Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079058 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #575 on: 2010-01-15 19:47:47 »
gjoerulv, are you going to do another release in the future or this is the final version of hardcore mode? I ask you this to know If I should install this version or to wait to another release  :-D

There won't be much changes if that's the issue. I plan to at least make one more release with minor changes. I'll only slightly change the bosses in the materia caves and the boss in the final cave (see OP post to see where it is). And if there are any bugs I'll update as well.

There are enough tools to make your own mod; I don't feel I need to go much further with this one.  :-D 8-)

AlbusJC

• If you really love something let it go
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 2010-01-15 20:19:11 »
Ok, thanks! You have done a incredible work with this mod  :-)

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 2010-01-16 08:02:39 »
a makonoid would be very fitting for a boss battle there, especially since the one that pops out of the container never seems to be killed... and for a music choice for the battle... J-E-N-O-V-A (chu2) or Those Chosen By the Planet (cephiros) would be good candidates over a normal boss theme, at least in my opinion (not sure what you did there... as i have not had time to play the mod yet :P).

I'm pretty sure it was Those Chosen By the Planet, the music carried on from the video, was really cool :D

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 2010-01-19 13:11:22 »
Haha, got past the guard scorp, and got outta the reactor ok, but then it crashed the whole PC (CAPS LOCK wouldn't light up, you know you're in trouble when that happens), upon entering an FMV.

Nyoh well.

Bitto_86

« Reply #579 on: 2010-01-22 12:40:48 »
Haha !! I love this mod !! :) 

Actually I am not far (in Mount Nibel) but I already had a lot of fun. Here is basically the levels I was during some parts of the game :
out of midgard == lvl 13
jenova birth (first try) == lvl 16 --> total wreck
jenova birth down == lvl 20.
Turks in Gongagua == lvl 26
Gi-Nattack == lvl 30
Lost Number == lvl 31

Actually in the Nibel mountains ... i just faced the dragon ... hum lol, totally insane  XD

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: 2010-01-24 19:23:32 »
OK, time to try this mod! Only one question, since I have the psx version, is this mod compatible with it or I must play it on PC? If the answer is yes, is it difficult to apply the patch to the psx version?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: 2010-01-24 22:31:30 »
OK, time to try this mod! Only one question, since I have the psx version, is this mod compatible with it or I must play it on PC? If the answer is yes, is it difficult to apply the patch to the psx version?

It won't work on the PSX version, although I can't really see any reason why you couldn't "port" the mod (in theory; in practice it would be very time-consuming)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #582 on: 2010-01-24 23:11:31 »
IIRC, the Scene.bin files should be the very same in both versions, which is where the meat and bones of the changes should be. Of course, it's possible that the modified Scene is larger than the original, but we should be able to get around that by deleting redundant data from each disc's SCENE.

Extra bosses and field changes won't be implemented, but that shouldn't be *too* important, unless gjoerulv has done something radical.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: 2010-01-24 23:15:04 »
The extra bosses and field changes are some of the best things about the mod :cry:

Also, the scene.bin file is definitely bigger than the original, and the game will crash during some random battles because there are new enemies. I believe that armorvil had this problem a while ago...

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #584 on: 2010-01-25 10:36:31 »

Short answer: Yes, and yes.

Long answer: Because of changes in field files and added enemies it will be tedious work. And KM is right. Considering all the tools available, the added enemies and bosses may be the only reason you'd want this mod. There are tools available to mod scene and kernel. You could patch the scene only, change the enemy models and finally reduce the file size (remove the new bosses and simplify some AIs) to make it compatible with psx. But it would be easier to just make your own mod lol.

I may make a version that works on psx. Only time will tell.  :-D

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: 2010-01-25 13:31:08 »
Hrm, i recall that someone here was working on slimming down scene.bin by rewriting every single AI to be as efficient as possible filesize wise. I'll see if I can find the thread...

EDIT: Aha! I found it! It was secondadvent, and looks like he got as far as v0.1 with a filesize of 256kb. Here's the link:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8513.0
« Last Edit: 2010-01-25 13:40:44 by titeguy3 »

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: 2010-01-25 18:58:36 »
Thanks for the answers! I've forgotten to include "also" in the phrase "since I have the psx version"  :-D If the situation is this, then it's better to play it on PC, although I'd have preferred to play it on playstation! And thank you very much for this work gjoerulv!!!

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: 2010-01-25 19:12:45 »
yeah, i was working on that, and will be again in the future (it also fixes any bugs/flaws i see as i go on with the original enemy AI/abilities, while sticking to the original as much as possible)... but i am currently in the middle of two other psx games at the moment :-P.

i'd like to work on it again here soon, but it depends on what else i am doing... i will eventually get back to it though (i will only post as i make large updates to it, to save people from mah walls of text  :-P)... i only really left because eligor's script was coming up, and PrC at the time took about five minutes to show/disassemble it's script at fastest, which i did not feel like repeatedly having to sit through for ONE enemy. but, now that it is done in seconds, i have more motivation to continue it's massive redundant AI :-D.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: 2010-01-25 23:58:21 »
Haha !! I love this mod !! :) 

Actually I am not far (in Mount Nibel) but I already had a lot of fun. Here is basically the levels I was during some parts of the game :
out of midgard == lvl 13
jenova birth (first try) == lvl 16 --> total wreck
jenova birth down == lvl 20.
Turks in Gongagua == lvl 26
Gi-Nattack == lvl 30
Lost Number == lvl 31

Actually in the Nibel mountains ... i just faced the dragon ... hum lol, totally insane  XD

How the hell did you beat the air buster ??? And the trio ????

