Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837022 times)

clarkymark

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8950 on: 2020-02-17 20:42:02 »
The Steam version always runs its scene.bin (enemy data) and kernel.bin (character data) from the FF7/Data/Lang-en folder whereas the 1998 PC version (and a 7h game conversion) uses ff7/data/battle and ff7/data/kernel. Even if 7h was installed and a Game Converter process ran over it, you can still use the Steam version as-is by running ff7_en.exe (or through the Steam launcher). The NT installer patches both sets of files however, 1998 and Steam, to cover both versions.

Save files don't affect the starting state of the game; you can actually load saves made from other mods/vanilla into NT (and vise-versa) and they'll mostly work fine; maybe a visual glitch on EXP gauges that will correct itself on the next level up. Nothing so drastic that it would impact a New Game. Keep your save files, or at the very least just move them elsewhere and don't delete them. Remember also that Steam keeps its save files in a separate place to the regular 1998 game; it's in:

D:\UserName\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_#####.

New Game itself initialises from the kernel.bin (that's where Cloud's starting state + starting inventory are), so it sounds like that's where the point of failure is. Perhaps the installer wasn't able to patch the kernel properly due to a file security issue or similar. Usually that would mean it wouldn't be able to patch it at all, but can't rule it out considering that it sounds like the kernel has been corrupted in some way.

The installer says Data folder but it's out of date, the intended folder is the FF7 folder as it now targets both the ff7.exe and ff7_en.exe for changes as well. That's another possibility, perhaps the .exe patch is stopping the game from doing read/writes on the kernel correctly (a user had an issue where they couldn't save the game for instance due to this). My advice is to right-click into the installer's properties, check that it is unblocked, and then run as admin or to have the FF7 game installed in a non-systems folder outside of Program Folders (Steam allows for games to be installed in multiple locations). Then after install, do the same with both .exe files; right-click into their properties and make sure they're unblocked (don't need to run these as admin, it tends to make the game work strangely).

Although if you have 7h installed, then remember that NT has an IRO as well. That's available from front page of this thread. Assuming the 7h install is correct, I'd recommend using that instead as the installer is more for non-7H installations as it hard overwrites files.

Thanks, sadly it just isn't working for me for some reason. I'm stumped. Just get the 'unknown exception occured' message  :(

They are def unblocked (doesn't even have the little message to say unblock at the bottom like on other things oddly)

sad. I really wanted to play this. loved watching 4-8 play this couple years ago.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: 2020-02-17 22:45:14 »
This might've been asked before but where is HP absorb located? (Playing Vanilla version but couldn't find it in the usual North Cave spot.

Should be in the cat house in Wutai (if the Yuffie Materia sidequest was done). There's some stairs in the back that you can climb by pushing the Confirm button (may need to mash it a bit). There'll be a chest up there with it inside.

Thanks, sadly it just isn't working for me for some reason. I'm stumped. Just get the 'unknown exception occured' message  :(

They are def unblocked (doesn't even have the little message to say unblock at the bottom like on other things oddly)

sad. I really wanted to play this. loved watching 4-8 play this couple years ago.

All right, do the following:

1) Uninstall then reinstall the Steam game.

2) Download this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c57at39b54geauy/Direct_Patch.zip/file

3) Unzip the folder and remove the .EXE files from it (the mod can run with default .exes). Then merge the folder contents with your data folder, confirming overwrite when prompted. Should be scene.bin, kernel.bin, flevel.lgp, battle.lgp, and char.lgp.

4) Try the game and see if it it's resolved.

clarkymark

• View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: 2020-02-18 06:01:43 »
Should be in the cat house in Wutai (if the Yuffie Materia sidequest was done). There's some stairs in the back that you can climb by pushing the Confirm button (may need to mash it a bit). There'll be a chest up there with it inside.

All right, do the following:

1) Uninstall then reinstall the Steam game.

2) Download this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c57at39b54geauy/Direct_Patch.zip/file

3) Unzip the folder and remove the .EXE files from it (the mod can run with default .exes). Then merge the folder contents with your data folder, confirming overwrite when prompted. Should be scene.bin, kernel.bin, flevel.lgp, battle.lgp, and char.lgp.

4) Try the game and see if it it's resolved.

nope. game works but mod isn't there. The flevel.lgp, battle lgp, char.lgp isn't in that folder. just scene.bin kernel.bin and kernal2.bin

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: 2020-02-18 13:00:36 »
Oh wrong file; probably should have known from the size of it.

This is it: https://mega.nz/#!O1MnRIDJ!ozA-5UnQWdUyLlAT_JYxGoYi1IekKBBr8c_ZWn3VPzQ

clarkymark

• View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: 2020-02-18 15:17:15 »
It is ok now :), turns out all I needed to do was uninstall steam all together then re-install steam, then it worked.

Really odd but oh well. Works fine now :)

thank you

Megamilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8955 on: 2020-02-20 18:32:17 »
Hello!

Just started the mod. Really enjoying it.

A question: is it possible to play with the new gameplay but without the revised script and/or Cloud's new character model color?

