Author Topic: to much FFVII hate  (Read 33417 times)

yoshi314

• View Profile
Re: to much FFVII hate
« Reply #25 on: 2010-07-28 19:35:25 »
kefka is much more interesting, because he is much more random. he is an example of chaotic evil, while most ff villains are much more organized. this is what makes him so interesting.

also, his dialogue is hilarious. too bad most villains in ff are dead serious.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 2010-07-28 19:41:40 »
FF6 fanboys are the worst in the world. I'm aware that there are some people who love the game and have triple figure IQs, but generally, they're the most hateful, arrogant and butthurt group in the whole of videogame fandom, and the ones who are most likely to say that their favourite game is the best game EVAR! Nearly all of the most retarded "FF7 sucks because of [insert ridiculous or factually inaccurate reason here]" come from people who have Kefka in their usernames.

You son of motherMAKOing submariner!

Anyway, the only really decent villains in FF have been Kuja (Sephiroth done well - his actions directly tied to the broad themes of IX, and there's a nice symmetry with Zidane - see how Kuja becomes ever more childish, starts using juvenile lexis like 'gonna' whilst Zidane becomes more paternal in dealing with Vivi) and maybe Delita if you consider him such (I don't). Vayne would have worked if only FFXII wasn't so badly edited. Ultimecia is as hollow and blank as her face in the final battle, Yu Yevon's function and, indeed, the whole lore of FFX was impossible to discover without a copy of the Ultimania close by.

Of the Tactics Advance series, Mewt isn't particularly interesting, Illua is a blank cipher. Tactics could have been turned into a nice Renaissance play, actually, if you pose the church as Catholic and Delita as the first individualist in his society (early modern drama starts by posing 'self made men' fighting against far larger forces than the individual - social mores, genes, and even biology in Henry IV). I guess the relationship is actually the other way around.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-28 20:24:03 by Bosola »

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-07-29 05:55:18 »
... I'm sorry, but although I like kefka more than Barthandelus... I would say that Barthandelus was a much more interesting character of all villains....

He begs for death. I'm sorry, but if my memory serves me right no ff final boss/villain wants to be killed.

Anywho, I like Kefka as much as the next person, but I am sure that Kefka isn't making some miraculous comeback from the grave like Sephiroth did or still might.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #28 on: 2010-07-29 05:59:57 »
... I'm sorry, but although I like kefka more than Barthandelus... I would say that Barthandelus was a much more interesting character of all villains....

He begs for death. I'm sorry, but if my memory serves me right no ff final boss/villain wants to be killed.

Anywho, I like Kefka as much as the next person, but I am sure that Kefka isn't making some miraculous comeback from the grave like Sephiroth did or still might.

the way i understand it, as long as sephiroth holds on to his hatred, he can keep coming back

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-07-29 06:03:17 »
Which I don't want to see. I want to see some closure eventually and the way the DoC secret ending played out... we are gonna get a game with one of my more hated villains in Genesis.

I will say that it's not hard to defend yourself against ff7 haters... seriously look at my argument on the first page.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #30 on: 2010-07-29 07:14:26 »
Which I don't want to see. I want to see some closure eventually and the way the DoC secret ending played out... we are gonna get a game with one of my more hated villains in Genesis.

I will say that it's not hard to defend yourself against ff7 haters... seriously look at my argument on the first page.

all they need to do is find a way to make sephiroth not angry anymore :P seriousely, despite how evil he is, he is one of the villians who, due to his past, should be redeemable, albeit damn near impossible

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-07-29 08:02:46 »
No Sephiroth just needs to stay dead.

If he loses his "evil" then he ceases to be the character he is.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-07-29 18:31:17 »
I'm on the Tomb Raider forums, and they have a section for other video games. One thread that someone made was about what would it be like if Cloud and Lara met. Here's what some of them said:

She'd kick his overrated ass back to the FF series where he belongs. Sorry don't like him at all.

Lara: Excuse me, could you point to the right direction? I am looking for The Lost City. (Sorry, don't know the name. )

Cloud: *Is Emo.*

Lara: Excuse me..

