Author Topic: Custom Materia?  (Read 5979 times)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Custom Materia?
« on: 2010-02-14 23:03:45 »
I've seen this done before, I can't remember the patch, but the guy made a Meteor materia and a Holy materia, with custom spells.  I would like to know how to do this, I have a few ideas on how to make this fun and useful.  I don't even need to know how to make my own spells, I just want to use some that are already in the game.  I just need to know how to go about creating the materia.  Can anybody enlighten me?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Materia?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-14 23:08:49 »
Wall Market is all you need. Srsly.

The only problem is that if you want completely new spells, you'll need to replace some old ones that you don't use.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-14 23:25:39 »
Wall Market is all you need. Srsly.

The only problem is that if you want completely new spells, you'll need to replace some old ones that you don't use.

Oh wow, just Wall Market?!  By completely new, do you mean ones that aren't in the game at all, or ones that the user can't obtain normally?

EDIT: also, would it be possible for me to make a new side quest, or at least change where the Materia is picked up?
« Last Edit: 2010-02-15 02:23:36 by cactusjack901 »

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-15 03:58:16 »
Sorry for the double post, but this is just another question.  How do I change an Attack ID?  I'm trying to replace a materia's spell with a spell that only an enemy can use.  I figured I'd just change the Attack's properties to exactly what the enemy's attack properties is.  Only problem is that just locks the game up, I figure this is unless I change the attack ID, which I don't seem to be able to do.  Can someone help me out with that?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-15 04:26:17 »
Sorry for the double post, but this is just another question.  How do I change an Attack ID?  I'm trying to replace a materia's spell with a spell that only an enemy can use.  I figured I'd just change the Attack's properties to exactly what the enemy's attack properties is.  Only problem is that just locks the game up, I figure this is unless I change the attack ID, which I don't seem to be able to do.  Can someone help me out with that?

The attack ID's are offset by a certain amount between items, player spells, and enemy spells. I think between Player and enemy spells the offset is x4E? somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but add x4E to the value you find for the enemy spell in ProudClod and it should work.

There's a nice text file with all the attack ID's floating somewhere around here that'll help you.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-02-15 04:30:39 »

The attack ID's are offset by a certain amount between items, player spells, and enemy spells. I think between Player and enemy spells the offset is x4E? somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but add x4E to the value you find for the enemy spell in ProudClod and it should work.

There's a nice text file with all the attack ID's floating somewhere around here that'll help you.

well that's not the problem.  The problem is that within WallMarket, I can't change the Attack ID at all.  Thanks for the note on having to add 4E to the Attack ID from ProudClod though.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-02-15 04:50:54 »
Sorry for the double post, but this is just another question.  How do I change an Attack ID?  I'm trying to replace a materia's spell with a spell that only an enemy can use.  I figured I'd just change the Attack's properties to exactly what the enemy's attack properties is.  Only problem is that just locks the game up, I figure this is unless I change the attack ID, which I don't seem to be able to do.  Can someone help me out with that?

well that's not the problem.  The problem is that within WallMarket, I can't change the Attack ID at all.  Thanks for the note on having to add 4E to the Attack ID from ProudClod though.

Oh, the attack ID's are static...think of them as like...indeces for an array of attacks. If you change the number, you're pointing to a different entry. You can change everything about the attack, including the animation, then re-arrange the attack ID's referenced by the materia. So like for instance, if you wanted to turn the "escape" spell into "holy" and make that it's own materia, you'd goto "escape", rename it to "holy" by double clicking the name, then input whatever info you want. (my holy: 64 FF 02 FF C8 00 FF FF 4A 01 4A 01 03 76 22 82 FF 87 FF FF 00 00 00 01 00 01 FD FD)

Then once you've finished customizing your spell, goto the materia tab, then goto the exit materia, and change the modifiers from "25, 26" to just "26" (no more escape, just remove), then change the materia growth from "100, 300" to just "300" (to make there only be one growth level, then a mastery level), then just choose an unused slot, name it holy, then choose the AP scheme, and at what level it learns holy. The tricky part is getting the new materia into the game. The easiest way is to just assign it to a character as initial equipment, but if that isn't good enough, you can do some hex editing to get it into a shop, or figure out meteor to place it somewhere on the map. I'd personally rather replace another materia than go though that, though, unless it was part of some thorough mod I was making.

