Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836923 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.2)
« Reply #625 on: 2015-01-06 01:03:48 »
Alright, well if you need info about NT files I'll help where I can. I'm in the middle of getting 1.3 up and running so things are a bit up in the air at the moment.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: 2015-01-06 01:17:01 »
I feel you bro no worries.  There is no telling when i'll get around to it myself.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: 2015-01-08 01:16:51 »
Coin targets all allies and enemies. Was testing it out and nuked myself pretty handily. Was this intentional?

EDIT: Cool, thanks for the clarification. I was confused since the targeting never indicated it would hit the party and I wasn't sure if the flavor text meant you wanted to weaken the ability overall or ensure the damage was met both ways.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-08 01:37:25 by Bowser9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: 2015-01-08 01:22:13 »
You get what you pay for.

RedManMark86

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: 2015-01-09 09:55:13 »
Sega Chief I have just realised that you gave me thanks on your front page and I am actually touched, thanks man but honestly this is such a great mod I want to get as many people playing it as possible :)!

Progressed quite far in your mod now, at the keystone bit and now no fights will give me experience because Cloud has hit level 40 :( At what point will I start gaining experience again?

Out of interest when you fight Reno and Rude when they paralyse you down to two people and if you kill them at the same time are you meant to get no drops? I literally spent about 20 times reloading and killing them to always get nothing but the steals.

Also is Lost Number meant to just woosh me away like a speck of dust when i kill it or is it possible to actually kill it?

And as always how is 1.3 coming along? Also any idea when you will update your changes because it is really hard for me to tell when I'm missing a good item or not as I'm following the normal guide whilst playing this to track the changes :)

P.S. Loved the fight outside the Shinra Mansion, was quite funny :P

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: 2015-01-09 13:18:36 »
Hey bud, I noticed you'd been helping people out with 7H installations and mod compatibility and I appreciated the assistance. I don't usually run the game with mods like that installed so someone lending a hand with that is always appreciated.

Certain Disc 2 bosses give EXP past Lv.40 (and these can be re-fought on Disc 3 whenever you want), but every Extra Battle, Lv.4 Limit boss, and other additional boss will give EXP past Lv.40. This is being revised for 1.3, where later Disc 2 enemies will be raised up to give EXP up to Lv.50 instead. The majority of players finish below Lv.50 so I think that might be a better cap to set. I'm also going to set Crater enemies to give EXP up to Lv.60.

Regarding the Turks, and enemies in general, remember that if you steal an item from an enemy, they will no longer be able to drop an item.

Lost Number is a remnant from older versions where the transformation trigger was a lot more complicated. I kept it that way basically because it was a sneaky counter to poison strategies that are usually employed against Lost Number to prevent him transforming...except someone got around it by hitting him while he was close to death from poison, triggering the transform, and then finishing him off on the next attack. I've got a replacement for the AI sorted out, should be quite interesting.

But speaking of 1.3, it's slowly coming together but the keyword there is slowly. There's a lot of AI kinks to iron out and I also need to do a test playthrough to get save files and unearth any glitches/problems which'll take me a couple of days. There'll be a new ReadMe and Changes list released with 1.3, to replace the not so great current documents. I've also re-organised Beginner's Hall & Respectable Inn for useful tutorials and what-not, just in case people drop in on it.

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 2015-01-09 18:50:43 »
Hey Sega Chief I absolutely love this mod it turned a boring month into good fun. I have a couple questions and concerns I was hoping you'd be able to provide some insight on.

Enemy Skill Locations
Some things have changed around completely which is fine but I'm totally lost sometimes. I managed to snag Beta in Temple but I haven't been able to find Aqualung (a monster that normally spawns at the wutai mountain area has it according to battle square but I can't find this monster anywhere) Meanwhile I couldn't get Godo to use Trine but got it from some dogs in return to Midgar tunnels. Manipulated Beach Plugs i try to have them use Big Guard on me but it doesn't take either.

