Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)  (Read 468716 times)

littlemad

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry: Enhanced (2.04)
« Reply #250 on: 2016-08-14 23:03:49 »
As long as you have your hashmaps where they need to be, no. So far everything else looks correct. You're using both Project Eden and SeeD Reborn, like you said. So the Title Screen hasn't changed at all? Or the text and menus?

not at all, it is all as the vanilla pixellated. For this reason I checked and double checked the instructions. I would like to know how to debug the problem, I feel that the "newer" version of the installation file required is not working as it should by recognising the files but I have no idea how to check that.

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #251 on: 2016-08-15 00:51:02 »
not at all, it is all as the vanilla pixellated. For this reason I checked and double checked the instructions. I would like to know how to debug the problem, I feel that the "newer" version of the installation file required is not working as it should by recognising the files but I have no idea how to check that.

You'd have to get in touch with the creator/contributors of Tonberry to find a solution, probably. But they are all usually busy. You could always try v1.61 and see if that works.

ryus

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2016-08-15 05:55:07 »
The reason both cannot work together is because each use they're own d3d9.dll file. So really, you can only pick one or the other. But you can use GeDoSaTo to use SweetFX-like effects. Just be sure to set "interceptOnlySystemDlls" to "true" in the "Edit Settings" or FF8 will most likely crash.

Thanks a lot for the help. gedosato its working now along the new textures.  ;D

Omik

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2016-08-30 07:37:57 »
Hello, I'm new here. Thank you for all the work modding the game.

I have a question, I just installed the latest version, and various mods (here's the folders of tonberry and textures)  http://imgur.com/a/qKjvu

I have the correspondent files in textures and in objmap, and the game function properly. But the screen when I enter the game had some glitches. The Squaresoft logo only show the center part, and the black square which shows the controls before the "new game - continue" menu don't show anything. And in game the exit command (esc) only show the buttons, but no the words.

So, anyone know what could be? Overlay in steam is disabled. (here are the pictures of the problem) http://imgur.com/a/XFRGf

Thank to all for the hard work!

Cheers!

I have faced the same problem, also in fight on monsters the effect of a blindness isn't displayed. Removal of the collisions.csv file has helped
What this file is intended for?

E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\tonberry\hashmap

Grimmedor

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2016-09-08 15:54:50 »
Hi Guys

I am from South Africa

I cant seem to get this tonberry thing right, I used to play this game when I was really young and would like to do so again.
I bought it recently on Steam but the textures suck and it's ruining my trip down memory lane.
I tied doing everything posted and watching youtube videos but i cant get it to work.

Please HELP!!!!

Bendy

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2016-10-08 22:21:49 »
Hello, created an account so i could post and hopefully get some help.

I had Tonberry working before (think it was 1.5 or something, an early version anyway) and now i cant get it working at all after deciding to reinstall FF8.

I'm not quite sure what im doing wrong either as i think i have all the files in the right place.

(if none of these photos worked, you can try http://imgur.com/a/mTuNQ)

When i load the game, the start screen hasnt changed, character models lookk like theyve changed but unsure, backgrounds havent changed and neither have the text or cards. I'm bamboozled by this now.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-08 22:30:37 by Bendy »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #256 on: 2016-10-09 00:27:05 »
Hello, created an account so i could post and hopefully get some help.

I had Tonberry working before (think it was 1.5 or something, an early version anyway) and now i cant get it working at all after deciding to reinstall FF8.

I'm not quite sure what im doing wrong either as i think i have all the files in the right place.

(if none of these photos worked, you can try http://imgur.com/a/mTuNQ)

When i load the game, the start screen hasnt changed, character models lookk like theyve changed but unsure, backgrounds havent changed and neither have the text or cards. I'm bamboozled by this now.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like you're missing the SeeD Reborn hashmap. As for everything else outside of SeeD Reborn, it looks like you don't have the textures for those specific mods you're wanting to use in the texture folder. Only their hashmaps. You also are saying something about character models? Not sure if you mean Rebirth Flame since I see neither the textures or hashmap for it in your pictures. And I'm also not sure what that objfile.csv is that's inside your Tonberry folder.

