Author Topic: Need help with FFVII Re-translation Comparison Script  (Read 7845 times)

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
When I heard there was a fan-based re-translation made for FFVII, I wanted to play it to see what differences there were when compared to the original game.  I am working on getting my 1998 PC game installed and modded with the Reunion Package. Until I am able to do that, I have been watching two different video playthroughs of the Beacause Re-translation, while re-playing FFVII on my PS 3. Since many of the translation changes are minor, I really couldn't tell a big difference. I then decided to do a line by line comparison script for myself that I can read. Now I am appreciating the subtle and more major changes more when I can look at the original and re-translated lines side by side. I am enjoying this personal project immensely.

My problem is that the two video playthroughs with the Beacause modded script have differences. The changes are probably a result of the players using different versions of the Beacause Script. I was hoping someone could tell me which script is the latest version, based on the following differences:

In one video playthrough, sectors are now districts. Phoenix Downs are Phoenix Tails. However, the materia names haven't changed. Fire is still Fire. Ice is still Ice. In the other playthrough, sectors are still sectors. However, the Fire and Ice materias are now called Flame and Cold respectively.

Can anyone tell me which playthrough is the latest version? I felt like the change from sectors to districts came from one of the later versions. I just thought Flame and Cold were considered the better translations for the materia. So, I can't figure out why the first playthrough didn't have both changes.

I found a link for the Reunion Package patch on this site. How do I know if I am downloading the latest version?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-24 22:07:13 by PrincessMJ »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with FFVII Re-translation Comparison Script
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-24 22:11:26 »
You can't necessarily tell by item/magic/character names what version is being used, because the installer has multiple options, to allow users a choice between more accurate translations and "canon" translations as seen in later games (such as Firaga).

If the videos don't say in the descriptions what versions they're using, you might be able to estimate based on upload dates. However, keep in mind, a new version is on the horizon(-ish) that will make more changes to the script In particular, there are substantial changes to Red XIII's dialogue based on a change in his style of speech at and after Cosmo Canyon, where he stops putting on airs and takes on a more youthful way of talking. This is something both the official translation and earlier versions of the retranslation missed.

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-25 12:45:47 »
Thank you for your replies. The players didn't mention which versions they were using. The first playthrough I mentioned was uploaded more recently. That is why I thought it was the latest version that I could have at this time. However, when I saw the Fire and Ice materias, I began to doubt that assumption. I am glad to hear that there is another version coming out. I will certainly be looking out for its release. Red Lion's new dialogue sounds fantastic.

What is the latest version? Is it R05c?

I just want to thank everyone involved in this re-translation project. It is wonderful to understand certain sections of the game that previously didn't make sense.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-25 23:28:07 by PrincessMJ »

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-25 20:17:56 »
Thanks for your reply. I just have one more question. Do you have an estimation of when you will be releasing R06 and R07?
« Last Edit: 2019-03-25 20:20:04 by PrincessMJ »

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-05-27 16:32:24 »
Hello! I finally got my copy of Final Fantasy VII modded with the Reunion package. I am so happy! I have been filling in the blanks I had when I had just other people's videos to go by. I have some more questions in my attempt to get as complete a transcript as possible.

1. When Cloud is traveling to Sector 5 with Barrett and Tifa, he reaches the final train car. Biggs is disguised and standing near the exit. In an earlier playthrough on the Playstation, I thought I talked to Biggs and part of the dialogue mentions Biggs' "great disguise". But I haven't been able to talk to Biggs on this playthrough. How can you talk to Biggs?  What is his dialogue in the original version and re-translated version?
2. After Cloud dresses as a girl, you can return to the Honeybee Manor and talk to everyone there. The Shinra grunt is hiding in the far right corner of the screen. Is there any way to reach him? Does he have any unique dialogue?
3. Is Mayor Domino's password/passphrase ever HOJO/BOOM or ORBS/TOPS? I have replayed this section several times and haven't got these as the correct choices. Most walkthroughs say HOJO and ORBS are never possible answers. Is this true?
4. In the Scientific Research Archives at Shin-Ra Headquarters, one book title on my Playstation is "Biological Characteristics of the Ancients". In Absolute Steve's walkthrough and other youtube videos I have seen, the title is "Mako energy and the rise in life forms.” The latter is closer to the re-translation. Was this modified for the PC version?

If anyone knows the answers to my questions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 2019-05-27 18:09:09 by PrincessMJ »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-05-27 19:52:38 »
3. Is Mayor Domino's password/passphrase ever HOJO/BOOM or ORBS/TOPS? I have replayed this section several times and haven't got these as the correct choices. Most walkthroughs say HOJO and ORBS are never possible answers. Is this true?
I vaguely recall having HOJO once or twice, and Domino calling him something unpleasant (something along the lines of being a creep, I think).

