Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News  (Read 124582 times)

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2
« Reply #75 on: 2011-01-25 19:30:06 »
I've given X and XII a chance, but I've had to give up on them. When I heard about XIII-2 I almost wept, I wish they'd stop with all the obvious cash-ins and actually produce some decent games for once.

As heartbreaking as it is, the FF series is dead to me and has been for a long time now. Ah well, at least we all have the Squaresoft games to cherish forever <3

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2011-01-25 19:43:19 »
I've given X and XII a chance, but I've had to give up on them. When I heard about XIII-2 I almost wept, I wish they'd stop with all the obvious cash-ins and actually produce some decent games for once.

As heartbreaking as it is, the FF series is dead to me and has been for a long time now. Ah well, at least we all have the Squaresoft games to cherish forever <3

They won't... these cash ins continue to sell well.  Don't ask me how.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: 2011-01-25 22:01:36 »
Am I the only guy who liked X? Tidus wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw, but the core battle mechanic was very well done. CTB meant I could properly institute timing, and create strategies that exploited lulls in enemy offensives. Its status and element system was refined, and made important to every battle. Creatures were more memorable, and every character has an individual purpose - at least before the endgame.

Now, I hate sitting through the cutscenes as much as anyone, and I dislike how opaque Square made the 'lore' of Spira's world (this might be down to translation issues, though). But X became a PS2 Platinum for a reason.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2011-01-25 22:04:57 »
No, FFX is my 2nd favourite and for good reason.  The sheer amount of things there are to do (and I mean away from battles, like XII and XIII force you into doing endlessly), coupled with a decent story makes it so :)

FFX is a masterpiece.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2011-01-25 22:08:25 »
coupled with a decent story
Try again. FFX had particularly lacking character motivation, and conflicts that were drawn out simply because the characters were too stupid to deal with them early on.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2011-01-25 22:28:27 »
Nonsense.  The story was miles better than anything XII had.  Every character had a motivation and development, from Wakka's brother through to the old story of Jecht and Braska's journey years previous, told in the spheres.

You can't argue....well actually you can, but you are wrong. :P  FFX had a decent story with tons of character development and 1 of the greatest endings I have seen in games.  The game succeeded on an emotional level. 

I don't see how it is in question that FFX had a good story.  There are lots of themes that the game touches upon, far better than what has followed with FF-idonthaveastory XII and melodramatic excuse for graphics XIII.

Character motivation is 1 thing, character development and story is another.  The game succeeded in all 3, especially the latter 2.  The story was something I could believe and something I cared about. I have good taste and I know a good story when I see one  8)
« Last Edit: 2011-01-25 22:30:49 by DLPB »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #81 on: 2011-01-25 22:46:35 »
FFX had a decent story with tons of character development and 1 of the greatest endings I have seen in games.  The game succeeded on an emotional level. 

I don't see how it is in question that FFX had a good story.

I completely agree here.

To be honest, I think when they started messing with the traditional aspects of FF games, particularly the way battles work and the battle menu, SE took a massive risk.

FFX was an 'updated' (improved or not, it's your own opinion) version of previous FF games in the way it worked and played. They took what they already had and changed it slightly. Made sense, really. New console, new era.
XII on the other hand, was entirely and utterly different. Completely free 3D fields and a completely different battle system removed it's 'Final Fantasy' status altogether, I think.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2011-01-25 23:45:46 »
Nonsense.  The story was miles better than anything XII had.  Every character had a motivation and development, from Wakka's brother through to the old story of Jecht and Braska's journey years previous, told in the spheres.

You can't argue....well actually you can, but you are wrong. :P  FFX had a decent story with tons of character development and 1 of the greatest endings I have seen in games.  The game succeeded on an emotional level. 

I don't see how it is in question that FFX had a good story.  There are lots of themes that the game touches upon, far better than what has followed with FF-idonthaveastory XII and melodramatic excuse for graphics XIII.

