Author Topic: [In Development] FF8 Voiceover Project  (Read 106148 times)

Takigan

• View Profile
Re: [In Development] FF8 Voiceover Project
« Reply #100 on: 2016-04-20 02:34:15 »
Deadline?

AlaDoucheSG

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2016-04-20 16:30:23 »
Deadline?

Also interested to know this.  I'm interested in auditioning for Mayor Dobo, but it may be a couple days before I could submit anything (I don't have any decent recording equipment at home).

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2016-04-20 18:32:40 »
I'm going to keep it open for a few months, but if I find somebody perfect for a role, I will start working with them. I want people to take the time to study the lines and submit a good audition.

Risaoko

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2016-05-22 17:09:21 »
Hi, there. I can make an audition as Ellone :) It will be a plesure to make it.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2016-05-23 00:07:40 »
Hi, there. I can make an audition as Ellone :) It will be a plesure to make it.
Go for it! Auditions are open until July 31 2016. Send your audition to [email protected] or post a link to it in this thread or the one in the OP.

Risaoko

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2016-05-28 11:44:09 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/654ndfb3mskso0w/Ellone%20voice.mp3?dl=0

It's my voice for Ellone Audition. I'm in her's age so the voice will fit on her :)

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2016-07-11 02:43:53 »
A progress update for y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6Xbd7_kII

We're still here.

Another Cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2016-07-22 23:07:43 »
Thanks for the update Shard - thank you for sticking with this.

Don't worry about it taking time either - it can be really hard co-coordinating so many people on a volunteer basis hence why so many mods fall apart.  What is really needed to make it work is not just the talent but the patience of someone like yourself to keep coming back and pushing forward inch by inch.

Also, love the sound effects at the end of your latest update, gives more depth to the voice acting and better connects it back to the game we all know and love.

Can't wait to check back in a month or so and see who was cast as Squall and maybe a few months later for some samples - so important to nail his voice!

Good luck with it mate!

Takigan

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2016-07-26 05:22:35 »

Also, love the sound effects at the end of your latest update, gives more depth to the voice acting and better connects it back to the game we all know and love.

Totally agree...That last demo was amazing with its use of soundstage, acoustic adjustments, sound effects and whatnot.  I've sent in some auditions for this over the past couple months, and I must say that whether I'm selected or not, this is going to be an exciting project to continue to watch unfold, and ultimately play.

TL;DR - After watching some notable fandubs, I'm looking forward to what this project can do from an acting perspective that the original script failed to portray.

But to elaborate on your point, what I've only recently started looking forward to more than anything else is seeing the more natural and modern take on what was originally kind of a flimsy script by the makers.  And even more, getting to see what this batch of quality actors will be able to coax from it.  I've been watching FF8 Voices by Shudo Ranmaru, and there's a scene during the Sorceress Assassination Arc at the end of Disc 1 where Rinoa takes it upon herself to neutralize the sorceress with the Odine Bangle.  This scene up until where Edea kills Deling and Squall saves Rinoa from Edea wasn't a particularly notable scene from what I remember in the game.  But it's supposed to be.  This scene was meant to give us more insight into Rinoa's character...she was supposed to be portrayed as naive and even a bit oversensitive (as are Watts and Zone) and we are supposed to see her attempting to prove and change herself, only to realize that she needs other people.   She can't do it alone.  "I was really, REALLY scared Squall....I couldn't fight alone". Which is then supposed to tie back to Squall and him being "alone" without "Ellone" and other nodes in this overarching theme.

