Author Topic: Competition: find the butthurt fanboys!  (Read 26083 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Competition: find the butthurt fanboys!
« on: 2009-08-19 23:26:42 »
It's well known that the phenomenal success of FF7 has lead to unprecedented amounts of butthurt amongst the fanboys of less popular games, and continues to do so. Even the bloke from the "1 guy 1 jar" video does not suffer from rectal pain as bad as some of the FF7 fan haters out there. Naturally, this butthurt has led to a lot of stupid things being said on the interwebs during arguments as to whether FF7's success is justified.

What I propose is that people post the most hilarious, factually incorrect, ridiculous or rage-inducing comments made by the surprising amount of people who seem to dedicate their life to proving that FF7 is worse than the Holocaust. These comments can be found in the usual places: poorly spelt reviews, forum posts and (especially) YouTube comments.

A few of the more bizarre criticisms I have come across are:

FF7 isn't a real Final Fantasy because it doesn't have crystals!

FF7 is bad because it has an environmental message!

FF7's crystal theme is bad because it's techno!

FF7 fanboys are stuck in the past!

The last one doesn't seem very strange, until one realises that it came up in a FF6 vs FF7 argument. Obviously, one is stuck in the past for liking a PSX game released in 1997, but not for liking a SNES game released in 1994. It's quite often that one sees such criticisms from fans of games which are even worse offenders; the fans genuinely do not see the irony. If this competition doesn't end up dying pathetically with only a few responses, we could end up doing to FF7 hatedom what fstdt did for religious fundamentalism.

P.S. I realise that this topic could be seen as baiting; that is an unfortunate consequence of what I'm doing rather than the main point.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-10 22:30:14 by Kudistos Megistos »

Re: Competition: find the butthurt fanboys!
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-20 00:18:16 »

Seriously... they are.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-20 01:04:12 »
FF7 isn't a real Final Fantasy because it doesn't have crystals!

Um... what? I see lots of crystals....

FF7 is bad because it has an environmental message!

All of them do don't they? In some form or another they're all sending some sort of message...

FF7's crystal theme is bad because it's techno!

Wooooow.... that one sounds reeeaaalll intelligent there... I can't even come up with a word to explain how ridiculous it is...

So...  it seems that, as a whole, people who hate FF7... hate FF7 because its FF7... no other reason... Kind of like how I hate anime that becomes mainstream simply because I never hear about anything else... but at least I'm honest about it...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-20 01:19:57 »
Hating FF7 because it made Final Fantasy (and JRPGs in general) mainstream in the West seems quite common. A lot of people hate its mainstream popularity because they enjoyed the feeling of liking something esoteric that allowed them to look down on common games. There's also a certain cachet to liking something before it was popular.

I think that some FF7 hatedom comes from people wanting to show that they are hardcore FF/JRPG fans. FF7 is the most well-known JRPG by far and is likely to be the first one that casual gamers think of. In the minds of some, this means that it is contaminated by this association with casual gamers and a rejection of it shows that one is not casual, but hardcore. This behaviour isn't limited to RPG fans; I'd say it's quite common for communities that see themselves as hardcore fans of a genre in any artistic medium to act in a snobbish manner to people who say that they like the most popular game/band/whatever from that genre.

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-20 01:26:54 »
I only really hate the mainstream the retards never shutup about.... like bleach naruto and occasionally one piece...

Also a lot of US gamers are surprisingly prejudice about Jp games in general... Then again I find US games tend to lack substance... not European games and definitely not the higher end Jp games... though I will be honest... a lot of Jp games utterly suck... but then the majority of cheaper games suck... as do a fair number of popular games, which only succeed due to blind fandom... I think part of the FF hate comes from believing FF fans only like FF because of that same type of blind fandom.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-20 01:39:43 »
I only really hate the mainstream the retards never shutup about.... like bleach naruto and occasionally one piece...

I watch mostly moeblob stuff, so I can't comment on them :-D

Also a lot of US gamers are surprisingly prejudice about Jp games in general... Then again I find US games tend to lack substance... not European games and definitely not the higher end Jp games... though I will be honest... a lot of Jp games utterly suck... but then the majority of cheaper games suck... as do a fair number of popular games, which only succeed due to blind fandom... I think part of the FF hate comes from believing FF fans only like FF because of that same type of blind fandom.

