Author Topic: Where Should I Start? (life advice)  (Read 40473 times)

Yarow12

• I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
    • View Profile
Where Should I Start? (life advice)
« on: 2011-06-25 22:33:25 »
My plan has changed tremendously. It's now more along the lines of joining movements down there like the Red Cross, and doing what I can through my own stride and with my own money like helping educate the children in anyway I can (having a school built), providing people with food and water, grow some crops, etc. I don't plan to help the entire continent anymore. I'll just pick a area that I believe I can be of the most use to and actually succeed with helping. I no longer plan on getting involved with the drug lords, politics, or "bandits" in any way.

As for my career, I'll be doing some form of technical drafting (not sure which one yet). On the side, I will work with 3D modeling, mapping, and art for video games. I don't plan on getting paid for this, it'll just be a hobby. I'll settle down and start a family whenever I'm ready. Until then, I'll be a virgin for life (abstinence). XD

Okay, here I go.

First of All

I don't know what I want to do career-wise. I've chosen to become a technical drafter. I'm not sure which specific area I'll be working with, though. >.> I am, however interested in nature and survival. I wouldn't mind living on a farm of my own and surviving off of it. I have very little interest in modern societies outside of video games and computer technology. I don't want a bank account, a tie, an expensive house accompanied by an expensive wife, and a car that costs more than the house. But most of all, I don't really know what I want. I've just recently actually developed a reason for living, the future, hopes, and dreams. Before this, I was willing to throw my life away at any given moment. Anyone could've pointed a gun at me, and I would've most likely told them to go f*ck themselves. :P I even challenged a guy to a duel (basically). It was more of a threat, though. I wanted us both to go to a forest with paintball guns, no armor or helmets, and kill eachother. I was thinking about climbing a tree after leading him towards a certain area and getting the drop on him, but before that I was thinking of freaking him out once it got dark since I'm dark toned and he's Caucasian. He was just an irritating person to me, and I wanted to get rid of him. I was very serious about the challenge, but he dropped the conversation. We're cool now.

Careers

I'm in high school, and will be a senior when school starts August 8th. I am interested in doing 3D modeling, mapping, and drawing characters for video games. All of these are things that I can develop throughout my life, though. I don't need to go to college for them. I am also interested in doing technical drafting, which pays very well regardless of which area of drafting I choose. I could make this a career and work on the others as I go by. I even have a RPG that I'm developing the plot to. I'm up to 8 front and back pages thus far and, after constant random mind blasts (lol), have finally taken a break from figuring out how everything will be. It's an idea that I'd like to incorporate into my own video game someday.

Hopes & Dreams

What I want to do is help people in a specific area of Africa, eradicate its "bandits" in the area (perhaps; somehow). destroy all drug trades or get the drug lords to help (again, somehow or perhaps not), get the child soldiers (mainly those who're with the "bandits") to join the revolution (I've changed my mind about this one), help get the people back on their feet (food, water, disease, rape, murder, etc.), get rid of the corrupt politics or just "bribe" them into helping (not exactly; scratching out the bribery part unless I can actually do that to someone who can help), help the "roots" by getting the children better education (I know that there are already school doing this), and turn Africa into one united nation (scratching that one out). Hopefully, I live long enough to make it all happen, but I don't know where to start. I know that I will need an armed force to deal with the "bandits," drug dealers (so they don't just kill me), politics, rapists, murderers, and whatever else comes my way (scratching out the armed force part and the rest that involve it). Right now, I'm thinking that I will need to start out by dropping into a specific area of Africa and take out the "bandits" in that area. One problem will be dealing with any child soldiers who may or may not be drugged. I'd rather make them part of the revolution as apposed to just killing them. Currently, I have no idea how I am going to get them on my side. They'll probably do what they were trained to do, kill us. They definitely won't listen if the men are around. We'll probably have to go in and slit some throats while knocking the children unconscious and ting them up. One way that I can unite the people, which just came to me, is by giving them an enemy, "white" people (changed my mind about this one >.>). I don't mean to have them running around hating and killing them, but to have them understand that we aren't our own enemies. I'm not sure about all of this yet, I have to figure it out as the days go by. After successfully eradicating the "bandits" in their own camp, I can have a temporary base (don't really plan on doing the eradication anymore). In fact, every "bandit" camp can be a base. After this, I can slowly make my way towards the nearest place that needs to be helped (food, water, rapists, etc.). Helping the people while moving around with an armed force will help politically as I continue on. This way, I can't be entirely branded as an enemy of Africa who's wishing to kill men, children, babies, and rape women. This is very likely of an accusation in my eyes.

