Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Smoother 60FPS Battles (v0.95)  (Read 302689 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Smoother 60FPS Battles (v0.9)
« Reply #200 on: 2014-10-17 14:29:56 »
Yeah thats definitely an issue...  I've been luckier with rare torrents.

Mkilbride2599

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2014-10-17 19:46:04 »
I folllowed the guide up on the current version to see if I liked it, however when starting I get an error about no battleswirl_framerate = 60 cmd.

I booted the game up anyway, but some interesting things happened:

The camera is so god damned smooth...thank you, seriously. Wow. That looks better. Animations literally seem to just be twice as fast...which makes some stuff kinda awkward.  Enemies are also facing backwards. My Limit Break bar filled up pretty instantly. Also, the bottom chunk of the screen was eliminated almost entirely.

I am using Bootleg +  The most recent mod pack, Presets on full.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-17 19:52:14 by Mkilbride2599 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2014-10-17 20:15:00 »
If you're not using version .8 or higher of Aali's driver, the battleswirl fix won't work.  Hence the error.

I can't diagnose problems with bootleg, you'll have to ask vgr or whoever is in charge of it these days.   Models shouldn't be facing backwards though.  Who were you fighting?

Mkilbride2599

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2014-10-17 20:49:08 »
Right at the start, before you talk to Biggs and the rest, the dog and guard were facing backwards.

"# ff7_opengl-0.7.11b config file - modified by Bootleg"

Yeap, seems not an updated version.  Guess I should go get the latest and figure this out.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2014-10-17 20:53:57 »
I fear this mod is not fully compatible with Bootleg, even less the full presets. I won't spend time or energy troubleshooting errors if anything was installed before or after Bootleg, sadly.

You can update to the latest driver, but make sure to copy over your settings. I'm not sure what changed, but I assume it'll work fine.

@obesebear - I indeed am in charge of it, the only one even.

Mkilbride2599

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2014-10-17 21:14:51 »
Ah, a shame if it's not compatible with mods out there, I have to choose smooth gameplay or lego block characters. Tough choices. I did save a copy of my config and am trying to make it as close as possible. Am having issues with the new config though, most options are removed, or changed...hm.

I got it to work with the new version. I copied what ettings I could / used the bootleg in the main folder thing to set some settings, but stuff like internal resolution are gone, vbo, other things, hmm...so I got the Battlswirl 60 command to run

But is this honestly what it's supposed to be like? Just 4x speed? Because I used a Limit Break and well...it was over in the span of a single blink. The smooth camera and everything is appealing, but that...also with the Hexteditor, I realized music never plays, it must be related to bootleg and the like. So it seems both 60FPS plugins aren't usable with bootleg / mods, and this one just seems awkward. Kinda like when you speed up a video 2x speed, that's how it feels, not to natural.

Damn, I restored everything back to the way it was, my .lgp's, my .exe, but for some reason the black box is still there, eliminating the UI. No idea, nothing else besides your 60FPS mod was installed and I reverted all the files, yet the big black box remains, basically the UI is just gone.

It worked fine before this mod, but I have restored every file, so it's odd it persists.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-17 21:44:59 by Mkilbride2599 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2014-10-17 21:42:25 »
If you're going to use this mod, it should be installed last.  On mine, NFITC, and DLPB's computers this has worked fine, so I don't know where the problem is.

The files in BATTLEFILES and MAGICFILES only alter model animations and won't conflict with 99% of the other mods out there (the exception being files that alter animations will be reverted back to their originals).  The .dif files, though they edit the exe, only change certain values.  Values that aren't changed by any other mods AFAIK.   The HextLaunch files can easily be disabled by removing the portion of the txt file you think causes the problem. 

So really, I don't know how this would mess up anyone's game.   Was everything working right when you only had bootleg installed?

Mkilbride2599

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2014-10-17 21:45:59 »
If you're going to use this mod, it should be installed last.  On mine, NFITC, and DLPB's computers this has worked fine, so I don't know where the problem is.

The files in BATTLEFILES and MAGICFILES only alter model animations and won't conflict with 99% of the other mods out there (the exception being files that alter animations will be reverted back to their originals).  The .dif files, though they edit the exe, only change certain values.  Values that aren't changed by any other mods AFAIK.   The HextLaunch files can easily be disabled by removing the portion of the txt file you think causes the problem. 

So really, I don't know how this would mess up anyone's game.   Was everything working right when you only had bootleg installed?

