Author Topic: My problems and what I did to fix them (for others)  (Read 9368 times)

hordequester

• View Profile
Here's a list of everything I had trouble with in 7th Heaven on Steam 2013 version and what I did to fix each. Just for people that may run into similar issues.

1. Multiple errors during FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe -
Moved game to shorter directory depth (ie from F:\files\games\storage\etc\etc\Final Fantasy VII to F:\Games\FF7) also needs to be run as admin

2. Registration error during 7th Heaven first time launch on registering subscriptions -
Deleted data in %APPDATA%\7thWorkshop\ folder then granted Admin privileges to 7thheaven.exe (right-click run as admin) eventually just Right-click->properties->compatibility->Run as admin perma change as there are other times it needs it.

3. Subscriptions not downloading -
Copy-paste on the main page's url listed for subscriptions doesn't work right in some browsers and is wrapped to another line.. the full thing is:
iros://Url/http$pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dDBkYkDu
also be sure to change the double music line to music and direct like directions. Almost skipped this because it had two entries.

4. Graphics run off screen or are cut off no matter what resolution is chosen -
Find your ff7.exe and right-click->properties->compatibility->Disable display scaling on High DPI. For some reason, the client takes your resolution (regardless of settings) and multiplies it by your scaling in some weird fashion screwing up all the graphics.

5. Downloads never finish or error out
This was the second most annoying issue aside from DPI. Easiest thing I found to fix it is to simple start a download and if the kb/s or bar doesn't change after a few seconds then right-click->Cancel on it (in the download window). This will cause it to immediately cycle and try again. I had to do this at least once per file after a few files. Never download more than one thing as it can cause an out of memory error when the thing fails a download and repeat-cycles due to it adding the error in the status box in the main window constantly without clearing out old messages..eventually crashing at max limit. There's also a manual download option if you get stuck.. you open up http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dDBkYkDu and find the google drive url id to the file you want and plug it into the end of this url https://drive.google.com/file/d/ then download the file to 7th Heaven and replace the broken download that's already in there (in FF7 Folder it'll be prefixed with a GUID).

6. Crash right after cloud jumps off the train..no text windows
The menu overhaul in The Reunion - Beacause mod does not work at all..even when I did get it working..words were cut off and everything was screwy

7. Crash after New Game and before anything comes up
New Threat from Difficulty Mod does not play well with neither Cheats/Tweaks mod nor The Reunion mod. About the most you can get is the limit remover and run always on.

8. Crash before the game loads
Originally went back and forth on this and figured out that the Chibi movie reworks do not play well on my system. Switched the movie reworks to anything else then it worked fine. Also had a crash with voice overs from sound effects mod.

9. Heads and arms detached
New animations without new models = funky side effects. Don't do one without the other.

10. Crash at flashback well scene with Tifa and Cloud
I eventually had to remove all script mods and not use OpenGL update in order to passed this part. No idea why.

I'll add more if I run into any..though I'm about done with the game now so I don't think I will.

concatenate

• View Profile
Re: My problems and what I did to fix them (for others)
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-14 23:55:42 »
2. Registration error during 7th Heaven first time launch on registering subscriptions -
Deleted data in %APPDATA%\7thWorkshop\ folder then granted Admin privileges to 7thheaven.exe (right-click run as admin) eventually just Right-click->properties->compatibility->Run as admin perma change as there are other times it needs it.

Good call. This should help quite a few people out as many issues can stem from the program running without admin privileges.

This was the second most annoying issue aside from DPI. Easiest thing I found to fix it is to simple start a download and if the kb/s or bar doesn't change after a few seconds then right-click->Cancel on it (in the download window). This will cause it to immediately cycle and try again. I had to do this at least once per file after a few files. Never download more than one thing as it can cause an out of memory error when the thing fails a download and repeat-cycles due to it adding the error in the status box in the main window constantly without clearing out old messages..eventually crashing at max limit. There's also a manual download option if you get stuck.. you open up http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dDBkYkDu and find the google drive url id to the file you want and plug it into the end of this url https://drive.google.com/file/d/ then download the file to 7th Heaven and replace the broken download that's already in there (in FF7 Folder it'll be prefixed with a GUID).