Lack of a Readme? Its been being updated for a while I guess it's not ready yet but some stuff seriously confused me before I started watching let's plays of the mod.

Missing Materia
I am a complete FF7 rookie in that I had never heard of or realized backrow sadness strats or knew of the w-item glitch or explosively powerful endgame materia combos so pardon if Im wondering where all my fun toys are.

Made it to bottom of crater, have only done Cid's optional boss. Missing the following not counting materia caves (I know mega all is in materia cave where hp-mp should be)
Contain Full Cure Shield Ultima
Double Cut, W-Magic, W-Summon, W-Item,
Only have found 1 Enemy Skill
Added Cut, Counter, Final Attack, Long Range
Speed Plus, HP Plus, Luck Plus, Magic Plus

Specifically the only ones I care about are Contain and Double Cut

Difficulty of Turks: You only get 1 added effect materia to slot a mystify into and it takes a damn long time to level up, why so much confusion and berserk?

Endgame XP Issues: you stop gaining XP at certain intervals if one character in the party caps out so it makes swapping them around to hit the cap difficult, esp since you cant change your party leader or use PHS at the bottom of the northern crater (It forces you back to cloud if you try to move to party select area)

Why does the endgame stuff seem so hard? I'm level 50 have 3000 HP And do 1000 physical attacks and 3000 with aeris using Comet (9999 with a couple summons sometimes), Why are all the lets plays abusing planet protector and coin, I wasn't able to really get either until disc2 and even then you (rightfully) decided to nerf coin, but you made it so you had to use aeries to use it which is kind of odd, can you try to de incentive planet protector?

King Bub' and his minions are an extremely weird fight I cannot get past for the life of me, I understand the lucky 7's but I dont understand the random healing and invulnerability, why don't they glow yellow when peerless? Is there a trick I'm missing to this?

Also a strange bug best I can explain it is, Tifa + Fury Brand + Level 3 Limit + Battle Square Special battle = Zero Limit guage with infinitely avaialable limit breaks.
Coin and Planet Protector

PS I had to hack in ribbons after spending a couple hours wiping to the final turk fight, did you change ribbon so you cant get regen/haste or is that vanilla

Sorry for the long post. thanks!

Edit: Thank you for all of the tongue in cheek humor, esp. for all the chests and dummied out items and the commandos. I nearly screamed when I did the Jenova WAR Fight also. Top Notch!
« Last Edit: 2015-01-09 18:53:14 by cicadian »

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: 2015-01-09 20:09:00 »
@RedManMark86 You rock. Keep it up.

@cicadian See below.
********SPOILERS**********

Enemy Skill Locations
Manipulated Beach Plugs i try to have them use Big Guard on me but it doesn't take either.

My memory is fuzzy on how I snagged Big Guard. If Manipulate doesn't work, try confusion or Reflect. This'll be easier for me to answer if you just say what E Skills you have.

Missing Materia
Contain Full Cure Shield Ultima
Double Cut, W-Magic, W-Summon, W-Item,
Only have found 1 Enemy Skill
Added Cut, Counter, Final Attack, Long Range
Speed Plus, HP Plus, Luck Plus, Magic Plus
Full Cure and Added Cut are found in the first few extra battles. Counterattack is found in the chocobo races.

Difficulty of Turks: You only get 1 added effect materia to slot a mystify into and it takes a damn long time to level up, why so much confusion and berserk?
Spam Resist or Vaccine if status ailments become an issue. Most fights that revolve around status immunities can be won with just that.

Why does the endgame stuff seem so hard? I'm level 50 have 3000 HP And do 1000 physical attacks and 3000 with aeris using Comet (9999 with a couple summons sometimes), Why are all the lets plays abusing planet protector and coin, I wasn't able to really get either until disc2 and even then you (rightfully) decided to nerf coin, but you made it so you had to use aeries to use it which is kind of odd, can you try to de incentive planet protector?
You can get by without doing that. You just need to set up a good tank. Well, except against Zack. That needs a different strat. I'm impressed with Planet Protector + Coin, though. I knew that might be the issue, but I just couldn't get the time to grind for that strat (her limit requirements are pretty high and work + AGDQ2015 doesn't leave me with much time). Coin, as is, should only be used if you're low on MP, facing a lot of enemies, and need a 1000 damage spread. Conceivably, you could also trigger Counter Magic Cure or Final Attack Life, but that's still more grinding. Otherwise, yeah, you'd need to abuse that.

