Author Topic: Kernel.bin help  (Read 2515 times)

ARMs

• View Profile
Kernel.bin help
« on: 2006-07-08 14:52:30 »
I have little knowledge of programming but i want to learn how to edit Kernel.bin.  I been search on this site for ways to edit kernel.bin and found some programs like gunzip, gzip, and FF7 bin extractor.  I'm running windows XP, and gunzip and gzip wont open up.  And ff7 bin extractor isn't working right. 

Can someone explain to me or link me to a method of uncompressing the kernel.bin file so that i can edit it using a Hex Editor?

lasyan3 if your out there please tell me how to use your program.  When i select Kernel.bin and click on the "Dispatch the file"  botton I don't see any files produced but the "Recreate the file" button is available.  When I click on that it gives me an the fallowing error "Error n^-2 ff7dec!".

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Kernel.bin help
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-08 22:38:34 »
The kernel.bin archive is a bunch of gziped files catenated togeather with special headers. Normal zip programs see the special headers and don't see the gzips inside and fail. Also, when you edit a file in kernel.bin, you have to decompress just that file, edit it, compress it again, and place it back in sequence with a new header for that secton

Here's a dicription of the format,
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Kernel/Low_level_libraries#BIN-GZIP_Type_Archives

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-09 06:54:57 »
Thankyou very much for replaying.  Ok I spent hours at a time figuring this out since its still relitively new to me and i got it to decompress but now i'm running into compression problems.  When I recompress the file to put it back in Kernel.bin  the Data size is always too big from the original even if i don't edit anything from the original. 

What program can i use to compress it.  I was using gzip96.exe for these experiments.   Thanks again for the Help.

Can you explain to me how to place the file back in sequence with a new header?  I am so lost in that area.  If i have to create a new haeder how would i go about doing this.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-09 12:09:01 by ARMs7777 »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-10 01:14:53 »
Hate to say this, but you will most likely have to write a program to do this....