Yeap, everything worked fine with onyl bootleg, I've updated the above post with a screenshot showing what the mod caused. Also trying to copy over old options from 0.7 just causes the config to reset to defaults...

0.8 Config
# ff7_opengl-0.8b config file

## USER OPTIONS ##
## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution in window mode, your current desktop resolution will be used in fullscreen mode
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 2560
window_size_y = 1440
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
mod_path = bootleg

# check your Nvidia/ATI/Intel control panel settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = no

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
# only affects low-res textures, high-res replacements will still be filtered where appropriate
linear_filter = off

# plugin used to play music, VGMstream requires a set of looping .ogg files in the music/vgmstream folder.
# If no music plugin is loaded the game will play MIDI as usual but FF7Music will NOT work.
music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

## ENHANCEMENTS ##
## All the little extras that weren't part of the original game, default options include only trivial bug fixes.

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

## ADVANCED OPTIONS ##
## Don't fiddle with these unless you know what you're doing.

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = yes

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = no

# max size of the texture cache to hold in RAM, in megabytes
# don't set it any higher than 1GB unless you want your game to crash
texture_cache_size = 256

# use pixel buffer objects to speed up texture loading
# might crash horribly on ATI cards but should work for NVIDIA users
use_pbo = yes

# use mipmaps (anisotropic filtering) for high-res textures
use_mipmaps = yes

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# plugin used to play movies, FFMpeg is the only choice for now
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp

## MODDER OPTIONS ##
## These options are mostly useful to modders and should not be enabled during normal play.

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
show_missing_textures = no

#change battle Framer-ate
battleswirl_framerate = 60

0.7 config

# ff7_opengl-0.7.11b config file - modified by Bootleg

## USER OPTIONS ##

## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 2560
window_size_y = 1440
internal_size_x = 3840
internal_size_y = 2160
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

#window_pos_x = -1
#window_pos_y = -1
#widescreen_hack = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = bootleg

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = no
refresh_rate = 120

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = on
battleswirl_framerate = 60

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# plugin used to play music, the FF7Music plugin MUST be enabled for FF7Music to work.
# If no music plugin is loaded the game will play MIDI as usual but FF7Music will NOT work.
music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

## ENHANCEMENTS ##
## All the little extras that weren't part of the original game, default options include only trivial bug fixes.

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no
#new_hp_limit = yes
#new_mp_limit = yes

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = on

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
enable_postprocessing = yes
post_source = shaders/SmartBloom.post
yuv_source = shaders/yuv.frag
frag_source = shaders/main.frag
vert_source = shaders/main.vert

## ADVANCED OPTIONS ##
## Don't fiddle with these unless you know what you're doing.

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes
#enable_lighting = yes
#show_light_rays = yes
#show_normals = yes
#show_tbn_space = yes
#max_lights = 12

#Variable Functions#
#specular_fog = yes
#texture_scale_bias = 1
#texture_coordinate_clamp = yes
#pixel_texture_bits = 32
#generate_mipmap = yes
#detail_texture = yes
#shader_precision = yes
#tessellation_program5 = yes
#multisample_coverage = yes
#multisample_filter_hint = yes
#texture_filter_anisotropic = yes
#texture_edge_clamp = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = yes
skip_frames = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = no

# use pixel buffer objects to speed up texture loading
# will probably crash horribly on ATI cards but should work for NVIDIA users
use_pbo = yes
use_vbo = yes

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = yes

# plugin used to play movies, FFMpeg is the only choice for now
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp

## MODDER OPTIONS ##
## These options are mostly useful to modders and should not be enabled during normal play.

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
show_missing_textures = no

# Disable Error Notifications
disable_popup = on

load_library = Kranmer.dll
« Last Edit: 2014-10-17 21:52:30 by Mkilbride2599 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2014-10-17 21:53:00 »
The only thing this mod changes is the timing of animations, the camera, and texture duration.

Maybe NFITC or DLPB will swing by and give their 2 cents, but I'm about positive that has nothing to do with 60fps.   I'll also be updating the download pretty soon here

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #209 on: 2014-10-17 21:55:02 »
You can update to the latest driver, but make sure to copy over your settings. I'm not sure what changed, but I assume it'll work fine.

I don't recommend this. 0.8+ music runs with .ogg music files from the vgmstream plugin. FF7Music music and all the Bootleg music mods won't function anymore. It's possible some other errors may happen. Vgr is going to need to test all the Bootleg mods with the latest .8 driver to figure out any other possible errors, but until then, you MUST use 0.7.11b with Bootleg.

