Author Topic: Preparing to open my own PC business.  (Read 4573 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Preparing to open my own PC business.
« on: 2011-06-18 00:55:23 »
In the near future(next 6 months) I will acquire a restaurant. The premises is 1300$ a month, well located, and not only that, 4200 sq ft!
I know, its huge, but this is going to be a small family oriented restaurant.

So I've decided Id put the rest of the space to much better usage.
There is an area on the right side of the building, about 20x20, that would be perfect for a small pc store. I also plan on having a WIFI lounge between the pc shop and the restaurant.

The community here is largely ignorant of technology. I suspect 95% of the home computer userbase knows little more than how to surf the web.(I take this from 23 years of experience living here, and come on, Its rural ALABAMA lol.)

I would feel a great sense of pride if I could change the community of this county(or at least the town the restaurant and shop are located in) Into a more knowledgeable userbase.Problem is, the local college only offers CAD, and thats not REALLY a computer class, more so it teaches you how to put mathematical figures onto a template to carve a design.

I would like to build a curriculum, starting with the VERY BASICS, and working into the EXTREME, and teach classes regularly out of the shop, as my wife and mother will run the restaurant.

The problem lies withing the fact that as a very experienced user, I cannot remember the basics, or properly set up a curriculum that does not confuse...

I would love to hear your suggestions on the subject, and any ideas that may benefit the restaurant, shop,or the community in general.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing to open my own PC business.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-18 02:45:47 »
if you want to run such a business, you need a market, and from what you said, doesnt seem like you have one. Don't confuse your wanting ppl to be more into computers with them wanting to. unless you can make everyone want to stop by yer pc shop, and you should probably hype and establish that before u open up, use the space for something else. PCs are on the decline neways. make a tablet shop :P

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-18 03:16:53 »
The clientel will come from there being no real computer solutions around, unless you count Best Buy and Geek Squad, which is around 45 miles away.... and you know how ridiculously stupid they are right?

Everyone owns a pc or laptop with a virus nowadays, hell for 50$, Ill run roadkill then malwarebytes on if for you  :evil:

The user base wont know what I do, they will just say I paid this man 50$ and he got rid of my virus, and that is very acceptable to them.

Plus if they have any hardware/software issues, where are they to go to? Everyone is not as affluent with computers as we are here...

This was never meant to be a real moneymaker, just a hobby and a way to teach others, the money will come from the restaurant and whatever pc installs/builds/repairs I happen to do along the way.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-18 04:01:36 »
As far as the classes go, perhaps you should create a checklist that establishes what the customer already knows about computers, and what they want to learn about.  You could then organize the learners into categories and teach different groups.  If you plan to charge money for lessons, then you don't want to teach the same thing to a first-time user as you would to an experienced user looking for some advanced lessons.  Good luck.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-18 06:07:28 »
hell for 50$, Ill run roadkill then malwarebytes on if for you  :evil:

Exactly what I do.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-18 06:45:30 »
Exactly what I do.

Same, but I don't really have a pricing scheme.  It's more of pay me what you think it's worth, but don't lowball me, because then I WILL tell you a price, and then jack it up because you lowballed me.  Also, lesson learned from being stiffed when I really needed the money, cash up-front

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-21 15:58:19 »
Doesn't Malwarebytes EULA say it's not for commercial use?
Would you have to get a special license to do that?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-21 18:22:28 »
IDK, but I guess I would need to know wouldnt I? I mean that would be my responsiblity.

Time to read up on some of the legalities.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-21 20:12:08 »
Doesn't Malwarebytes EULA say it's not for commercial use?
Would you have to get a special license to do that?

I make it clear that you're not paying for use of the software, but for the use of my services.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-21 20:31:03 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:44:08 by Jenova's Witness »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-15 16:53:23 »
Hey guys Im going to start putting out business cards and flyers soon. Could someone work me up a attention grabbing flyer template for me to write on? I would really appreciate it.

Maybe throw some red and high detail in it? I dont know. I just need it to catch peoples eye on bulletin boards amongst "other" crap like mine lol.