Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 713837 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [Release v1.4.5] WallMarket KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #900 on: 2011-07-26 00:51:09 »
No it is just that a program should not need external programs to be added.  It can be done so that no external things are needed and that's definitely preferable.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #901 on: 2011-07-26 01:08:58 »
Did you work out a way to integrate them?  I cannot remember, but seriously its def something to be looked at.

I thought about doing this. I can't figure out exactly HOW to do this. Even if I were able to compile the needed libraries directly into the exe I'm not sure it would work. I have two justifications:

1) The .NET libraries likely have dependencies of their dependencies. I don't know that compiling EVERY needed part into the core exe would be practical.
2) Lots of Win programs require the .NET framework anyway. The VB Powerpacks? Yeah, I'd like to get rid of them or integrate them. They're not that essential for the program to work correctly. Again, I don't know how to do this.

I'd distribute the source (or make it available via sourceforge or SVN), but it does require .NET compiler to pull it all together. Not many people have access to that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: 2011-07-26 01:31:24 »
maybe someone here can help with that...  I would if I could :(

Kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: 2011-07-27 08:42:13 »
What, so people who can't read dependency lists can just spam him with modding questions?

Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't distribute binaries at all. Force users to compile instead. It'd save time, that's for sure.

That would be a complete usability disaster, and limit the number of people using the various programs to a small handful. Sure, if you don't care about the majority of those who use them, then it's a fairly logical solution to the problem...

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #904 on: 2011-07-27 20:30:42 »
It wasn't a serious post.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-27 20:34:46 by Bosola »

Kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: 2011-07-27 20:33:48 »
<_<

Oh.

Well, internet's lack of tone and such. Sorry.

poofacetherisen

• My coffin smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: 2011-08-02 16:51:41 »
I don't know if anyone has asked for this feature (I searched a few pages and did not find anything) in WallMarket.
Is it possible that you could allow pasting certain (or all) entries of pages like the Hojo editor could for certain things? Like when editing a weapon you can press a copy button that adds all of that page's or tab's data (Text and Values) to the clipboard and a paste button so that you can go to a different weapon and press it to fill it with all the values from the copied page. It would be great if this was done for most of the tabs, Weapon, Attack, Initial Data, Materia, Armor, Acessory, Items.

Are you able to do that? That would make modifying the Kernel en-mass much easier.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #907 on: 2011-08-03 12:25:48 »
Is it possible that you could allow pasting certain (or all) entries of pages like the Hojo editor could for certain things?...

First of all, why did you quote an ellipsis? That doesn't even make sense.

As for your question, I don't see the need really. I've thought about it, but don't really think enough people would want that particular feature. It'd have to be a selective copy too. Let me break it down:

Command copy - not a good idea. The menu copying would really screw some of them up since effects are mostly keyed on command index rather than the menu itself. There is very little to edit anyway.
Attack copy - Not a great idea in some cases. You can't copy an E.Skill into a magic because the animation would screw itself up.
Initial Data copy - The only thing worth copying between characters is initial stats. There's only 10 stats and 8 characters. Not worth a copy/paste feature.
Weapon copy - Sounds and model id are unique to each characters' class of weapon. Equip mask would need to be managed properly after each copy too. This is just providing more work for the paster
Armor copy - There are so few of these you don't really want them to be too similar.
Accessory copy - Same for Armor.
Materia copy - This is not a good idea. A lot of materia effects (at least for independent and support) are keyed based on their index. If you try to copy one of them then it might wouldn't work in the new slot. I'm pretty sure Master X materia wouldn't work in other slots, but I could be wrong.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: 2011-08-03 17:32:10 »
So, I'm having a bit of an issue....