Bendy

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2016-10-09 10:28:35 »
So i dont need the objfile.csv? Yeah i forgot to screenshot after i added in rebirth flame. So all im missing is textures and a hashmap? Im sure i downloaded everything from the links.
I'll go have another try and see how i get on.

EDIT: So after somehow missing all the texture files and such, this is my folder structure for the texture and hash folders (obj folder still only has lunerCry only in it)
http://imgur.com/a/mTuNQ

Loading the game now has updated GUI, start screen, cards, text and characters but i dont think the backgrounds are updated? am i missing anything else? (sorry for the constant questions :P
« Last Edit: 2016-10-09 11:11:13 by Bendy »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #258 on: 2016-10-09 17:30:53 »
So i dont need the objfile.csv? Yeah i forgot to screenshot after i added in rebirth flame. So all im missing is textures and a hashmap? Im sure i downloaded everything from the links.
I'll go have another try and see how i get on.

EDIT: So after somehow missing all the texture files and such, this is my folder structure for the texture and hash folders (obj folder still only has lunerCry only in it)
http://imgur.com/a/mTuNQ

Loading the game now has updated GUI, start screen, cards, text and characters but i dont think the backgrounds are updated? am i missing anything else? (sorry for the constant questions :P

Everything looks to be in place now. I don't think you'll be needing the objfile.csv anymore. The backgrounds are upscaled, so it is working. Project Eden still needs some work, so you'll likely find a few issues like those black lines here and there.

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2016-11-08 13:24:10 »
Somehow I tend to be too stupid to mod FF's...

I just downloaded this and Project Eden for testing purposes.
(Since this replaces the classic tonberry I'm a bit confused about stuff (hashmaps) going in the \tonberry or \tonberry\hashmaps.

I put the Project Eden hashmap in this folder: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\tonberry\hashmap
All the textures are in: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\textures
(Steam Overlay is disabled and it's a clean install)
It doesn't matter if I choose a direct path in the prefs.ini either.

But I get an CTD as soon as I start :(
(unknown error)
« Last Edit: 2016-11-08 13:28:33 by Luceid »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #260 on: 2016-11-08 23:00:21 »
Somehow I tend to be too stupid to mod FF's...

I just downloaded this and Project Eden for testing purposes.
(Since this replaces the classic tonberry I'm a bit confused about stuff (hashmaps) going in the \tonberry or \tonberry\hashmaps.

I put the Project Eden hashmap in this folder: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\tonberry\hashmap
All the textures are in: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\textures
(Steam Overlay is disabled and it's a clean install)
It doesn't matter if I choose a direct path in the prefs.ini either.

But I get an CTD as soon as I start :(
(unknown error)

You got the file paths correct.  When you open /textures/, do you see a bunch of two letter named folders?

Also, do you have the new Tonbery .dlls?  They go in your FINAL FANTASY VIII folder.

Try updating microsoft VC also to see if that helps.

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2016-11-09 14:20:52 »
I tried updating / downloading VC at the very start of the process but I got always the message, that there are newer version of it already on my system (Win 10). So there is no way to update either VC 2010 or VC 2015.
Folderwise it looks like this atm:

Regarding the Tonberry-DLLs: Which one do I need? From Tonberry enhanced or from the "classic" Tonberry project?
« Last Edit: 2016-11-09 14:22:49 by Luceid »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #262 on: 2016-11-09 17:04:30 »
Regarding the Tonberry-DLLs: Which one do I need? From Tonberry enhanced or from the "classic" Tonberry project?