Character motivation is 1 thing, character development and story is another.  The game succeeded in all 3, especially the latter 2.  The story was something I could believe and something I cared about. I have good taste and I know a good story when I see one  8)
I'm not debating XII and XIII. I know damn well they both had bad stories, and I fully agree that X was better than the two of them combined. However, I do not feel that X's story was good. Barely passable, maybe. Tidus seemed to be wandering around for the sake of being the player character, in spite of the fact that he did very little of any significance. Yuna did what needed to be done, though more for the sake of the plot than for personal reasons. Seymour's writing seemed like he was supposed to be insane, but his motives and actions mostly came across as stupid. The fact that he wasn't dead much earlier in the game suggests that none of the other characters were terribly intelligent either.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed FFX, but I simply do not think the story was one of its strong points by any means, and I sure as hell don't think the story is comparable to IV-IX (except maybe V).

edit: Regarding touching on lots of themes, I recognize that it did this, but I don't think it did it effectively. It sort of felt like much of it was just stuck in there for the sake of having it in, rather than making it a significant aspect of the story. For a comparison, look at Star Wars. There is some romantic tension between Han and Leia, but I don't think anybody would try and claim that romance was a major theme in the movie, and merely including it for the sake of including it doesn't add anything to the story. I feel that FFX was the same way with almost everything it did; even though it didn't necessarily do a bad job (see: Revenge of the Sith), it touched on themes in a way that wasn't really relevant, like the writers were just covering their bases. I'm not blaming them, and I certainly don't feel that including things for the sake of having them detracted from the story, but it didn't add to it either. At its core, there were only a few significant themes (good vs evil, internal struggle to determine/make the right choice, daddy issues) that really mattered, everything else was just kind of there.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-25 23:56:50 by Covarr »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #83 on: 2011-01-27 11:55:51 »
There is only so much opinion before you go into the territory of simply liking objectively bad things based on your subjective view. And yes. THAT is a bad thing. It makes YOU a bad person.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2011-01-30 21:32:09 »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2011-01-30 22:43:48 »

Funny it seems no matter who you ask every order of what their favorite Final Fantasy ranges and is never the same...

Think why there are so many different opinions? is because people relate to characters differently, as well as perceive them differently...This statement should be the end all to debates in which their favorite Final Fantasy game was/is.

Simple some people like Kefka...I don't...some people can relate to cloud's situation and engross themselves with his story. Some people find him irritating, who is right? To say THIS or THAT is by far the best one and the other choice sucks is trying to push your ideas onto others to validate your own choice...cause maybe deep down your not happy with the order to which you claim the Final Fantasy games should rank? Think about it.

[/Neutral stance program]

Edited for slight grammar improvement...

EDIT 2: DLBP :P
« Last Edit: 2011-02-01 16:23:06 by Mako »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2011-02-01 15:38:18 »
 8)  grammar :P /end-nazi

Well, the way I see it.  Judging a game and story goes beyond simple "opinion".  Sure that comes into it, as does taste, but there are things you can compare which are factual.  The number of quests, the types, the intelligence level required to play, the complexity of story, the emotional response from said story (somewhat), the diversity of things to do, the length of the game, the character development and script.

All of these can be judged fairly, and I don't see how XII or XIII beat X on the majority of these at all.  XII had a gambit system that played the game for you, and the quests were more often than not, just more battles, not to mention the story was bare bones and character development woeful.  XIII had 2 AI controlled characters and a melodramatic story which made no sense at all in large parts.

Comparing games in this way leads to an overall conclusion, regardless of what you LIKED MORE.

So, yeah I am going to be arrogant enough to say that X is better overall than XII and XIII, and I don't consider it an opinion.  I'm sorry.  ;D  I know that pisses people off and makes me look like an arsehole, but so be it.   :-o

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-02-01 17:53:55 »
I'm gonna close this thread for a while until things cool down a bit. Most of the thread has been b*tching about it and the other FF games.

I'll still update it though.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-12 13:30:00 by ultima espio »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2011-09-12 13:42:18 »
I've unlocked this again for news and updates relating to FFXIII-2.

The other thread is more for discussion of FFXIII as a whole, and it seems to be a general argument/comparison thread.

This one is ONLY for discussion on news/updates. Some people are interested in it, so we need somewhere to discuss it without all the arguments breaking out. If you'd like to keep that in the other thread, that would be nice.

http://finalfantasyxiii2.wordpress.com/

It's been confirmed that all the old characters return, but only some are playable. The only character we've seen apart from Lightning is Hope. Snow is missing, Fang and Vanille are still Crystal and we've heard nothing of Sazh.

There are to be more new playable characters introduced besides Noel.

Monsters can be recruited to help you in battle.

