Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079243 times)

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #550 on: 2009-12-09 21:58:09 »
Question. Is this mod practical without the 9999 limit breaker patch? Or is that just insane?

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #551 on: 2009-12-09 23:00:00 »
Question. Is this mod practical without the 9999 limit breaker patch? Or is that just insane?
I don't think you'll last very long without it lol.

Boooster

« Reply #552 on: 2009-12-18 03:22:50 »
Been playing this mod for the past week (and boy is my wife pissed at me  :-D) and I have to say:  Well done!!!  This is taking one of the greatest games of my childhood and made it into a fantastic RPG.   The challenge so far has been fantastic and at some points very #$%^ing frustrating.  I am ashamed to say that I did cheat when dealing with JENOVA BIRTH and DEATH.  I managed to get Birth down to next to nothing time after time but it would always kill me - jenova death was just a slaughter.  I managed to kill the Golden Dragon guarding the Neo Bahamaut Materia, but DEATH just annihliated me time after time (probably because Tifa insisted on coming along and I never touched her).  I even tried cheating facing the Trio on the last car of Mt. Corel Huge Materia but after my first KotR summon 2 of them became invulnerable.  No big loss (except for half of their tents when the train crashed). 

I just got Cloud back and will be heading to pay that dragon on mt. nibel a visit :).    LOVE the challenge and strategy involved here, and I had some fights that kept me on the edge of chair, and a few that almost ended with a smashed monitor (jenova birth).  I love that items actually have a use now, and running out of phoenix downs and ethers and gil is an ever present fact of life here. This is also the first game I ever used Aeris and got her lvl 4 limit - man she is a necessity for this mod! Absolutely loved getting her limit up ready for a battle with those impossible monsters, stealing like a madman and running away! 

I can write pages about what a great mod this is and how much fun I've been having and am up to the Junon reactor with Cloud, Cid, and Nanaki (only trying to get Nanaki's limits up past lvl 2).  Or maybe I'll finally get Yuffie to beat Godo - something I gave up on way back when).

Excellent job again!

Boooster

« Reply #553 on: 2009-12-20 05:42:24 »
Don't mean to double post, but had a quick question - which program can I use to edit a weapon?  I would like to change Yuffie's final weapon strength back to the original strength.  I love using her and after getting the Conformer she is pretty crippled and would like to restore it to what it used to be.  Morphing isn't really the issue here (since those Unknowns just rip me to pieces anyway), I just really like using her for some reason:)

Thanks

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #554 on: 2009-12-20 19:01:49 »
Don't mean to double post, but had a quick question - which program can I use to edit a weapon?  I would like to change Yuffie's final weapon strength back to the original strength.  I love using her and after getting the Conformer she is pretty crippled and would like to restore it to what it used to be.  Morphing isn't really the issue here (since those Unknowns just rip me to pieces anyway), I just really like using her for some reason:)

Thanks

The damage formula of that weapon is based on the target's level. The higher the enemy level; the higher the damage. If you want to change it, try Wall Marked.
Thanks for for trying it and for the feedback. All the jenovas (except the very last one) are weak against Cloud's normal attacks. I realize that's kinda impossible to grasp, so I was thinking of simply making 'em weak against physical attacks.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 2010-01-01 17:04:44 »
Happy new year !!! :-D
I can't wait to try it :lol:

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: 2010-01-01 17:57:57 »
Ok as usual, when I want to install a mod, I have a problem -_-"
Well, first of all, I'm french, so I have the french version of FF7, then, when I try to install it, it says:

Below log created: 01/01/2010 at 19:18:51
PROGRESS:
Checking files.
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\scene.bin
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\battle.lgp
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\kernel\kernel.bin
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\kernel\kernel2.bin
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\field\flevel.lgp
Patch starting.
Patching: D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\scene.bin
L'accès au chemin d'accès 'D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\scene.bin' est refusé.
Patch finished.
Time spent: 0:08

(l'acces au chemin d'accès est refusé = the acces to the "acces way" ? is denied.....)

So what the hell am I suppose to do ??

I'm under windows seven, but I tried on 2 other computers which are under xp and it says: "The application couldn't initiate correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to stop the apply.

