Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007842 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98-Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03b)
« Reply #1075 on: 2015-02-28 21:29:11 »
She put her heart and soul into it, but due to her being overly involved with it (she fancies Cloud you see also) and wanting to do a good card for him, she made a mistake with it which was detected.  The card was seen as fake and failed the check.

Also, I've gone with this... it may make things easier to understand:

“Nanaki is… Nanaki.
  That is his name.”
« Last Edit: 2015-02-28 21:31:09 by DLPB »

Yarow12

• I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: 2015-02-28 23:27:41 »
Interesting. It sounds so natural to me... and actually quite street-wise. 

I shall correct it as I don't think I can correct 100 million +Americans.  :-o

This is hella regional. I should've caught it in proofreading; the US never speaks like this unless they're trying to imitate early modern english.

Hello. First let me say thank you SO much for these mods! I've been lurking here for around two years waiting for it to be ready, and it was totally worth the wait! The new translation makes it feel like a whole new game.

I'm up through Wutai now and I think I found a small grammar error, which I didn't see in the bug tracker. It's at the part where you confront Yuffie for the first time at her house, to get your materia back. Cloud's line is:

"If you give it us now, we'll drop the whole thing."

I think it should be "If you give it to us now, we'll drop the whole thing."

And~ I would like to debate this.
Only if the English localization of Final Fantasy VII was specifically, or mainly, made for USA citizens should we be catered to in such a way. 'Correcting' it for the sake of those who would be confused or bothered by foreign dialects/languages would be the same as removing Cait Sith's Scottish accent, which, last time I checked, we are not to report to DLPB 'cause deal with it.
Yes, it is definitely wrong by USA's English standards. Yes, it will bother many USA citizens who are not familiar with British English. Yes, people will accuse Beacause of having 'poor' writing like Two Worlds has 'terrible' voice acting. Ef it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: 2015-02-28 23:50:43 »
I'm happy to change the odd word or line if it can then be accepted in both regions because it's no biggie really...  the odd "to" won't really make much difference.

On Cait, it's almost certainly correct to use the dialect but I made a big concession there also.  I toned the Scottish dialect down somewhat so that it would be understood by far more people.  This concession was necessary and doesn't affect the character or overall feel of the dialogue. Proper Scottish is a bit harder:

http://www.evertype.com/books/alice-sco.html
« Last Edit: 2015-02-28 23:58:31 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: 2015-02-28 23:54:24 »
The difference is that there's an "American English" option in the installer. It could be argued that when that option is checked, the version being installed IS specifically/mainly for US citizens, and the only grammar that isn't is:

• Wutai Pagoda
  • Gold Saucer Play
  • Cait Sith

In all of these cases, there is a story reason for them to use a different dialect than seen in the rest of the game. Even using international English spelling and grammar, all three of these cases would end up being different from the rest of the game. They're supposed to stand out. Cloud, on the other hand, should be expected to use the same dialect in this sentence that he and every other "non-descript dialect" character in the game uses, which depends on whether or not you check "American English" in the installer. It's certainly not the same as removing Cait Sith's accent.

That said, I did some looking into this, and "give it us" is even regional within England, some areas using it and some not.

Yarow12

• I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: 2015-03-01 01:28:03 »
@DLPB:
I'm definitely going to be adding "As faur as I ken" to my vocabulary.
Alice's Adventures in Wunnerland reminds me that I need to start writing my personal translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and The Death of King Arthur in my own dialect.
Speaking of dialects, never forget.

@Covarr:
I was not aware of the American English option in the installer since I have yet to run it. With this in mind, the 'correction' should definitely be done for the American English installation.
(snip)
That said, I did some looking into this, and "give it us" is even regional within England, some areas using it and some not.
It sounds like it's a form of slang then.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: 2015-03-01 01:48:33 »
"Give it us here"  can also mean "Give that to me"

Also probably Brit.

Melancholy

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: 2015-03-01 03:01:51 »
This is also wrong. You still need a comma after ID. But it is still grammatically correct to have a full stop after Cloud. It depends how the person says the sentence. I will add an ellipsis there instead.

The "I" is missing though!  So well spotted.
Okay, that's cool. When I read it, I read it as Cloud's ID overdid it, as in his ID overloaded the system or something (hence why I thought it should be a comma). I knew something was wrong with the sentence, I just didn't know what it was.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: 2015-03-01 04:26:03 »
When my 'merican brain reads that, I picture two cavemen arguing with each other. It's funny how varied English can be. I have a friend from Britain, his accent really comes out when he drinks. It's nearly incomprehensible to me during those time

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: 2015-03-01 04:38:00 »
when he drinks.