You need only the .ddl's from the newest version of Tonberry.
Can you screenshot your FINAL FANTASY VIII/ parent folder and your FINAL FANTASY VIII/textures folder?
You don't need VC if you have a newer version, so you're good there.  Try running FF8 in 'compatibility' mode. 
If that doesn't work, go into your TaskManager and assign FF8 to only use the first core of your PC.  I've heard this works for Win10

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2016-11-10 14:39:15 »
Thanks for the tip - it worked with the DDLs of the original Tonberry :)

I know it's maybe not the correct topic but I don't want to open up some new one either.
So: The game runs fine now "vanilla" but if I want to use GeDoSaTo (even with native 1920x1080) the game crashes. It crashes as well if I disable all post processing effects.
Is there anything I can do? (Win 10)

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #264 on: 2016-11-10 15:48:24 »
Thanks for the tip - it worked with the DDLs of the original Tonberry :)

I know it's maybe not the correct topic but I don't want to open up some new one either.
So: The game runs fine now "vanilla" but if I want to use GeDoSaTo (even with native 1920x1080) the game crashes. It crashes as well if I disable all post processing effects.
Is there anything I can do? (Win 10)

Go into "Edit Settings" and set "interceptOnlySystemDlls" to true and that should hopefully fix the crashing problem with using GeDoSaTo.

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2016-11-10 16:00:44 »
This one worked as well and I can see the finish line already.
But the post processing doesn't seem to work (enabled split screen for testing-purposes).
Is there something else to consider?

Some texture.packs work very well like Project Eden or Horizon.
But Rebirth Flame doesn't work :(
(doesn't matter which version or if the hashmap is either in \tonberry or \tonberry\hashmaps.
This is strange.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #266 on: 2016-11-10 16:21:33 »
This one worked as well and I can see the finish line already.
But the post processing doesn't seem to work (enabled split screen for testing-purposes).
Is there something else to consider?

Some texture.packs work very well like Project Eden or Horizon.
But Rebirth Flame doesn't work :(
(doesn't matter which version or if the hashmap is either in \tonberry or \tonberry\hashmaps.
This is strange.

That's good. :) The most I can say about the post processing is that you have a choice between two types. Each type has its own settings. And I assume you're going with the one Mcindus has set. So be sure to choose "Alt. Post Processing" settings to edit that one.

That is odd. It should work if the others do. You did take the "ch" folder out of whichever pack you chose and put that in the texture folder, yes?

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2016-11-11 17:39:01 »
As you can see background is Project Eden but the characters still look vanilla :(

The Horizon pack worked as well:

SeeD-Reborn aswell:

So I have no clue why the h*** Rebirth Flame doesn't work - textures are alll in the folders like the other projects that work and the hashmap is even in both folders (\tonberry or \tonberry\hashmaps)

As you maybe realized already: There's some bar still visible. This happens if I don't choose Fullscreen in the launcher. If I do, something more strange happens: Instead of a fullscreen-image, the game is displayed in a small window:

Did someone encounter this before?

PS: I got some post-processing-stuff to work but not the (in my eyes) most important one: CRT.
Did someone get this to work with GeDoSaTo?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #268 on: 2016-11-12 05:14:34 »
This is because you are using hash2map.csv and not the individual hashes with the new version of Tonberry.  The old version of Tonberry can only do the mods up to a certain point because it doesn't have the ability to see the hash files individually.  You should really replace those dlls with the new ones.  The new Tonberry also has texture caching, etc.  Much easier to manage.

There is a 'hackish' way to go about it, but it's not desirable and you would encounter a lot of errors.

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2016-11-12 10:35:37 »
I know, I'm bugging you guys .__.

Well... this whole Tonberry vs. Tonberry enhanced is getting confusing  :o
I'm still not into it actually. Do I need both? Is the "classic" one obsolete? (why is it still linked under "essential mods" then?)
What folder structure is needed  (\tonberry or \tonberry\hashmaps)? Which DLL's I need? :(
I know this is a stupid question but this issue wasn't mentioned in your tutorial vid f.e.

So what do I need to do? Dump all DLL's from Tonberry enhanced and that's it?

My hashmap-folders look like this atm:

PS: Did you manage to get CRT working with GeDoSaTo?
PPS: Is there anything I can do about this frame / mini-window (when using fullscreen) when going for 3840?