So... If you have answers, be my guest.
Btw, if there's no way for me to use this, well could you give me the changed files directly ?

Thank you very much, can't wait to try it :lol:

Edit: In fact, it looks like the acces is denied for every ticked thing such as "scene.bin ; kernel.bin ; kernel2.bin ; battle.lgp and flevel.lgp"
Btw I don't even have a flevel.lgp, only a fflevel.lgp...

What should I doooo ??  :cry:
« Last Edit: 2010-01-01 19:19:36 by samourai23 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 2010-01-01 20:55:00 »
Sounds like User Account Control to me. Windows 7 doesn't like you editing any files in the "program files" folder. Go to the control panel, user accounts and turn account control off. Also, it might be a good idea to right-click on the patching program and select "run as administrator" if possible.

Fortunately, UAC in Windows 7 is easier to get rid of than UAC in Vista :3

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 2010-01-01 21:44:39 »
Well I did what you said, and it still doesn't work :-(
I turned off the UAC and ran as admin and it still said acces denied for scene.bin....

And also, when I move the data folder on the desktop, it still doesn't work --''
« Last Edit: 2010-01-01 22:21:18 by samourai23 »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 2010-01-01 22:54:39 »
well, something doesnt smell right.
You can try changing attributes of the file. Right click scene.bin and uncheck 'read only' if applicable. Then click on the security tab and check all permissions under your name. This isnt a problem dealt by the gods of default settings, you might want to try reinstalling ff7 as something may have messed up the scene.bin.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #560 on: 2010-01-01 23:35:38 »
Ok as usual, when I want to install a mod, I have a problem -_-"
Well, first of all, I'm french, so I have the french version of FF7, then, when I try to install it, it says:

Below log created: 01/01/2010 at 19:18:51
PROGRESS:
Checking files.
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\scene.bin
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\battle.lgp
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\kernel\kernel.bin
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\kernel\kernel2.bin
 File check-> D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\field\flevel.lgp
Patch starting.
Patching: D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\scene.bin
L'accès au chemin d'accès 'D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\Data\battle\scene.bin' est refusé.
Patch finished.
Time spent: 0:08

(l'acces au chemin d'accès est refusé = the acces to the "acces way" ? is denied.....)

So what the hell am I suppose to do ??

I'm under windows seven, but I tried on 2 other computers which are under xp and it says: "The application couldn't initiate correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to stop the apply.

So... If you have answers, be my guest.
Btw, if there's no way for me to use this, well could you give me the changed files directly ?

Thank you very much, can't wait to try it :lol:

Edit: In fact, it looks like the acces is denied for every ticked thing such as "scene.bin ; kernel.bin ; kernel2.bin ; battle.lgp and flevel.lgp"
Btw I don't even have a flevel.lgp, only a fflevel.lgp...

What should I doooo ??  :cry:

Like Kudistos Megistos stated it's most likely a UAC problem. I'm not too familiar with W7 though so I can't say for sure. Try creating your own data folder:

1. Create a folder in C:\ and name it 'data' (without the quotes).
2. Create 3 sub-folders: 'battle', 'field' and 'kernel'.
3. Copy the original files from the install disc, and place 'em inside the sub-folders (you know what goes where right? If not it's exactly as it is inside the FF7 data folder).
4. Run gjoerulv.exe, select the newly created data folder and click patch.

Run gjoerulv.exe as admin, and make sure the files aren't write protected. If you right-click a file, under properties in the security tab you can edit what user can and cannot access. Make sure your user have access to everything in all of the files. If you try it on another computer make sure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (or higher) is installed.

Have anyone else gotten an error when opening the program? Like "instance not set to an object" or something like that. I suspect there is a bug. I'll look into it tomorrow. Now I'm effin tired lol.

Happy new year btw!  :-D

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: 2010-01-01 23:49:33 »
Ok I have a big problem now since my install disk say at exactly 15% of the installation that there is an error -114 or something like that (WHAT THE HELL ?????)
And then, it looks like scene.bin isn't protected, so is there a way you send me your scene.bin ? So I can see if it works.
And btw, can you tell me how many files is there in the battle folder ? Thanks a lot.