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: 2010-01-27 12:29:48 »
ya know, it's interesting...for me, air buster was easier to beat if I intentionally killed off one of my characters...I can't explain why, I guess it was just easier to keep track of healing with one, attacking with the other rather than trying to juggle all three.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: 2010-01-27 19:13:56 »
Lol, just let it go, I found a way to beat him easily 5 minutes after posting :-P

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: 2010-02-10 19:10:26 »
Hi gjoerulv, I just tested and found that your mod makes the boss battle Rapps lock up when it starts (This is the boss that Don Corneo calls in Wutai)
Tried without aali driver but it still crashed.
I had to uninstall your mod to get my materia back :(

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #592 on: 2010-02-11 09:32:19 »
Hi gjoerulv, I just tested and found that your mod makes the boss battle Rapps lock up when it starts (This is the boss that Don Corneo calls in Wutai)

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: 2010-02-11 16:33:36 »

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

You are welcome, having a great time playing on this mod. Having to use strategy instead of just pressing Enter to attack, it is great.

Is there any news on a 'Hard' mode? I have a friend who wants to play FF7, but being an experienced gamer I know he will find it way too easy.
On the other hand, this 'Hardcore' mode is clearly for people who want a crazy challenge :P
FF7 is already an amazing game, and making it slightly harder shows just how great the battle / materia system can be, together with all these extra bosses, it is godly!

Also just some other bugs / inconsistencies from memory:

- Some items that cast spells do not have renamed spells (I think I saw Demi2 on an item)
- When using morph to get Mighty Guard, it shows up as Big Guard on the morph menu, and I could not select who I wanted to cast it on to learn it, was just random.
- The Enemy Skill 'Laser' says it does 1/2 damage, but it appears to only do 1/4.
- When I used the Sense ability in the battle when you get the Kujata materia some dialog comes up saying 'Weak against .' or something like that.

Hope those make sense.

Also now that I'm getting further in the game I wanted to ask, am I supposed to have the 9999 limit breaker patch?
Did the installer install it?
Or am I OK without it?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #594 on: 2010-02-11 18:29:40 »
- Some items that cast spells do not have renamed spells (I think I saw Demi2 on an item)

lol and I thought I had tracked 'em down. Not that important but annoying nonetheless.

- When using morph to get Mighty Guard, it shows up as Big Guard on the morph menu, and I could not select who I wanted to cast it on to learn it, was just random.

You mean manipulate? I'll check it out.

- The Enemy Skill 'Laser' says it does 1/2 damage, but it appears to only do 1/4.

Probably because some enemies resists gravity.  ;)

- When I used the Sense ability in the battle when you get the Kujata materia some dialog comes up saying 'Weak against .' or something like that.

Not important lol. Nah, I'll remove it.

Also now that I'm getting further in the game I wanted to ask, am I supposed to have the 9999 limit breaker patch?
Did the installer install it?
Or am I OK without it?

That patch is not included. Install it if you wish, but it will become easier. I like it though. I believe it's still available. Try searching for it.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: 2010-02-12 05:43:36 »
Sorry yeah I meant manipulate.

Haha yeah I know the other bugs aren't very important, just thought youd like to know.

Here is an important one though:

- The 'Dragon Armlet' says it 'Drains 1/2 [Fire/Cold/Lightning] attack', however it doesn't drain, it just blocks half damage. This was a nasty surprise when Midgar Zolom wiped me out with Beta :P

Also if you are interested you could also change the description of Enemy Skill 'Magic Hammer', as the PC version of the game does not drain MP, just damages. Apparently this is the only difference between the Playstation and PC version.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #596 on: 2010-02-12 10:02:43 »
Here is an important one though:

- The 'Dragon Armlet' says it 'Drains 1/2 [Fire/Cold/Lightning] attack', however it doesn't drain, it just blocks half damage. This was a nasty surprise when Midgar Zolom wiped me out with Beta :P

That's actually the default description.  :P I didn't change it. There are no such thing as absorb 50%. Only 100%. I could change it to 'Resists [Fire/Cold/Lightning] attack'?

Also if you are interested you could also change the description of Enemy Skill 'Magic Hammer', as the PC version of the game does not drain MP, just damages. Apparently this is the only difference between the Playstation and PC version.

No it drains. It can only drain the amount of mp the enemy has left. If the enemy has no MP the damage will be 100mp, but you will not drain anything.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: 2010-02-12 12:29:25 »
Oh you are right, I guess I used it on an enemy that had no MP.

And yeah changing that description is probably a good idea, it's a bit misleading lol.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: 2010-02-15 11:26:46 »
I have a quick question for you, when I use Sense on the Trio on the train, it says weak against restorative magic, so I cast Curaga on them and it just heals them? I don't understand :(
Also the Eagle Gun enemy on the train has a Warrior Bangle, in normal FF7 this is the only one in the game, is this also the case with your mod? Or is it somewhere else too?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: 2010-02-15 12:30:34 »
I have a quick question for you, when I use Sense on the Trio on the train, it says weak against restorative magic, so I cast Curaga on them and it just heals them? I don't understand :(
Also the Eagle Gun enemy on the train has a Warrior Bangle, in normal FF7 this is the only one in the game, is this also the case with your mod? Or is it somewhere else too?

lol! I never thought of that...weak against restorative magic...that's awesome. That means restorative spells do double damage...or double *healing*.