Author Topic: [FF8PC-2013 + Remastered-2019] HorizonPack: Remastered - World Texture Overhaul  (Read 278539 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
HorizonPack: Remastered  - by MCINDUS
For Final Fantasy VIII PC 2013 (v1.0)
-AND-
Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered PC (v1.1.a)

Both are the same texture packs available.

HorizonPack: Remastered is a full Custom World Texture Overhaul for FF8
Textures are 4x the resolution of the original!
Join my PATREON!

Requires Newest Tonberry Release for 2013, and Maki's DEMASTER tool for Remastered 2019
Get Tonberry: Enhanced 2.04 HERE
Get DEMASTER HERE

2013 Version: JUST SAY NO TO LINEAR FILTERING! (Turn it off in the Launcher for BEST results!)

This mod gets best results when used with Maki's UV Texture Patch for FF8 2013 found Here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16327.0
UV Patch COMES with DEMASTER, so no need to modify once you install the mod tool.

[NEW UPDATE 7/1/2020]

Hello again fellow FF8 Lunatics!
This mod completely overhauls the entire "World" (+ Overworld Map)
This is the NEW Complete Release!!!

If you like this mod, please DONATE

Included:

- CUSTOM WORLD TEXTURES
- World Roads and Railways Replacements
- World Town/City Upscales
- World Sky Replacement
- World Vehicle Upscales  (Not for Remaster yet)
- All 3 World Map Textures (Not for Remaster yet
- World Object Upscales  (Not for Remaster yet)
- World FX Upscales  (Not for Remaster yet)
- Lunatic Pandora Upscale (Not for Remaster yet)

Download Link:
HorizonPack: Remastered v1.0 (for Original 2013)

HorizonPack: Remastered v1.1.a(for Remastered 2019)
  Direct: https://mega.nz/file/r8RSkYxA#1ieF4115DL_7k9yhZwOVqcr4qb-wfjCnJnZ8xcgUiWA
ISSUES:  At 2048x2048px, loading times cause jagged lag; textures are 1024, which isn't ideal, but MUCH BETTER than the 256px originals.
*NEW Hashes! The game should remain consistent through all 4 discs!

THIS IS THE PROMISED REPLACEMENT PACK!
Fated Courage has also added vehicles, hashes, and hash fixes! (Thank you!)
Thanks to Crestian for his Ragnarok and Balamb Texture Replacements!

**SCROLL DOWN FOR OLD VERSION 3.0 for 2013 WITH 'VANILLA' UPSCALES**

Instructions:
1. Drag the folders (/textures and /tonberry) into /steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VIII/ and merge/replace anything it prompts.
*Optional* 2. Delete the old /wm and /ve folders from /FINAL FANTASY VIII/textures/

In order to change your ragnarok texture to the 'vanilla' model, or to pick your own custom color, do the following after install:
1.  Open "ragnarok colors" and choose the one you want.
2.  Backup the 'hp_texpg_45.png' texture from textures/hp/hp_texpg by renaming it anything.
3.  Rename your new Ragnarok to hp_texpg_45 and put it in FINAL FANTASY VIII/textures/hp/hp_texpg

Check the readme + changelog.txt file for more details.

Happy Modding!
MCINDUS

Thanks again to:
Fated Courage
Omzy
Shunsq
JeMaCheHi
Mavirick
Crestian

============================================
============================================

OLD VERSION (VANILLA UPSCALES) Download Link:
HorizonPack v3.0

Ragnarock "Gold" Texture Example:

I used Berrymapper by Shunsq to find the hashcodes for these textures.

« Last Edit: 2022-04-27 01:17:54 by Mcindus »

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
Hi Mcindus!
Great job here. I've not tested it yet but it's a great step for FF8 modding. Have a nice holiday !

olearyf2525

• View Profile
well done

olearyf2525

• View Profile
Okay so I am running into some issues. Mainly if i go into the menu on the world map the textures will disappear until I complete my next battle.

Encore

• View Profile
Okay so I am running into some issues. Mainly if i go into the menu on the world map the textures will disappear until I complete my next battle.
+

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Yeah... Running into that same issue as well. Not sure what the cause is there.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora

Weird.  I'm going to test mine to see if that's an issue.  If not, I wonder if it has something to do with all of the squall textures in objmap.  Do you guys have any other mods installed?  This should work with Tripod, SeeD Reborn, and Project Eden... not sure if it works with Shunsq's character replacement project...