So...

I'd like to make that dream come true, but I don't know where to start. I know I'll need money and power to get things done let alone form the army which I would not like to be composed entirely of mercenaries who have no interest in my dream. Any ideas on how to get the money? I just realized that this is pretty much similar to Mobile Suite Gundam 00 and Code Geass. :P Code Geass is more on the fiction side of a plan, though.

tl;dr: You Suck
« Last Edit: 2011-06-27 17:37:33 by Yarow12 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Where Should I Start? (life advice)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-25 23:19:44 »
To achieve your dream, you'll need to do one of three things:

1. Win the lottery. 9001 times.

2. Found several successful multinational corporations.

3. Become president of the United States and find some way to give all power to the executive branch.

This is the amount of money or power you'll need if you want to unite a huge continent filled with hundreds of different languages and hundreds of ethnic groups that have nothing in common.

The first one of these three things is the most likely.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-25 23:24:12 by Kudistos Megistos »

Yarow12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-25 23:30:00 »
I hear you, but I'm still willing to go all the way with this. The way I see it, I have two options in life: become successful or actually make a difference in the world we live in.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-25 23:46:49 »
...How old are you, Yarow?
« Last Edit: 2011-06-25 23:50:35 by Bosola »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-25 23:47:08 »
I think you've been watching TV shows too much...

People without money or power are nothing in this world. We can never change anything about the world, so why bother. Why would I even care? I'm just going to die sooner or later anyways so it won't be my problem. Leave it to the country's leaders.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: He's going to be a senior this August so I'm guessing 16 or 17.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-25 23:52:01 by DarkFang »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-25 23:54:37 »
16 or 17

...Figures.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-26 00:23:41 »
If anyone had been bothered to look at his profile, they'd see that he claims to be 18

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-26 03:19:53 »
Louisiana <---Explains allot. These folk are cut off from the rest of the US. Some say they even inbreed O_O.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-26 11:05:02 »
That is uncalled for mako.

Yarow12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-26 15:11:34 »
...How old are you, Yarow?
18 this may.
I think you've been watching TV shows too much...

People without money or power are nothing in this world. We can never change anything about the world, so why bother. Why would I even care? I'm just going to die sooner or later anyways so it won't be my problem. Leave it to the country's leaders.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: He's going to be a senior this August so I'm guessing 16 or 17.
Wow, you sound like a piece of shit IMHO. Seriously, and I already said that I'm going to need money and power, I get that. Why let a sh*tty world stay sh*tty instead of trying to do something about it?

If anyone had been bothered to look at his profile, they'd see that he claims to be 18
lol I am.
Louisiana <---Explains allot. These folk are cut off from the rest of the US. Some say they even inbreed O_O.
Very uncalled for indeed.

I'm trying to do something with my life that will do more than just increase my wealth and the wealth of my expensive wife. What were your hopes and dreams, guys/gals? Did you even try?

I'll be revising the main post later on today. I've posted on perhaps 7 different sites, and have gotten very helpful feedback that have made me rethink some things. Life's a process, and so are plans.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-26 15:35:48 »
That is uncalled for mako.
Very uncalled for indeed.

I apologize  :oops: dunno what I was thinking. I am very sorry.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-06-26 16:19:50 »
Wow, you sound like a piece of shit IMHO.
Before you go around pointing at "uncalled for" quotes...

Anyway, you don't need to come from money and power to make a difference. But you will need to acquire it along the way.

If you really truly want to do something huge and important it is going to take a consistent huge amount of effort on your part.

