Author Topic: YAMST: Chrome overtakes Firefox in Britain; Win7 about to overtake XP in Japan  (Read 15241 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yet Another Market Share Thread!

According to statcounter (which, I'll grant, might be liable to over-representing recent browsing trends), unhackable Chrome has overtaken the cumbersome Firefox in the UK, with a whopping 0.04% lead. A great victory for people who don't like their browsers crashing every 5 minutes and using 12TB of RAM just to browse the qhimm forums! I'm using Chromium, so I'm not sure whether my internet use is counted towards Chrome. If it is, I'm probably single-handedly responsible for this.

Also interesting is the fact that Windows 7 is likely to overtake XP in Japan within the next month or so. Japan is famously fast in adopting certain kinds of technology, but famously slow when it comes to desktop PCs. Internet Explorer's market share might also drop below 50% over there quite soon. Seriously, what is it with Asian countries? Are they stuck in the early 2000s when it comes to computers? Do they hate installing anything? Do they think that the official Microsoft default software must be the best? Does IE's crappiness appeal to their sense of bad web design and hatred of people with epilepsy? At least Japan isn't as bad as Korea, where the government basically enforced IE until recently because of (wait for this; you'll laugh)
Spoiler: show
security

netmarketshare tells a much sadder story of IE and XP having over 50% global market share and IE6 still being used by 10% of the world.  I'll pretend that statcounter is more reliable, because I'd have to cry if nms was.

Mako

• View Profile
Yes, I have noticed a HUGE increase in chrome users.... Thing that astounds me is how fast google took over. @_@ And how fast FireFox became known as the buggy browser.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Yet Another Market Share Thread!

According to statcounter (which, I'll grant, might be liable to over-representing recent browsing trends), unhackable Chrome has overtaken the cumbersome Firefox in the UK, with a whopping 0.04% lead. A great victory for people who don't like their browsers crashing every 5 minutes and using 12TB of RAM just to browse the qhimm forums!

Or browsers which eat up valuable vertical screen estate!

For me, Chrome isn't the better choice because it's more stable, or less prone to memory leaks. It's better because the UI is clean, efficient, stays out of my way and keeps focus on the real reason I'm using it - the browser content.

Mako

• View Profile
the browser content.
Bosola quit spewing your radical ideals! We both know it's all about large icons and huge UI's.  ;-)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Or browsers which eat up valuable vertical screen estate!

For me, Chrome isn't the better choice because it's more stable, or less prone to memory leaks. It's better because the UI is clean, efficient, stays out of my way and keeps focus on the real reason I'm using it - the browser content.

I completely forgot about that!

I'm a vertical screen estate Nazi, so that was actually one of the things that drew me to Chromium. Firefox actually has an extension that gives you more screen estate, but it's still  pretty ugly.

I hate to think what IE10 will look like; Microsoft seems intent on using XBOX HUEG RIBBONS EVERYWHERE in Windows 8. There'll probably be about 30 vertical pixels left. In fact, I'm surprised that I haven't yet made a thread complaining about how retarded Win8 looks...

Someone should really tell MS that using the same UI for desktops and mobiles is not a good idea. And someone should remind them that whilst vertical screen estate isn't much of an issue for mobile devices, since they're usually used in portrait mode, it's a big issue for 1920x1080 desktop monitors.

Their tradition of following a good OS with a shitty one seems to be continuing.

We both know it's all about large icons and huge UI's.  ;-)

MS employee detected!

Yes, I have noticed a HUGE increase in chrome users.... Thing that astounds me is how fast google took over. @_@ And how fast FireFox became known as the buggy browser.

I'm not surprised by either. Chrome is actually quite good, which appeals to nerds, and is sufficiently well-advertised for normal people to download it. There are Chrome ads everywhere.

Firefox is now known as the buggy browser because it's so...buggy. Mozilla seem to be losing their touch.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Firefox is now known as the buggy browser because it's so...buggy. Mozilla seem to be losing their touch.
If I wanted a slow, unstable browser, I'd just use IE since it came with Windows. Then again, I've actually had Firefox crash on me MORE than IE ever since FF4 came out.

