Author Topic: What is Final Fantasy about?  (Read 7293 times)

PansyPuckett

• View Profile
What is Final Fantasy about?
« on: 2017-06-14 18:09:27 »
 WHAT IS FINAL FANTASY ABOUT? I want to buy a final fantasy game and I want to watch the advent children but I never played final fantasy before so I have no idea what it is about can someone please explain?

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
Re: What is Final Fantasy about?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-06-14 20:36:49 »
You'd be amazed at how difficult that question actually is...

Keep in mind barely any Final Fantasy games actually have anything to do with each other unless the titles actually intertwine. Is there a more specific Final Fantasy title you would like to ask about?

You'd get an answer far faster

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-06-14 21:08:40 »
From a wiki:

Final Fantasy is a science fiction and fantasy media franchise created by Hironobu Sakaguchi, and developed and owned by Square Enix. The franchise centers on a series of fantasy and science fantasy role-playing video games

After switching over to the Famicom, there was a time when I wasn't happy with anything I was creating. I thought of retiring from the game industry and I created Final Fantasy as my final project. That's why the title includes the word 'final' but for me, the title 'Final Fantasy' reflects my emotional state at the time and the feeling that time had stopped. They say that technologically, it's good to keep going, and each time, we give it our all and expend our skills and energy until we can go no further; this is what I consider to be the 'final fantasy'.
—Hironobu Sakaguchi

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_series

From a player's perspective:
Final Fantasy is a paradise blessed to get into.  :)
It's always been immerse for me; constant engagement from start to finish, never short, never dull.
I've only played Chrono Trigger/FFIV/FFIV The After Years/IX and XII, but what I've known so far it's always been amazing.
FFIX was my first love and when I realized what I wanted to do in the future.

And he's right, each Final Fantasy always has it's unique story line and characters, and intertwines some things, like character from previous FF, some enemies etc.
One thing I've noticed from FF too is, it's usually one of those (almost) fairy tale like ending where the story ends with a "happily ever after". Then again having only played 5 out of the series I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-14 21:12:49 by dclem »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2017-06-15 17:08:05 »
Generally speaking here is the basic plot of all Final Fantasies:

Some terrible event occurred hundreds, thousands or just a few years ago (sometimes repeatedly). Unlikely heroes get caught in this struggle to prevent it from happening again or from causing more problems.

There are similar mechanics in each game: leveling up (No levels in 10's series), stat increasing, equipment upgrades etc. Lots of meme-level story/character elements: chocobos, characters named Cid, reused enemy designs. Magic just exists and people accept it even though it's rarely practically used outside of battles. Lots of numbers flashing on the screen during battles.

As the others have said there's little connecting any of the main numbered titles. Some of them occur in the same universe (supposedly FFX occurs on a different planet in the distant past of FFVII) and others just reference other entries.

it's usually one of those (almost) fairy tale like ending where the story ends with a "happily ever after"
Depends on the ones you play. VI altered the world permanently and left it in a possibly decaying state. X wasn't very "fairy tale" until the ending of X-2. XIII wasn't great either. Were you listing Chrono Trigger as a final fantasy game? Of the dozen+ endings you could get I'd only describe 2 of them as "happily ever after" endings. Oh, that's another thing about FF's, they only have one ending each. VI has different ending clips depending on which characters you recruit by the end of the game.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-06-15 17:43:23 »
VI has a nice ending (Well, kind of. I mean... the baddy actually gets his way for a long time)
VII has an open ended ... ending.  It's left to interpretation. Though mostly a nice ending.
VIII has a nice ending.
IX has a nice ending.
X Does not.  It was very gutsy writing. I liked it. A lot.
X-2 should be burned. All copies. Everywhere.
All FFs after X are, in my view, a waste of time.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-16 03:48:48 by DLPB »

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-06-16 22:58:15 »
So Chrono Trigger isn't a Final Fantasy game after all?

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-06-17 13:23:18 »
Final Fantasy is basically interactive anime stories, usually it's a group of young adults or teens who has to go on a journey to confront the evil doer who wants to rule or destroy the world.

Pros: Beautiful music, beautiful pre rendered backgrounds, beautifully designed worlds.
Cons: Ridiculous character designs and characters, mediocre storylines, basically anime. Quite childish, the games are designed for 10-15 year olds. You're not going to get mature storylines, a mature version of a final fantasy game could be any pulp fiction story pretty much.

If you want to try one out first don't expect to be blown away by the games, by today's standard they're 7.5/10 at most. Try one of these and avoid all others unless you want to be disgusted by the games.

•Final Fantasy IV
•Final Fantasy VII
•Final Fanasy VIII
•Final Fantasy IX
•Final Fantasy X

All others are shit.

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-06-17 19:22:56 »
I like Final Fantasy XII.  :)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #8 on: 2017-06-17 20:14:15 »
So Chrono Trigger isn't a Final Fantasy game after all?
It is not. It was made by many of the developers who have worked on Final Fantasy games. Square(soft/enix) at that time made many different RPGs. Final Fantasy being just one of the series.

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-06-17 22:43:55 »
I knew it! Wait 'till i tell Deniece I swear!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2017-06-18 16:54:10 »
It has more of a claim to the FF name than some because of appearing in Final Fantasy Chronicles on the PlayStation.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017-06-18 18:19:00 »
All FFs after X are, in my view, a waste of time.
I liked XII. It was a good throwback to the medieval steampunk setting that 6 and 9 had, and aside from Vaan and Penelo being useless and totally unnecessary to the plot, the story, world, and combat were well done.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #12 on: 2017-06-18 21:52:16 »
For me the Final Fantasy VIII was the title that helped me develop my character and ethics as a teenager, though life proved to me that FF reality exists only in the games lol. Also with the physics. :)

Now I'm playing Mobius which takes a lot of time to level up but it's free.

IF I had money I would buy a ps4 and play XV and the FFVII remake (when it's out).

Playing the old FFVII, VIII  and IX with the mods by the qhimm forums has nothing to get jealous of the newly released jrpg games.

Also VI has an amazing story to tell and satisfies the needs for a retro feeling. The time gaming was all about fan and script.

III, IV are better looking in mobile devices,tablets etc.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-18 21:57:31 by LeonhartGR »

Triggzy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2017-08-19 06:33:04 »
You could not know anything about Final Fantasy and still enjoy Advent Children. If you're still planning on watching it I mean.

CamSlurp
« Last Edit: 2018-07-31 23:38:21 by Triggzy »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2017-08-20 00:08:42 »
Final Fantasy 5 and 12 are both worth playing too. Steam/mobile version for 5 (gba is pretty good too) and definitely the PS4 remaster for 12.

You could not know anything about Final Fantasy and still enjoy Advent Children. If you're still planning on watching it I mean.

I disagree. Without having played the game, not knowing anything about the characters, who Jenova is or even who the last villain is, the movie won't make any sense at all. (And it already doesn't make much to begin with).
« Last Edit: 2017-08-20 00:45:28 by -Ric- »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2017-08-20 00:25:22 »
^ What he said.

And what I said > http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16064.0