Author Topic: creating new animations question  (Read 4069 times)

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
creating new animations question
« on: 2016-10-30 16:34:18 »
Is there a way I can create a new custom animation in Kimera?  I like to create something similar to supernova so it can be used by the player.  Also nice to do for making new bosses.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: creating new animations question
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-01 18:19:37 »
Hey Gensis. So the short answer is yes, but there's a bit of work involved. My only experience with this was the Red Werewolf mod with Wolfman. First you have to have a skeleton for a model that fits the animations you want to use (in our case we used the Galiant Beast model). You'll need to do some editing to make this model playable (I believe we recycled one of Vincents several battle models) it'll need a valid battle model file (such as RTAA). Once you have this you have a playable character full of animations of their own you can use. At this point you can probably make the Supernova attack an available limit break.

For the Red Werewolf we actually reused quite a few of Vincents limit break attacks, and you can also tweak the actual animations to better fit your model.

For actual character animations this is a lot more work. To make the Red Werewolf stand up and walk around we used Barret's skeleton and a mixture of his and Cloud's animations (they're pretty similar, other than their feet). From there you can select which animations you need for the various actions this character will make (if they're a member of your team or seen in the field). This process can take awhile though, I believe Wolfman and I spent 2 weeks or more editing and creating brand new animations.

I can offer insight for the animations and adding limit breaks for characters, but actually making a model available as a teammate is outside my knowledge, we had help with that part. Didn't seem difficult, you just have to know how to do it (or it was just made to look easy lol, not to undersell the complexity involved). I think that answered your question, but maybe a bit off topic since your talking about new bosses instead of a new team character.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-01 18:21:42 by cmh175 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-01 18:55:58 »
Do you mean allowing the player to use supernova? That won't happen. That requires the swirling heavens background. Kimera can't do anything to change that.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-02 15:20:43 »
Do you mean allowing the player to use supernova? That won't happen. That requires the swirling heavens background. Kimera can't do anything to change that.
No cmh175 answered what I needed I just needed to know if it was possible before I attempt it.  I might make close or a better supernova for the player that is my intent.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-03 20:30:06 »
Am I missing something? Since when could Kimera modify effect animations?