Thanks!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: 2020-02-20 19:56:43 »
Hello!

Just started the mod. Really enjoying it.

A question: is it possible to play with the new gameplay but without the revised script and/or Cloud's new character model color?

Thanks!

Text is baked into the field's event script, so unfortunately it would be a fairly large undertaking to put it back as it was. As for the character model, if you get Luksy's ULGP tool and unpack the char.lgp of NT and a default .lgp, then transfer all the aaaa files down to the first 3 anim files (this is all of cloud's model parts).

Megamilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: 2020-02-20 21:22:35 »
Got it. Will look into it. Thanks for the answer =)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #8958 on: 2020-02-24 12:13:41 »
Were the Arrange Mode selection at the start of a New Game and Barret music options taken out?
« Last Edit: 2020-02-24 12:18:33 by EQ2Alyza »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: 2020-02-24 12:44:45 »
Were the Arrange Mode selection at the start of a New Game and Barret music options taken out?

No; where did you get the IRO from, was it this thread?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: 2020-02-24 15:29:19 »
Yes, of course.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: 2020-02-24 19:29:30 »
Yes, of course.

I checked the IRO file and it is definitely in there; the welcome script, etc. Is this a test of it on 2.0? I would check Gjoerulv's mod as well as that has the same file structure as NT (to check it, load a save that's either on Floor 64 and ready to open the chest on Floor 65, at the foot of the Sister Ray, or about to enter any of the Materia Caves for the first time. If a special battle triggers when proceeding with those events, it means its flevel is patched).

Chunks needed for NT are 1, 3, 5, and 7. 5 isn't as important but it prevents a lock from happening at the end of the dark cave sidequest.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: 2020-02-24 21:01:04 »
It should just be a direct unpack from your IRO. Nothing altered. I say “should be” so I’ll check over it again.

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: 2020-02-27 07:42:48 »
I think the Shinra HQ Library puzzle, with the Mayor, has a bug. I can tell from reading a walkthrough that you've messed with it for the mod, and now if the password is BEST, the hints from the improperly filed books in the library actually spell BEHT.

#1 Biological Characteristics of the Ancients
#3 Special Peacekeeping Law
#14 The Ancients in History
#5 Reactor Construction Chart

Is the #14 supposed to be #11, perhaps?

IcyElemental

• View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: 2020-02-27 09:57:25 »
I just started playing this mod and love it so far. One thing I want to mention though is that there's still some issues with the Jessie mod compatibility.

After the guard scorpion fight and on the way out of the reactor, I had a random encounter with another guard scorpion that did thousands of points of damage per round. This occurred right at the bottom of the ladder on the same screen Jessie is normally stuck on, just before I was able to start climbing.

It's not a big deal - I just started again without the Jessie mod - but I wanted to mention as the opening post specifically says they should be compatible now.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: 2020-02-27 14:49:17 »
I think the Shinra HQ Library puzzle, with the Mayor, has a bug. I can tell from reading a walkthrough that you've messed with it for the mod, and now if the password is BEST, the hints from the improperly filed books in the library actually spell BEHT.

#1 Biological Characteristics of the Ancients
#3 Special Peacekeeping Law
#14 The Ancients in History
#5 Reactor Construction Chart

Is the #14 supposed to be #11, perhaps?

Yeah it's off, that's my bad for going into the text there and not double-counting the letters.

I just started playing this mod and love it so far. One thing I want to mention though is that there's still some issues with the Jessie mod compatibility.

After the guard scorpion fight and on the way out of the reactor, I had a random encounter with another guard scorpion that did thousands of points of damage per round. This occurred right at the bottom of the ladder on the same screen Jessie is normally stuck on, just before I was able to start climbing.

It's not a big deal - I just started again without the Jessie mod - but I wanted to mention as the opening post specifically says they should be compatible now.

This is due to a encounter chunk in the Jessie Mod overwriting the encounter table to use the default one (and because NT has some late-game encounters placed in wherever I could make space, this table loads them in).

I made a compatible version by removing this chunk from the Jessie Mod IRO; it didn't need this chunk to begin with so it still functions. It's available on the 1st page of this thread, but will link it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/825mu1w33g83ruh/Jessie_IRO_Compatability_Patched.iro/file

You import that via the 7h library tab and disable/delete the old one.

Blagnarok

• View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: 2020-02-28 05:51:46 »
Hi Sega Chief, just wanted to let you know I think your mod is the best gameplay mod.

I solved a problem with a bug in the game where the dialog with Sephiroth in the basement Shinra Mansion during the flashback scene, as well as some dialog in the Temple of Ancients, was not showing up using your mod, Tifa's 7H, and Menu Overhaul.

I figured the problem was with Menu Overhaul, so I tried the new "Enhanced Stock UI" mod which basically is an IRO that does the menu overhaul without all the other Reunion stuff, and can run off the FF7.exe rather than FF7_mo.exe or FF7_bc.exe.  Unfortunately, this mod also had the same bug with the dialog boxes disappearing after I activated it, so I messed with the settings in the "Enhanced Stock UI" mod and figured out the solution!