King Bub' and his minions are an extremely weird fight I cannot get past for the life of me, I understand the lucky 7's but I dont understand the random healing and invulnerability, why don't they glow yellow when peerless? Is there a trick I'm missing to this?
Certain textures and effects don't load due to the mods you put on. To beat King Bub', you may just want to bypass the minions like I did by throwing stuff at him till you win. 8 inch canon also works. Just make sure you slow the minions so you have a chance.
EDIT: Woops, turns out it's Shield, which has no visual cue.

Also a strange bug best I can explain it is, Tifa + Fury Brand + Level 3 Limit + Battle Square Special battle = Zero Limit guage with infinitely avaialable limit breaks.
Happens without Fury Brand. Also, Special Arena will crash if you activate Vincent's Chaos limit. Be warned.

PS I had to hack in ribbons after spending a couple hours wiping to the final turk fight, did you change ribbon so you cant get regen/haste or is that vanilla
You can just equip peace rings and casts Resist on the Turks. If you use Resist on yourself (which is what I assume Ribbon does now, since I don't have any Ribbons) you can bypass the lack of regen if you have a good healer, and haste if you equip +Dex armor/accessories (casting haste beforehand or equipping Sprint Shoes also works). The Turk fight is a battle of attrition that you're pretty much guaranteed to win if you do this.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-09 20:41:11 by Bowser9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: 2015-01-09 20:30:12 »
(Looks like I spent so long typing this that Bowser beat me to it :I)

Hi bud, glad you enjoyed the mod but apologies for causing some confusion during your playthrough. I did have a ReadMe at one point documenting some of the changes so people could pin-point the new locations for things faster but it wasn't very concise and it's likely out of date now (assuming it's still up, I think I took it down). Thing is, I can't update it properly until 1.3 of the mod is out as I'll be making lots of tweaks. That's currently in the works, but I still need time to finalise the update.

[Enemy Skills]
Beta, Aqualung, and Trine were a serious problem in that they're much stronger than Fire2, Ice2, etc. but can be obtained before or round about the time when these spells become available. To counter that without altering these Skills too much, I moved them to new enemies located in places where I felt they'd be most useful to give the player a boost to their magic arsenal while they work toward Fire3, etc.

Aqualung is with an enemy called Garuda on Da Chao, an area inside Wutai. These guys will use Aqualung after 4-5 of their turns have elapsed (make sure to have protection like Reflect, a Typhoon Ring, or MBarrier just in case).

Trine is supposed to be available from a new enemy called Thundercracker on Mt. Nibel (the path areas), but it looks like I've made a mistake and it doesn't currently use this Skill. This'll be fixed for 1.3.

Big Guard should be learned as normal, though. I'll have to investigate that one, sounds like a bug or an oversight on my part.

[Missing Materia]
First off, the enemies in the mod weren't specced with either Sadness or back-row strategies in mind; story bosses were tested while using Barrier and MBarrier. The idea was that the defensive set-ups usually adopted for hard-type mods wouldn't be necessary here, so that players could get inventive and try out different things. That being said, small tweaks may have knocked this out of balance a bit; I'm currently midway through a test-play of 1.3 to address any issues that have popped up due to these tweaks and further refine enemy strength, etc.

