Author Topic: Thoughts About -Final Fantasy- DISSIDIA!  (Read 39706 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Thoughts About DISSIDA
« Reply #75 on: 2009-10-08 20:09:50 »
Also, surely Zidane is pronounced like the name of the head-butting French footballer?

That's probably why they say it differently. :(

And WHY, in the whole of Kingdom Hearts, is Vivi the only representative of FFIX?! At least as far as I know this is true.

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2009-10-08 20:44:48 »
Maybe the whole names were do to bad transaltion? Spelt perfectly but said differently.  Zidanes name REALLY bothered me, special the way Squall's voice actor says it....xD

I literally RAPED Kefka in Terra's story.

Literally?

This I have to see!

I always knew Terra was into femdom :-P

I've been trying out Terra but I want to level her a little, ad of course Terra is into a femdon :P

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #77 on: 2009-10-08 23:00:19 »
And WHY, in the whole of Kingdom Hearts, is Vivi the only representative of FFIX?! At least as far as I know this is true.
As far as i know, Nomura was never supposed to put in any characters from FFIX. I read once that he said he "took a gamble" or something similar when he added setzer and Vivi, because they were characters that he didn't design. I guess they needed a couple of filler characters for a sort of comedic value in the struggle tournament rounds, and they were strapped for character ideas, hence Vivi made a cameo.
...i think.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2009-10-08 23:26:13 »
Back to the topic of Dissidia, I stumbled upon this during a google search the other day :-D

The link goes to another forum, where they've been talking about mishearing the battle quotes in the English version of Dissidia.  For instance, Exdeath saying "Get the fruit!", or "Tasty arrow!", or Jecht making Chewbacca noises.  Some of it's pretty funny :lol:

And I believe when they added Vivi to KHII, they made him possessed by a nobody because it parallels the storyline of FFIX in some way... though that is just something I read, and I haven't played FFIX.  I seem to recall coming across that on the Kingdom Hearts Wiki.

One thing I found interesting about Kingdom Hearts is how they distort the personalities of the Final Fantasy characters.  They don't change them completely, but still.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2009-10-09 01:52:33 »
Back to the topic of pronunciations,

Tifa = Tee-fuh

Mako = May-ko

Yuffie = You-fee  (I too pronounced it Yuh-fee, but the new pronunciation has grown on me  :-P)

Zidane = Zie-DANE (Dane being stressed because there is no way ANYONE can get "dahn" out of Zidane)

Tidus = Tie-dus  (off the top of my head, I can't think of any examples in English where a lone 'i' makes and 'ee' sound)

Ultimecia = Ul-tih-mee-see-ah

Chocobo = Cho-ko-bo

Arguments are welcome  :-)

Oh, almost forgot one
Aerith = Ehr-es  lol

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2009-10-09 03:06:29 »
I'm used to pronouncing Ultimecia "Ul-teh-meh-see-ah", but in Dissidia, they pronounce it "Ul-tih-mee-sha".

Zidane is pronounced "Zi-dahn".  Tidus is pronounced "Tee-dis".  Neither of these sound right, but that's the way they've done it.

I've seen a youtube comment once that said "contrary to popular belief", Sephiroth is pronounced "Sef-er-roth", not "Sep-her-roth".  I mean, he's right about the real pronunciation... but was that EVER the "popular belief"?  I'm pretty sure it wasn't...

I would've thought pronouncing Yuffie "You-fee" would be a given... perhaps I was wrong.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #81 on: 2009-10-09 03:33:43 »
I don't like "tee-des" nor "mah-ko". I prefer "Tie-dus" and "May-ko".  :-)

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2009-10-09 05:43:47 »
We didn't know how to pronounce Tidus's name for a while because they never said it in the voiceovers of FFX!! :x :x :x

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #83 on: 2009-10-09 05:53:45 »
We didn't know how to pronounce Tidus's name for a while because they never said it in the voiceovers of FFX!! :x :x :x
True dude. But Tie-dus sounds better now doesn't it?  :-D

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2009-10-09 09:36:52 »
I've always thought that it MUST be "Tide-us".  So like, you can hear the word "tide" in there.  I've always associated Tidus with water, since he is one of the three "underwater" characters, he's a professional aquatic sport player, and his Brotherhood weapon, when powered up, deals water-elemental damage.

Similarly, I associate nearly all Final Fantasy characters with elements.  It's a strange habit, come to think of it.

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2009-10-09 11:35:32 »
i always prenouced tifa with the a sound like the a in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah but then short. wich is the way the a is prenounced in dutch. Wich sounds the same as people eventually prenounced her name in advent children. so i was happy.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2009-10-09 20:16:48 »
The link goes to another forum, where they've been talking about mishearing the battle quotes in the English version of Dissidia.
i could have sworn i heard warrior of light say the  f-word during some moves. now, that was pretty bizarre ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzN4KKUp2IY at 0:04 - 0:06 .

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2009-10-09 23:05:01 »
Oh f*** I think he does say it  :lol:

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2009-10-10 02:01:15 »
Typical of an uncivilized warrior :-P

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #89 on: 2009-10-13 15:38:36 »
I'm used to pronouncing Ultimecia "Ul-teh-meh-see-ah", but in Dissidia, they pronounce it "Ul-tih-mee-sha".

I'm still burned by the whole "Lue-cre-tzi-a" thing from DoC. I always thought it was "Lue-cree-sha" BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT'S SPELLED!!!!
"Ul-tih-mee-sha" I can see, but I still think the way you do.

Tidus being "tee-duhs" I can almost understand because he's named "Teeda" (more-or-less) in Japanese. It's too close to the ancient roman "Titus" which I've always heard pronounced "tie-dus" because of my Southern US drawl.

This is my biggest problem with VAing. They almost never pronounce words the way I've been thinking them in my head for years. Although TotA got "sentient" correct, at least. Johnny Yong Bosh VAs good, but he shouldn't have given in when they told him to say "tee-duhs". At least he's not pausing every four words like Cloud.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #90 on: 2009-10-13 16:38:27 »
I'm still burned by the whole "Lue-cre-tzi-a" thing from DoC. I always thought it was "Lue-cree-sha" BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT'S SPELLED!!!!
Just to throw this out there, for some reason, i always thought it was "lue-cree-see-a", probably because i was a little kid when i first played FF7 and the name just stuck.

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2009-10-13 23:38:01 »
For me its

Tidus = Tea-Dus
Tifa = Tea-Fa
Zidane = Za-da-n     (Da+N = like Cane just with a D instead of a C)
Mako = May-Ko

And just to through this out there:

VIVI IS THE DEATH!!!!!! Should have put him in Dissdia :P

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2009-10-14 01:05:28 »
I've always thought that it MUST be "Tide-us".  So like, you can hear the word "tide" in there.  I've always associated Tidus with water, since he is one of the three "underwater" characters, he's a professional aquatic sport player, and his Brotherhood weapon, when powered up, deals water-elemental damage.

Similarly, I associate nearly all Final Fantasy characters with elements.  It's a strange habit, come to think of it.

Don't feel bad, i always thought thats what it was, then i played kingdom hearts and he said tea-dus and i thought "Waahh? haha

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts About -Final Fantasy- DISSIDIA!
« Reply #93 on: 2009-10-14 01:31:39 »
well given the trend, terra, cloud squall, having tide incorporated in his name would fit a trend of natural based names, water too if you exclude terra