Nothing I've done in wall market is currently working.  I've reloaded WallMarket and used the kernel I edited, and the things have changed in WallMarket still, I clicked the "Create KERNEL.BIN and KERNEL2.BIN" and in game, nothing changes...  I don't know if there's a different method, but when I was editing this all on my old laptop, but now I can't even steal the kernel patch off there cause the battery died and I lost the power cord to that xD.  I've tried this before, after I got the gldriver and ff7music and whatnot running.  It messed up so that every letter tried to be in the first character (letter) spot for each line of text.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and I'm doing this on a vanilla install of FF7 at this point, the only thing I've touched is the KERNEL.BIN, and everything I've done is only changed in WallMarket, nothing's changed in game.  I've even checked the "VirtualStore" folder kernel, it's the same as the kernel in the program files folder.  It's changed in the kernel, but not in game.... I don't know what to do anymore :\

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #909 on: 2011-08-03 20:25:52 »

Nothing I've done in wall market is currently working.  I've reloaded WallMarket and used the kernel I edited, and the things have changed in WallMarket still, I clicked the "Create KERNEL.BIN and KERNEL2.BIN" and in game, nothing changes...  I don't know if there's a different method, but when I was editing this all on my old laptop, but now I can't even steal the kernel patch off there cause the battery died and I lost the power cord to that xD.  I've tried this before, after I got the gldriver and ff7music and whatnot running.  It messed up so that every letter tried to be in the first character (letter) spot for each line of text.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and I'm doing this on a vanilla install of FF7 at this point, the only thing I've touched is the KERNEL.BIN, and everything I've done is only changed in WallMarket, nothing's changed in game.  I've even checked the "VirtualStore" folder kernel, it's the same as the kernel in the program files folder.  It's changed in the kernel, but not in game.... I don't know what to do anymore :\

You using Vista or Win7? Have you tried running as Admin? I honestly don't have this problem.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: 2011-08-03 20:39:46 »
What happens if you delete the kernel.bin (back it up first) completely and try to launch ff7.exe?
If FF7 still starts, the game is using a copy of kernel.bin stored somewhere else.
In that case, you can do a search in C:\ for 'kernel.bin' and include all hidden and system folders.
Unless it's stored inside some sort of cache file, that should help locate the kernel that the game is loading.

-PitBrat

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: 2011-08-03 21:04:57 »

happened to me, what the user above said is correct, the game is somehow using another kernel which is hidden.
u need to enable the option to see hidden system folders/files and then do a search for it, find it and delete it.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: 2011-08-03 21:48:13 »
Alright, so I searched all directories for KERNEL.BIN, it gave me both Kernels in the two places I've already found them.  I changed the name of the kernels in the Program Files folder, leaving the ones in the VirtualStore folder alone.  FF7 now refuses to run, so I'm just going to guess that it's using the kernel in the Program Files folder for now.  I'm going to attempt to run WallMarket in admin mode and see if that does anything, and look into the settings for KERNEL.BIN, see if its got something stupid like "Read- only" ticked or something.

EDIT: So, its definitely NOT using the VirtualStore Kernels but I did notice something odd when in the search window. The "date modified" for both the kernels in the hasn't changed....

mid edit brainstorm: So I looked into this a little farther and directly routed Wallmarket to go find the kernel from the Program files folder, guess what happened when I did.  I found the UNedited kernel that my game has been using.  The weird thing is, when I opened WM and clicked on the Path line, it told me I was in the Program Files' Kernel, not the VirtualStore, but when I forced it to route to the Program Files folder, it was the right kernel. (By forced I mean manually going through my C:\ drive with the explore window).  It would seem that my WM likes to path to the VirtualStore kernel, AND lie to me about it.

Edit2: So all things sorted thus far, I just backed up my kernel in the program folder, and moved the one in the virtualstore to the program folder, that worked so now I have the edited kernel in the right folder.  Everything I've done so far with WM has finally been applied to game, and HOPEFULLY I can get the damn thing to realize I want it to open that kernel now.  Thanks for the help guys :).  Strangely, I can't seem to get it to STOP attempting to edit the VirtualStore kernel though :\. Guess I'll just have to manually path it for now.