Unfortunately the storyboard focuses too much on Squall in this section, and the translation (and script itself) is weak, and it becomes more about us saving her from her stupidity than it is about learning more about her character.  I remember her coming off as little more than annoying in the scene after she wakes up from Edea's spell....when in reality we're supposed to leave that scene with a better appreciation for her.  This is something I learned from the extraordinary acting that came from Amber's (Shudo's) team.  You hear her determination as she's hoisting herself up the boxes into the presidential palace, you hear the slowly welling fear as she's introducing herself to the sorceress, and you hear the sudden shock of terror when her arm starts moving by itself as she's lifted off the ground.  It's a great series, I recommend checking it out as we wait the long wait for this massive undertaking to slowly materialize. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBF9FFD88DF31A580

And that's what I'm looking forward to....the cast bringing a new level of life out of this game that was stifled by the limits of the poor writing and localization.  And based on the demos/trailers we've seen so far, I think we can expect something magical from this.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2016-09-06 03:14:11 »
New video - Squad Assignments

It was done via twitch because the newest version of OBS doesn't stream to file properly so I had no editing capability.

Another Cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2016-09-10 21:43:53 »
Thanks for the update Shard.

I like Squall, not what I imagined and will need to hear him more to get used to him but I like it!

Keep up the great work!

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2016-09-12 04:59:25 »
Attention all cool people! The project is nearing the 50% completion milestone, we will probably hit it within the next few months. To celebrate, I will be releasing a video of a particular scene, chosen by you!!!! You have three choices, so choose carefully. Simply visit this straw poll to vote, then wait patiently for that 50% to creep ever closer.

Takigan

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2016-09-12 07:30:24 »
I noticed you updated the main post for the newly casted major roles.  Have you also already cast all minor roles as well (Zone, Watts, Julia, Ellone, Biggs Wedge, etc.)?

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2016-09-12 17:03:25 »
No, not all of the minor roles are cast.

eisgiga

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2016-12-15 02:18:12 »
What about Adele do you have somehting for her ?
I am a  male but maybe that could also fit for Adele since she is also has a manly apperiance

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2016-12-15 17:26:57 »
The project has officially passed the 50% completion milestone. Here's your last chance to vote for which of the following scenes I will tease next on youtube: http://www.strawpoll.me/11208197

eisgiga

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2016-12-15 18:17:04 »
So you already have someone for Adel
It would be nice if you could answer that but its ok :wink:

Takigan

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2016-12-15 19:27:11 »
I'm glad the Dollet transport scenes are ahead in the polls. I hope that wins. We just passed that point in our fandub and I've found it's one of the best scenes on disc 1 to really get a sense of the strength of your voice cast since it features the 4 main cast members with the widest personality ranges (Squall, Zell, Seifer, Quistis) and let's us see the interplay between them with some highly emotive lines.  Squall brooding over Ellone, Zell and Seifer both swinging for the fences with their over the top personalities and Quistis shooting for each pole, both showing her sweet side for Squall and yelling at the other two for being so obnoxious.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2016-12-15 21:50:03 »
So you already have someone for Adel
It would be nice if you could answer that but its ok :wink:
I don't, but she only has one line so it's not a big deal to get it.

SilverSpades

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2016-12-28 06:07:39 »
The project has officially passed the 50% completion milestone. Here's your last chance to vote for which of the following scenes I will tease next on youtube: http://www.strawpoll.me/11208197

50% is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats to the team!

Takigan

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2017-01-17 06:51:37 »
Another question that just occurred to me; Will the audio files from the project be swappable via an audio folder?   Like, if someone wanted to painstakingly record and replace the Zell files with their own voice (not sure why they'd want to though; Senorcape is legit), would they be able to do so?

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2017-01-17 17:00:12 »
The files are numbered based on a sound id and are imported into one of the game's files via Ff8Audio. If you have the sound id's (they're in my game script) you can replace them. I will release the script some time after I release the mod.

Another Cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2017-03-04 19:30:40 »
Hi Shard

Hope you are well.

Can we please have an update?  Things still going alright?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2017-03-05 16:42:31 »
Everything's fine. I've got mainly Irvine and Selphie left to record and edit.

You guys are gonna love the Irvine I have. He's perfect.

ohy85

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2017-05-04 13:47:17 »
Been waiting for 3 years now. Hope it gets done soon.  :)