Shoot me down if I'm wrong. It's happened before :-\
« Last Edit: 2014-10-17 21:57:18 by EQ2Alyza »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2014-10-17 22:06:06 »
The only reason .8 and higher is needed is to increase the battle swirl duration.  Otherwise .7.11 is fine.

Mkilbride2599

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2014-10-17 22:08:22 »
Yeah, that is why I am confused as well...because I reverted all the files it changed, yet the screen is strill cut-off.

And so I should switch back to 7.11? But I got the new music to work with  0.8, I just changed the plugin?

The screenshot above happened in 7.11 and 0.8, but that is from 0.8 and as you  can see, mods still work.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2014-10-18 02:08:01 »
[...] Vgr is going to need to test all the Bootleg mods with the latest .8 driver[...]

And that isn't going to be any time soon. I have a project going on which requires most of my free time, so this goes low on my priority list.

Mkilbride2599

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2014-10-18 02:34:11 »
I'm going to re-install Bootleg's mods and hope for the best.

*Yeap, a full re-install of Bootleg has it back to normal. Guess I'll wait and see if this pans out eventually. Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-18 03:03:40 by Mkilbride2599 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2014-10-22 17:45:10 »
Newest (and perhaps final) version is uploaded.

-Textures and magics will now display correctly!
-Battle victories delayed so they end at the proper time
-Battle won't actually begin until the opening camera has finished panning

Known problems
-Yellow indicator above player spins too fast
-Animations need to delay 2x before executing (only slightly noticeable)
-Slots may appear a little strange.  After talking with DLPB this seems to have everything to do with the broken game timer, so it's not running at 60fps and is more like 57 or 58 causing them to hiccup
-Summons do work, and will cause damage, but watching them may cause epilepsy.  Check the first post with the quote from NFITC1 to see why this is and how it can be fixed. It is unlikely we will be fixing this problem, so volunteers are welcome.

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Smoother 60FPS Battles (v0.93)
« Reply #215 on: 2014-10-27 20:19:26 »
Seriously, someone needs to make a decent video of this.   I tried making a comparison video, and it's pretty shit.  I'll put a link once it finishes uploading

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #216 on: 2014-10-27 21:19:56 »
-Summons do work, and will cause damage, but watching them may cause epilepsy.  Check the first post with the quote from NFITC1 to see why this is and how it can be fixed. It is unlikely we will be fixing this problem, so volunteers are welcome.

Oddly, this is what caused me to discover the cause of and solution to the Vincent Mug Glitch.

ADDENDUM:
While I previously thought this problem an "all-or-nothing" fix, there's actually a way around that! It involves some creative re-coding, but each piece can be done one at a time. I mostly say this because summons are in disastrous need of fixing, but the way I initially envisioned it couldn't be fixed without breaking everything else too.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2014-10-28 01:23:06 »
So what's the difference? 

I'll link to the video I did tomorrow, it's on my desktop and I don't feel like getting out of bed now

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #219 on: 2014-10-28 02:27:15 »
So what's the difference?

It's a reimagining of the limiter I wrote earlier. What I sent you forceably skipped three frames before actually advancing the effects. However, each animation has a loader function which gets called immediately before queuing the "master thread". All I have to do is change that limiter to accept a variable number of frames to skip (defaulting to 3) and make each of these loader functions set that to 0. That way individual animations can get fixed (like summons, which will still take time) and not break anything else. It's still a big task to fix even one summon, but if I can fix one I can instruct someone on how to fix another and we can ultimately fix all summons without screwing anything else. Also wouldn't hurt to fix a few other things like the magic/summon charging effects either.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2014-10-30 04:33:11 »
Just so's ya know, YouTube enabled 60fps support earlier today for videos at 720p or higher. So if you want to put future videos there instead of MediaFire, it's a viable option now.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2014-10-30 07:11:10 »
Just checked out the 60fps video from mediafire, that camera panning is smooth like effin butter

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #222 on: 2014-10-30 08:29:07 »
Is there a certain option on YT or you just upload the video?

When I try to capture @60 video is stuttering sometimes though. I'm using OBS.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-30 11:47:01 by LeonhartGR »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2014-10-30 10:19:50 »
While OBS is good to capture gameplay, if you want precision you'll need to use something else, like Fraps.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #224 on: 2014-10-30 11:47:09 »
Ok tried FRAPS and worked great but I can't have the cool overlay image I'm using with OBS as my channel avatar, without editing the video. And rendering takes so much time! Also forget 720HD, 1080HD with firefox, waterfox etc. atm. Chrome works well!