Turns out changing one of the settings in the Enhanced Stock UI fixes the issue entirely.  If you set the option for Field Dialog Text Style to "stock" rather than the default "Menu Overhaul with Digit Fixes" the text will show up in those scenes!

Seems the bug was a result of the field text alignment fixes in Menu Overhaul, which can be toggled off in the "Enhanced Stock UI."  There is a little more space between lines of dialog when this setting is on "stock," but the text is still crisp and pretty just like it is in Menu Overhaul mod, and there is no more missing dialog.

Regards,
Nate

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: 2020-02-28 10:20:15 »
Hi Sega Chief, just wanted to let you know I think your mod is the best gameplay mod.

I solved a problem with a bug in the game where the dialog with Sephiroth in the basement Shinra Mansion during the flashback scene, as well as some dialog in the Temple of Ancients, was not showing up using your mod, Tifa's 7H, and Menu Overhaul.

I figured the problem was with Menu Overhaul, so I tried the new "Enhanced Stock UI" mod which basically is an IRO that does the menu overhaul without all the other Reunion stuff, and can run off the FF7.exe rather than FF7_mo.exe or FF7_bc.exe.  Unfortunately, this mod also had the same bug with the dialog boxes disappearing after I activated it, so I messed with the settings in the "Enhanced Stock UI" mod and figured out the solution!

Turns out changing one of the settings in the Enhanced Stock UI fixes the issue entirely.  If you set the option for Field Dialog Text Style to "stock" rather than the default "Menu Overhaul with Digit Fixes" the text will show up in those scenes!

Seems the bug was a result of the field text alignment fixes in Menu Overhaul, which can be toggled off in the "Enhanced Stock UI."  There is a little more space between lines of dialog when this setting is on "stock," but the text is still crisp and pretty just like it is in Menu Overhaul mod, and there is no more missing dialog.

Regards,
Nate

I'll try setting the dialogue back to vanilla for those fields, or using the vanilla text-box sizing; I'm building the final version atm it'll be in that version.

kmrblue1027

• View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: 2020-02-29 01:32:35 »
Minor typo or effect is wrong. Aerith's Wizard Staff from the Ancient Forest restores MP on hit not HP as the effect states. I assume it's a typo as HP restore is pretty outclassed by that late in the game but mana sustain is pretty freaking good.

Aerodynamics

• View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: 2020-02-29 04:22:05 »
Hey there Sega Chief, i'm just curious: how the progress is going on the 2.0 version? It'll be the ultimate way to play ff7. Can't wait for it's release.

Cheers ;)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8970 on: 2020-02-29 11:54:36 »
Going for 20-25th March.

nostalgic

• View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: 2020-03-02 02:02:31 »
@Sega Chief

I'm watching a streamer play New Threat Mod and it looks awesome! I'm definitely going to play it, but I had a quick question if you don't mind.
I'm planning on playing the New Threat + Reunion version, and I was wondering if you think Necrosis would work in combination with these mods? I have played Reunion + Necrosis before (albeit with a slight bit of tinkering to get it to work), so I was hoping I could try it here too.

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: 2020-03-02 03:39:50 »
I'm not sure if this has already been reported, but the Mr. Smile dialog has a small display bug. His line "And that concludes the deal." gets placed in a box that's slightly too short, which puts a linebreak after the "e" in "deal".

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: 2020-03-02 08:53:52 »
@Sega Chief

I'm watching a streamer play New Threat Mod and it looks awesome! I'm definitely going to play it, but I had a quick question if you don't mind.
I'm planning on playing the New Threat + Reunion version, and I was wondering if you think Necrosis would work in combination with these mods? I have played Reunion + Necrosis before (albeit with a slight bit of tinkering to get it to work), so I was hoping I could try it here too.

If it's the translation part of reunion (beacause) then it won't work together; NT has a lot of custom event scripting that lives in the same place as dialogue in the field files. 7h does split field files into separate parts but dialogue + event scripting unfortunately exist in the same section. Beacause also replaces text in the scene + kernel which is where NT's enemy/character changes are so that's another point of conflict. Necrosis is same issue; changes are more minor but would still clash; NT with Necrosis would likely be unwinnable anyway.

I'm not sure if this has already been reported, but the Mr. Smile dialog has a small display bug. His line "And that concludes the deal." gets placed in a box that's slightly too short, which puts a linebreak after the "e" in "deal".

Think it slipped my mind, been a while since I heard about it though.

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: 2020-03-03 04:50:43 »
The Mr. Smile dialog has a small display bug. His line "And that concludes the deal." gets placed in a box that's slightly too short, which puts a linebreak after the "e" in "deal".

Think it slipped my mind, been a while since I heard about it though.

It might only affect some early game save points. I started from the beginning, and I saw it on the original "save point" that starts the SP system, and also in Fort Condor. But on the ship from Junon, it's fixed. Maybe it stays fixed throughout the rest of the game? That could explain the lack of reports.