Mako

• View Profile
MS employee detected!
OH noes ya caught me :) I must inform the hive before I am captured!

Landarma

• View Profile
Also interesting is the fact that Windows 7 is likely to overtake XP in Japan within the next month or so.
It reminds me something off-topic: 2009 Windows 7 Demonstration at Japan.  I don't know why(7!).

Does IE's crappiness appeal to their sense of bad web design and hatred of people with epilepsy? At least Japan isn't as bad as Korea, where the government basically enforced IE until recently because of (wait for this; you'll laugh)
Spoiler: show
security
Yay for this.  Thanks for that, we are forced to install various unwanted 'security modules' that never help us(rather such ActiveX components can cause various problems on your computer).  :P

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
I still use FireFox, because they have an awesome ad block add-on.

Chrome is much faster. Plus they have the AdBlock Plus extension for Chrome as well.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-10 04:52:53 by DarkFang »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
It reminds me something off-topic: 2009 Windows 7 Demonstration at Japan.  I don't know why(7!).

I remember that! ;D

MS really tried to market it properly over there and made a big deal of the touch features. They even had an official OS-tan (at least she was cute when she failed).

It didn't really work.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
I use IE9 and it works very well.

I stopped seeing a need to install firefox after ie8 came out as I don't use the extensions anyway.  The only ads I disable are hover-links and I can do that from within IE by blocking the proper domains.  Gotta support free websites by loading the ads.

And IE9 has lots of vertical real estate.  I haven't used chrome since I tested version 1 but the vertical UI is actually very similar to what I remember space-wise.

idl12

• View Profile
I remember that! ;D

They even had an official OS-tan (at least she was cute when she failed).

It didn't really work.

I suddenly have a strong urge to support windows 7 now.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Okay I take it back. I don't care for Chrome at all. I had 10 Chrome.exe processes in my task manager. When the memory usage is added together, it equals to about the same, if not more than Firefox ever was. It doesn't have the same feel as Firefox did either. There's no doubt it's the fastest web browser available, but it's just not for me.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
This thread has made me want to download Chrome. But I'm so used to Firefox.... lately it's been using like 180k of memory, my laptop starts to sound like it's having a heart attack.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Okay so maybe Firefox does take more memory than Chrome, but when you have 8GB of ram like me, you can't really notice a difference.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Okay I take it back. I don't care for Chrome at all. I had 10 Chrome.exe processes in my task manager.

There's a good reason for that.

If Firefox crashes or hangs, you're stuck.

If Chrome does it, only that one tab has a problem. The other tabs are safe.

Okay so maybe Firefox does take more memory than Chrome, but when you have 8GB of ram like me, you can't really notice a difference.

Good lord! What on earth are you doing with all that RAM? Running Win7 in a VM?

This thread has made me want to download Chrome.

You should! If you spend some time getting used to it, you'll wonder what you ever saw in Firefox.

EDIT:

One of the many interesting things you can do with statcounter is show daily stats; this lets one see which broswers and OSs are being forced on people at work, since one can see the big rises and falls in market share at the weekend.

As expected, XP and IE do badly at weekends, whereas Win7 and Chrome do well (Firefox's market share doesn't change as much, which suggests that it is used by some businesses, but Chrome isn't).

It would seem that Windows 7 has already overtaken XP in Japan when it comes to home use (you may need to F5 this page).

The US shows an even bigger gap between home and work use.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-11 02:58:04 by Kudistos Megistos »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
i personally love firefox, though i'm thinking of switching back to an older version, FF 4 is just completely filled with bugs, falls attempts to update, etc.

i have a pretty strong love for the addons though, especially the addon called "Stylish"

but hey, i got chrome on my laptop too when i wanna do some video watchin.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Chrome also has an extension called Stylish.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I havent had a single problem with fox...

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
I havent had a single problem with fox...

I never have either, and I love my add-ons :D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
rekonq FTW!

Wait, do people actually use those Konqueror browsers?

I thought they just came preinstalled on most distros because of something to do with FOSSfaggotry.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
if your using chrome you are..... rekonq and chrome share a large code base.