Author Topic: Stormmedia Fluid Fantasy Sound (SFFS)  (Read 54791 times)

stormmedia

• View Profile
Stormmedia Fluid Fantasy Sound (SFFS)
« on: 2006-05-11 19:38:19 »
Stormmedia Fluid Fantasy Sound(SFFS) Closed Beta V0.1
-----------------------------------------------------

What is it
-------------
It's a project that I started because I found the midi quite anoying and creepy in a game... so I started a project that will improve a lot the midi instruments and I modified the midi files so it fits the best possible to my instruments.  This project is optimized for FF7/8 but can also be used with any programs.

Note that Since this is a Closed version I will only give the Link to some people so if you are interested in testing it Post here or P.M. me and I will P.M. you the link.

How to install it
-----------------

1-Install the MidiYokeSetup.msi (it's a kind of bridge between the game and the synth).

2-Copy the Synth folder wherever you want it doesn't matter where.

3- For Final Fantasy VII
    -You have to make an LGP with the "FF7 mid" folder.
    -You have to replace the "...\Final Fantasy VII\data\midi\midi.lgp" by the LGP you just made.
    -Open the ff7config and in the midi tab select "MIDI Yoke NT: 1" for the MIDI Driver and "General MIDI" as the MIDI Data.

For Final Fantasy VIII
    -Copy all the files in the "FF8 SGT" to the "...\FINAL FANTASY VIII\Data\Music\dmusic" folder and overwrite the existing files
        -You have to use the Ficedula's FF8 configurator Version 2.2 if you don't already have it you can download it right here:
          http://aaronserv.dyndns.org/hosting/ffsf/download_8.html
        -Start the Ficedula's FF8 configurator Version 2.2 and select "MIDI YokeNT: 1" as the music device.

5-start the "SFFS.bat" in the "Synth" folder and start the game.

Note that Fluidsynth have many bugs that I fixed ... but there is some that I'm still have to fix... mostly the fact that it have some
compatibility issues with some newer drivers of some sound card... so if you have problem try to use an older driver of you sound card.
Exept the fact that if you have a newer driver most of the bugs you will experience will be CPU related ... I have still many instruments
that eat a lot of CPU usage though I already fixed some of them it still takes a good CPU to run it.

Here some samples:
---------------------------
Final Fantasy VII:
Hurry2
Battle Theme
Aeris Theme
One Winged Angel
Bombing Mission

Final Fantasy VIII:
The Man with a Machine gun
Don't be Afraid
Legendary Beast
Landing
Waltz for the Moon
« Last Edit: 2007-01-12 21:01:15 by stormmedia »

stormmedia

• View Profile
Re: Stormmedia Final Fantasy Sound (SFFS)
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-11 22:54:35 »
Sorry I seem to have server problem again ... but I've upload the file on mega upload so you will be able to download the SoundFont.  But until I get a good host for the site the simples won't work so... I'll give you news as soon as I have a new server.

I hope I will be able to find a good host faster than Mega Upload to host the SoundFont because this one is not realy fast.

See you!!
« Last Edit: 2006-05-11 23:06:52 by stormmedia »

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-12 02:21:21 »
What the hell did you use to compress this?

I've tried three different unzipping programs and none of them recognize how you compressed this.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-12 02:33:55 »
Well... try with Winzip 10 .. that's with this program I've compressed it so I suppose it will be able to unzip it.  Well sorry I compressed it at the maximum but I didn't think it wouldn't be compatible.  I'll do another zip later but for now use winzip 10.

http://www.download.com/3405-2250-5155091.html?part=dl-WinZip

[Edit]

This is a rar file now so no use to downlaod winzip 10.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-13 02:52:11 by stormmedia »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-12 04:25:58 »
Use 7-zip. It has an extremely high compression ration, and doesn't run into version compatibility issues. It's not as widespread as zip, but as long as you link to their site, it works well.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-12 05:24:30 »
Well for now I won't upload it with a different compression.  Once I'll get a faster host I'll change the compression and upload it to hte new host, but for now just use winzip10 to unzip it...

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-12 10:45:36 »
Use 7-zip. It has an extremely high compression ration, and doesn't run into version compatibility issues. It's not as widespread as zip, but as long as you link to their site, it works well.[\i]

7-Zip does normally, indeed, rock, but this time, it failed me...as did WinRAR, and, at the time, WinZIP.

However, I tried WinZIP again, and it worked. Before, it would lock up and stuff.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-12 13:49:38 »
Good to hear that it work now.  I was begening to worrie about the file being damaged in the upload...

Well see you...

Thrashamatrix

• There is no spoon, kid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-12 17:05:26 »
Here the link to download the soundfont.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MC87C5ZM (204 Mo)
So megaupload was a good suggestion, hey Storm? :roll:

I can't believe he had never heard of megaupload! :?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-12 17:35:52 »
Well ... I'm not a mega uploader so ... I didn't heard about it.  Anyways I've uploaded it there just for now.  As soon as I find something else I'll change because it's too slow... But still thanks for the suggestion it allows you to download it even if my host is down again...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-05-12 19:29:03 »
I was actually talking to stormmedia. He said "I'll do another zip later but for now use winzip 10." and I was suggesting he use 7zip when he does.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-05-12 19:32:14 »
Yeah I understood.  But I'll just do a normal compression zip it'll be more compatible.  Thanks for the suggestion though  :-)

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #12 on: 2006-05-12 19:38:07 »
Didnt work very well for me...
I played the midi either way too fast or just in a very bad way... :oops:

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-05-12 20:08:21 »
Well ... did u use the setting I've said in the readme because there is a specific way to setup synthfont so it work properly in realtime.  For exemple the too fast problem may be that you have to set the playback buffer to One large circular buffer.  You have to set it to Several small buffer of 1024 that's the better way if you have a good machine.  You can raise the samples/buffer if you have some problem but keep in mind that more you rise it more you will have some slowdown in the music.

Hpe this will help!

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-12 23:23:24 »
Hm...I got it set up and everything, but when I go to listen to the sound, it's pretty choppy. I used the default settings and everything...to increase speed, what would I go about changing?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-05-12 23:29:53 »
Listen to the sound .... do you mean to play a midi in synthfont instead of with the input ??  Because if you want to play in sythfont you have to set the Playback buffer to One large circular buffer.  But when you want to start the realtime(input) you got to change it to Several small buffer.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-05-12 23:41:03 »
Well, when I listen to the sound, it's extremely choppy. I can barely distinguish the song that's playing.

I want to be able to use this soundfont without the choppiness. I'm not too certain on how I'd go about getting it to do that, and that's what I'd like to know...sorry if I'm being vague here...

EDIT: This all happens while I'm trying to listen to it in the Configuration menu, meaning I already have Input going and everything...
« Last Edit: 2006-05-12 23:45:18 by zero88 »

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-05-12 23:47:28 »
First, do you use sythfont ?? If yes what is the setting that you use ??

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-05-12 23:49:26 »
SynthFont? Yes. Er...setting? I followed your readme, word-by-word, and I did not play with it at all. So whatever setting the one is that you recommended.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-05-12 23:52:37 »
Okey so now you try to read the midi I gave in the pack with sythfont right ?? And it doesn't sound correct.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-12 23:59:34 by stormmedia »

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-05-13 00:21:27 »
Yeah. Choppy as hell, but I suppose it could be a problem with my computer's specs (although I allotted a couple hundred megabytes of RAM for this program alone...).

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-05-13 00:32:59 »
No this is not your problem.  In playback this program doesn't need a realy powerful machine. If you want to playback in sythfont you must set the Playback buffer to One large circular buffer (in the Synth Engine tab of the setup).  But when you want to start the realtime(input) you got to change it to Several small buffer.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-05-13 00:47:25 »
This is so weird.

I can get the midi that you packed this archive with (the ff6 theme) to play pretty good...at first. After a while, it begins to get crackly and choppy, but it comes and goes. This is in SynthFont playback. When I go to do input with my FF7, it doesn't even start off good. It's crackly and terrible all throughout.

EDIT: Wait. I can get it to play PERFECTLY in the SynthFont. Now, how do I get it to play perfectly in input mode?
« Last Edit: 2006-05-13 00:49:52 by zero88 »

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-05-13 01:05:42 »
If you read my lastest post you have the answers.  Also set the total length to the max. set the main output to the lower that you can(I mean the lower that you can hear).  The rest of the setup doesn't realy matter.  But synthfont is still in developpement and the input mode is note fully developed, I mean it works fine but more option will be eventualy added and I think it'll be faster because for now you got to have a good computer to run it in realtime.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-05-13 02:18:42 »
Hey ppl,  I found a new host so the page with the simples is now online and the Soundfont pack will download faster !!!

I dicided to compress it in Rar instead of Zip ... so it's smaller.

Well see you all!