Author Topic: WIP a patch to convert new FF7 to old  (Read 112516 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
WIP a patch to convert new FF7 to old
« on: 2012-08-15 16:09:52 »
I have been working on a little patch to convert the new Re-release of FF7 into the old version of FF7, the patch is still in its test phase but i would like to release a test version soon, but before i release i would like to ask the mods and admins if its OK for me to release Registry entries (this is the only thing, i am not putting any files from the original game just the registry) from the original game with the patch ? if i can it will make things easier but if i can't this patch will only be useable to those with the original installation disc as well as the Re-release or maybe i will try to find a workaround for the registry.

EDIT:- Just made version 0.3,
changes in this version
the installation path should autodetect where you installed FF7 2012
changed the way flevel is patched (old method sometimes renamed flevel even if patch wasn't successful)
added a option to unpatch flevel BUT ONLY FOR A CLEAN FLEVEL, if you install mods it will no longer unpatch

get it here
http://www.mediafire.com/?yeacw1v0uf6d9av
also if 0.2 installed correctly you DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL THIS

EQ2Alyza was nice enough to make a video guide on how to use this at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfiVZ7YGFfA

ACHIEVEMENTS, CLOUD SAVES AND CHARACTER BOOSTER DO NOT WORK WITH THIS PATCH
« Last Edit: 2012-09-03 07:58:47 by kranmer »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: WIP a patch to convert new FF7 to old
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-15 16:46:38 »
Which purpose does the patch have? Essentially, it looks like
>new user -> buys new ff7 pc -> converts it to old -> can use all mods
is your goal.
Or are you going to try and keep some of the 'improvements' from the re-release?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-15 16:48:31 »
The only reason is the fact you can buy FF7 for less. People are moaning all over about not being able to find old FF7 in shops.  I suppose anyone who bought this for any other reason and was suckered by Enix (again), can always convert this too... and still enjoy the old mods and not have to pay again.

TheNathanParable

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-15 17:02:44 »
Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Until now, the PC FF7 was technically abandonware; not available in shops, and no longer officially supported. The only way to get abandoned games is to download them illegally, under the moral reasoning that it's at the least incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to get a hold of the game through legit means (in the case of FF7, the former).

This is why CD Projekt started Good Old Games.com, a website where you can easily purchase old games at fair prices, all legal. GOG has the additional benefit of being DRM free, and working closely with the various modding communities to provide ways on getting the games to work on modern systems (this usually involves using DosBox, though games such as Zork:The Grand Inquisitor and Thief do come with fan-made patches).

On the one hand, Square Enix seems to have paid attention to the modding community by adding in higher quality FMVs, .ogg support, and support for higher resolutions. Unfortunately they completely ignored GOG's example and stuffed it with a whole load of securom. =/

Oh if only this had been a GOG release and not a Square Enix exclusive release, there would be nowhere near as many headaches.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-15 17:04:22 »
I personally don't mind spending $10 to help a company I love. It's not in my blood to post all the negatives about them. I like to focus on the positives because after all, they did produce two of my favorite games of all time in Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-15 17:40:54 »
I'm cool with it.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-15 22:14:26 »
Which purpose does the patch have? Essentially, it looks like
>new user -> buys new ff7 pc -> converts it to old -> can use all mods
is your goal.
Or are you going to try and keep some of the 'improvements' from the re-release?
Yeah that is the basic goal, the only thing kept from the new release is the movies, everything else is the original game (which can be modded)

I'm cool with it.
Good enough for me, thanks for permission.
--------------------

OK here is a first beta version (this may have bugs that's why it is a beta version, once i know this works i will make a new thread in the release section)
So far it is only for the English language, i intend to make ones to convert other languages at a later date if possible.
http://www.mediafire.com/?azlaszup1sgtgsi
run that and set it to the correct folder then install, it should do all the patching and file copying automatically, after the installer finishes then you need to do something, run FF7Config and setup Aali's driver and fullscreen on the graphics page and also setup your sound settings, apply the settings and close FF7Config,
now you need to sort out how to pass the CD checks, if you have the original CD insert them into your D:\ CD drive, if you do not have them i recommend you set up a virtual CD drive and use Dummy ISO's or use the method of renaming a Harddrive or USB drive to FF7DISC1, if you need more help on this i will try to help but if you are upto speed now all you need to do is run FF7.exe and you should be able to run the old version of the game.
I have also tried to leave the new version intact as much as possible so with any luck this will not get in the way of the new version, also this has only been tested on a 32bit OS so anyone with a 64bit OS who can test it would be helpful.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-15 22:37:11 »
this might be i didnt set something right but here are results. also im 64 bit

intro fmvs=good
prelude credits= playing but mostly white
menu= i get an error "error couldnt lock sound buffer"black background, anything els on screen is mostly white
saves dont load from new or old filepath
controls are old
gameplay. characters in color eyes are white everything else is white

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-15 23:00:46 »
If you're using NVIDIA, try the 'Everything made of light' fix.  Only thing I know of that consistently gave that all white deal (old game).  Worth a shot anyways.

