Author Topic: FF8 translation conversion PC -> PSX  (Read 13654 times)

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
FF8 translation conversion PC -> PSX
« on: 2009-03-30 16:46:38 »
Hi,

I want to convert Polish translation of FF8 from PC version into PSX version. I found battle files (easy), kernel.bin, mngrp.bin (and graphics in menu), texts linked with the world map (Obel Lake, etc.), texts from FF8.exe file (cards, draw points, monster names, etc.) and dialog (MSD) files + *.map and some other files for all locations in the game.

I also want find in the PSX version:
- font file - in the PC version this is "sysfnt.tex" for low resolution and "sysfld00.tex" and "sysfld01.tex" for high resolution - I think in the PSX version this can be in the TIM format and LZSS compressed, and, of course, only low resolution version;
- MIM files - these files are not in the dialog archives;
- TIMs for card game
- TIMs for battlefields
- TIMs for magic (this is probably in the packed archives for magic, I didn't search that yet)

Does anyone know, where is stored some data from the list above?

And also, I have to change pointer to kernel.bin (Polish version is too long, a little ;) ). This file has start at offset 0x5000 in the FF8disc1.img. Anyone know, where is pointer to this?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: FF8 translation conversion PC -> PSX
« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-31 01:22:08 »
The PSX version does not use files when accessing data... It uses a preprogrammed offset into the physical disk itself. Unless you remaster the bin blob. you are going to have issues.

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-31 07:31:15 »
Hmm... now I have problem only with kernel.bin, which is too long in Polish. I think I have to modify DTE to make kernel.bin shorter and it will be ok.

I found some compressed LZS images yesterday, so maybe I'll find font file, too ;) After conversion I'll write here all information about it.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-04-01 12:54:54 »
I highly doubt that it can be done with the PC version's file format...

There are some PC ports that use the same file structure as the PSX versions... but I wouldn't bet on FF8 being one of them.

That said, I could be wrong.

Either way, it won't be simple.

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #4 on: 2009-04-01 15:26:37 »
I highly doubt that it can be done with the PC version's file format...

There are some PC ports that use the same file structure as the PSX versions... but I wouldn't bet on FF8 being one of them.

That said, I could be wrong.

Either way, it won't be simple.

In PSX version, almost all files are in the same format as in the PC version, but, unfortunately, these files is compressed in different archives. PSX version (inside IMG file) contains compressed or uncompressed "files", and sometimes one compressed data contains two or more "files" (identical to PC version). There are no archives such as in PC version (FS (archive), FL (list), FI (pointers)).

Some files are not identical to PC version, for example "mngrp.bin".

I found a lot of AKAO data - these data contains music/sound, I think (Minoru Akao).

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #5 on: 2009-04-13 06:59:50 »
I also want find in the PSX version:
- font file - in the PC version this is "sysfnt.tex" for low resolution and "sysfld00.tex" and "sysfld01.tex" for high resolution - I think in the PSX version this can be in the TIM format and LZSS compressed, and, of course, only low resolution version;
- MIM files - these files are not in the dialog archives;
- TIMs for card game
- TIMs for battlefields
- TIMs for magic (this is probably in the packed archives for magic, I didn't search that yet)

From the list above, I found all data, except the font file. ;)

Small update: I found font file (TDW format) :)
« Last Edit: 2009-04-13 19:45:56 by Colly »

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #6 on: 2009-04-17 16:05:23 »
Sorry about new post, but I have new info. :wink:

Editing/inserting files into FF8 PSX works great:

So... if somebody wants convert translation to the PSX version (Czech, Hungarian, etc.), feel free to ask, how :)
After converting Polish translation, I'll write all instructions here.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-05 14:59:50 by Colly »

ignitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-05-06 03:49:41 »
the font file is second to last file from IMG PACK
the Image have 3 INDEX LBA
1 - In the beggining of PACK
2 - in second file in LBA 1 [Compressed LZSS]
3 - in the same of above [Compressed LZSS]

the INDEX 2 have INDEX LBA of the "FIELD" files and 3 have movies.

Sorry for fault to not indicate becausa the files isn't have here.

juancd

« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-07 08:27:46 »
Hello
I want to translate to Brazilian Portuguese. You provided all the tools to translate the PC version. Until then everything was fine, but do not know how to convert PSX. It seems to me that it is easier to convert than to translate directly from the PSX version.
Can you help me?

jdomingos

« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-17 15:01:43 »
Hi, I'm from Brazil, I'm doing the translation from PC to PSX FF8's already met all the file unless the source, anyone know the offset of the source file and tell me?

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #10 on: 2011-05-05 15:10:13 »
90% of my private messages here are started with something like "Hello. I'm from Brazil and I want to translate FF8 into Brazilian Portuguese." :P How many these translation projects you have? ;)

As for translation conversion: as soon as I finish the third version of FF8 hardcore patch, I will be working on Total Editor for FF8 - for texts, graphics (even multipalette TIMs), saves, backgrounds, kernel and menu, for PC and PSX version.

demeterf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-07-28 09:35:52 »
Hello! Can you write tutorial? I wont ff8 psx version Hungary transalation.

Avalanche

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-06-07 18:28:03 »
90% of my private messages here are started with something like "Hello. I'm from Brazil and I want to translate FF8 into Brazilian Portuguese." :P How many these translation projects you have? ;)

As for translation conversion: as soon as I finish the third version of FF8 hardcore patch, I will be working on Total Editor for FF8 - for texts, graphics (even multipalette TIMs), saves, backgrounds, kernel and menu, for PC and PSX version.

Are you finished the translation successfully? Will you make the tutorial?

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #13 on: 2013-06-07 19:04:20 »
Yes, translation is finished, even with the intro. I wrote first part of the tutorial. It's here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14309.0

Avalanche

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-06-07 19:29:59 »
Yes, translation is finished, even with the intro. I wrote first part of the tutorial. It's here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14309.0

Thanks for your work! : )

What do you think about FFIX? Have you ever checked that?