Author Topic: Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology Preview 2011  (Read 3366 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
By EuclideonOfficial

Controversy

In a blog post, Minecraft developer Markus Persson described Unlimited Detail as a "scam", as well as a "voxel renderer, probably based on sparse voxel octrees", arguing that while Euclideon portrays the software as "revolutionary", it suffers the same limitations as existing voxel renderers. Among other concerns, Persson expressed that the proposed test "island" would require an unfeasibly large amount of memory to store as unique data, and so must be built using repeated chunks. Bruce Dell later claimed that Unlimited Detail uses less memory than current polygon systems. Persson also said the term "search algorithm" was a semantic obfuscation, as traversing a sparse voxel octree essentially is a search algorithm.[14][15]

Euclideon has since released several interviews with CEO Bruce Dell in which he refuted several of Persson's claims stating Unlimited Detail is only a rehash of current technologies. Dell replied with an emphasis on the technology's ability to display unlimited quantities of data by processing only the pixels, and demonstrated its uniqueness against other similar but distinct engines such as the Atomontage Engine. He also ran a real time and interactive demo of the engine on a laptop, utilising only the CPU under a software renderer.[16][17]

On 3 August 2011, the technology blog Kotaku posted an interview with CEO Bruce Dell of Euclideon in response to Persson's post. Dell started off by saying that "I think what I would like to make clear is that this is not the finished product,” and went on to discuss the points that Persson made about his technology.[18]

According to John Carmack, founder of id Software and a 3D graphics innovator, the technology is potentially feasible in the near future:

Re Euclideon, no chance of a game on current gen systems, but maybe several years from now. Production issues will be challenging.[19]
« Last Edit: 2012-06-23 09:54:48 by Leonhart7413 »

Livesey

• View Profile
I have to say I find it quite ironic that Notch has been the most mentioned attacker of Euclideon, and not only because minecraft looks like crap but also because it runs like crap for such a simple crappy looking game. My PC plays League of Legends better than it can Minecraft.

I say best of luck to Euclideon. Their technology seems amazing and I for one hope that this can become a reality.

BloodShot

• View Profile
Until I actually see a person playing in a game worldspace in real time with the computer that's running it right next to me, I'll continue to believe this is a crock of shit. Maybe I wouldn't be so critical if they didn't constantly refuse to show the public anything useful more then flythroughs which don't show applicable mechanics in a gaming medium.

They say that converting polygons to point-cloud data and atoms lets them run things in unlimited quantities, yet there's no evidence that they can't do the same with a high amount of polygons.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-25 08:12:32 by BloodShot »

luksy

• View Profile
This springs up every few months, there's been no activity at all in what, a year now? Even the company site is MIA

http://www.euclideon.com/

I suppose the "CEO" Bruce Dell doesn't have any time to actually develop and market his invention, what with the free $2m AU government grant to spend on hookers and blow.

It's either a scam, or the requirements are not as low as he's making out and no one's buying. Either way it's vaporware until proven otherwise.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
For what they're showing, you do need a powerhouse PC, many are saying they're actually showing pre-rendered stuff due to the camera movement.

I really don't see this stuff being used at all for years to come, sure games like Minecraft and Voxelstein 3D have a very basic voxel style setup going for them, but the kind of detail Euclideon are harping on about is so much more advanced that you'd be lucky to see it used in AAA titles in 10+ years time.