Author Topic: [FF8-PC/Steam] Tonberry Master List - FF8 Mods Progress  (Read 247284 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Tonberry Mods Master List

This is a post devoted to the current progress of completely modding FF8's graphics with Tonberry Mods!
This is what's currently out there, what we're currently working on, and what needs to get done.

We hope this inspires other modders to get involved in FF8!
For a very thorough guide on how to make your own FF8 mods using Tonberry, FOLLOW THIS LINK!

For those that need it: Here's Tonberry: Enhanced

Special Thanks:
Omzy, Shunsq, JeMaCheHi, Mavirick, sl1982, FatedCourage, Mortael, Devina, Yagami Light, Zeeber, Crestian, Maki, DLPB, Rufoos, and Qualcuno.

Many of these mods are included in the:
Lunatic Pandora Mod Installer

(for a small donation to the modding community)

================
Current Completed Mods
================

SeeD Reborn by MCINDUS
Title Screen, Game Menus, Character/GF Avatars, Text, Icons, Magazines, Controller Buttons
To be done:
Intro Sequence*, Minor Tutorial Screens - "Theme Packs"

Controller Buttons by MCINDUS (SeeD Reborn Dependent)
Replaces the B1, B2, B3, etc. In-Game Controller buttons with PSX/Xbox360 buttons.

HorizonPack by MCINDUS
World Terrain, World Maps, Towns/Cities, Roads, Sky, World Effects, World Objects, Lunatic Pandora, Vehicles
Balamb Vehicle and Ragnarok Replacement (Crestian)

To be done:
Cities/Towns would look great if someone did some custom re-creations...

Project Eden by Omzy
Field Backgrounds
To be done:
Fixes to certain textures that produce "black bars" and some tranparencies.  Also needs some hash fixes. [Project AngelWing's hashmap is better]

Project Angelwing by FatedCourage
Gigapixel (or Waifu) Upscaled Field Backgrounds - has more 'smoothing' and less noise than Eden.  Choose one or the other, but not both. 
I suggest using AngelWing's hashmap and a mix of both mods files for optimal viewing.
Anyone who wants to try their hand at making custom backgrounds should contact myself or FatedCourage

BattleField Pack 1/3 Upscaled by MCINDUS, 2/3 Waifu2x'd by FatedCourage
Battlefield Backgrounds (Complete)
Full Replacements include - Balamb Plains, Green Forest (MCINDUS) Training Center (Zeeber), Comm Tower 2F (Shunsq)
To be done:
The Waifu upscales are great for many areas, but for outdoors areas, the 'lines' it creates are bad.  We need some help making these better.
Some animations don't currently work.
Also, we need help with the full replacements!  If you are an artist, please contribute!

Tripod by MCINDUS
Triple Triad Card Game - Cards, Game Text, Icons, Game Board, Backgrounds, Sprite Animations
To be done:
Fix for 'You Lose' transparency, Implement better borders, Finish foreign versions

Rebirth Flame by FatedCourage, Magochocobo, Devina, Mortael, Yagami Light, Crestian
Player Characters - Mago or Devina replacements with Weapons, SeeD Uniforms, Low/High Poly, Alternate Versions, etc.
To be done:
Minor character fixes

Project Hellfire by MCINDUS
GF Summons (Complete) - Replacements and Upscales
Replacements Include - Ifrit, Shiva, Quezacotl, Brothers, Siren, Leviathan, Carbuncle, Cactuar
To be done:
Some Waifu2x upscaled lines look better than the current mods, so the plan is to combine some parts of future Waifu upscales with the current ones.

Apocalypse by FatedCourage
All Bosses given a meticulous Waifu2x treatment
To be done:
Full Boss -replacement- textures would be nice!!!  If every artist out there did one each, we would have a pack in no time!

Lunar Cry by MCINDUS
All Enemies Upscaled (Complete)
To be done:
Hashing fixes and custom enemy textures!  Anyone want to try their hand?

====================
Additional Mods (HIGHLY RECCOMENDED)

Non-Tonberry dependent, but work incredibly well along with it! Some mods were created with these in mind.

FF8 UV Fix Patcher by Maki (Easy Patch by MCINDUS)
This mod fixes the bad UV's in the main overworld (WORKS BEST WITH HORIZONPACK)

FF8 GeDoSaTo Config by MCINDUS
Ultra Resolutions (forced downsampling), Anti-Aliasing, AO, DoF, and Post Processing injection!  It even has a version of SweetFX you can use with Tonberry!
If you enable GeDoSaTo, you no longer have to turn off the Steam Overlay!

