Author Topic: [REQUEST, I guess] A few things  (Read 9496 times)

zoostation

• All glory to the Hypnotoad
    • View Profile
[REQUEST, I guess] A few things
« on: 2011-07-05 03:03:19 »
[PC VERSION -- if there's something equivalent for PSX I guess it's worth noting.]

I consider this more a general inquiry as to mods' existence or feasibility than an actual request that anyone make them, but if something strikes your fancy I'd obviously be thrilled.
Apologies in advance if any of the items I'm about to describe are so easily accessible as to make my query unnecessary.

The Menu Overhaul contains kranmer's Save/PHS Anywhere -- are these available in a patch of their own?

A couple items about limit breaks:
1. Can it be made so that, when the limit meter is full, you can still choose a regular attack? I don't mean always having the choice between the two, like the Limit Always Full feature in kranmer's trainer, I'd just prefer sometimes to keep using regular attacks and save the limit break until I need it.
2. Could the four levels of limit breaks be combined in one menu (in battle), so when the meter is full your character gets up to seven choices how to use it?

How difficult would it be to expand the party beyond three people? It might get hectic, but I'm curious what it would be like to battle with the whole cast at once.

Have any avatars been made that are 3D renderings of the original ones, rather than Advent Children screencaps?

Has anyone designed (from scratch - not ripped) a Crisis Core Aeris field and/or battle model?

I realize it's kind of lame to just ask people to do things, so if anything above doesn't exist but seems simple enough, feel free to point me in the right direction to do it myself, bearing in mind that I have zero experience (i.e. explain things to me like I'm a child).
« Last Edit: 2011-07-15 17:11:49 by zoostation »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
Re: [REQUEST, I guess] A few things
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-05 18:18:31 »
i don't remember where, but there used to be a trainer i'd use to let me save anywhere i wanted to.

zoostation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-05 20:00:56 »
Probably kranmer's.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9890.0
But do I have to run it through the trainer? I don't need (or really want) any of the other features. Not to undervalue anyone's hard work, but I wish some of these mods gave me more freedom to pick and choose the tweaks I want to install. Though so far I've been able to configure most of them to my liking after installation.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-05 20:04:13 by zoostation »

nickblames

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-05 20:04:43 »
I second the request for those first two; those would be awesome.

For the Attack/Limit, maybe something like how it auto scrolls back and forth when you have both 4X-Cut and Slash-All materias equipped?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-08 08:54:19 »
Have any avatars been made that are 3D renderings of the original ones, rather than Advent Children screencaps?

I could go for this.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-08 12:21:44 »
1. Can it be made so that, when the limit meter is full, you can still choose a regular attack? I don't mean always having the choice between the two, like the Limit Always Full feature in kranmer's trainer, I'd just prefer sometimes to keep using regular attacks and save the limit break until I need it.

I suppose this is possible, but that causes another set of conflicts. The battle menu is only set to show 12 commands and with magic, summon, M.Command and E.Skill materia, there's no where for the limit menu to go. Someone that's more skilled with menu manipulation could make it an attached menu like the "change" and "defend" commands are.

2. Could the four levels of limit breaks be combined in one menu (in battle), so when the meter is full your character gets up to seven choices how to use it?

Again, possible, but it would take someone more skilled in menu manip. This is probably easier than adding a new menu.

How difficult would it be to expand the party beyond three people? It might get hectic, but I'm curious what it would be like to battle with the whole cast at once.

I can definitely say this would be impossible. So many things in this game depend on there only being three battle party members that making a mod would be harder than re-writing it from scratch.

Has anyone designed (from scratch - not ripped) a Crisis Core Aeris field and/or battle model?

Both of these are "I think so, but I couldn't point you to them."

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-09 14:28:46 »
The Menu Overhaul contains kranmer's Save/PHS Anywhere -- are these available in a patch of their own?

Well i am sure i posted the save/phs anywhere patch here somewhere before but after searching i couldn't find it so maybe i didn't, well if you want it here is the save/phs anywhere
http://www.mediafire.com/?5390f4a2ucnxzr5
also some virus scanners may detect this as a virus, it ISNT A VIRUS, its just a false positive.

Jaki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-09 14:45:50 »
« Last Edit: 2014-06-19 13:26:32 by Jaki »

shadowfox

• Hold My Beer
    • View Profile
    • Shadowfox Productions
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-09 18:49:25 »

Doesn't the game mechanic lock you into a choice of level before battle? 1 2 3 4? Also doesn't that choice clear your limit bar every time you change? That would be awkward in battle to change levels lose your limit break then have to wait again to use it.

zoostation

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-10 02:24:28 »
Thanks for the answers! Further details on the "I think so..."s are welcome.
And thanks to kranmer for the patch link!

The battle menu is only set to show 12 commands and with magic, summon, M.Command and E.Skill materia, there's no where for the limit menu to go. Someone that's more skilled with menu manipulation could make it an attached menu like the "change" and "defend" commands are.

The attached menu idea was the way I had been thinking, though I liked the suggestion someone else had of making it alternate back and forth, like when you have two attack-altering command materia equipped simultaneously.

Doesn't the game mechanic lock you into a choice of level before battle? 1 2 3 4? Also doesn't that choice clear your limit bar every time you change? That would be awkward in battle to change levels lose your limit break then have to wait again to use it.

Yeah, I guess removing that restriction -- the assignment of limits into four levels, only one of which can be selected at a time -- would be kind of inherent to the idea.

zoostation

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-14 20:25:13 »
So if I wanted to make those two limit break modifications, I'd have to dive into the exe code, wouldn't I? I don't see how I can use any of the existing tools to 1. Add "Attack" to a full-limit battle menu, or 2. Group all limits under one level instead of split up over four.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-14 21:54:02 »
Yes you would need to recode

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-15 04:25:25 »
Yes you would need to recode

How does one recode the exe?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-15 04:31:31 »
Need to know assembly language to a reasonable standard to do what you need to do, then need to download a disassembler to edit with and finally a hex editor to make changes to the exe.

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-15 05:21:11 »
Need to know assembly language to a reasonable standard to do what you need to do, then need to download a disassembler to edit with and finally a hex editor to make changes to the exe.

I see. Which disassembler and hex editor do you use/recommend? I'll probably fail at this but there's no harm in having a peek.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-15 13:08:47 »
I don't think a 'peek' will quite do.

I would instead recommend at least six months' reverse-engineering of precompiled x86 binaries, perhaps more if you've never worked as stack/register level. If you haven't picked up a programming language, I would first suggest a year with unmanaged C++.

So: more than a peek.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-15 14:31:27 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:34:45 by Jenova's Witness »

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-15 15:08:04 »
I don't think a 'peek' will quite do.

I would instead recommend at least six months' reverse-engineering of precompiled x86 binaries, perhaps more if you've never worked as stack/register level. If you haven't picked up a programming language, I would first suggest a year with unmanaged C++.

So: more than a peek.

Anywhere to start? Perhaps a book, an online guide, some recommended programs?

p/s: Lemme know if I'm way off topic.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-15 15:44:32 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:34:31 by Jenova's Witness »

zoostation

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-15 17:09:11 »
For what difference it may make, I was thinking of the PC version when I started this thread. I'll edit the first post to be clear about that.