Author Topic: MRAWR  (Read 13654 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: MRAWR
« Reply #25 on: 2009-10-23 11:42:15 »
Thinkpad, eh?

I've heard that you can beat the owners of inferior computers to death with those things and they'll still work, but I've never had the pleasure of owning one. :-D

And I'm surprised that you're surprised by the amount of anti-Windows advertising campaigns by Apple; isn't bashing Windows basically all they do? (besides using the word virus in a context that will make the people they're marketing to think that Macs are impenetrable fortresses immune to all nasties). Have they kept to their standard philosophy of not quite being dishonest enough to get themselves sued? :-P

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #26 on: 2009-10-23 19:17:39 »
wow really? 800 bucks for 4 gigs of ram??

It's not about the actual RAM so much as it is keeping your warantee (sp?). They don't like third-party RAM in their systems, even if they are identical sans the label.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-10-24 15:22:27 »
warranty*

For that much, you can get a better, third party warranty AND the extra RAM.

Jari

« Reply #28 on: 2009-10-24 19:25:28 »
this is an ibm thinkpad x300 running OS X 1/2 Tiger next to my jailbroken iPod

Oooh, Pinkthad! :-D

Thinkpad, eh?

I've heard that you can beat the owners of inferior computers to death with those things and they'll still work, but I've never had the pleasure of owning one. :-D

Pretty much. I accidentally shat sat on my T40, and it's none the worse for wear. That's the nice titanium composite shell - it can take a pretty severe beating and still work. Not only that (the 'unibody' made out of aluminum that Macbook Pro uses is pretty durable as well), but the Big Blue akshually has service manuals on their website for you to download, and even the Pinkthads themselves have stickers on the bottom, indicating which size the screws are, and which size screw goes where. And they offer replacement parts for pretty human prices, should you want to repair a Pinkthad.

So, unlike fApples, you can fix it yourself, if you want.

Funny anecdote; about a month ago my 5 year old Pinkthad became an emergency replacement for Macbook Pro, because owner of the latter failed to carry a DVI-to-VGA adapter with him, and the projector's remote control and signal unit surprisingly enough didn't have any DVI-inputs on it. Apple fail. :-P

It's not about the actual RAM so much as it is keeping your warantee (sp?). They don't like third-party RAM in their systems, even if they are identical sans the label.

It's not about the actual RAM so much as it is keeping your profits. They don't like third-party RAM in their systems, even if they identical sans the label, because that would take a serious bite out of their profits. There, fixed it for you. :-D

In other news; it seems that Nokia sued Apple for all of their patents Apple used in iPhone when Apple refused to pay up. There has been a long history of cross-licensing in cell phone industry (you use ours, and we use yours), and the rest of companies have paid a pretty nominal fee for the patent holders. This, of course, wouldn't suit Apple. Since they, you know, steal innovate. :-D

Some people have questioned the timing, but there are rumors - which would be consistent with prior similar events - that Nokia and Apple have in fact been in negotiations since the launch of iPhone, and Nokia is seeking the legal route only after finding out fApple to be a total asshat.

I've seen MacFags pull a pretty astounding defenses, like the one stating that the network parts of iPhone are subcontracted, thus the subcontractors should pay the licensing fees. Apparently this also excludes the manufacturer from responsibility, should the subcontractor fail to do so - or so sayeth the MacFags. Should that stand in court, it would be largest and most obvious loophole in patent law, ever.

Other claims include the possibility for Apple's countersuit on GUI and touch screens. Let them try. MacFags might be surprised when Nokia claims prior art (meaning that they did it before Apple patented it, thus making Apple's claims invalid) on touchscreen.  :-P For that matter, Nokia wasn't even the first one.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see the big boys battle it out.