As for the missing Materia, most of these are all won from the Extra Battle in Battle Square. On Disc 2, when Cloud re-joins the party, two new NPCs will appear in the Gold Saucer's Battle Square. One of these NPCs (a male Gold Saucer attendant) has a menu of ten new bosses to fight, while the other (a security man in a navy uniform) gives the player Materia rewards depending on which of these bosses have been beaten:

Page 1
Barbariccia GT: Added Cut
Bomb King: Full Cure
Gil Turtle: Contain
Variablis: Shield
Love Buster: Ultima

Page 2
Mystery Tank: W-Summon
Abyss: W-Magic
Nyctalopian Dragon: Double-Cut
Tyrant: Command Counter
??????: W-Item

Final Attack is still won through the Special Battle, accessed through regular Battle Square. Special Battle becomes available when the player has reached the bottom of North Cave and returned (this sets the Game Moment to 1998, which I've used as a trigger to unlock certain end-game stuff). The attendant should trigger some dialogue about the Special Battle when you talk to her, and from then on you'll have the option to participate in Regular Battle or Special Battle. Note that it costs 10GP to fight in Special Battle.

Long Range, HP Plus, Speed Plus, Magic Plus, and Luck Plus are currently absent from the game, as are Sources. I'm planning to use these as pick-ups for New Game+ progression. There's also only one Enemy Skill Materia available in the entire game; this has proved to be a great balance for E. Skills against regular spell Materia so there's no plan to add more in the future.

[Turks & Berserk/Confusion]
A running theme with Turks fights is the use of Berserk and Confusion, usually with some other surprise up their sleeve. However, I've noticed recently that people are having trouble mustering status defence against Berserk and Confusion. My guess is that I've removed or changed an important Peace Ring drop or similar and this has had the knock-on effect of leaving players particularly exposed to these kinds of attacks. I'm planning to make at least one Peace Ring 'unmissable' so that it makes the Turks & Jenova WAR fights closer to their intended difficulty.

[EXP Caps]
I added a Lv.40 cap to the majority of regular enemies (where the actual cap is Lv.70) but this hasn't proved to be a popular idea. I think a problem is that the mod originally was supposed to gun for fast gameplay, and to take as much edge out of grinding as possible. What I'll do is set up North Cave as a very lucrative zone for getting EXP to hit Lv.60, then the remaining ten levels can come from the extra end-game bosses. I'll also lift that Lv.40 cap to Lv.50 across the board; I think that'll work out better.

[End-game difficulty]
I think this comes back to tweaks having a knock-on effect for other things, and is one of the reasons I'm currently doing a full test-play of 1.3 so that all the imbalances that have appeared can be corrected. I've also made enhancements to the majority of end-game bosses for 1.3, so that they're less RNG-based (attack patterns), have a greater variety of weaker attacks (to reduce spam of their stronger abilities), and stat tweaks.

King Bub is a weird fight, but it was recently changed from Peerless to Shield which (unfortunately) has no visual indicator. This was a quickfix to prevent a stalemate of Peerless, but I've since found a way to de-fang Peerless and make it susceptible to Debarrier and Dispel which is a game-changer. As for beating this guy, you should use Debarrier+All to get rid of Shield and then smack the Royal Guard with any attack that hits all targets to get rid of the 7777's effect. Alternatively, you could heal them first (to remove 7777's) and then use Debarrier+All to start attacking.

[Infinite Limits D:]
That sounds like a crazy bug; hopefully it's limited to Special Battle only. Not 100% sure I'd be able to fix it if that was the case (Battle Square is a bit...odd when there's three people fighting in it instead of just one) but I'm fine with it because it sounds awesome.

As for Ribbons, I took a leaf out of the Hardcore mod's book and set it up so that Ribbon prevent all statuses, including good ones. It always made me think twice before equipping it when playing the HC Mod.

Sorry for the long post. thanks!

Sorry for the long reply :p Thanks for the feedback, bud.

@Bowser, that's a pain that Vincent causes a crash in Special Battle with Chaos. If that's the case and I can't fix it then I might need to either re-spec Special Battle for a solo character or make some special work-around for it. I'd better test Vincent's Chaos with regular battle as well though, just in case.

