Author Topic: FF7 demo for 3dfx, any takers?  (Read 9402 times)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF7 demo for 3dfx, any takers?
« on: 2004-08-15 09:24:25 »
Hi guys,
I dug out my PCGAMER cover CD that has the only ever demo of FF7PC in its early stages for 3dfx cards only.
I can tell you the music in this demo is in wave format, and the demo consists of the road to Corel and ends at the air taxi to the Gold saucer,
If anyone wants it still I can upload it and link it hear, but this is last chance since the cds due to go in the bin soon :)

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-15 10:15:32 »
Please do, It could be interesting :D
how big is it?  I can actually download stuff now im on broadband

CloudSquall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-15 12:03:35 »
yes i would really like to have it, please do

fuchisasquatch

• View Profile
    • http://aa.1asphost.com/sasquatch/
« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-15 12:06:03 »
hey someone upload it to there site..and yeah distribute it..
maybe that main engine could be used in something in the future..
so i think its a must for the ff7 hackers

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-15 15:02:30 »
Ooo I have that disk somewhere aswell.... Also got the FF8 demo which is the SeeD mission at Dollet.

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-15 18:25:18 »
I have that FF8 demo disc...sort of.

Its the PS1 Squaresoft Legends disc or something? Forgot what it was called. It had a demo of FF8 (The first mission only with that tower, from start to finish), and a demo of Xenogears, along with another demo and some previews. Pretty cool disc.

fuchisasquatch

• View Profile
    • http://aa.1asphost.com/sasquatch/
« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-16 09:06:17 »
hmm..i have ff8 demo discs..

One i got from this psx magazine and its that SeeD missio and i also got this other disc..i forget where..may have been with ff7, i cant remember. But its an official disc..and yeah its got that dance scene in an old film style and a modified version of the ff8 intro - guess it would count as a tralier then.

Also when i bought FFVI i got a PS2 demo disc...which sucked because at that time... I DIDNT OWN A FRIGGEN PS2...

Luckily my friend had one and i went over to his house to play.. I was really suprised with the difference it had to the other ff game. I especially liked how you could swim in the water. (I love games with more of a feel of freedom.)

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: FF7 demo for 3dfx, any takers?
« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-16 17:09:26 »
Quote from: The Skillster
Hi guys,
I dug out my PCGAMER cover CD that has the only ever demo of FF7PC in its early stages for 3dfx cards only.
I can tell you the music in this demo is in wave format, and the demo consists of the road to Corel and ends at the air taxi to the Gold saucer,
If anyone wants it still I can upload it and link it hear, but this is last chance since the cds due to go in the bin soon :)

I wonder if one can borrow the driver from that to support GLIDE. Not that it's terribly interesting however if the glide control/output is better, one can use a GLIDE emulator on the PC and .. tada have a better screen than the DX driver likely.

Maybe heh it's an obscure thought mostly.

Cyb

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-17 20:30:39 »
ok thanks to demand its uploading as we speak.
http://www.sajidakhtar.plus.com/ff73dfx.rar
please give it about 30mins to 1hour from the time of this post
cheers and no link spamming, if u wanna post the link elsewhere link to this page only
thanks

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-19 17:13:34 »
If you mean that you think this is the only FF7PC demo, you are mistaken. I have a non-3dfx demo from Eidos that came with Tomb Raider 3. I only got it for the FF7PC demo. Actually, there are two demos. One is the same stretch as your glide one, only it's in DirectX, the other is battle square, DX. Battle is 20megs, Corel is about 130, unrar'd. If you mean that yours is the only 3DFX demo, then.. well, you're probably right. If anyone wants the one that I have, to compare the directx and 3dfx of the identical thing, whatever, I'll be happy to share it, but I lack a host. Someone else will have to host it.

Cheers,
Contra

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-19 17:56:36 »
Game wont run.....

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-19 19:29:58 »
Probably won't run if you don't have a card/drivers that support Glide, like say... a 3dfx card.

Anwyay, I'm pretty sure Skillster knows about other demo(s), but this is the only 3dfx demo that we know of afaik, and that makes it reasonably interesting. :P

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-20 05:20:53 »
Welll you might be able to use a glide wrapper to test it on your system without the 3dFx card. The interesting thing about that is you can run the wraper in a window.  Hmmm too bad FF7 won't let you do that right now (mumble), without some patching to the engine at least.

Cyb

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2004-08-21 01:00:14 »
Quote from: Bunnie-Maru
I have that FF8 demo disc...sort of.

Its the PS1 Squaresoft Legends disc or something? Forgot what it was called. It had a demo of FF8 (The first mission only with that tower, from start to finish), and a demo of Xenogears, along with another demo and some previews. Pretty cool disc.

Actually, the one I own is called "Squaresoft Collector's Disc Vol.1" and has the demo movie of FF8 (same mission though), demo movie of "Brave Fencer Musashi", intro movie to "Bushido Blade 2", and a playable demo of Xenogears.

It came with my copy of Parasite Eve.

iceydamo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2004-08-22 10:02:32 »
I pulled out my old computer with my voodoo 3 in it today to try out the demo and it blow me away they look so good. I think what eidos should have done when they releasaed the game was have an option for 3dfx and direct 3d cause glide made the game look good and hardly no slip ups.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2004-09-06 10:52:53 »
if i remember correctly you can run this demo with glide wrappers, (refer to the README.TXT to see requirements) but when you get into battle and the screen does that swirley effect the last wrapper i used crashed :P
but yea it looks good, and the WAVE sounds great :)

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2004-09-11 21:23:41 »
I got an important question.

Are we talking Glide2x or Glide3x here?  If it's Glide2x (and early Glide2x at that), then there may be some additional difficulties in getting it to run on todays cards or even later Voodoo series cards (read: V4/V5)

Why?  Because the extremely early Glide2x games required you to limit the texture memory to 2mb (Official 3Dfx drivers, and some 3rd party drivers included an option in the Tools to do this at the driver level), amoung other things.