No clue what the sound buffer deal is about though.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-15 23:05:17 »
havent heard of it know where to find it? i do have nvidia

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-08-15 23:06:44 »
this might be i didnt set something right but here are results. also im 64 bit

intro fmvs=good
prelude credits= playing but mostly white
menu= i get an error "error couldnt lock sound buffer"black background, anything els on screen is mostly white
saves dont load from new or old filepath
controls are old
gameplay. characters in color eyes are white everything else is white
FMV playing well is good, that means the registry stuff worked.
Well the white problem sounds like the shaders problem, try using the Nolight shaders,
to do this go into the shaders folder and then into the nolight folder and copy and paste these 2 files into the shaders folder overwriting the other files then try running the game again,
also i have no idea about the  "error couldnt lock sound buffer" but i will look into this, but apart from that error does the sound work ?
Also the saves should work from a folder called SAVES in the FF7 root (or virtualstore if you have UAC active), but if you are not sure you should make a new save and then find where it saves it.

EDIT- someone beat me to it, yeah the everything is light fix is the nolight folder in the shaders folder.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-15 23:31:58 »
no light thing it didnt fix anything. first video in game has no sound but intro videos play sound. maybe this helps

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-08-15 23:34:42 »
EDIT- someone beat me to it, yeah the everything is light fix is the nolight folder in the shaders folder.

As I understood it, that was an older method.  I thought we were now supposed to do this:
Code: [Select]
If you're using an NVIDIA Video card, the nolight shaders require modification.
    Aali's 'everything is made of light' fix for NVIDIA cards:
        Use Notepad to open the file .\shaders\nolight\main.frag
        Move the line 'texture_color = texture2D(tex, gl_TexCoord[0].st);' to above the IF statement:
            texture_color = texture2D(tex, gl_TexCoord[0].st);
            if(texture)

Which I've done on my own system and it worked fine.  Not sure why it's better or whatever than the other way, just what I've read here and there around the forums.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-15 23:40:06 »
Disabling shaders is what I do.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-16 19:06:03 by DLPB »

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-15 23:53:41 »
disabling shaders did it for me. saves saved in a completely new place. i think you forgot a "\"
its installed in c:\games\final fantasy vii
the saves save to c:\games\final fantasy viisave

if there were a \  between final fantasy vii and save itd be correct

still getting that sound error.

is anyone else trying this besides me?

edit
rerelease+kranmer patch+bootleg=?
ill find out soon

edit
worked great i didnt receive the error for sound buffer didnt have to mess with shaders at all. menu overhaul installed fine. testers asap
this also fixed save directory. after the bootleg install it starts loading from the old save folder for me its C:\games\final fantasy vii\save
« Last Edit: 2012-08-16 03:09:53 by squall8cloud7 »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-08-16 07:23:19 »
disabling shaders did it for me. saves saved in a completely new place. i think you forgot a "\"
its installed in c:\games\final fantasy vii
the saves save to c:\games\final fantasy viisave

if there were a \  between final fantasy vii and save itd be correct
Just checked and you are correct, i missed the \ on one of the registry changes, i will fix this soon, also i am still not sure about the sound buffer problem but it may be caused by the new video's, i will look into that soon.
Also glad to hear bootleg helped you get it working correctly.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-08-16 07:55:38 »
sound buffer problem but it may be caused by the new video's, i will look into that soon.
I can confirm that it is, it's only in the SE logo (that I've seen) because the video is longer then intended I think.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-08-16 08:15:10 »
I need the path to the new ff7 game's exe file.  As in the registry path to where it is set.  For 32 and 64bit.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-08-16 09:06:25 »
I can confirm that it is, it's only in the SE logo (that I've seen) because the video is longer then intended I think.
Thanks for confirming that Mako