Keep in mind that you can make new materia but you can't make new spells due to the fact that the "magic" command list is full. There's no room for any more spells (if you goto the "spell order" tab under "initial data", there seems to be two extra slots, but that data isn't actually read by the game).

Hope that helped!

EDIT: oh yeah and by the way, regarding your earlier question about side quests, although it's pretty daunting, if you can ever manage to master using Meteor (I haven't the slightest clue how to use it without making the game crash), you can change pretty much everything and anything. It's a very cool resource if used properly.
« Last Edit: 2010-02-15 04:55:23 by titeguy3 »

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-02-15 08:21:13 »
Alright, I kinda get what you mean, and by inputting those hex bits like that, it accomplishes exactly what I was doing before that was locking the game up.  I'm not so much looking as to create a new materia (although I may at some point), I'm looking to flat out replace one, specifically Hades.  If you want, I can contact you on AIM or MSN or something, and you can help me out one on one.  When I'm done with this, and a few other small tweaks and mods, I'm going to release them here, so I don't want to reveal what they are quite yet. So if you could help me in a more private manner, that would be great.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2010-02-15 15:52:47 »

Depends on the version. Find my thread on animation indexes for more info: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9277.0

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-02-15 17:52:41 »

Depends on the version. Find my thread on animation indexes for more info: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9277.0

Well that helped me a bunch, as far as understanding how this all works.  I think, I just tried and kinda... half...made what I'm trying to do work.  It no longer locks up the game, but it used the wrong animation =p

Also, I'm assuming by your chart that you can't quite replace Summons

EDIT: judging by the fact that summons make the game crash, and with a spell it does everything except...well...play the animation, this seems to be on the right track.  I would appreciate someone helping me though

EDIT 2: No, doesn't just play the animation, does nothing, game just locks up in a way.  Guess I'm gonna be sitting around playing with this for a while >=)

EDIT 3: Yep, problem is with the animation for the spells I wish to move from Enemy to Player.  For whatever reason, those animations won't work, but the spells themselves work just fine with different animations.  Unfortunately, the animations are what makes these spells so desired *pout*
« Last Edit: 2010-02-15 18:38:28 by cactusjack901 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 2010-02-16 00:37:08 »

Yes, you can. Summon animations come at the absolute indexes 4E to 5F. However, the models themselves do not appear. I should probably add this to the spreadsheets at some point.

For better results, have monsters using these spells directly summon the creatures, rather than trying to put together an appropriate spell with the right sort of animation.

Well that helped me a bunch, as far as understanding how this all works.  I think, I just tried and kinda... half...made what I'm trying to do work.  It no longer locks up the game, but it used the wrong animation =p

Some animations, even if inputted correctly, will still crash the emulator though.

EDIT 3: Yep, problem is with the animation for the spells I wish to move from Enemy to Player.  For whatever reason, those animations won't work, but the spells themselves work just fine with different animations.  Unfortunately, the animations are what makes these spells so desired *pout*

As I said, some don't work. Others fail in particular circumstances. For instance, the Adrenaline animation seems to never work, no matter what. By contrast, the Blue Light animation works fine for single-target spells, but will freeze the emulator if used for an all-target spell. As a rule, if an enemy uses it against a single character, it won't work as a multi-target spell - there are some exceptions though (such as Aero3)
« Last Edit: 2010-02-16 00:40:24 by Bosola »

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-02-16 00:55:42 »

Yes, you can. Summon animations come at the absolute indexes 4E to 5F. However, the models themselves do not appear. I should probably add this to the spreadsheets at some point.

For better results, have monsters using these spells directly summon the creatures, rather than trying to put together an appropriate spell with the right sort of animation.

Some animations, even if inputted correctly, will still crash the emulator though.

EDIT 3: Yep, problem is with the animation for the spells I wish to move from Enemy to Player.  For whatever reason, those animations won't work, but the spells themselves work just fine with different animations.  Unfortunately, the animations are what makes these spells so desired *pout*

As I said, some don't work. Others fail in particular circumstances. For instance, the Adrenaline animation seems to never work, no matter what. By contrast, the Blue Light animation works fine for single-target spells, but will freeze the emulator if used for an all-target spell. As a rule, if an enemy uses it against a single character, it won't work as a multi-target spell - there are some exceptions though (such as Aero3)

Well, first off, I'm modding the PC version.  However, you did just give me an idea with the multiple attack thing.   Perchance these attacks will display the animation if I set them for a single target.  We'll see, won't we =p