My favorite biography is that of Monty Roberts. Monty started out a farm boy with an abusive father. He ended up being praised by the queen of England. It's truly inspirational if you have an aspiration that seems impossible.
He was told time and again that what he wanted to do was impossible. He was beaten by his father in hopes he'd abandon his dreams, his teacher gave him an F when he wrote a paper stating what he wanted to do. He nearly starved to death, living off nothing but metrocal shakes for months. He even got imprisoned along the way. But he ended up changing the way we domesticate horses forever, and all around the world.

If you want to make a big difference, you will have to make that your main priority. No one can make a difference, on the side. I don't think you could get a job working with games, and still save Africa in your spare time.

If you really want to work with Africa, I would start by looking at volunteer opportunities there. You could do a study abroad in Africa while you're in college. And join the Peace Corps once you graduate. I'm sure there's a way you could be a positive figure there. But be prepared to spend your whole life working at it.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2011-06-26 16:27:23 »
ITT: OP thinks himself a latter-day Cassandra.

Did you even try?

Of course! That's why your goal of 'uniting' a disparate and heterogeneous continent like Africa has never been achieved before - you're the first person to actually think of it. Yes, that must be the reason. Not because there's a morass of geopolitical, material, cultural, economic and historical barriers. No, it's just you're the first person to bother. The fact you've no concrete plan nor well-reasoned thinking about why Africa is 'fragmented' in the first place doesn't matter. It must just be you're more willful than any of the other six-or-so billion individuals on earth.

You sound like a piece of shit IMHO

In my not-so-humble opinion as global moderator, further insults like that will get you moderated against. Cut it out.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-26 18:56:25 by Bosola »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #13 on: 2011-06-26 17:03:27 »
if you wanna make a difference in this world, the place to start is not a forum dedicated to a square enix video game.

you want the money and power to accomplish any dream, you have to get up off your butt, go out, and take what you want.

PS: oh guys, i don't mean to be rude but can we lay off the teenager insults, after all i am 18 myself.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-26 17:05:09 by Jaitsu Strife »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-06-26 18:23:44 »
Wow, you sound like a piece of shit IMHO.
I'm glad we could have a mature discussion about this without becoming too childish and turn to name-calling.

Honestly, it's probably just a teenage phase. We all have them. Like me, and my emo-ness. I'm gonna have to change sooner or later, sadly.

Yarow12

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-06-27 02:05:16 »
I apologize  :oops: dunno what I was thinking. I am very sorry.
Apology excepted. ^^

In my not-so-humble opinion as global moderator, further insults like that will get you moderated against. Cut it out.
Duly noted.

I'm glad we could have a mature discussion about this without becoming too childish and turn to name-calling.
I said what I said because of my honest opinion towards the person who insulted me with his/her impotence, for lack of a batter word. Re-read what you typed and tell me that doesn't just sound... sad. It made you, in that instant, seem like the type of person who was, and still is, too afraid and unwilling to go for his/her hopes and dreams. It's very pathetic to me, and it made me think of you as a... turd. I really dislike saying this, but no offense. Now, I've been shot at a bunch of times so far because of my topic on various websites already, so don't even bother. :P

"People without money or power are nothing in this world. We can never change anything about the world, so why bother. Why would I even care? I'm just going to die sooner or later anyways so it won't be my problem. Leave it to the country's leaders."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-06-27 02:08:04 »
To achieve your dream, you'll need to do one of three things:

1. Win the lottery. 9001 times.

2. Found several successful multinational corporations.

3. Become president of the United States and find some way to give all power to the executive branch.

This is the amount of money or power you'll need if you want to unite a huge continent filled with hundreds of different languages and hundreds of ethnic groups that have nothing in common.

The first one of these three things is the most likely.

Unfortunately Kud is right.  I am afraid the OP is utterly naive.  We all were at one time or another, but at 18 it is time to enter the real world.

There are ways to correct a lot of the worlds problems, but for the most part it is better to let these places like Africa live on their own.  No aid. No help.  Its own people and that of other similar countries, must take account of their own problems and fix them.