Time Travel is a major part of the story. You can unlock multiple endings based on what you've done in the different time zones.

On the site above you can find more information, screens and wallpapers.

Giullio

• Where is the love?
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News
« Reply #89 on: 2011-09-12 19:49:56 »
Oh nice, snow is missing, that reminds me of Final Fantasy X-2 when tidus was missing also, just hope that XIII-2 is not a girl game just like X-2...
I don't even know why i bother commenting the new FF releases, i guess i can't accept that Final fantasy died =/ (that's my opinion)

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2011-09-12 19:58:39 »
Why does Hope have to be in it? He was my least favorite character.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-09-12 21:12:54 »
Hope was my favourite character actually. I really like how he changed throughout the game. He was so scared and grief stricken at the beginning, then we see him shape into a strong and confident young man by the end of the game.

Originally, Lightning was not going to be the main character of the original FF13...it was Vanille. They'd shown a lot of Lightning, so they just stuck with her.

Heh.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-09-12 22:06:20 »
Oh nice, snow is missing, that reminds me of Final Fantasy X-2 when tidus was missing also, just hope that XIII-2 is not a girl game just like X-2...
I don't even know why i bother commenting the new FF releases, i guess i can't accept that Final fantasy died =/ (that's my opinion)

They've already stated in interviews that it's going to be nothing like FFX-2, there won't be a J-Pop feel. You should google it if you're interested in reading the interview.

Hope was my favourite character actually. I really like how he changed throughout the game. He was so scared and grief stricken at the beginning, then we see him shape into a strong and confident young man by the end of the game.

Originally, Lightning was not going to be the main character of the original FF13...it was Vanille. They'd shown a lot of Lightning, so they just stuck with her.

Heh.

While I didn't find Hope annoying, he wasn't my favourite character, though I know what you mean about his character development. He's actually one of the characters that make the game more interesting because he actually has some depth. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's like 2 years older. I wonder if his voice has broke? Lmao.

I didn't know that info about Lightning? I thought she was always supposed to be the main character? Your theory makes more sense when you actually look at the story, being that she was portrayed everywhere as the main character then in the game they all kind of have equal stories. I didn't even find any of the characters irritating. Well, maybe Hope, but only until he got over his puppy vengeance thing with Snow.

My favourite character by FAR was Fang. I think theres a kind of mystique around her, because we don't actually know anything about her past on Gran Pulse, or Vanille's for that matter. I want to know more about her, something tells me they're not going into her backstory though.

While I respect that it's a good idea to introduce new characters, I'd be quite happy to be able to play as the two that are left at the start (say Hope and Sazh, since Lightning is somewhere else, Snow is missing, and Fang and Vanille are crystal) with Serah (it makes sense she'd join the party to find them) and then go from there. I hope this "Noel" is written in in an interesting way, I hate it when they introduce randoms, it feels a bit alien to the original setting. I don't enjoy that big creepy nemesis of Lightning's with the feminine-but-not hair either.

If anyone hasn't read this - Final Fantasy XIII - Episode 1 - then you should. It bridges the gap between XIII and XIII-2, and explains where the characters are and why. They should really officially release a form of this in English.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2011-09-12 22:12:16 »
Not a theory at all actually:

According to the Final Fantasy XIII Ultimania Omega, the development team at one point considered making Vanille the official main character of the game, but dismissed the idea as they had already released a trailer and art featuring Lightning in that role.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Oerba_Dia_Vanille

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2011-09-12 22:29:18 »
So they thought about making Vanille the main character? I can't imagine that would have gone down well, but I didn't really have a problem with her. It may actually have made more sense to make her the main character.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2011-09-12 22:41:57 »
Day 1 buy for me really enjoyed xiii still not too keen on the new character but he still cooler than Snow

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2011-09-13 12:14:15 »
Sazh is to be revealed at TGS on Thursday or Friday, along with a trailer and release dates.

New logo too:

« Last Edit: 2011-09-13 12:18:55 by ultima espio »

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2011-09-13 15:34:24 »
I was always wondering. Snow's gank is seen again in this game. Are they going to be playable now??? I was really interested in having some of them in my party :P :P

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2011-09-13 16:29:35 »
I saw that logo too, though I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #99 on: 2011-09-13 17:13:29 »
The only good news about this game would be that the entire division doing it BURNS DOWN. Including the responsible people.