Author Topic: FF8.exe has encountered an error...  (Read 12714 times)

Claude

• View Profile
FF8.exe has encountered an error...
« on: 2006-02-20 17:37:34 »
http://img446.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ff88nx.jpg

Arghhh....

At that point of the game i get an error: FF8.exe has encountered an error bla bla bla, i tried to set my resolution to 320xsomething, but it's no use, i also tried to set video quality to low, but.. no use.

Comp:

Amd Athlon 3200+
1024DDR Ram
GeForce6200AX 256MB
DirectX 9.0C
Newest drivers from nvidia.com

I tried with 1.2 patch/GeForce patch, but no use.

Someone said something about downgrading DirectX, would that really help? Should i roll back with my drivers? Help?

Winter

« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-20 17:57:50 »
Did you try to set the graphic mode to 'Software Renderer' or 'D3D'?

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-20 18:56:22 »
Quote from: Winter
Did you try to set the graphic mode to 'Software Renderer' or 'D3D'?

Software Renderer, because if i set graphic mode to D3D i get alot of texture glitches.

Winter

« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-20 19:05:20 »
Then try to use D3D mode just for a moment and see the results, if it goes well then just turn back to Software Renderer.

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-02-20 19:49:14 »
Then try to use D3D mode just for a moment and see the results, if it goes well then just turn back to Software Renderer.

I tried, didn't work...

Here's the save file, can you play it for me? And possibly tell what happened during those videos and till you managed to get to savepoint? ;) Thanks.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i5qoon

Winter

« Reply #5 on: 2006-02-21 12:25:47 »
OK, I can do it for you. No problem :)

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-02-21 12:56:31 »
OK, I can do it for you. No problem :)

Yeesss, thank you! :)

Winter

« Reply #7 on: 2006-02-21 15:59:14 »
Here you go: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4njx25

Sorry it took so long, but I had to do some other things. If I can do anything, let me know.

Winter

« Reply #8 on: 2006-02-21 16:03:38 »
Oh, I forgot to say what happened.

I see you were playing during the Ragnarok movie, so Squall just get to Ragnarok with Rinoa and there is a savepoint, he doesn't say anything until you pass the door in Ragnarok :)

Have fun, the game is great, one of my best, anyway, where are you from?

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-02-21 16:08:54 »
Oh, I forgot to say what happened.

I see you were playing during the Ragnarok movie, so Squall just get to Ragnarok with Rinoa and there is a savepoint, he doesn't say anything until you pass the door in Ragnarok :)

Thank you 1000x ;]

And im from Finland.

--> off to play some ff8 (and hoping that i don't encounter any new problems)

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-02-21 18:00:26 »

Oooh, you made it? :D *sarcasm*

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-02-21 19:35:49 »
Quote from: chaoscontrol

Oooh, you made it? :D *sarcasm*

-_-

Started playing when i got the save game file, now little break and 8h straight again, im addicted -.-

Thx again Winter.

*Off-Topic*

:D?

I challenged Odin on CD4 and i was sure that he would cut me to pieces or something like that, i called "Counter-Rockets" so i would get triple --> protect/shell to everybody+meltdown to Odin, i just hitted him with physical attacks+few times with GF's and i won, he didn't hit me even ONCE, bug or something? Slow? :) Cool anyway.

BTW: SUCKS that you can't enter towns or gardens when on CD 4, does CD 4 only stand for fighting Ultimecia?

And, sorry for my bad english.

Winter

« Reply #12 on: 2006-02-22 14:59:26 »
Unfortunately, on the 4th CD you can only visit Ultimecia's castle and some special place (go for it - southwest of the map), you will find there Ultima Weapon and Bahamut, both are easy. In Ultimecia's castle you can also fight Omega Weapon, if you equip well then he's also easy, I beat him on the 2nd time - wasn't that hard, I wasn't satisfied :)

Odin doesn't move, he will cut you if the time goes to end, if you're high-leveled it's quite hard to make it :) (know it from autopsy :P). So, it's not a bug.

Your English isn't bad, anyway. We can communiate wthout any problems, I'm not English either, I'm just poor guy from Poland :-)

valmaton

Re: FF8.exe has encountered an error...
« Reply #13 on: 2009-04-21 23:35:11 »
I got this same error (ff8.exe error) today and since I got no one to play the "Ragnarok cutscene" for me..here's how I fix it and made it to the next save point.

If you checked the error report on "ff8.exe" It'll mention the "binkw32.dll" File. There's your culprit and most likely because you installed the "Final Fantasy VIII (PC) Patch v1.2" in the beginning.

Here's what you do (FYI: I've only tried this on XP, im sure i'd work on vista, but that's only my speculation)

-  Uninstall FF8
-  Reinstall FF8
DO NOT install Final Fantasy VIII (PC) Patch v1.2
-  Then go to FF8config and on Graphics:

Renderer: Direct3D Hardware Accelaration
                                          Display Resolution: 640 x 480 Full Resolution
                                          Movie Resolution: Low
                                          Performance: Check (Select) Everything BUT "Use High Res Fonts"

On Sounds: Uncheck Reberb (to improve performance)

Run FF8 and endure the 15 min story mode and Shazam! you can grab onto the ragnarok without getting any errors on your "FF8.exe".

My suggestion is that you use the "Final Fantasy 8 Launcher" created by Magixts > http://rapidshare.com/files/80132624/ff8_launcher_v1.31.rar This will fix your graphic issues with the 8 bit texture thingy and it'll let you use your video card to improve in-game graphics. (remember to check on the READ ME file to learn how to use the expert mode for improving graphics while in game)

If the above proves itself to be ineffective, there's a few options you can try:

Get someone who doesnt get the error, to play the ragnarok cutscene for you, on his computer and then send you the saved file after the scene.

Also, you can always download the spanish version of Final Fantasy 8 (install cd and cd3 for this particular error) and play through the scene without getting the "ff8.exe error".  I don't know why but somehow the spanish version does not contain that error.

If you're wandering how I know? it's because I'm from South America and I played up to the CD 4 of the Spanish PC version without any issues or .exe errors. Although I decided not to finish the Spanish version, and started all over again on the English version, cause those damn translators for the spanish version changed the names of limit breaks, locations, story facts, etc for no reason whatsoever eg: they changed squall's ultimate limit break name aka "Lion Heart" for "Summum" I mean what the f*** is that?.... anyway good luck to you ff8 junkies!

Btw, Feel free to repost this on different forums, cause I'm sure there's someone else out there who needs a hand on this great game!

Contact mail: [email protected]
« Last Edit: 2009-04-21 23:45:56 by valmaton »

Terid__K

« Reply #14 on: 2009-04-22 13:14:35 »
-  DO NOT install Final Fantasy VIII (PC) Patch v1.2

Don't listen to this guy. The 1.2 patch is absolutely necessary to avoid save game corruption (always crashing in the same place), and some random crashes. The movie crashes have nothing to do with the 1.2 patch, it's more than likely a corrupted movie file on your CD.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-04-23 01:15:02 »
He also necroposted, the fool!