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: 2015-01-09 21:06:22 »
ah thank you and bowser for the wonderful long and detailed posts, i feel a lot better about picking this mod back up this week now that i know where to go form here
sorry if my post was a little hard to read i was pretty tired, this girl's been doing too much AP grinding! I really have no complaints there's just too much fun to be had. keep it up and I look forward to 1.3

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: 2015-01-10 00:52:24 »
@cicadian NP. Good luck.

Taking a break from endgame. I wanted to throw out a few requests. These might not work out, though, especially since I have no clue what changes will be in v1.3 and what might be feasible given how time intensive it is to implement certain changes.

In no particular order:
  • Would it be possible to introduce an auto-regen accessory? Resources for tank builds have been fairly narrow and this strikes me as a way to free up some space for more aggressive materia combinations, similar to what the Protect Ring ends up doing. Think of it as a viable item in the case of enemies that ignore barriers.
  • Berserk sees a lot of use in this mod as a devastating negative status, but I'd like to see more ways to utilize it as a buff. Currently, the blood weapons function as the only source of Berserk abuse. Would it be possible to create accessories/weapons/items that offer benefits while berserk? Something as simple as defensive boosts while berserk would be interesting, like an armor that powers up while berserk. I recall FF6 Umaro having certain relics that could alter his attacks. If you go that far, specific E Skills, summons, or commands could be used at random kind of like Gau's rages.
  • Holy is uncommon as it is. It'd be nice, like in older FF games, to gain access to one or two Holy elemental weapons. I'm thinking of Lightbringer.
  • I'd like a merchant somewhere with the remaining tier 3 elemental damage items, since Fire Veil and Swift Bolt can be purchased at Wutai. Not gonna lie. I'm also looking for ways to recreate the effects of the FF8 mega potion and elemental absorption is one of them.

That's all I got. Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-10 01:08:35 by Bowser9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: 2015-01-10 01:24:19 »
Alright, let's see:

-) An auto-regen accessory is possible, but not easy to implement. I try to keep hard hacks out of the mod, or at the very least make them optional. That being said, I could maybe set something up through the character AI. It depends on what triggers I can get the game to recognize through the accessory's available equip effects (and which can't be triggered through other means).

-) I could add character AI that responds to Berserk. A risk is that the spell needs to be equipped before they can actually be used, but if these commands can be activated through AI without the need of Materia then a pseudo-'Rage' system would be feasible. I've an idea for getting the game to activate this Rage state only when a certain accessory is equipped, so this could work out...but only if spells can be used from AI without the need of Materia.

-) A Holy-element weapon would be handy, yeah. As far as spells go, I've replaced the Roulette Enemy Skill with a new one called 'Alpha' that's learned from the Alpha Zolom. It has a hefty base-power on it, and should be a decent end-game Holy spell along with Alexander. I'll see about adding an innately Holy-element weapon or two as well.

-) I could set up a modified shop but it would need to be used with the NT Mod's custom (and optional) .EXE (which is currently being tested and tweaked in a playthrough). I could set up an impromptu 'shop' that sells these items in a way similar to how you can buy GP at Gold Saucer from that dude; this way, the items can be acquired through shopping even without the .exe patch.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: 2015-01-10 01:35:26 »
Pretty sure AI doesn't care which materias are equipped. I saw somewhere that Sephiroth could use his magics without the Materia equipped. Don't remember where.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: 2015-01-10 01:42:06 »
That's great news if that's the case. An accessory that has the character spit out random attacks would be quite interesting, sort of like a Berserk but for magic and maybe enemy attacks. I'll experiment with it tomorrow after work; thanks for the info.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: 2015-01-10 02:05:00 »
I could set up an impromptu 'shop' that sells these items in a way similar to how you can buy GP at Gold Saucer from that dude; this way, the items can be acquired through shopping even without the .exe patch.

That would be excellent. I agree with trying to keep the .exe optional, so rock on.

