Author Topic: Information on FF7.exe  (Read 68734 times)

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #75 on: 2001-02-05 18:06:00 »
Fair enough. Though it isn't too hard to understand if you know basic C++ and 3d terms ... though I suppose not everybody does!

If Qhimm has no objections, I'll write a short document explaining the basic .P format.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #76 on: 2001-02-05 19:05:00 »
Why would I have any objections? If I wanted to prevent this kind of hacking this site wouldn't exist, you know...  :)

Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #77 on: 2001-02-06 01:56:00 »
Dag Sverre: Heh. Well, I'll consider it.

The Skillster: I know, but as I said, the information is still potentially useful.

Thanks for the info about the random battles. I would guess on a couple places where the fight data could be. Either the battle files, world_us.lgp, or somewhere else in the .exe.

Ficedula: Awesome! If you don't mind telling us, what was the original problem? Man, I can hardly wait to eat up the new document.  :)

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited February 05, 2001).]

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #78 on: 2001-02-06 16:23:00 »
ok i found where the limit breaks are in the exe. further down after the vincent.dat section at about line: 003c07a0h in ultra edit or whatever your using.
youll see lmcl2.dat then lmcl3.dat and so on till u get hvshot.dat (i think that is big shot) then limbr5.dat and even theres limea5.dat (aeris remember = earith), and so on, they arent labelled 1-5, usually the 1st limit.dat has a personal name and the other ones follow a convention of lim then 3 letters to destinguish the character then the limit number and then .dat, From what i gather this is almost straight from the psx exe almost, so i gather that there maybe some Disabled limit breaks...
just have to replace a number and find out  :D
see ya

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #79 on: 2001-02-06 10:59:00 »
I forgot to answer The Skillsters questions about where the battle or monster info is.
If you ask me, there should be 2 very possible places, battle.lgp or in flevel.lgp. This completely depends on how the FF7 developers made it. Since most enemies are only found in certain field areas, it would be reasonable to put the encounter rate and the monster specific info in the flevel.lgp field files. I think the battle.lgp should would only contain the battle graphics. Possibly the files like vincent.dat or such are in the battle.lgp too.
Putting the monster information into the EXE file is possible but it will only bloat the size of the EXE.

Let me put it this way.
Do you think the process of porting FF7PC was done by 1 sole person?
Obviously not, right?
So my guess here is that all the seperate files(LGP) would be done by a different person in order to get optimum results.
What I'm trying to say is this, the EXE should only contain the references and some other stuff. It should not have any internal files to avoid bloating the EXE and confusing an issue when there is a problem reported. Lets say that I was in charge of the monster info and a bug was reported. With the above mentioned system all I would have to do is open the respective file and figure it out, rather than opening an EXE file that was not done by me and potentially cause some other problem by messing up the code?

[This message has been edited by The SaiNt (edited February 06, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #80 on: 2001-02-06 15:22:00 »
OK; the document is up on my website.

The original problem I had was I didn't realise the same index was used for vertices and colours. It'll explain that in the document...once I realised it, no problem.

BTW, Qhimm, spellchecker.net was down when I was posting this. Had to disable Javascript before UBB would let me post anything...

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #81 on: 2001-02-06 22:08:00 »
ficedula: could u do us a favour? Could you write a small command line/GUI program where you pass a file to it and it converts to ff7 compatible ascii (i mean converts any readable/non readable text into FF7 compatible language) I hope that explains it ok? Its just that im going to use some 'Bruteforce' (TM) on some of the file formats, but some of the text is mangled so i need to 'translate it' into something i can read, then change it back after editing...

ficedula

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #82 on: 2001-02-07 02:00:00 »
What, you mean so it translates a text file into FF7-format data, or vice versa? Sure, that'd be quite easy...

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #83 on: 2001-02-07 03:18:00 »
Yeah that would be great! But it has to take ANY file as input, like so if i throw a tut file or a bin file or a feild file then there might be some readable text inside the translated output file.
Thanks again/

Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #84 on: 2001-02-07 07:03:00 »
Whoa! That would be kinda cool, but with what The Skillster's asking... easy? Maybe I misunderstand. Being able to convert *each* of the file formats back and forth into text and vice versa gives me the heeby jeebies thinking about the amount of work involved. FF7 has *how* many different file formats?

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #85 on: 2001-02-07 12:17:00 »
hmm i think you got it the wrong way srethron...
I/we mean passing raw file data thru a ascii converter (remember FF7 dialog/txt is NOT in ascii but in a slightly different version) and once its passed thru, any DIALOG/TEXT INTENDED for use IN THE GAME will become readable (ie, tut, bin, dialog, texts etc).
thats all, man i could probably do it in VB but i aint good at handeling files yet  :D

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #86 on: 2001-02-07 12:18:00 »
hmm i think you got it the wrong way srethron...
I/we mean passing raw file data thru a ascii converter (remember FF7 dialog/txt is NOT in ascii but in a slightly different version) and once its passed thru, any DIALOG/TEXT INTENDED for use IN THE GAME will become readable (ie, tut, bin, dialog, texts etc).
thats all, man i could probably do it in VB but i aint good at handling files yet  :D

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #87 on: 2001-02-07 12:20:00 »
DAMN STUPID WINDOWS!!!!!  :x !!!!

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #88 on: 2001-02-07 17:35:00 »
Skillster, do a search in the EXE file for the words 'limit' and 'special'.

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #89 on: 2001-02-07 18:48:00 »
what for?

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #90 on: 2001-02-07 19:20:00 »
The .rsd file links for each of the limits are there. Try and see if you replace them maybe you can get customized limit breaks.
Specials refer to the enemys special attacks i think. You might find something of interest there

Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #91 on: 2001-02-07 21:51:00 »
The Skillster: Ah, that makes more sense.

The SaiNt: Thanks for the info.

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #92 on: 2001-02-08 02:35:00 »
this sounds stupid, but anyone know anything that can DEcompile an exe?

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #93 on: 2001-02-08 02:43:00 »
hmm i see the sections in the exe with the limit breaks...
Dont think changing them will help, there also tim refs and .spt refs too.
but somenames i cant make out, if someone could confirm all the limit break sections and the real game names, then maybe we can single out any disabled limits...

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #94 on: 2001-02-08 03:07:00 »
another thing, the summons(.dat) seem to be listed under limits/*.dat !  :D a dumb thing to do!

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #95 on: 2001-02-08 08:23:00 »
There are programmes that allow you to decompile and exe. Unfortunately, you wont understand most of it unless you know asm.

[This message has been edited by The SaiNt (edited February 08, 2001).]

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #96 on: 2001-02-08 18:07:00 »
i  remember reading of a program that beaks a exe down into some of its original components, like icans images exes libararies etc...

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #97 on: 2001-02-08 18:31:00 »
Well, if you really wanna try, go to  http://www.exetools.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.exetools.com
I'm currently using The Interactive Dissasembler Pro (ISD Pro) to disassemble FF7.exe.
I'll get back to you guys when I do figure something out.

The Skillster

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #98 on: 2001-02-08 18:59:00 »
hmm, which 1 is it? i see a IDA pro, but thats 12 parts to d/l!!

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Information on FF7.exe
« Reply #99 on: 2001-02-09 05:50:00 »
Oops, I meant IDA Pro
It isnt too big a d/l cause each file is 1.44mb
1.44x12 is only 17.28mb
Besides its nothing compared to the decompiled ff7.exe;65+mb!!!