I think that there has been a general backlash against fans of Japanese culture in the West over the past few years, with people trying to justify their behaviour by implying that anyone who watches anime or likes Japanese games is a weeaboo who thinks everything Japanese is superior, shouts "baka" at people IRL and turns up to school cosplaying as Haruhi before doing the Hare Hare Yukai in the middle of the classroom. Interestingly, a lot of the criticism of FF7 revolves around the belief that FF7 is the only game with obsessive fanboys. I'd actually say that (bearing in mind one expects a game with more fans to have more fanboys), FF7 isn't unusual at all in this regard. And at least most of our fanboys are of the "my game rocks!" kind rather than the "your game sucks!" kind. The latter is far worse, but the former seem to make people much more angry. I've never understood why.

BTW, I've just received an interesting comment on one of my YouTube videos:

Quote from: chenierchenier
KEFKA own Sephiroth

Hail Kefka! ! ! HAIL

The video has nothing to do with Kefka at all; there's no reason to bring that up. However, this is probably a troll (judging by the comments on his channel); perhaps this man saw my thread? :-P
« Last Edit: 2009-08-20 01:52:42 by Kudistos Megistos »

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-20 02:11:27 »
Well.. I'll admit to yelling All hail Queen Zeal upon leaving my college classes on occasion... I make no effort to claim I am not a fanboy, but I do try not to be one in an obvious way.

And... moeblob?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-20 02:15:01 »
Well.. I'll admit to yelling All hail Queen Zeal upon leaving my college classes on occasion

reactionimage.jpg  :-D

And... moeblob?

Anime whose main selling point is moe; I'm currently watching Ichigo Mashimaro, which is a classic example. Moeblob is usually used as a criticism, but I enjoy that kind of anime, so meh :roll:

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-08-20 08:24:27 »
Most of the Final Fantasy arguments I've seen are Kefka versus Sephiroth.  Half the arguers are completely uninformed.

I read a youtube comment where one person says that Kefka didn't need any help to tear the world apart, whereas Sephiroth needed to use the Black Materia.  I don't think this guy played Final Fantasy VI, because Kefka was powerless in the beginning.  He became more powerful by absorbing magicite.  And in the end, he only managed to tear the world apart using the power of the Warring Triad, which he wouldn't have gotten close to doing were it not for Gestahl.

I only just recently played FFVI for the very first time and was completely unimpressed by Kefka.  I just don't understand why he gets so much fanboyism.  Though I should do well to stay out of this thread because I'm something of a Sephiroth fanboy myself, and if anyone tries to put him down, I'll tear him to pieces like a cougar!

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #9 on: 2009-08-20 08:26:09 »
Most of the Final Fantasy arguments I've seen are Kefka versus Sephiroth.  Half the arguers are completely uninformed.

I read a youtube comment where one person says that Kefka didn't need any help to tear the world apart, whereas Sephiroth needed to use the Black Materia.  I don't think this guy played Final Fantasy VI, because Kefka was powerless in the beginning.  He became more powerful by absorbing magicite.  And in the end, he only managed to tear the world apart using the power of the Warring Triad, which he wouldn't have gotten close to doing were it not for Gestahl.

I only just recently played FFVI for the very first time and was completely unimpressed by Kefka.  I just don't understand why he gets so much fanboyism.  Though I should do well to stay out of this thread because I'm something of a Sephiroth fanboy myself, and if anyone tries to put him down, I'll tear him to pieces like a cougar!
hmm, then i think u will love my avatar lol  :-D

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-08-20 08:34:33 »
Uh, NO!  Look how short that sword is!  It's like a butter knife :x

Maybe blood and gore just isn't my thing, but I don't like it when Cloud gets hurt.  I've room in my heart for him as well.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #11 on: 2009-08-20 08:35:09 »

Maybe blood and gore just isn't my thing, but I don't like it when Cloud gets hurt.  I've room in my heart for him as well.
lol (oh for fucks sake)

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-08-20 08:49:43 »
This is ever so slightly off-topic, but I found this youtube comment, which I thought was funny.

i just love how hot Sethiroth is, and I serioulsly wanna know what's up with the whole mother thing? LOL
Oh, I've got something to ask ya, is Sethirotha vampire or something? Because my cousin and i were talking about ff7, he said someone was a vampire in the game, i've never actually played it, by i think it's sethiroth, i've seen the anime and the way he talks i think he could be the vampire

Here's another youtube comment we are all used to seeing:

Kefka would kick Sephiroth's ass. Sephiroth must die.

And here, we have some random person bragging about how unintelligent he is:

Oh god, Sephiroth is such a horrible villian. LOL LOOK AT MY HUGE KATANA AND LONG HAIR LOLOLOL.

He's not even the main villian fffff, Jenova is. He's just a whiny mama's boy with a black overcoat.