Magic Upscale (Waifu2x) by MCINDUS and FatedCourage
Attack, Heal/Buff, Status Effect Magics; Magic effects
To be done:
Upscaling and hashing/hash fixes underway.

NPC Upscale by MCINDUS, FatedCourage, and ?
NPC Upscales
To be done:
NPCs mostly upscaled.  This is proving to be a hashing beast.  Also missing a few NPCs currently.  Any help would be lovely!

GF Animations by MCINDUS
TBD - This is a HUGE project - and may have issues with animations.
Only two or three test animation sets have been worked on.

Limit Breaks
TBD - Need someone to find textures, create hashes and upscale
Nothing currently completed.

Battle Effects
TBD - This is a HUGE project (All enemy and Player damage effects)
Nothing currently completed.

====================
All Current Hashmaps
====================

If you see anything up there that you'd like to help out with, please comment below!
Also - feel free to make your own versions of the current mods!  The mods that exist can share hashmaps, so you just need to replace the textures!!
« Last Edit: 2020-07-01 22:14:53 by Mcindus »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Tonberry Master List - FF8 Mods Progress
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-24 13:11:07 »
This is excellent work. Stickied :)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-24 14:37:22 »
Nice McIndus! I'm looking forward for a future installer, or better a complete SE future remake . I believe nothing is impossible for SE anymore, since they are remaking and have already remade so many titles. But as far as the modding community is concerned, I'm definitely looking forward for an installer someday... :)

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-24 22:22:06 »
Looking forward to more ff8 projects!

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-25 07:32:27 »
After the magic mod is complete, I'll be working on a basic installer

Vaake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-01-12 04:38:06 »
Made an account just for this thread to express my thanks for putting all the graphical mods in one place, so thank you!  8)

Hopefully I'll be able to lend my hand at modding one of these days, starting with a full hi-quality reimagined soundtrack.

oraclex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-01-14 15:02:39 »
After the magic mod is complete, I'll be working on a basic installer
Would love to see an installer, like 7th heaven.
Be waiting for that until Ill give FFVIII another go.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #7 on: 2017-01-14 21:25:47 »
Would love to see an installer, like 7th heaven.
Be waiting for that until Ill give FFVIII another go.

I can't do something as involved as 7th heaven :(  I don't know who to ask for help in that regard, honestly.

I would love to be able to give people the option to enable only the mods they want, the languages they want, and the 'versions' of the mods (like which controller icons to use, font options, etc.)
But that seems to be a long way off.

First, I'm only going to be able to create an installer that drops files and folders into (hopefully) the correct locations for the users.  You will still have to update each mod individually whenever a new one comes out... but at least you'll be able to install everything in one go with my first attempt.  Sadly, it might be a few months out, as I have been hired as an Environmental/Texture Artist and 3d World Builder for an upcoming MMORPG.

Fendera

• Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2017-02-22 23:31:48 »
you guys are great!

Mortael

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-03-08 00:21:57 »
I would just love to say a big thank you for crediting me in this project and I would very much love to continue to be a part of it. Let's keep up the good work!

ht91pebb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2017-04-14 04:42:09 »
hi, what the progress on the npc hashing so far? I start up on finding them so far up to Timber, lmk if I can help with some city, just some zone have same npc but differ hash code, repeatly zone in and out

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2017-04-18 06:38:19 »
I would just love to say a big thank you for crediting me in this project and I would very much love to continue to be a part of it. Let's keep up the good work!

Would love to have more helping hands on these projects. It can get tiring between just Mcindus and I. So if you ever want to jump in and help out, be our guest. :D

hi, what the progress on the npc hashing so far? I start up on finding them so far up to Timber, lmk if I can help with some city, just some zone have same npc but differ hash code, repeatly zone in and out

I believe Mcindus and I have only gotten hashes in Balamb Garden. Mcindus might've gotten more from other areas, but I can't remember. :P Getting every hash has proven to be a big challenge. So we'd appreciate the help. :) We might go with an objmap and hashmap combination, but that remains to be seen.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #12 on: 2017-04-19 01:44:21 »
Would love to have more helping hands on these projects. It can get tiring between just Mcindus and I. So if you ever want to jump in and help out, be our guest. :D

I believe Mcindus and I have only gotten hashes in Balamb Garden. Mcindus might've gotten more from other areas, but I can't remember. :P Getting every hash has proven to be a big challenge. So we'd appreciate the help. :) We might go with an objmap and hashmap combination, but that remains to be seen.

