Author Topic: Modding FFVII, PSX version, requesting tips  (Read 7318 times)

Shademp

• View Profile
Modding FFVII, PSX version, requesting tips
« on: 2011-04-26 19:48:59 »
So far I've tried editing the field files of the PSX game by using Makou Reactor, but I am unable to compress the folders back into a working .img file. Tried Magic ISO Maker, but I can't get any of the .iso compressions working either when I try to run the game file.

Any tips on how to easily mod the PSX versions?

This would be easy if I could just replace old field files with edited ones in the .img file, but the computer won't let me perform this action and it's apparently impossible.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: Modding FFVII, PSX version, requesting tips
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-27 03:59:02 »
I haven't used Makou Reactor, so I can't say for sure, but...you can put the FIELD folder back into VII with Hack7.  Check the 'Tools' section of the 'Project' forums to find it.

Shademp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-27 12:45:55 »
After much work I finally managed to mod the PSX version. I first make a change in the field in Makou Reactor, then open the field directory in Hack7, save it to the iso (game) file and then play it.

Problem is though that only my version of the first Japanese release is a true .iso file. The others are.img and the files become unplayable if I convert them to .iso.

Thanks for the tip.

Shademp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-27 13:34:23 »
If I had the programming skills to combine the functions of Makou Reactor and Hack7 that would be awesome, but unfortunately this is not the case. I've searched the net for FF7 PSX Mod tools but I can find none. Playing a modded PSX version is much more convenient due to quick save states and the ability to fast-forward gameplay.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-27 15:59:17 »
I understand the desire to work with the PSX version, however I'm not entirely sure I understand what is taking place here.

You have some .isos and some .imgs and you cannot convert them?  Sounds like something some people here (Bosola, Gemini, prob others) might be able to help with.  Also, if you're working with the Japanese release, the assets available to you here on Qhimm will have sharply reduced in number.  Thirdly, for future reference, you should make use of the 'edit' or 'modify' buttons instead of double posting.  Honest mistake, but just fyi.

Out of curiosity, are you making actual field changes, as opposed to simple text changes in the PSX version?  I had toyed with the idea before, but had not actually tried.  If you've done this successfully, I may have to add another component to my Revisted mod...but maybe not because I would never finish it lol.

Shademp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-27 17:26:51 »
I personally only own the English PAL, and the two Japanese versions (original release and International).

I don't remember where I got the English NTSC .img file from (I know the Qhimm forum will not approve of this confession, but given the current situation I will order an actual physical copy of my own so please don't make a fuzz about this) and whenever I convert it to an .iso file I can't run it. I tried both simply changing the file type and using a converter but neither gave me a working game file.

However when I rip a game via Alcohol120% myself, it gives the desired .iso type file. This is why I can mod the first Japanese release; because I ripped it into an .iso file which is what Hack7 works with.
I want to be able to work with the English NTSC as well, and I'd rather avoid the PAL version as NTSC is my primary one.

To pick an example of a successful mod change, I viewed MTCRL_9 via Makou Reactor and activated a disabled border (border2) so that a hidden scene could be triggered. I believe this counts as "actual field changes".

The reason I want to be able to mod the game freely is because I am writing a series of articles about the unused text of FFVII.
http://thelifestream.net/final-fantasy-vii/8344/ffvii-the-unused-text-part-1/
However for the commentary to this article series to be complete I need to unlock and understand parts of the game that require more than just flag and plot progression value manipulation. This is partially why Part 2 is not online yet; I am experiencing technical difficulties with some unused scenes.

Though it seems Hack7 doesn't always want to accept a mod. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I don't believe it was meant for modding the field data aside from the text, but nevertheless I did manage to unlock the MTCRL_9 scene.

Hmm, I am usually very careful not to double post. It won't happen again.

EDIT: As I experiment more with this, it looks like using Hack7 to mod FFVII is more limited than I initially thought. After making some changes in MRKT3, trying to trigger Aeris' Script#9, Hack7 doesn't want to detect MRKT3 and not even display its text. It won't save the change into the .iso.
Which means that I'm stuck again.

SECOND EDIT: At least it allowed me to unlock the unused version of the "Cloud and Aeris goes to her house" scene. There is an unused version of that scene unfolding from the overhead perspective, in EALIN_1 rather than in EALIN_12.
But I noticed that whenever I use this MakouReactor->Hack7 method, all the text boxes of that field become messed up. They become way too thin. At first I thought that it was because, well, some of the text windows in the unused script ARE messed up in size. But this happens for every field in which I make an edit. There is some conflict going on between Hack7 and Makou Reactor.

I also noticed that when the size is limited this way, you can't move the pointer when there are dialogue options. You have no choice but to pick the default option.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-27 19:15:34 by Shademp »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-27 19:42:02 »
Well it seems you've arrived at the point where someone else will have to assist you, or you'll have to figure it out on your own.  I know there are people here that could provide some insight, I'm not just one of them.  Good Luck.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-27 19:59:46 »
...And I wish I could help. I've had very little experience dealing with the field files.

You might have to contact Lasyan about this. He knows best how Hack'7 and Makou reactor might conflict.

lasyan3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-28 06:21:23 »
This would be easy if I could just replace old field files with edited ones in the .img file, but the computer won't let me perform this action and it's apparently impossible.
Perhaps you should try my tool MassFieldUpdate ?

I don't remember where I got the English NTSC .img file from (I know the Qhimm forum will not approve of this confession, but given the current situation I will order an actual physical copy of my own so please don't make a fuzz about this) and whenever I convert it to an .iso file I can't run it. I tried both simply changing the file type and using a converter but neither gave me a working game file.
If you don't have an iso file but an img, you can try to load it with daemon tools, then use ImgBurn to make an iso from it. I use this tool to make isos and until now it served me well.

As I experiment more with this, it looks like using Hack7 to mod FFVII is more limited than I initially thought. After making some changes in MRKT3, trying to trigger Aeris' Script#9, Hack7 doesn't want to detect MRKT3 and not even display its text. It won't save the change into the .iso.
Which means that I'm stuck again.

Strange, I don't see why Hack7 doesn't detect the file anymore. Can you send me your MRKT3.DAT file, so I can check on my side ? Thanks.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-28 19:28:38 »
Wasn't aware of MassFieldUpdate, now I am.  Thanks.