It is not my concern.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-27 02:11:46 by DLPB »

poofacetherisen

• My coffin smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-06-27 02:10:02 »
[Comment removed.]
« Last Edit: 2011-07-29 22:45:44 by poofacetherisen »

Yarow12

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-06-27 02:11:38 »
Unfortunately Kud is right.  I am afraid the OP is utterly naive.  We all were at one time or another, but at 18 it is time to enter the real world.

I'd honestly like to know what your hopes and dreams were at some point, if you don't mind. What did you want to be when you were a kid? I wanted to be an actor. Not sure why. It wasn't the fame, but it might have been just a desire to be able to go where ever and buy whatever. I was young then. At some point, I realized something about the life of an actor, and decided not to become one.

My main post has been revised. Hence the red.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-06-27 02:14:03 »
I had a few dreams, and I ain't give up on em.  Small things.  To write a best seller, to program a game (didn't matter which or how good), to make a lot of money.

I have done 1 of those, I learned to program simple games and that made me happy.  Making a lot of money probably goes with the other but my real goal in life is to be happy, and I am.  I have a great family behind me. 

I have no care whatsoever for any other persons country.  My own, I do care about.   I care about those close to me and my country.  Everything else can go on how it likes as long as it stays away from me.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-27 02:15:39 by DLPB »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-06-27 02:29:05 »
I said what I said because of my honest opinion towards the person who insulted me with his/her impotence, for lack of a batter word. Re-read what you typed and tell me that doesn't just sound... sad. It made you, in that instant, seem like the type of person who was, and still is, too afraid and unwilling to go for his/her hopes and dreams.
Too afraid or unwilling? It's not like that at all. I care about my dreams and goals. One day I will achieve these dreams and goals, unlike you. Because my dreams and goals are a lot more realistic than yours. I'm not trying to unite a whole entire continent full of people. The only possible way you could ever accomplish this is if you were some sort of deity.

I'll give you a few years. You'll look back at this "dream" of yours and think it was preposterous.

EDIT: And I never insulted you personally. I insulted the entire global population. Ones without money or power are nothing in this world.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-27 02:31:23 by DarkFang »

Yarow12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-06-27 03:09:53 »
Too afraid or unwilling? It's not like that at all. I care about my dreams and goals. One day I will achieve these dreams and goals, unlike you. Because my dreams and goals are a lot more realistic than yours. I'm not trying to unite a whole entire continent full of people. The only possible way you could ever accomplish this is if you were some sort of deity.

I'll give you a few years. You'll look back at this "dream" of yours and think it was preposterous.

EDIT: And I never insulted you personally. I insulted the entire global population.
Interesting, but by all means you did insult me personally. Think about it.

Ones without money or power are nothing in this world.
They are still human, they still have their families, lives, love, trust, dignity, dreams, and faith. This is me proving you wrong. But seriously, I just completely disagree with that fact/opinion of yours. I can see where you're coming from with it, though, but the way I see it people are still something regardless of how much around them they can control and rule over (money and power basically). The smallest spec of dust is something and so is a flea, in my understanding atleast. Now, of course, fleas and dust are swiped away and killed because those with the power to do so find them to be a nuisance (as do I). I just apparently have a different understanding of the word "nothing" than you do apparently. Thus, I actually didn't prove you wrong at all, did I? :P

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #22 on: 2011-06-27 04:10:05 »
dude, if your trying to sound like some kind of epic dreamer, your doing it in the wrong place. simple as that.

Yarow12

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-06-27 04:29:06 »
Uhm, no, actually, I was just trying to get some advice from people I assumed have some experience with living regardless whether this forum is dedicated to a video game or not. Should I not expect you all to be able to give good life advice?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #24 on: 2011-06-27 04:32:40 »
Uhm, no, actually, I was just trying to get some advice from people I assumed have some experience with living regardless whether this forum is dedicated to a video game or not. Should I not expect you all to be able to give good life advice?

not to put anyone here down, but your asking advice on following ones dream from guys who regularily talk about some of the troubles they are having in life, if you want advice, there are much better places to go, there are most definately people who can give good advice here, but if i were you, i'd search for it somewhere else.