Author Topic: Visual studio 2005 project  (Read 3966 times)

alkis

Visual studio 2005 project
« on: 2006-07-29 11:01:13 »
When I first saw this, I couldn't believe my eyes! Congratulations to all, I felt like contributing with something, and I have started making a VS2005 project. The coding style is much much different from what I use though and I am having problems adding the compiler specific #defines. Which is the main platform header, in q-gears? I also see you use a lot of old std header files, why is that?

Good job and I wish this leads to something great.
Alkis

alkis

Re: Visual studio 2005 project
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-29 12:02:56 »
Ok I am trying to compile right now, I needed to add some include <windows.h> in GLdisplay.cpp.. Why aren't all platform and STD headers in one place? I think this should be addressed. I get some errors, I'm going tout for now though. Please tell me what you think of my comments.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-29 13:42:52 »
There is no "main platform header". This is for a few reasons.

1) Yours truly here runs linux only. I originally proposed that we should use as many cross-platfrom tools as possable. This is why GCC/SDL/OpenGL was selected. Sadly about the halfway point between the start and now, it would seem that the OpenGL implementaion on my laptop, (My only real working computer right now), is seriously borked. Even though I can get the system to compile, it segfaults. The fix to this is for me to get off my lazy rear and bring my "real" computer back on-line, so I can actully execute the code that I'm programming. This will most likely require a re-insall of Linux. (Suse 10 ran like crap, got any recommendations?) I'm also a full time student that's a little short on time. I started this thing as a summer project and didn't think it would explode the way it did.

2) The one who is doing the real "heavy lifiting" in the code department is using GCC in win32, but using an IDE called DevC++. This is cool, but it is the IDE that generates makefiles, not autoconf. This makes other platfroms have to play "catch up" every time the DevC++ codebase is updated. On the flipside, when I went through and "cleaned house" by fixing the upper/lowercase filename issue I was having, I created a disconnect between the codebase and DevC++. This is kind of defeating the idea that I wanted to have a universal cross-platfrom way of coding for everyone.

-----------------

So now I have a delmma, I really only have time on the weekends to poke with what's going on. But I guss I need to put my "leader" hat on again and fix a few issues I see that are broken. I'm going to make a new thread on this so we can round-table what's going on. 

alkis

« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-29 14:09:46 »
If you agree with me, I think it needs a proper cross-compiler/platform support. I think I can setup a header file just for that, compiler and platform support.. It's your call of course.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-29 14:30:16 »
Agreed, I started another thread on some issues we have been having with the code as of late. Feel free to offer some input there. I'm a little new on this whole cross-platfrom thing as I pretty much only use linux and only been a manager for this thing for a few months. It isn't below me to ask for a little help ^_^
« Last Edit: 2006-07-29 14:32:03 by halkun »

gigaherz

• View Profile
    • gigaherz's shitty stuff
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-29 14:40:42 »
I don't know if that will help you, but I made a .diff patch with the changes I needed to compile it in vs2003, I'm not sure but the project files, converted to vs2005 format, should work fine without code changes (I hope).

If you want, take a look at it here

alkis

« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-29 23:24:05 »
What is a diff file? I will work tomorrow on some platform things, however some of the engine architecture must be changed.. we need files including a main engine header. I will write a more detailed approach tomorrow, as now it is late, gotta sleep.

Greetings

gigaherz

• View Profile
    • gigaherz's shitty stuff
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-30 18:39:34 »
a dif ffile is a file with the line differences between 2 files, usually the version in the svn vs a modified version. I used tortoiseSVN to make the patch but it should be compatible with any diff patcher.

The game can be compiled (and it does in vs2003) with JUST A FEW changes in the code (few=add 3 or 4 #defines arround), other than that, if you have SDL correctly installed and configured into the ide, then it should work.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-30 19:52:20 »
looking at some cross-platfrom compiling examples, I see a lot make a seperate main() file for each platfrom to allow for the really odd wrappers and initialization stuff for each.

For example winmain() vs main()

We should keep the #IFDEF to a minimum.

here's some information of diff (and it's friend, patch)

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1237
« Last Edit: 2006-07-30 19:54:04 by halkun »