Author Topic: Woman dies in pool; no-one notices for two days  (Read 2688 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Woman dies in pool; no-one notices for two days
« on: 2011-07-01 10:17:19 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13986769

Authorities in the US (where else? ;D) state of Massachusetts are trying to find out how a body lay unnoticed in a swimming pool for more than two days as the public continued to use the facility.

So how about that? There was a body lying at the bottom of the pool for days, whilst people were still using it, and no-one noticed. The woman's friends didn't even notice she was gone. She wasn't found until some teenagers broke in in the middle of the night; apparently, drunken teenagers can see better in the dark than pool staff can when it's light.

I'm beginning to suspect that swimming pool inspectors just don't care about black people.

(to be fair, one young boy did report seeing the body; he was ignored)

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: Woman dies in pool; no-one notices for two days
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-01 19:51:41 »
Don't think those teenagers will be swimming at night again for a while :P

That's creepy.  Maybe it's possible not to notice if it's in the deep end, but I guess it's more likely that most people either glimpsed her briefly and assumed she was alive, or were so put off by the encounter that they felt too uncomfortable to report it.  Diffusion of responsibility - if something distressing happens in a crowded place, people will assume that other people will deal with it and save them the trouble.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Woman dies in pool; no-one notices for two days
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-02 02:52:27 »
One word.

'merica

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile