Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1251493 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The Reunion
« Reply #1550 on: 2013-02-27 20:15:55 »
good to hear just wish Aali would give us a status report on his new driver

So do I.

insidious611

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: 2013-03-09 12:29:39 »
I suppose this is probably the place to post this: In an FF7 PC install with this mod and nothing else installed (with the retranslation enabled), when I get to the bit in Gaia Cliffs where you're supposed to make the giant icicles fall, and it asks you "Do you want to jump down to the room below?" it presents you with these options:

No
Yes

except, picking No makes you jump
and picking Yes makes you not jump.

So I think something got mixed up a bit!

I've also noticed some minor spacing errors and other things, but I'm just assuming these are either known or are due to the retranslation having not touched these scripts yet, etc.

On an unrelated note, could we eventually have a list of monster, item, materia, etc names and what they mapped to in Square's 'original' english translation? Mostly for the purposes of being able to look things up on the internet while playing your retranslation?

Even a mapping to what it was in the japanese would also be useful as what I generally use to look up stuff (finalfantasy.wikia.com) generally has both.

Also this is going to be horribly unhelpful because I don't remember the exact line (having made a note of it happening but continued to play past it), but you used "you're" where you should have used "your" at some point in Midgar at the beginning of Disc 1.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-09 12:34:55 by insidious611 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: 2013-03-09 12:49:50 »
All of that is known (aside from your, which may have changed by now).  The translation changes for items and weapons etc are in a database. See Beacause - The Retranslation thread, main post.  It is not here yet.  The installer on the first post is not supported anymore.

Grammar and spelling mistakes can wait until the translation is finished.  It is currently 60%.

insidious611

• View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: 2013-03-09 14:51:59 »
Awesome, and thanks. Sorry for reporting duplicate issues, am simply trying to be a help to the project by pointing out things I've noticed so far!

All told I really love this retranslation. The best way to put it is that every line thats been retranslated flows far better, and it all feels like real conversations.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: 2013-03-09 15:21:43 »
And it isn't done yet, either ;)  At the end it gets another going through and improvements are being made all the time.

8-)

Stick around for when it is completed, I will surely need people to go through it all.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: 2013-03-10 17:22:09 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQfGck0Lzw

I believe this has been refined slightly since this.  But more or less this is it.

ProtoX

« Reply #1556 on: 2013-03-10 18:34:27 »
Fie! dont you mean Lie! at 9 min mark on the vid

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: 2013-03-10 22:06:18 »
No, Fie!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fie

The people of the pagoda (apart from Shake) have an older way of talking.  Especially Staniv.  They are all named after famous writers (Although Godot is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot)

Shake from Shakespeare

Staniv is from Stanislaw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Lem

Gorky
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Gorky

Chekhov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Chekhov

I think it is a deliberate move to make Shake a slangy kid, whereas in real life, Shakespeare was the worst with the older use of language.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-10 22:11:09 by DLPB »

ProtoX

« Reply #1558 on: 2013-03-10 22:25:21 »
Never knew "fie" was a word thats why i kinda thought that way. any who keep it up

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: 2013-03-10 22:29:18 »
It's one of those things...  they are supposed to talk with the olde speak.  8-)

mystery_editor

• Mmm... Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: 2013-03-11 02:07:59 »
There is something about the "Yes" or "No" options that don't make what they represent immediately clear.

Eg: "Stop your yappin'!" vs "I'll forgive you... this time" - it takes a few seconds to decide which one is in the affirmative, and which one is not. Intentional?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: 2013-03-11 02:10:52 »
It's what it says :)  The line is virtually same in Japanese meaning wise, although I had no problem working it out.  Also, the second option is always the negative in the pagoda.

ProtoX

« Reply #1562 on: 2013-03-14 15:17:03 »
any updates to tell us

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: 2013-03-14 19:06:28 »
No update would help.  I am very busy at the moment, but I will get this released soon enough.,   It has been almost done for some time now.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: 2013-03-14 21:01:40 »
Having a completely updated game where every area also matches in form and art style is very difficult because not everyone's work looks exactly the same. This may make it easier.

Acro

• View Profile
    • French Guide on Final Fantasy VII
« Reply #1565 on: 2013-03-31 11:56:47 »
Hello DLPB,

I'm writing to you because I have been retranslating FF7 in French from Japanese (Project "Neo Midgar") for three years, and I have one urgent problem remaining. I thought you could have the answer, as you worked on this aspect for the Menu Overhaul Project.
As you know, the real names of FF7 item are large, and it's difficult to find a compromise between the japanese name and the size of the name in English. It's even worse in French, where names take more place due to the possessive pronoun "de". I was wondering if you knew how to move the number of exemplary of the items (for example ": 99") on the right, because there is a big useless space in the Item menu on the right. Is it in the FF7.exe?
I would be very grateful to you if you could help me on that subject, because I have been tearing my hair out for so much time now.