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2016-11-12 10:37:46 »
edit: Double Post :(
« Last Edit: 2016-11-12 10:45:36 by Luceid »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #271 on: 2016-11-12 15:24:45 »
I know, I'm bugging you guys .__.

Well... this whole Tonberry vs. Tonberry enhanced is getting confusing  :o
I'm still not into it actually. Do I need both? Is the "classic" one obsolete? (why is it still linked under "essential mods" then?)
What folder structure is needed  (\tonberry or \tonberry\hashmaps)? Which DLL's I need? :(
I know this is a stupid question but this issue wasn't mentioned in your tutorial vid f.e.

So what do I need to do? Dump all DLL's from Tonberry enhanced and that's it?

My hashmap-folders look like this atm:

PS: Did you manage to get CRT working with GeDoSaTo?
PPS: Is there anything I can do about this frame / mini-window (when using fullscreen) when going for 3840?

Just go to the tonberry enhanced page and download the whole package.  Delete the old version of tonberry (except for your textures folder - you can still use this one with the new tonberry).  Then you must place the individual hash files (they normally end in "_hm.csv", like "SeeDReborn_hm.csv") and put those files (they come with the mods) into tonberry/hashmap.  The old Tonberry is obsolete - and the 'essential mods' page isn't really 'essential' it's more 'all the mods' lol.  Go with the MCINDUS mods guide via Steam for a more up to date mods package list.

CRT works just fine with GeDoSaTo.  Is your monitor's resolution 1920x1080?  That's the only way to use 3840 properly.  Just double your resolution and plug it into gedosato.  Also, make sure your monitors refresh rate is correct.  This should fix your windowing, I believe.  Make sure you select the new resolution in the FF8_Launcher settings before you launch the game.

I think I'm going to do a GeDoSaTo comparison via screenshots to show people what they can do with it.  It's pretty massive.

k0s4m3

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2016-11-13 05:37:14 »
Edit: I think I figured out my problem. It seems I missed out on some hashmaps.
Reinstalling everything again just to make sure I didn't miss anything else.
Thanks!!

Edit 2: Everything is working fine now!! Thanks for the guide and your hard work =D

Hi Mcindus,
Thank you for your contribution!
I have followed one of your guides but I don't think any changes have taken place on my FFVIII at all.
I don't have any previous versions of Tonberry installed and I installed everything onto a fresh installation of FFVIII.
Please take a look at my directories in the images below. Is there anything that I missed or doing wrong?
Thanks!!

« Last Edit: 2016-11-13 07:35:59 by k0s4m3 »

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2016-11-13 14:29:16 »
Thanks for your many tips FatedCourage and Mcindus - I finally made it work texture-wise (even with Project Hellfire) - windowing, etc. --> gone! :)

I still can'r get some small CRT-things to work (would do some small wonders graphic-wise I guess)
I tried copying the settings from this https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1033/ into GeDoSaTo but it does nothing o.O
Other stuff like small luma- and texture-sharpening works a tiny bit.

Could someone post a setting for the CRT-stuff?

PS: If I use the Addons and therefore a new Launcher, do I have to edit GeDoSaTo'S whitelist?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #274 on: 2016-11-15 03:58:29 »
Thanks for your many tips FatedCourage and Mcindus - I finally made it work texture-wise (even with Project Hellfire) - windowing, etc. --> gone! :)

I still can'r get some small CRT-things to work (would do some small wonders graphic-wise I guess)
I tried copying the settings from this https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1033/ into GeDoSaTo but it does nothing o.O
Other stuff like small luma- and texture-sharpening works a tiny bit.

Could someone post a setting for the CRT-stuff?

PS: If I use the Addons and therefore a new Launcher, do I have to edit GeDoSaTo'S whitelist?

You have mostly everything correct -- delete 'collisions.csv' and 'hash2map.csv' because you don't need them anymore.

In order to use the CRT settings, you have to pick 'edit postprocessing' and enable it there, in gedosato.  Also make sure you don't use a different postprocessing plugin like asmodean if you're using sweetFX.

You should look through the gedosato forum post and direct any more questions there.