted. XIII-2 does. That's what I'm trying to get across here.

And DLPB, if we're going for hotel metaphors, I really have to be honest and say that your 5 star to 1 star thing is not applicable. It's more like you've been going to a 5 star hotel, then you back another time, it's a renovated 5 star hotel. That's a bit more plausible. XIII is not a 5 star experience, but it is jaw dropping. XIII-2 is, but it's less jaw dropping. It's also the least linear FF game i've ever played aside from XII, so that argument doesn't really hold anymore. Though all FF games by nature are linear, so that's irrelevant.

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2012-02-18 15:58:25 »
i think when people say linear they mean the illusion of choice. i mean we all know FF games have one ending, and more often than not you'll eventually hit dead-ends in all paths but the correct one but FF fans love to explore.

for example the cavern of stolen fayth was the definition of linearity to me. here was a dungeon, that in previous games you had to work for an aeon like yojimbo, but instead it's a completely linear dungeon with dead-ends that you can see from your minimap. you just run down those paths to collect a treasure chest and move on. there is no exploration.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2012-02-19 15:26:05 »
Well I just finished. Wtf was that? xDD

SPOILERS

Talk about twists. So much for Lightning's happy ending. Is Serah dead or what?:/

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2012-02-19 17:30:48 »
I'm pretty positive she is, from reading the exclusive interview in the collector's edition guide.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2012-02-19 19:09:34 »
I guess Lightning's scenario will explain it all then.

Hopefully when they announce XIII-3, the other characters will be playable.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2012-02-19 20:22:05 »
FANG. I WANT FANG.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2012-02-19 20:51:09 »
Well SPOILERS

Sazh saved hers and Vanille's crystal, so if they find a way to revert them (you know they will), then they could be playable. Maybe.

Things that confuse me though:

What year is Sazh from? He and Dajh look exactly the same, and how did they get there?

Caius said that he killed Lightning before Noel and Serah get to Valhalla. Does that mean that he killed her once Lightning sent Noel for Serah? And that the Lightning in New Bodum 700AF was actually one from just before that fight? :o

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2012-02-19 21:23:37 »
Caius was lying. According to Toriyama, Lightning turned to crystal "so her sister's sacrifice would not be in vain".

Sazh and Dajh are from 2 years after the events of the original XIII. He was able to use the gates to time travel. Both Lightning and Sazh's full stories will be available in episodic DLC. Again from the interview I'm talking about.

Only I wish they'd hurry up, because I hate seeing those 2 greyed out gates on my Historia Crux map!

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2012-02-20 17:15:29 »
So apparently, it's hinted that Chocolina is the grown up version of Sazh's Chocobo chick.

Mind =  Blown.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2012-02-20 18:25:40 »
I kind of wish I didn't read this... oh well.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2012-02-20 19:10:10 »
I kind of wish I didn't read this... oh well.

Doesn't help no one though to put SPOYLORZ LAWL in the thread title or posts really.

Guess now I really don't need to play it.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2012-02-20 20:16:10 »
Doesn't help no one though to put SPOYLORZ LAWL in the thread title or posts really.

Guess now I really don't need to play it.
Yeah but this thread is to discuss about the game and of course your gonna have to expect some spoilers or there isn't anything to really talk about the game except the game itself
« Last Edit: 2012-02-20 20:18:41 by e1sunz »

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2012-02-20 21:05:06 »
Since this place doesn't have spoiler tags (for whatever ridiculous stupid reason) reading over posts like that can't be helped. The To Be Continued was spoiled for me a page or so back before I completed it.

And people have been writing "SPOILER" which is really the best we can do in this situation.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2012-02-20 21:08:06 »
I don't think you CAN spoil FFXIII-2...  it would be like trying to spoil a rotten egg hahaha  :-D

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2012-02-20 21:11:41 »
Not really. There's nothing rotten about it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2012-02-20 21:16:44 »
 :evil:  you know I disagree, but was only teasing anyway!   :evil:

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2012-02-20 21:23:00 »
I realise that :P

But I think you should remember that you're not supposed to baselessly bash it in this thread. That's why Ultima Espio repeatedly had to quote himself a few pages back, and that's why you made your "what went wrong" thread. ^_^

I'm not trying to belittle your opinion, but you've already said you wouldn't post in this thread anymore, so I guess I'm wondering why you feel the need to tell everyone how much you hate this game when you haven't played it yet. Just chill out? If you need to bash the game, do it in another thread, that's not what this ones for.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2012-02-20 21:30:27 »
ah was this the same thread (I don't keep much track of things)?  My bad.  And yeah true .. I did.  I guess that it came out and I read up on it got me more riled.  Back into the abyss for me.  Note to mods, make sure to just delete any of my posts here in the future... should I come back again.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-20 21:35:41 by DLPB »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2012-02-21 16:05:34 »

Not bad for 10 mins work is it? xD

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2012-02-21 18:13:07 »
It's Tifacolina!!!!

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #272 on: 2012-02-21 22:28:39 »
It's Tifacolina!!!!

Tifac(k)olina... sorry I coudn't resist... NWO stuff!!!
« Last Edit: 2012-02-21 22:30:14 by Leonhart7413 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2012-02-22 18:19:01 »
*** Before you read on, it *might* be a little NSFW but nothing too major. Just don't complain :P ***

New DLC. 2 new costumes for Serah and Noel, EACH one separated cost 240 Microsoft Points or 2 euros. That's about 3,50$ USD. Seriously? A single costume for that? They made two. And Serah's costume is totally out of the mind for a true FF fan.

I mean come on. That's not where a costume like Serah's belong. Noel one's passes though, but still.

Tell me what you think. Square should have stayed Soft (ha ha).

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #274 on: 2012-02-22 22:33:24 »
*** Before you read on, it *might* be a little NSFW but nothing too major. Just don't complain :P ***

New DLC. 2 new costumes for Serah and Noel, EACH one separated cost 240 Microsoft Points or 2 euros. That's about 3,50$ USD. Seriously? A single costume for that? They made two. And Serah's costume is totally out of the mind for a true FF fan.

I mean come on. That's not where a costume like Serah's belong. Noel one's passes though, but still.

Tell me what you think. Square should have stayed Soft (ha ha).

The bikini suit was advertised so much on youtube!