Edit3 (this is getting out of hand): Ok now I'm confused..... WM is Creating the kernel in the VirtualStore folder....? Even stranger, I now can't even manually path to the Kernel in the program folder.....
« Last Edit: 2011-08-03 22:39:15 by Immortal Damyn »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: 2011-08-03 23:09:08 »
You're going to have to move kernel.bin and kernel2.bin to another location for editing.
Windows 7 UAC does not like to allow that kind of direct access to files in Program Files and other system folders.
Just copy kernel.bin and kernel2.bin to a temporary folder for editing.
When you finish, copy them back to the FF7 folder.
I doubt that running Wallmarket as admin would help.

It's always good to check the file attributes.
Some mods will set the read only attribute for files such as kernel.bin and kernel2.bin.

-PitBrat

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: 2011-08-04 01:42:27 »
Yea, so it would seem (because the "Create KERNEL.BIN and KERNEL2.BIN" button makes the kernels in the VirtualStore folder) all I'll have to do is remember to copy the kernels over from there anytime I do edits.  That kinda bugs me, but I guess it can't be helped.... Thanks again for the help everyone.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #915 on: 2011-08-04 12:36:43 »
This is definitely a Win7 thing. WM checks your registry for an entry of the installation path where that's typically found. However, starting in Vista and Win7 (especially the 64-bit varieties) there's an extra level of regpath that all the 32x regkeys get stored in (\Wow6432Node\). If a 32x app tries to access the registry, the OS Kernel nudges the request into that path and retrieves what it finds. This may also be where the VirtualStore comes in. If it does this reg look-up redirect, the system may be flagging this as a 32-bit legacy app and not letting it edit "sensitive" folders (like Program Files).

Blinding_Solo

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: 2011-08-05 15:49:13 »
I just got Version 1.4.5 working but encountered a new error  :-\ I don't really understand it and would like help on solving it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated :D

Here is the error message:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Buffer cannot be null.
Parameter name: buffer
   at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[] buffer, Boolean writable)
   at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[] buffer)
   at WallMarket.Form1.GUnZip(Byte[]& byteCompressed)
   at WallMarket.Form1.CreateKERNELBINPiecesToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at WallMarket.Form1.CreateKERNELBINAndKernel2binPiecesToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4214 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WallMarket
    Assembly Version: 1.4.5.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jose%20Antonio%20Vega/FF7%20Mods/WallMarket145/WallMarket.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4212 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4214 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.30214.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #917 on: 2011-08-05 19:55:49 »
System.ArgumentNullException: Buffer cannot be null.
Parameter name: buffer
   at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[] buffer, Boolean writable)
   at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[] buffer)
   at WallMarket.Form1.GUnZip(Byte[]& byteCompressed)
   at WallMarket.Form1.CreateKERNELBINPiecesToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at WallMarket.Form1.CreateKERNELBINAndKernel2binPiecesToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

That's peculiar. I don't see how it could have happened.... What had you modified?

Blinding_Solo

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: 2011-08-06 23:19:01 »
I had the older version and modified the weapons, armor and magic. I think thats what you wanted to know.  ???

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: 2011-08-07 01:35:03 »
What have you done *exactly*?

Blinding_Solo

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: 2011-08-07 01:52:56 »
I edited the weapons, armor and magic. I made some weapons, armor and magic more powerful and changed the name threw Wallmarket 1.1.0 and when I went to 1.4.5 it stop working. I try to save the new edits and get that error message. I didn't edit the coding cause I don't know how to do that.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: 2011-08-07 13:00:18 »
I mean, when did that message pop up?

Blinding_Solo

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: 2011-08-07 21:55:23 »
It pops up when I'm saving my changes.

Blinding_Solo

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: 2011-08-08 05:11:20 »
 I figured it out lol. When I was loading from the KERNAL pieces and that was making the error.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #924 on: 2011-08-08 06:16:13 »
I figured it out lol. When I was loading from the KERNAL pieces and that was making the error.

Are you missing a piece? Maybe one of your pieces is incomplete.