Honestly, I believe once we have all objmaps for the enemies, gfs, characters, and npcs that we won't have any more collisions and won't need the hashmaps.

Rodumas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2017-05-05 18:03:26 »
I just logged in today because I've rediscovered my Final Fantasy addiction. So FFVIII was my favorite game back in the day ( I'd only played the first two up till then), but it wasn't until a week and a half ago that I found out you can play these games on PC now. I know of the various remasters so I've started playing the games backwards from 15 on down. I was never a console person. I played FF mostly and then left the damn thing alone until the dust snuggled into every nook and cranny.

But not only did I rediscover the games for my personal nostalgic enjoyment, I discovered you guys. And while I'm not a stranger to modding thanks to the Mass Effect Trilogy, what you guys have managed to pull out of VIII is nothing short of astonishing. I mean yes it's not a XV, but it very well is like playing a new game since, as there isn't much talking going on, the visuals are what stand out! Keep up the great work guys! Now if only we could get some backgrounds into IX....just kidding! ;D .......kinda lol :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 2017-05-05 18:05:11 by Rodumas »

Lunareste

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2017-07-27 19:07:35 »
Quick question, Mcindus. Is there a way to edit the menu color in FF8?

Have you considered making a Discord for the modding community to collaborate in?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #15 on: 2017-07-27 21:53:19 »
Quick question, Mcindus. Is there a way to edit the menu color in FF8?

Have you considered making a Discord for the modding community to collaborate in?

It's actually quite easy to edit the menu gradient in any art/painting program.  First, you need SeeDReborn - then you can open the iconfl00_14.png and iconfl01_14.png images and edit the menu gradient color.  I would recommend 'colorizing' the gradients using the 'hue' settings in photoshop.  Just make sure you use the exact same color edits in both files.

Having a discord would be awesome, but I'm not sure how active it would actually be... lol.

Lunareste

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2017-07-28 02:02:07 »
Thank you! I remember us talking about this about 3 or 4 years ago, but time and age =/

I have a couple other questions if you don't mind.Is it possible to make the dialogue boxes transparent in game? Also, could we change the background black image of the menu?

I'd join the discord if you made it! Mostly because I would like to LEARN about how to edit the game. Thank you for the help as always!

Here's how it came out: http://imgur.com/a/OMWMP
« Last Edit: 2017-07-28 02:59:09 by Lunareste »

ff7maniac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2017-08-03 20:55:33 »
It is suitable with the original version of year 2000 all it is mods?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2017-08-03 21:30:42 »
No, it relies on the directx9 renderer from the Steam version.

ff7maniac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2017-08-04 18:56:10 »
My original version is useless then :(

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #20 on: 2017-08-07 00:20:52 »
My original version is useless then :(

Aali's driver doesn't allow for any mod but SeeD -- so kind of.  Until there is a way to convert the old PC version to the new PC version (which i doubt will ever happen), there will be no way to use the mods on the 'old' version of FF8.

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2017-09-16 18:58:54 »
Should add zwuw HD FMV replacement pack too.

levantine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2017-10-02 18:04:42 »
Hi, i'm playing with the fr version, how can i instal the "FF8 UV Fix Patcher by Maki"  and keep my fr launcher please?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #23 on: 2017-10-02 21:59:27 »
Hi, i'm playing with the fr version, how can i instal the "FF8 UV Fix Patcher by Maki"  and keep my fr launcher please?

I don't know if the UV fix will work with any other languages other than English.  I've asked maki for the Hext codes, because every language has different memory locations... you should post a comment on his UV patcher thread.

celtichonor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2017-10-06 05:08:38 »
Hi! I just registered to say that your work is awesome I saw your work via youtube!!
Well, that isn't all. I have a doubt about the LunarCry, do i have to rename ''en'' to my language (In my case es or sp i guess) or it will work anyways? I installed Lunatic pandora (The exe that does all the work for you) but my version of steam has Spanish preselected and it didnt work properly, so...  well I decided to install the mods on my own :3! Thankyou, and sorry if this isn't the proper thread to post this!
In other, and if this isnt buzzing too much >-<!! I would like to know if there is some new mods about to be released o-o so that I can wait to play FF8 (even tought am dying to play ;-; it)
Thankyou another time and byeby!!!