Other than that glaring issue, is there anything else you guys have found?

TerriblyGrimm

• View Profile
It's actually happening :DD
just wow, amazing work i'm glad I decided to join in on the forums else i'd never have known about this.

You have my respect that's one thing for certain :D

nRage

• View Profile
MMmmm.... new textures... <3 you bae  :mrgreen:

nRage

• View Profile
Can confirm that issue others are having. Have to enter then exit a battle/area to reset the textures. I have seed reborn, tripod, project eden, and RaW. Although I doubt that last one will matter. Also I noticed that while on the Ragnarok the textures are vanilla then as soon as stepping off they are upscaled. They will switch back and forth while boarding/disembarking. Hope this helps somehow! Still luh u.  :mrgreen:

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Can confirm that issue others are having. Have to enter then exit a battle/area to reset the textures. I have seed reborn, tripod, project eden, and RaW. Although I doubt that last one will matter. Also I noticed that while on the Ragnarok the textures are vanilla then as soon as stepping off they are upscaled. They will switch back and forth while boarding/disembarking. Hope this helps somehow! Still luh u.  :mrgreen:

Yeah... it looks like the game pops into downscaled textures whenever that happens for some reason... I will work on a fix, but this is some strange behavior.  similar issues with the cloudy sky backdrop and the world map.  Progress ensues! At least is breaks nothing... lol

TerriblyGrimm

• View Profile
Well it's all trial and error, processes and software for texture replacement modifications or modifications for FF8 in general are still in very early alpha stages so it's no surprise to see such bugs poping up around this time,
I'm very impressed with how fast FF8 is becoming moddable though
hopefully oneday someone will decode Main_Chr.FS and we can begin replacing FF8 field models and not only the textures.

However I have dones some tests before and it would be possible to replace battle models with entirely different reconstructions.

My tests were using Deling and exporting renaming and importing different battle model files and the effect was Squall became Laguna, Zell became SeeD Exam Zell and Selphie, became SeeD Exam Selphie.

Very interesting stuff to be honest

K43SJ

• View Profile
Hi, great work  :)
When i open menu game then back wold map , the textures is back old

Mortael

• View Profile
I would recommend merging this topic with the berrymapper topic, because, doing this mod on your own would take a HELL of a lot of time, I already merged my topic with it and also- the more people on-board the better :) I feel like more people refer to that topic, and I think releasing packs when we have ALL of the areas/characters textured might be the better option.. Considering we are in the alpha, nearing beta stages!

Good work with the world textures though! Keep it up :) I don't have access to my main PC at the moment so I can't be any help with the textures until I come home again, you should really get in touch with Crestian/Shunsq/Mago and other artists and collab together to work on the project rather than tackle it on your own, as much as you'd get all the credit n' all! It would just be beneficial/save a lot of time in the process :)
« Last Edit: 2014-12-23 16:12:30 by Mortael »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I would recommend merging this topic with the berrymapper topic, because, doing this mod on your own would take a HELL of a lot of time, I already merged my topic with it and also- the more people on-board the better :) I feel like more people refer to that topic, and I think releasing packs when we have ALL of the areas/characters textured might be the better option.. Considering we are in the alpha, nearing beta stages!

Good work with the world textures though! Keep it up :) I don't have access to my main PC at the moment so I can't be any help with the textures until I come home again, you should really get in touch with Crestian/Shunsq/Mago and other artists and collab together to work on the project rather than tackle it on your own, as much as you'd get all the credit n' all! It would just be beneficial/save a lot of time in the process :)

Thanks!   I originally considered posting this in the berry mapper thread but that thread is now flooded with several projects... so I made one just for the world textures and posted there about this thread.   I agree with you on the point of working together so please contribute whatever you can!  Everyone will get credit where it is due :) 
That brings up a great point.  The towns are going to be my last step in each area, so if any of you would like to contribute,  that would be a great step forward!

I think this post would do nicely as a focused thread that can deal with its own troubleshooting etc as it progresses.  I've already done more than half of the world landscape textures and hashing all on my own in a week so i know a finished 'product' isn't far away.  we just have to figure out how to prevent he game animations from lagging so hard now... and I think I have a fix for the texture swapping.