Also, he didn't even stab aeris, he was too busy being frozen. It was his clone.

Plus he dies like a wuss. Most overrated villian ever.

EDIT: Sorry for excessive quoting, but I just thought I'd add...

Seriously... they are.

Well, the past is a better place...
« Last Edit: 2009-08-20 08:52:55 by The Seer of Shadows »

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #13 on: 2009-08-20 08:53:30 »
i think i remember reading the last comment ROFL

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-08-20 08:54:52 »
It was probably posted in a million other places.  I find it sad when people do that.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-08-20 13:24:13 »
The "vampire" he was reffering to was vincent as he sleeps in a coffin, wears a long red cape, defies physics by floating when he jumps, doesn't age, etc.

and LOL to all of the sephy haters.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-08-20 15:19:08 »
Besides all the blatant factual inaccuracies about their stroylines and personalities, there are two things that constantly amuse me about Kefka vs Sephiroth b*tchfests:

1. People seem to assume the only measures of a good villain are his kill count and his power level. It's like 5-year-olds saying that Superman is better than Batman because Superman would win in a fight, and completely ignores all the things that really make a good villain. PROTIP: killing lots of people isn't one of them; it doesn't take much creativity to think up a bad guy who's mindlessly evil and practically invincible.

2. The assumption that if Kefka is better than Sephiroth, FF6 is better than FF7. That's right folks, the measure of a good game is how strong the villain is. [trolling]I think they believe that because so much FF6 fandom revolves around Kefka, most FF7 fandom revolves around Sephiroth. This is untrue; FF7 has a lot more going for it than the antagonist.[/trolling]

EDIT:

I also love the hideous over-use of the word overrated; it's like when children learn to swear for the first time and use the new words they've learnt at every opportunity. "Overrated" isn't an objective criticism. It isn't even a subjective criticism. It's a judgement. It basically means "it's bad, but lots of people think it's good". Overrated is an overrated word.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-20 15:22:54 by Kudistos Megistos »

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-08-20 16:33:55 »

lol (oh for f***s sake)
:lol: Is this going to become a qhimm meme?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-08-20 16:37:04 »
oh for f***s sake

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-08-20 16:49:53 »
1 goes for everything that has a cult following. Go to any geek-related convention and you'll see.

2 goes for everything that comes out of Japan.

3 is a criticism of Squeenix, not FF7.

4 contains that very overrated word. oh for f***s sake. :-P
« Last Edit: 2009-08-20 20:18:34 by Kudistos Megistos »

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #20 on: 2009-08-20 20:15:42 »
oh for fucks sake

lol (oh for f***s sake)
:lol: Is this going to become a qhimm meme?
you bet it is!  :-D

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-08-20 22:33:06 »
As much as I love not just FF7, but FF in general, I honestly do think that cosplayers could find something more worthwhile to do with their time.  They could just stay at home and play the game, or they could actually contribute to society, but no, they must make the game a part of society.

Point being that cosplayers make me sad.  Sorry to be mean.

S.Almasy

« Reply #22 on: 2009-08-21 00:06:35 »
I spent a lot of time talking to such people once.  The common trend seems to be that they are annoyed that

a.  FF7 is outdoing FF6 (which defined their upbringing) and
b.  it isn't on the Nintendo.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-08-21 00:12:55 »
...and another criticism of FF7's fanbase is that they only like 7 because it was their first Final Fantasy. Psychological projection, perhaps?

This reminds me, I once came across someone who said that the opinion of anyone whose first FF was 7 (about 99% of European fans) is to be instantly disregarded. He didn't imply it, he actually said it (not in those exact words, but in ones just as clear and shameless).

BTW, it may seem that I'm singling out FF6 fans here. I'm not, and there are many FF6 fans who are perfectly reasonable people, but it is true that a lot of this stuff does come from people with Kefka in their username.

EDIT:

I've just looked at the gamefaqs reviews of FF7, and one of the reviewers has a Kefka username. Guess what he calls FF7? Overrated. Guess what he says about FF6 "Best game EVER!" (yes, he actually says that). It's so predictable. Of course, FF7 is the only game with fanboys... :roll:
« Last Edit: 2009-08-21 00:42:48 by Kudistos Megistos »

« Reply #24 on: 2009-08-21 00:59:56 »
FF7 fanboys need to play more games -- specifically games that aren't limited exclusively to the PS1 console -- before they run their mouths off.  Don't get me wrong, I think FF7 is a great game, but...... bleh...  I think it should be quite obvious that there are games of greater entertainment than FF7.  I mean, the game has been out for over a decade...