Cloud: *Glares at Lara.*

Lara: Her face is like O:
*Shoots cloud.*
"They never learn. (:"

TBH, he looks like a girl.  :)

*imagines Lara performing Omnislash whilst Cloud leaps about in booty shorts and a tanktop*

That's only a few, there's a lot more in the general ff thread. But they mostly say that FFVII is "overrated". At one point, some guy was suggesting that it needs to die and be forgotten about.

Tbh, there are a lot of people around who take it waaaaayy to seriously. Usually, the people who are raving on and on about it being the best rpg ever, haven't actually played another rpg. So...they wouldnt know. I think thats the cause of the problem.

Oh, and I think theres people that hate it just for the hell of it, they can't come up with a good reason apart from "Cloud is emo".

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-07-29 18:39:50 »
I find that the people who call FF7 overrated tend to be fans of games that are overrated themselves. There was a time when Tomb Raider was HUGE; Lara Croft was the only video game character other than Sonic and Mario who ever gained mainstream success (something Cloud has never achieved). I didn't see the appeal in it.

Maybe they're just butthurt because FF7 has kept its popularity for longer than Tomb Raider! ;D

Tbh, there are a lot of people around who take it waaaaayy to seriously. Usually, the people who are raving on and on about it being the best rpg ever, haven't actually played another rpg. So...they wouldnt know. I think thats the cause of the problem.

That sounds like one of the accusations that FF7 haters throw at FF7 fans; it's just not true. There may be a larger proportion of FF7 fans who have never played another RPG than, say, FF6 or Chrono Trigger fans, but they're still a tiny minority. I've seen a lot of fans of those games who are convinced that FF7 fans have never played any other RPGs because they actually think it's impossible for anyone to play both FF7 and the game they like and not come to the conclusion that FF7 is inferior, as if it's an objective and undeniable truth that their favourite game is better. I'm not making this shit up, it's what some people actually believe.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-07-29 18:49:45 »
It's nice that people have an opinion of the game, just a lot of them seem quite harsh about it.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-07-29 19:02:51 »
In nearly all cases, it's not an opinion about the game at all. A lot of those FF7 haters will eventually admit that they thought FF7 was a good game. Their opinions are usually about the game's popularity or the game's fanbase, which they confuse with the game itself. This is completely retarded.

I happen to think that GTA4 does not deserve to be more popular than Valkyria Chronicles. Do you see me saying that GTA4 is crap? No. If the subject were ever to be brought up, I hope I would complain only about the popularity difference, not the game itself.

I happen to hate the FF6 fanbase. Some of them are fine, but the majority seem to have a hatred of FF7 so severe that they come across as mentally ill, and they are often even more fawning and excessive in their praise than they accuse FF7 fans of being. Do I ever say that FF6 is a crap game? No. I think that it has a poor villain and some slightly immature storytelling, and is too easy (as is FF7), but will readily admit that it's a good game overall. I had fun playing it.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #36 on: 2010-07-29 19:20:57 »
calm down travis, i was simply meaning that that seems to be the only way to make sephiroth stay dead

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-07-29 19:50:27 »
I was never getting angry Jaitsu :mrgreen:

Oh well, I don't see any FF6 sequels coming in the near future.

I guess FF7's story was so much better than 6's that we could pump out some sequels/prequels... although many are sub-par.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-07-30 01:34:26 »
I think I'm one of the few people who have enjoyed everything thus far in the compilation.  Just some things more than others.  I also think there's a depth to the story of FF VII that I can't find in any other game.  I dunno what it is.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-07-30 02:47:23 »
I also think there's a depth to the story of FF VII that I can't find in any other game.  I dunno what it is.

I understand what you're saying.  For me, I think it was that on your first playthrough (of many ;)), FF7 had those plot twists that simply blew your mind.  You knew that Sephiroth had some sort of voodoo power over Cloud, but it was groundbreaking to discover that Cloud had a completely misconstrued memory and sense of identity.  Plus the fact that Sephiroth actually had been dead for five years and was active in the game purely through brainpower.

Meanwhile, everything in FF6 was so dead predictable.  The only thing that really surprised me was when I found out that Relm is Shadow's daughter.

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-07-30 03:31:16 »
Meanwhile, everything in FF6 was so dead predictable.  The only thing that really surprised me was when I found out that Relm is Shadow's daughter.

... WHAT!?

Jk

Either way, FF6 could use a spinoff on Shadow. Hell, they could do a "crisis core" for him if anything.