I feel like each main project should have its own release page until more of them are completed, and then we put everything together.  If someone is working diligently on Battle Fields, Summons, or Magics, I feel that there should be a place for them to focus on the project, but they should probably go in the 'graphical mods' section for now.  I posted this in the 'releases' thread because it is just that -- an 'alpha' 1.0 release.

I feel like the Tonberry Mods, once fully realized, should be given an installer platform so that the FF8 fans can pick their mods - and I really feel like we should all be working together towards the goal of having an easy to install, easy to enjoy mod package for all. :)
« Last Edit: 2014-12-23 18:41:55 by Mcindus »

Mortael

• View Profile

Thanks!   I originally considered posting this in the berry mapper thread but that thread is now flooded with several projects... so I made one just for the world textures and posted there about this thread.   I agree with you on the point of working together so please contribute whatever you can!  Everyone will get credit where it is due :) 
That brings up a great point.  The towns are going to be my last step in each area, so if any of you would like to contribute,  that would be a great step forward!

I think this post would do nicely as a focused thread that can deal with its own troubleshooting etc as it progresses.  I've already done more than half of the world landscape textures and hashing all on my own in a week so i know a finished 'product' isn't far away.  we just have to figure out how to prevent he game animations from lagging so hard now... and I think I have a fix for the texture swapping.

I feel like each main project should have its own release page until more of them are completed, and then we put everything together.  If someone is working diligently on Battle Fields, Summons, or Magics, I feel that there should be a place for them to focus on the project, but they should probably go in the 'graphical mods' section for now.  I posted this in the 'releases' thread because it is just that -- an 'alpha' 1.0 release.

I feel like the Tonberry Mods, once fully realized, should be given an installer platform so that the FF8 fans can pick their mods - and I really feel like we should all be working together towards the goal of having an easy to install, easy to enjoy mod package for all. :)

Sounds good to me! I am looking forward to the day all our packs will be available, and we'll have a fully remastered version of FF8 ;)

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
I'll post here so I get noticed when you guys post new stuff :3

Erik

• View Profile
This looks so great! And makes me wanna start playing my FF8 save again. Cheers for doing this.

Lunareste

• View Profile
Mcindus, will we be seeing a youtube update with all mods soon?

I really want to see how the new world looks.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Mcindus, will we be seeing a youtube update with all mods soon?

I really want to see how the new world looks.

Very soon!

I tried to replace the ocean, but the game lags so hard it becomes almost unplayable.  Anyone have any ideas?
I'm going to leave it alone and focus on the first two towns - then a video.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-27 19:22:16 by Mcindus »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Hey everyone! New Release in the OP!  The entire world has been upscaled!  This release also includes a World Map replacement! Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Post any bugs please!

Erik

• View Profile
Wow, when I was here the last time you had only made Balamb area and now the whole world is having a real shape up? Really good job!

I'm guessing that if this is possible towns and the remote Balamb garden would be possible as well!

ChaosFenrir

• View Profile
Used the mod and went to balamb wm and works great! Good job on this . But it slowdowns a little bit for me, is that a general problem of mod compatibillity or it slows because the rescale needs a good machine to take it ? I have tripod, seed reborn, pj eden, RaW and the Character Txt replacement . Is any of those not compatible?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Used the mod and went to balamb wm and works great! Good job on this . But it slowdowns a little bit for me, is that a general problem of mod compatibillity or it slows because the rescale needs a good machine to take it ? I have tripod, seed reborn, pj eden, RaW and the Character Txt replacement . Is any of those not compatible?

If you are using the world map squall replacement, you might see more lag than if you're just using the world texture replacement, but there is some lag on the world map.  It might help if your processor is nice, but if I were you, I would try to set the processor affinity for FF8 to CPU 0 in the task manager - it might clear up a few things.

ChaosFenrir

• View Profile
If you are using the world map squall replacement, you might see more lag than if you're just using the world texture replacement, but there is some lag on the world map.  It might help if your processor is nice, but if I were you, I would try to set the processor affinity for FF8 to CPU 0 in the task manager - it might clear up a few things.
Thanks for the really fast reply. I figured out the problem, my pc was just strained from the modding and after i defraged a bit and restarted it works really well now, even with the character mod. Great job on this and thanks again for your reply.