(OMG I hope my install disk is not dead :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :-o

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 2010-01-01 23:56:30 »
No I did what you said, and it doesn't work, and all the files are fine, so is there a way you send me a pack with modified files ? (I mostly mean your data folder in fact)
Because I don't understand...

It never works, I tried everything... --'' I've never been lucky with mods...
« Last Edit: 2010-01-02 00:04:50 by samourai23 »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 2010-01-06 14:21:45 »
Installer works great for me, although I have no idea how to select the difficulty settings?
Is it defaulting to Extreme?
I really wanna play Hard, just because Normal is much too easy and Extreme is... well.... Extreme.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #564 on: 2010-01-07 07:34:39 »
Installer works great for me, although I have no idea how to select the difficulty settings?
I really wanna play Hard, just because Normal is much too easy and Extreme is... well.... Extreme.

Sorry, I forgot to remove the miscellaneous section in the info. There is one difficulty only. But in future  releases there may be more.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 2010-01-07 08:47:24 »

Sorry, I forgot to remove the miscellaneous section in the info. There is one difficulty only. But in future  releases there may be more.

Oh ok, fyi Hard mode would be great.
Thanks for all the hard work you put into this mod, this is really the only thing out there that actually improves upon the game itself, instead of just the visuals / sound.

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: 2010-01-14 11:09:25 »
Hmmm.

Stuck on the Guard scorpion.

>:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 2010-01-14 11:11:18 »
Hmmm.

Stuck on the Guard scorpion.

>:

If it ever uses tail laser you're doing something wrong.  :-P
Try training in the room where Wedge stands guard and the reactor explosion FMV takes place up to lv6 or lv7. The enemies there are pretty easy.

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 2010-01-14 11:15:56 »
No tail laser happening, I just don't have the potions.  I gots 1 potion, 2 ethers, and 2 phoenix downs.  Can I assume grinding will compund the problem?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 2010-01-14 11:17:44 »
No tail laser happening, I just don't have the potions.  I gots 1 potion, 2 ethers, and 2 phoenix downs.  Can I assume grinding will compund the problem?

yeah, and moving everyone to the back row while fighting it is also a good idea.
Defending after a Search Scope will also help.

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 2010-01-14 11:39:50 »
Everyone's in the back row, though why defend after search scope?  It inflicts stop, right?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #571 on: 2010-01-15 00:02:44 »
1st reactor guide:
Get Barret as fast as possible. Go outside again and level up to AT LEAST lvl 5.
Fight those sweepers to get bolt plumes, at least 1. Note that those "Robots" (not the sweepers) are weak towards ice. Use bolt plumes on the Boss. You should be lvl 7, minimum, when fighting it.

After you get Tifa, BUY RESTORE MATERIA. Then go fight in the train graveyard to level up 1-3 levels. Make sure you have at least 2 of each materia before you continue. You should level up and buy stuff here, 'cause in the next reactor there are no shops.

It probably isn't that hard after the 2nd reactor. Depends on your level etch.

EDIT: Search scope paralyzes you for a short while.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 2010-01-15 03:29:33 »
Yeah Guard scorpion was really hard, I just keep on using the bolt plumes on sweepers / robots for instant kill and easy exp, and they will usually drop a replacement plume.
The next battle I found really hard was the SOLDIER Trio in Shinra HQ (prolly coz I was 7 levels below them)

Also Gjoerulv, the fact that there is a boss in Clouds Past with Seph was sooo awesome! :D
Any way to make it look like the creature in the video (Makonoid)?: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/6/61/Mako_Mutant.jpg

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 2010-01-15 05:35:01 »
a makonoid would be very fitting for a boss battle there, especially since the one that pops out of the container never seems to be killed... and for a music choice for the battle... J-E-N-O-V-A (chu2) or Those Chosen By the Planet (cephiros) would be good candidates over a normal boss theme, at least in my opinion (not sure what you did there... as i have not had time to play the mod yet :P).

AlbusJC

• If you really love something let it go
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 2010-01-15 14:25:45 »
gjoerulv, are you going to do another release in the future or this is the final version of hardcore mode? I ask you this to know If I should install this version or to wait to another release  :-D