Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Omzy's Field Pack - dramatically improved backgrounds! (2013-07-13)  (Read 275445 times)

Omzy

• View Profile
Hi Omzy,
thank you very much for that cool texture packs.
I download the 3gb pack two days ago but the file "itown1b" was not included.
Hmm, that is odd, must've been overlooked somehow. Sorry EQ2Alyza for misleading you. For now, here's just itown1b.

Shortly, I will make a new download containing everything.

Kompass63

• View Profile
Thank you so much for the files.
 Unfortunately seems to be present at my FF7 an error, so I can not test just now.

Edit: I'm so stupid, I've manipulated ff8_opengl.cfg  ::)
A "Glitch" is occur, but it work! Thanks a lot :-D
I now have 702 folders

greet Kompass63
« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 21:46:40 by Kompass63 »

Omzy

• View Profile
Here's another background that was pointed out to me. Apparently, the door in Aeris' house was closed all the time, even if the door was supposed to be open. ealin_2.

I'm going to include both itown1b and ealin_2 in the new download. Let me know if you guys find any other messed up or missing scenes  :lol:

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
It's okay Omzy, I will wait for your new download. If anything else pops up in my playthroughs, I will be sure to let you know.

Kompass63

• View Profile
Here's another background that was pointed out to me. Apparently, the door in Aeris' house was closed all the time, even if the door was supposed to be open. ealin_2.

I'm going to include both itown1b and ealin_2 in the new download. Let me know if you guys find any other messed up or missing scenes  :lol:
Work!

Unfortunately, to see the doors open (right) is not good.

« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 22:19:57 by Kompass63 »

Omzy

• View Profile
Work!

Unfortunately, to see the doors open (right) is not good.
Aha, now that is interesting. I checked it out and apparently those animations are broken even without my pack. The foreground is being drawn on top of the closed door animations. That is either a problem with the original game or with the OpenGL driver, so there's nothing I can do from my end to fix it.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
I noticed some other glitches.
Unfortunately I don't recall the scene names.

The door in the Costa Del Sol inn has a blue outline.
In the chocobo sage's house there is a small white blotch above him.
Dark edges outline the scenery in the ice crater maze.

Kompass63

• View Profile
GLITCH: missed palette write to external texture field/delmin2/delmin2_15    (Costa del Sol Inn)
GLITCH: missed palette write to external texture field/zz3/zz3_15      (chocobo sage's house)
GLITCH: missed palette write to external texture field/icedun_1/icedun_1_15   (frost cave)

do you mean that?

That is either a problem with the original game or with the OpenGL driver

It's a problem with the original game.

greet Kompass63
« Last Edit: 2012-08-20 00:36:32 by Kompass63 »

CloudXIII

I had noticed the aerith door glitch. i didnt bother but then again i should probably be report things like that to you guys so they can be addressed.

Rumbah

• View Profile
If you plan to release the whole pack and want to save some space you could run the pngs through pnggauntlet, it optimizes the png compression losslessly.

I ran it on a few samples out of your pack it reduces the files size by one fourth to one third.
But be warned, it's slow as hell :p

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Aye, to go through all of the pngs would take an immense amount of time, and you have to be careful.  If you use some of the tricks for reducing size, Aali's driver has issues with them.

The best way to reduce size is for Aali to support jpeg instead of png for the backgrounds.  I asked him about it once and he won't, so that's that.  If I ever make my own, I will make the pngs 2x and not 4x. 

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
If you plan to release the whole pack and want to save some space you could run the pngs through pnggauntlet, it optimizes the png compression losslessly.

I ran it on a few samples out of your pack it reduces the files size by one fourth to one third.
But be warned, it's slow as hell :p
You should check out Riot it's fast as heck and of course png compression losslessly, not to mention the faster/better your processor is it should be even faster

savage-xp

• View Profile
Gold Saucer entrece is Broken in Cd3

Omzy

• View Profile
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just posted a new link to the updated 3gb pack on Google Drive. Hopefully the download speed is fast enough. I will fix errors over time as I see them and upload them to the drive. Diehards can install them individually on top of the field pack. Right now there are no extra fixes.

I also am preferring quality over portability here. If someone else wants to downscale or further make more efficient this mod and provide an alternate download link, that is totally fine with me.

Mako

• View Profile
I also am preferring quality over portability here. If someone else wants to downscale or further make more efficient this mod and provide an alternate download link, that is totally fine with me.
Thanks Omzy, reducing the images to 2X does not come at a loss of quality. I'm in the process of optimizing everything. :) It should not take me to long, I work very fast.

Omzy

• View Profile
Thanks Omzy, reducing the images to 2X does not come at a loss of quality. I'm in the process of optimizing everything. :) It should not take me to long, I work very fast.
Great and thanks--once you have a link, ill put it in the main post.

Mako

• View Profile
Arg I've spent hours toiling away... seems there IS a loss of quality when going to 2x. It's very slight, but its there...

Salk

• View Profile
Thanks for updating and hosting your mod, Omzy!

Great stuff!  ;)

P.S. And I am oh so happy that you go for quality over portability!

apz freak

• View Profile
Awesome

Omzy

• View Profile
Arg I've spent hours toiling away... seems there IS a loss of quality when going to 2x. It's very slight, but its there...

If you're using Photoshop, when you are reducing to 2x are you using Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction) or Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges)? Bicubic sharper will sharpen the image whereas nearest neighbor will simply resize it without any filters.

Note: Could anyone who downloads the new pack please post how the download speed is for them? Its using Google Drive, which I have little experience with.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
I'll have a report once i am home in about an hour.

ProtoX

my download speed is 2.68 megabytes per second estimated time 20 minutes using internet explorer 9 with microsoft silverlight 5 installed
« Last Edit: 2012-08-21 20:54:41 by ProtoX »

MrValle

Hi, is there a way to make this mod work with the re-release version of FFVII

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
My average speed for the download was 2.21 megabytes per second and it took 24 minutes.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
I feel pitiful with my max 1.0-1.1 mb/sec (speed up to 24 mbps- Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1.021 / 11.235)