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: 2015-01-10 16:23:59 »
Hey quick question about Gil Turtle, he casts something pretty nasty after he drains my mana, and magic hammer does 0mp damage to him, should I be going into this fight with no mana or try to dump it all before he drains it himself?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: 2015-01-10 16:56:01 »
Gil Turtle basically tries to steal your MP which allows him to cast his super-strong attacks. Keeping your MP low while blitzing his is the key to this one; Aeris has a weapon called Wizer Staff that can attack MP directly (but has a low base power). If you boost up her STR with things like a Gigas Armlet, Earth+Elemental (in the weapon), and a Champion Belt you could maybe take out his MP that way, and make use of Ghost Hands that can be obtained from the Rilfsak (flying leaf enemy) in the Ancient Forest through stealing.

Also, the Sleep status should work against Gil Turtle; that can slow him down immensely.

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: 2015-01-10 17:14:19 »
thanks for this, i just find it weird that he uses savings jar and takes only 27mp from me through the entire fight then can cause a market crash, i'm currently trying lucky pill + hero drink II + yellow wave and I'll try what you said if that doesn't work.

By the way, where can I get more Yellow Wave items? I don't like using one off items if I can't help it!
EDIT: Gil Turtle is causing a market crash after absorbing ZERO MP
« Last Edit: 2015-01-10 17:27:56 by cicadian »

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: 2015-01-10 19:55:27 »
@cicadian Ah, so you've hit the same problem as I have. You will have to abuse Sadness + Wall on your tank to survive KotR or make use of Shield/Gospel Spark. Follow up with Life + All. To make things easier, you can also take in Final Attack + Life, but that's your call.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-10 20:00:05 by Bowser9 »

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: 2015-01-10 20:12:49 »
I think it's a non issue maybe? I tried the MP damaging weapon Aeris has instead of magic hammer (which does 0 MP damage) and he couldnt do the market crash after trying to hoard savings. I think he must start with a base MP "savings" that is already above what I assume is uh... 250 MP to cast

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: 2015-01-10 21:59:36 »
Yeah, he starts with 999MP and he shouldn't be able to start using Market Crash until he's below 1/2HP.

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: 2015-01-10 22:46:06 »
last question hehe
Nyctalopian Dragon Meltdown is knocking out all 3 party members from combat, intended? What does Cyberdyne Ray do, sometimes it damages sometimes not but it never shows damage numbers?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 2015-01-10 23:34:21 »
Meltdown effectively ends the fight, to prevent it try hitting Nycta with the Slow status. This'll prompt him to use Reactor Cooldown which erases Slow but also ends the countdown. As for Cyberdyne, it is a bit erratic with the way it behaves but I like the animation too much to change it  :-X

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: 2015-01-11 22:22:09 »
Some bugs to report

Christopher and Gighee game soft locks in combat if you kill Gighee and let Christopher sit around too long, this may be in base game?

Tifa sidequest? With or without Tifa as party leader and after talking to New Threat crewman I have been to every screen in Nibelheim/Shinra Mansion/Mt. Nibel/Mt. Nibel Reactor and seen no bossfight or sidequest

Junon Leagues softlock: Cleared every encounter in Amateur Junon League with Tifa (party leader) Game was stuck at this screen after the victors of the last round (Kotch) Wave 2 were announced.

Probably not a bug but I haven't figured out the mechanics yet: Love buster casting perma-confusion (Spinning corpses lol) on party members and you can give them commands but they always use them on opposite targets (Ah! Can I target opposite for desired effect? Or is it a bug.)

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: 2015-01-11 22:25:18 »
Probably not a bug but I haven't figured out the mechanics yet: Love buster casting perma-confusion (Spinning corpses lol) on party members and you can give them commands but they always use them on opposite targets (Ah! Can I target opposite for desired effect? Or is it a bug.)
You need to survive without worrying about status immunity, so set up an elemental attack and absorb strat for safety. After that, equip your best equipment for damage and bum rush Love Buster with your strongest materia combinations or limit breaks. Blow everything. Mime your strongest stuff if you have to. Don't cast any buffs, just smash its face immediately. Hold nothing back.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-11 22:36:03 by Bowser9 »