As a true brit should!

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: 2015-03-01 04:59:17 »
I would love to see a pikey version of the translation

kage52124

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: 2015-03-01 22:13:15 »
Regarding the FF7+ shortcut.

I wonder if anyone here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8936.0 would be willing to share their icons?  It's a little offputting to have the system generic exe icon on my desktop due to Reunion, not that I couldn't change it myself, but I imagine it'd be an easy thing to include?

Thanks a bunch, I'm slowly playing my way through FF7 ... again... for the sake of these better translations (and to maybe find some issues/typos).

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: 2015-03-02 00:44:28 »
Model Overhaul question. I'm in the Lifestream where Tifa and Cloud are piecing things back together, and I just watched the scene where Cloud stabs Sephiroth in the reactor.

When Cloud checks on Tifa, the camera pans up to Sephiroth holding Jenova's head, walking down the stairs, but it's the original SD sprite.

In the next shot, Sephiroth is walking out of that room holding Jenova's head, but he's not SD.

Maybe you missed a shot, or maybe there are complications there I'm not aware of. Thought you should know, regardless.

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: 2015-03-02 00:51:38 »
Oh, and just now, an American English thing: back on the Highwind, Barrett says "this ain't no time to piss about!"

0% of Americans say "piss about." Maybe use "mess around" instead?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: 2015-03-02 00:54:22 »
Model Overhaul question. I'm in the Lifestream where Tifa and Cloud are piecing things back together, and I just watched the scene where Cloud stabs Sephiroth in the reactor.

When Cloud checks on Tifa, the camera pans up to Sephiroth holding Jenova's head, walking down the stairs, but it's the original SD sprite.

In the next shot, Sephiroth is walking out of that room holding Jenova's head, but he's not SD.

Maybe you missed a shot, or maybe there are complications there I'm not aware of. Thought you should know, regardless.

This needs to be taken to Kaldarasha's Chaos thread :)

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: 2015-03-02 01:33:48 »
Another bug, and it's hard to explain since I can't seem to take screenshots easily:

In the Barracks in Junon, in the room with the slouch and the slouch-in-training, if you walk over to the bunks, face the back wall and press [OK], you'll still be able to talk to the guy sitting in the middle of the room. Maybe that was a bug in the original game, but since you're re-positioning NPCs from time to time, I thought this one might be worth a look.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: 2015-03-02 02:01:08 »
Original error, but too minor to really correct tbh. I might look at it another time. It's just the talk radius is too big.
I will change "piss about" to "mess around" in the American version, depending on what Covarr says.

Melancholy

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: 2015-03-02 02:04:51 »
Oh, and just now, an American English thing: back on the Highwind, Barrett says "this ain't no time to piss about!"

0% of Americans say "piss about." Maybe use "mess around" instead?
While I would say it's extremely rare to hear, I have heard it said before in the US. I don't think it's that big of an issue.

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: 2015-03-02 02:23:40 »
I've heard it said in the US too... by British people.

Off-screen dialog box bug: right after winning the first submarine minigame, the line "The Huge Materia is to be dispatched from the airport..." starts off-screen to the left, as is the line following it - "(something) with no further orders will be assigned to guard duty..."
« Last Edit: 2015-03-02 02:25:11 by JeffreyATW »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: 2015-03-02 02:28:12 »
I take it this is with the original game?  Not MO. 

I didn't get to test the game all the way through with the original game so there may be more.  This complicates things because it means me having to accommodate that older shoddy font.

Also, there was an error with my bugtracker... the years were all 2014 :P
« Last Edit: 2015-03-02 02:30:21 by DLPB »

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: 2015-03-02 02:29:06 »
Yeah, this is the Steam version, so non-MO.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: 2015-03-02 02:32:10 »
I did keep the older font in mind, so the errors should be few.

quequotion

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: 2015-03-02 02:37:19 »
I will send you the Japanese v English text later :)
Ready when you are!

Also, mind if I make notes on US (Midwestern Dialect) localization?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: 2015-03-02 02:42:17 »
Ready when you are!

Also, mind if I make notes on US (Midwestern Dialect) localization?

Anything you feel is a mistake or can be improved.  Send me in one document :)  See your PM box in 5 min.

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: 2015-03-02 03:08:02 »
Another positioning error: when entering the passcode to the Huge Materia on the rocket, one of Cid's first messages appears partially behind the countdown.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: 2015-03-02 03:13:13 »
Another positioning error: when entering the passcode to the Huge Materia on the rocket, one of Cid's first messages appears partially behind the countdown.

This happens because box heights are also different.  Noted.