Author Topic: Multiple Installations Question  (Read 2720 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Multiple Installations Question
« on: 2015-07-05 17:30:28 »
Hi folks, long time no post - hows it going? :P

I apologise if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it if that's the case. As the title suggests, I've got a question about whether or not I'll run into problems with multiple installations of VII. I own a physical copy of the PC '98 version as well as a Steam copy. The Steam copy is installed and I don't want to convert it to mod (I'd rather keep the achievement and cloud saving functionality).

Will I run into problems if I install the original version aswell? This would obviously be to make use of mods. Ideally a person who's done this before will be able to answer. I can't remember if this is something I've actually done before back when the Square Enix store initially released it in 2012. I guess if nobody has an answer I can just go ahead and try it out, but I'm worried it'll bork if they share registry values or something.

Cheers, hope you're all doing well :)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Multiple Installations Question
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-05 18:43:13 »
I do have multiple copies installed, but I've had to modify each to point at a different place in the registry. I don't know if the Steam one does that, but I've had to change one of mine so I can make changes without altering a completely vanilla installation of the '98 version.

I think that only requires hex editing five or six bytes in the exe and the installer. It's easier to do this with the non-Steam version because Steam doesn't like edited files.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-05 18:44:30 »
Does the Steam version use the same registry entries then? Or are your copies two of the PC '98?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-05 19:02:46 »
My two are the '98. That's why I don't know what the Steam version does.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-05 19:59:51 »
No prob, thanks. I guess I'm just going to have to fire ahead and see what comes of it. Worst comes to the worst I can uninstall/reinstall whichever version.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-05 20:37:21 »
I am 99% sure you can install them side-by-side. I seem to remember having done this before, and I know I've looked into the Steam version's registry entries, but it's been a while so I can't remember what I actually found.