I need the path to the new ff7 game's exe file.  As in the registry path to where it is set.  For 32 and 64bit.
i have a list of all game files and registry entries made by the installer (on a 32bit machine) and the only one with paths are the uninstall keys (the activation reg key also has the path but i can't post that here because it may contain activation info), the uninstall reg is
Code: [Select]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{141B8BA9-BFFD-4635-AF64-078E31010EC3}_is1]
"Inno Setup: Setup Version"="5.4.2 (a)"
"Inno Setup: App Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Square Enix\\FINAL FANTASY VII"
"InstallLocation"="C:\\Program Files\\Square Enix\\FINAL FANTASY VII\\"
"Inno Setup: Icon Group"="Square Enix\\FINAL FANTASY VII"
"Inno Setup: User"="Peter Davidson"
"Inno Setup: Selected Tasks"="desktopicon,quicklaunchicon"
"Inno Setup: Deselected Tasks"=""
"Inno Setup: Language"="en"
"DisplayName"="FINAL FANTASY VII"
"DisplayIcon"="C:\\Program Files\\Square Enix\\FINAL FANTASY VII\\unins000.exe"
"UninstallString"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Square Enix\\FINAL FANTASY VII\\unins000.exe\""
"QuietUninstallString"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Square Enix\\FINAL FANTASY VII\\unins000.exe\" /SILENT"
"DisplayVersion"="1.0"
"Publisher"="Square Enix"
"URLInfoAbout"="http://weblet.square-enix.com/banner.php?id=c8544ea6a695c04f337683bc2ffb4b06"
"HelpLink"="http://weblet.square-enix.com/banner.php?id=c8544ea6a695c04f337683bc2ffb4b06"
"URLUpdateInfo"="http://weblet.square-enix.com/banner.php?id=c8544ea6a695c04f337683bc2ffb4b06"
"NoModify"=dword:00000001
"NoRepair"=dword:00000001
"InstallDate"="20120814"
"MajorVersion"=dword:00000001
"MinorVersion"=dword:00000000
I am not sure if this is the same on all machines but it possibly will be (unsure about 64bit machines). Also since i didn't get these reg entries myself i am unsure if there are anymore but the person who gave me them said this was all that was created. Hope that helps.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-08-16 09:22:22 »
Cheers!  Just correcting a minor crisis.  I will get back to this later :)

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-08-16 11:58:55 »
it very well might be the movies for the sound buffer error. after i ran bootleg that error went away.

Tooks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-08-16 13:27:07 »
I'm pretty new here (and to modding/using mods in general) but I'll give this a test, see if I can get it working. I'm a 64bit user, btw.

Edit: Files installed without a problem, only issue is now FF7.EXE is asking for a disk 1. I've renamed my USB HDD to FF7DISC1 but it doesn't notice it. I'm not quite sure how to make a dummy iso so kind of at a stuck-point here.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-16 13:34:27 by Tooks »

Sebuzzie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-08-16 13:46:11 »

is anyone else trying this besides me?

I'm gonna test it today. It might take me longer cause I'm not as good as you people with modding and stuff. But I'll let you know :)

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-08-16 14:09:33 »
I'm gonna test it today. It might take me longer cause I'm not as good as you people with modding and stuff. But I'll let you know :)
Every tester is useful on this, thanks for anytime you spend on it.

I'm pretty new here (and to modding/using mods in general) but I'll give this a test, see if I can get it working. I'm a 64bit user, btw.

Edit: Files installed without a problem, only issue is now FF7.EXE is asking for a disk 1. I've renamed my USB HDD to FF7DISC1 but it doesn't notice it. I'm not quite sure how to make a dummy iso so kind of at a stuck-point here.
Well i have made a second beta version (the only difference is that this fixes the \ in the registry), and i have included 2 REG files, open the REG file in NOTEPAD for your system (64bit for you) and edit the line that says
"DataDrive"="D:\\"
change the D:\\ to whatever drive your USB drive is, so if its your H:\ drive change it to
"DataDrive"="H:\\"
then save it and open it and click YES when asked, and that should allow it to use your USB as a CD. Hope this helps.

EDIT- HAHAHAHA i forgot to post the link to v0.2, sorry about that
http://www.mediafire.com/?jvzjuojzb9cb96c
GET THE LINK IN THE FIRST POST FOR THE LATEST VERSION
« Last Edit: 2012-08-28 15:15:35 by kranmer »

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-08-16 14:17:37 »
just out of curiosity. the ff7.exe in the patch is that from before or after 1.02 official patch