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-05-27 20:04:00 »
Thank you, LordUrQuan! I will keep trying then. I just didn't want to keep re-starting the game for that dialogue if there wasn't any, like some people were saying.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-05-28 01:37:59 »
No prob.  I would suggest, however, that you abuse the save point at the front of the Shin-Ra building (you are just storming in, right?).  That way, you can restore just prior to being given the puzzle, when the password hasn't actually been set yet ;)

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-05-28 02:31:16 »
Have you actually re-set the password by using the Save Point in front of the building?

I have tried to abuse the Save Point, but the password doesn't seem to re-set for me. I have been sneaking in the side door though to avoid combat. Could that be my problem?
« Last Edit: 2019-05-28 02:36:34 by PrincessMJ »

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-05-28 13:06:20 »
DLPB:

When I started this project, I looked for ways I might get a file of just the dialogue.

I came across a thread by Green Goblin. Someone else was looking for a way to get the re-translated script. Green Goblin recommended a software tool.

What is your opinion of this software?

http://lasyan3.free.fr/progs/ff7/Hack7v2_1.zip

Would the one you recommended be better even though it seems more about editing dialogue? I don't need to do that. Which would be easier for me to use? I am not computer savvy and had to get an avid computer gamer to help me.

I am only lacking the re-translated dialogue for Domino if Cloud correctly guesses the following passwords: BOOM, TOPS, and BEST

If anyone is playing the game with the Reunion mod and gets one of the above passwords as the correct choice, let me know in this thread. Also, I lack the original Playstation dialogue if Cloud correctly guesses the HOJO and ORBS passwords. Thanks!

« Last Edit: 2019-05-28 17:20:19 by PrincessMJ »

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-05-28 14:07:26 »
I have tried to abuse the Save Point, but the password doesn't seem to re-set for me. I have been sneaking in the side door though to avoid combat. Could that be my problem?
I don't know that the password is set/changed by that save point specifically, only that when I'd load my game from a save made at that point, that I wouldn't necessarily get the same PW that I had on a previous trip (small children tend to be distracting, and that spot made for a nice "I don't remember where I was, but this is an easy-to-remember story point").  I also doubt that sneaking in the side has anything to do with it, I just barge in the front because
1.  Barret's whining is really annoying
2.  There's a Turtle's Paradise flyer in the front lobby

Maybe DLPB can shed light on this, but from how my undergrad professors taught C and assembly, the best time to come up with the PW would be right when you talk with Domino for the first time, and he sets you on your quest.

Incidentally, this mini quest is better in the Japanese version.
What's different about it?  (besides the fact that Japanese uses kanji/hiragana/katakana instead of letters)

I am only lacking the re-translated dialogue for Domino if Cloud correctly guesses the following passwords: BOOM, TOPS, and BEST
I know I've gotten both BOOM and BEST (Domino wants the whole building to go boom, and has an inflated opinion of himself).

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-05-28 19:13:58 »

LordUrQuan, that is interesting that you sometimes got a different password. Thank you for all the information you provided.

DLPB, I downloaded a software tool for extracting the dialogue from the game. But, I don't think I can use it. The user manual talks about getting the dialogue from the field directory of the game disc. The person who installed FF7 and the Reunion Mod for me could never get the game to work, using my 1998 PC game discs. We ended up deciding to install the Steam version. Is there a way to access the field directory of the Reunion mod with the software tool?

On a different note, when my friend installed the Reunion mod, it was set to using the original names like Tzeng, Elmyra and Reno. If I want to change the option to use the re-translated names, how do I do that? I've read the information files that talk about the options, but I don't see where you actually change the options. Can you only change the options during the installation process? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 2019-05-28 19:16:00 by PrincessMJ »

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-05-28 22:28:24 »
You should be able to use TouphScript (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11944.0) to suck out the dialog.  When I did an extraction on my CD version, Domino's text was in blin62_1.txt  As for names, that gets chosen during install.

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-05-29 11:09:26 »
You should be able to use TouphScript (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11944.0) to suck out the dialog.  When I did an extraction on my CD version, Domino's text was in blin62_1.txt  As for names, that gets chosen during install.

Thank you again. I will try ToughScript.

So, as for the names, I should be able to re-install it and make different options, right?

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-05-29 11:49:09 »
So, as for the names, I should be able to re-install it and make different options, right?
That's DLPB territory ;)