ANYWHO....

I miss the feeling FF7 gave me when I first popped it in and played it through for the first time. Back when I was 6 years old and reading came easy to me!

Sadly, some people think that because it was played early i my childhood, I just throught it was "flashy" , so I got hooked that way. Okay, I am going to end this before I go off into that. Basically what I am trying to say is that it's a rarity anymore to get that feeling when playing a game. The last game that gave me it was Final Fantasy 13 and before that... I would have to say Final Fantasy Anthology.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-07-30 06:11:03 »
I miss the feeling FF7 gave me when I first popped it in and played it through for the first time. Back when I was 6 years old and reading came easy to me!

I think that's a large part of it for me too.  It was the first BIG game that I played...  Or rather, Big and new.  I mean, I was destroying Super Mario Bros. for years before that (I was 8 when FF VII came out, and was brought up right, with an NES controller in my hands)

Travis

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-08-15 17:43:09 »
And most of the people who think FF6 is the best are just FF7 haters, only a few of them actually seem to make sense most of the time.

FF6 fanboys are the worst in the world. I'm aware that there are some people who love the game and have triple figure IQs, but generally, they're the most hateful, arrogant and butthurt group in the whole of videogame fandom, and the ones who are most likely to say that their favourite game is the best game EVAR! Nearly all of the most retarded "FF7 sucks because of [insert ridiculous or factually inaccurate reason here]" come from people who have Kefka in their usernames.

I once had an argument with a FF6 fanboy, not on which game was better, but on whether the opinions of FF7 fans are worth as much as those of FF6 fans. He came out with almost every logical fallacy, sophistic technique and form of conformation bias that had a name (and he probably created a few new ones), and refused to admit either that FF7 fans were allowed to have an opinion or that it was not an objective truth that FF6 was better than FF7. I eventually gave up and called him an idiot. He whined to the admins. I cut my stay at that forum short. ::)

Oh, my god I just had a small conversation with a user today on newgrounds. Over there I am known as Liquify, but I just had to show you all this.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1190262

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-08-15 17:53:32 »
Typical idiocy. I love the way that one bloke calls FF7 overrated and then praises FF6 and FF9. FF6 is the most overrated game in the series ;D

Although I suppose it's going to appeal to people with low IQs who find FF7 a little hard to understand. FF9 and FF6 are the two fgames that are most obviously designed to appeal to children.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-08-15 18:29:13 »
I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying FFVI sucks...that is all.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-08-15 18:32:45 »
I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying FFVI sucks

I don't think you will ;D

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-08-15 19:50:13 »
[just noticed 2-page trollbait thread]

Don't all threads like this just end on a mutual agreement that more recent FF games suck? (i.e. everything after X)

I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying FFVI sucks...that is all.
I liked it. It certainly wasn't as captivating as some of the others, and the game mechanics had some serious problems, but I still enjoyed it enough to almost beat it before tiring of it.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010-08-15 20:54:21 »
Just noticed this thread myself... ...Trollbait, indeed.

Anyway, I was (am ?) a FFVI fan (fanboy ?). My first FF was FFVI, and after beating FFVII for the first time, I have to admit I was left with a sour taste in my mouth. At the time, I didn't know the series was all about change, and I couldn't get over the fact that the characters were so alike. Where were my Tools, my Rages, my Blitzes, my multi-parties dungeons, my 4 characters teams, and my non-linear second world-map ?!... ...Not to mention the fact that musics in FFVI were of higher quality...

But, as time went on, FFVII grew on me quite a bit - so now, I think I like them just as much. One of the reasons being the fact that I played FFVI way too much for one lifetime. You can call me a FFXII / FFXIII hater though.

I think that if there are FF games to hate, it's certainly not VI or VII since they're among the best (with FFX).

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-08-15 20:55:51 »
Just take it as a compliment. FF7 has made people more butthurt than any video game in history

I though that title went to FFVIII or FFX

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-08-15 23:30:37 »
Don't all threads like this just end on a mutual agreement that more recent FF games suck? (i.e. everything after X)

Can't we agree that all Final Fantasy games ever made suck? Or that all games suck? Or that everything sucks? That's how discussion works on the internet. You can trash things as much as you want, but if you dare say something good about anything, you'll meet the rage of a thousand burning suns. ;D