Author Topic: Game converter Patching....  (Read 2576 times)

Hexmoon_9

• View Profile
Game converter Patching....
« on: 2019-05-17 01:23:17 »
Game file in own designated games folder for Steam, not programs, ISO is mounted but when file path is inputted the program stays on the processing phase of the game conversion process. I tried Uninstalling the game and used the remove keys program but that was not even showing anything happening. Bewildered by this occurance

iDerek759

• View Profile
Re: Game converter Patching....
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-17 06:13:15 »
Did you try running the GC as admin.?

Edit: Also, disabling any Windows Firewalls sometimes help with this issue.

Hexmoon_9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-17 06:23:35 »
Yes I always run as administrator. I got further in the set up when I put the game file GC and zip file containing 7th Heaven on an SD card the night before if that is anything. My path I put is: "C:games\steamapps\commons\final fantasy vii" (typed in by phone for reply} I also have been u installing and removing all files with win+r searching %appdata% and removing everything remotely resembling ff7 before attempting to run the GC again. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Would it be my AntiVirus blocking something in the background?

Hexmoon_9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-05-17 16:03:57 »
Similar results. Is there a possibility that it is residual data left on my computer from when I attempted the SD card method? 

Hexmoon_9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-05-17 16:38:38 »
I ran the analyze wait tool and it says that the converter is waiting for another process (cmd.exe) but I do not know what that could be?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2019-05-17 22:24:56 »
That's the command prompt. Wherever you're attempting to run the GC, it can't open the command prompt to run the script.

Hexmoon_9

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-05-17 23:42:01 »
Alright, Thank you. I have currently been having the came converter 7th Heaven file and ISO all on a folder in my downloads folder. Would it be better just to have everything layed out on the desktop? Would my file path be alright as it is?

Hexmoon_9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-05-18 04:41:09 »
So I have been deleting and reinstalling all the software (Steam game/ 7th heaven/ GC / and ISO) emptied my recycle bin, and put all programs with the exclusion of FF7 steam version on the desktop. I am still getting the message. Would I need to wipe my drive clean of every program I ever installed to have the Game converter find my copy of the game?

sedef122003

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-05-18 22:36:21 »
I am having the same issue. It is maddening, I have seen so many people have similar issues. I mean no ferning mods or mod manager has been this hard to get simply running. So what now? I have seen people reinstall windows 10 just to get this strawberries program to work. That is not the signs of a well made program

Hexmoon_9

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-05-18 22:51:16 »
I personally will be trying the original Discs before I call it quits. You all try hard to deliver an new experience for ff7 enthusiasts and the mods look really great! Plus this is all free to users so there are bound to be little hiccups very understandable.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-05-19 03:20:04 »
I have seen people reinstall windows 10 just to get this strawberries program to work. That is not the signs of a well made program
You have to understand a couple of things here...
1.  FF7-PC was released 22 years ago, when Win95(!) ruled the roost.  The mentality (for lack of a better term) of the 9x codebase was totally different from NT (and remember, XP was just a theoretical target in Microsoft's eye at this point.. 98 was about to go gold, and the abomination of ME was going into early dev).  Therefore, assumptions about the system environment (permissions in particular) that were true then are no longer valid.  Hence the constant "Run as admin" and "Run at 640x480" type issues.
2.  InstallShield was a kludge then and still is today.  More 20 year-old assumptions that no longer hold true
3.  As Microsoft continues to fix bugs and improve the overall OS, more tricks and techniques that used to work, won't.  Many are the installs that were broken on Patch Tuesday.
4.  Nobody has the source code to go back and fix what might be broken.  Not even SquareEnix.  A bug that might have been perfectly harmless back then could cause modern OS protections (ASLR, DEP, W^X, etc.) to fault out and crash the program.  The mods, injectors, and what-not you see here are the result of a bunch of people poking and prodding at finished object code and trying to figure out (very successfully, for the most part) how it works, then slipping their own hooks in, which, not-so-coincidentally, is also how a virus works.  Cue problems with anti-virus programs in 3... 2... 1...