Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Has Sold Over 11 Million Units Worldwide  (Read 3611 times)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:12:22 by dkma841 »

Luceid

• View Profile
Well yes and no...
It's a huge number for sure somewhere in Skyrim's heights.
But GTA V sold fu**ing 50 million copies.
Seems that most people have a bad taste for gaming :)

hian

• View Profile
To be fair, GTA5 is not a bad game, so I wouldn't say that people who bought it have poor taste.

That being said though, since FF7 is a PS1 game, and the vast majority of those sales were racked up during that era, it's in many ways just as impressive as GTA5 in its own right though, even if the sales aren't that great by contemporary standards.

1. The gaming public is much larger now than back then, meaning that multi-million number sales means a whole lot more in that context.

2. Gaming prices haven't changed all that much since the PS1 era (at least where I am from), whilst game production costs and inflation has sky-rocketed, meaning that percentage-wise, FF7might be the more successful game from an income perspective.

FF7 came out at a time when game development was less costly (off course, devs had less money to spend as well), when fans weren't as numerous, and in a new market where they (Squaresoft) didn't have the same reputation or reach they have today (much less what Rockstar has today).
It truly is an impressive feat.

The success of GTA5, being the next big thing from Rockstar after a long line of other successful products in the same franchise, with its reach through the internet and social media, and the increase of participation in gaming and gaming culture etc. isn't all that surprising or impressive really - the same way the movie-version of The Hobbit's success after Lord of the Rings, isn't all that surprising or impressive.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:11:06 by dkma841 »

hian

• View Profile
For a Japanese RPG game it sold well which was only on pc and psx and ps3 (psx version)
While GTA V much more mainstream and on all consoles 360, one, ps3, ps4, pc

For a Japanese rpg in the era it was released in, it sold extremely well. It's still the best selling FF to date.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
GTA has a broader demography. jRPG is niche.  I enjoy playing GTA and so do a load of thugs I knew once upon a time through my sister.  Would those same thugs want to play a game like FF7?  Of course not.  GTA has a broader appeal, and I don't just mean with thugs, I mean across the board.  There's something there for everyone - minigames, violence/sex/swearing, adventure, missions.  That's why it does well. 

Leave GTA exactly the same as it is but remove the thuggy aspects (like gangster aspects) and watch a huge slice of the audience disappear in a poof of smoke.  GTA can work with intelligent people and thick idiots and people who just want to doss about.  FF7 can't.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-21 15:27:41 by DLPB »