I finally figured this one out a few days ago. I couldn't download large files (media - music and sound, field textures 1, media - movies) via the 7th heaven manager and went searching through files and trying different things to determine the full download link. My understanding is that if you do things this way 7th heaven will not be able to check for updates to file obtained through this method, so you will have to manually check for updates to those files. Its not a big issue, and in my opinion is much better than doing without some of the larger files that some people have issues downloading.

I eventually had to remove all script mods and not use OpenGL update in order to passed this part. No idea why.

Interesting. I wonder if this might be a load order issue? I hate for you to miss out on those mods.

I am also curious which OpenGL update you are referring to. As far as I can remember installation of 7th Heaven only involved a compatibility patch to FF VII and the installation of 7th Heaven itself followed by some configuration. If a second OpenGL driver (or a patch) was installed over top of what is provided through 7th Heaven that could be your issue.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-15 12:09:12 »

The menu overhaul in The Reunion - Beacause mod does not work at all..even when I did get it working..words were cut off and everything was screwy

New Threat from Difficulty Mod does not play well with neither Cheats/Tweaks mod nor The Reunion mod. About the most you can get is the limit remover and run always on.

New animations without new models = funky side effects. Don't do one without the other.

5. Doing this will not only prevent you from getting any future update messages, but it will also break the compatibility feature built into 7H. What this features does is enables/disables other mods based on compatibility issues whenever a mod is enabled/disabled. For example, whenever New Threat is enabled, Beacause will be automatically disabled and locked. A message will be given that it happened, that way if the user wants to unlock Beacause, they know that New Threat has to be disabled to do so.

6. Do you have Workshop -> Settings -> FF7 EXE set to use ff7_mo.exe?

7. This might relate to #5 if you ended up downloading them using that workaround. New Threat can work with Menu Overhaul, but it will never work with Beacause (which gets disabled and locked when NT is enabled). If you downloaded them with the workaround method, then the compatibility feature breaks.

9. I've never tested that before because well...everyone plays with new models lol. I will have to add a compatibility feature to disable the No Change option for Field Models whenever the Animation mods are enabled. This will only be added if I can duplicate the issue though.

concatenate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-09-16 19:49:41 »
it will also break the compatibility feature built into 7H.

I didn't realize this. So manual downloading and installing is not a great option. It is just by sheer luck then that my setup works all things being considered. There were several mods that would not download for me via the manager (all of them being rather large), but that I had no issue downloading directly.

Its too bad there isn't a manual install option within 7th Heaven. Its a great tool, but lacks a few features seen in mod managers for other games (mainly thinking of Mod Organizer for Skyrim et al).

I really like the talk going on over here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17142.msg243852;topicseen#new  A manager like 7th Heaven, but open to the input of multiple coders with readily viewable source code somewhere like GitHub sounds like a great idea. It would hopefully prevent the situation the community currently finds itself in with 7th Heaven.

Thanathan82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-02-16 09:59:30 »
I have a Problem with  Menu Overhaul. The German text "Ausrüsten" for example is over the right ran in the Menue. Is there a fix?

kelvintkw87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-02-21 10:08:44 »
Here's a list of everything I had trouble with in 7th Heaven on Steam 2013 version and what I did to fix each. Just for people that may run into similar issues.

1. Multiple errors during FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe -
Moved game to shorter directory depth (ie from F:\files\games\storage\etc\etc\Final Fantasy VII to F:\Games\FF7) also needs to be run as admin

3. Subscriptions not downloading -
Copy-paste on the main page's url listed for subscriptions doesn't work right in some browsers and is wrapped to another line.. the full thing is:
iros://Url/http$pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dDBkYkDu
also be sure to change the double music line to music and direct like directions. Almost skipped this because it had two entries.

4. Graphics run off screen or are cut off no matter what resolution is chosen -
Find your ff7.exe and right-click->properties->compatibility->Disable display scaling on High DPI. For some reason, the client takes your resolution (regardless of settings) and multiplies it by your scaling in some weird fashion screwing up all the graphics.

8. Crash before the game loads
Originally went back and forth on this and figured out that the Chibi movie reworks do not play well on my system. Switched the movie reworks to anything else then it worked fine. Also had a crash with voice overs from sound effects mod.

I'll add more if I run into any..though I'm about done with the game now so I don't think I will.

I just created an account to say thank you! Thanks for helping, these should definitely be added to the FAQ, no?

Topken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2018-02-26 18:51:01 »
#8 doesn't fix my crashing before game loads. So these aren't applicable to everyone.