Thank you for all, and congratulations for all your work on FF7!

Acro

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: 2013-04-01 05:46:23 »
Download the Hex documentation in Menu Overhaul installer.  Our notes on things like that are there.  You will have to manually alter the menu item positions etc so that they fit.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: 2013-04-03 18:20:44 »
I decided that I will get the sub game to a near finished state before releasing this update.  It is a lot of messing about to get 4 decent levels done.  I will leave the story version of the sub game until the next update.  A lot of this is trial and error since no one knows how the AI of the subs works.  The 4th level is already quite taxing because I have made the subs faster and better, and it is a 1 hit kill should you contact missile or mine.

Much more fun.

edit.  Level 4 is complete.  It took ages because I have no idea what these values actually do so I just trial and error until I like what I see... not efficient to say the least haha.  But I have added other code to change enemy sub speed/missile speed etc, so I do have control over a lot of stuff.  Just not the enemy sub movement.  It still works pretty good.

Level 3 2 and 1 remain, then the mako reactor battle for story.

Level 1

mine strength: 2 bars (out of 16)
enemy missile: 1 bar
Enemy missile speed: slow
Enemy missile rate: low
Enemy missile distance: small

Level 2

Mine strength: 4 bars
enemy missile: 2 bars
Enemy missile speed: medium
Enemy missile rate: medium
Enemy missile distance: medium

Level 3 (and mako battle in story)

Mine strength: 8 bars
enemy missile: 4 bars
Enemy missile speed: high
Enemy missile rate: high
Enemy missile distance: high

Level 4

Mine strength: 16 bars
enemy missile: 16 bars (1 hit kill)
Enemy missile speed: Extreme
Enemy missile rate: high
Enemy missile distance: high

For example... this is the kind of thing I have done.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-04 02:07:56 by DLPB »

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: 2013-04-08 05:00:41 »
Hi DLPB,

Sorry for askin' but I downloaded the hex documentation for my french ff7.exe which came out extremely handy for box and text resizing of the main menu but now, I have some trouble with the black box located behind the main battle menu, I already managed to change the y position of the menu and I need to find the y value for this black bottom bar. I thought it was "battle width 0091e7fc" but doesn't work... My goal is to place the main menu at the bottom of the screen. Thanks.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: 2013-04-08 09:27:50 »
I don't have the time to help anyone with the hex documentation itself, I am sorry :)

nobuyuki

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: 2013-04-09 10:57:14 »
thank you... 
but where I can download Menu Overhaul? in thread [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation  invalid link...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: 2013-04-10 13:51:30 »
First post.
--------

Also special thanks to MJ (not placing his full name).  Not sure who he is here, but he made a nice donation :)  Much appreciated.  I may add an appreciation section to the first post also.  Makes it worthwhile when you know you have made people happy, and that they appreciate your hard work.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: 2013-04-12 21:51:28 »
I am gonna release this for my 4000th post.  Heh.  Another deadline I will mess up.  :evil:  I am just finishing sub and testing.  4000 is a nice number. In hex, it is the health of the ally sub.  :-o

Isuldor

• View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: 2013-04-19 16:44:11 »
Well i'm looking forward to another playthrough.  been working _alot_ lately and this will be a really nice treat for myself :)

I'm going to try playing without cait and see how it is!

i've read the first and last few pages of the beacause thread and this thread, but I'm missing a couple details still:
- what's the current progress on dialog?
- why was it called beacause? lol

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: 2013-04-19 19:01:31 »
Beacause was a mispelling in the original game (Jenova's only line: "Beacause....  you are a puppet", therefore I have used it as the name for Retranslation Project.

Cait dialogue is being started after translation is finished.  Luksy has gone AWOL again, and there is nothing I can do about it.  However, it should not be up to 1 translator to do this job (and Luksy has done far more than his fair share, as well as being a citizen of Japan in full work), and others (especially the 2 I asked numerous times) should have joined in to help but haven't.  I am good at localising.  I cannot understand Japanese.  So it is a 2 man job at the very least.

The status of translation, and all further details will be placed on first post when I release this project (my 4000th post). 

Edit.  Up here haha

Luksy is back and has worked his ass off...  so this is gonna be delayed a while until I catch up.  We are now up to Rocket Village.  I still need to update the Submarine game as well.  It will be prob another 2 weeks.

« Last Edit: 2013-05-08 21:13:36 by DLPB »