Author Topic: Getting FFX models onto your pc!  (Read 16722 times)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Getting FFX models onto your pc!
« on: 2005-10-21 10:00:31 »
I was reading one of the sites linked in a post on the useless topics thread:
http://www.insertcredit.com/
They had a article about extracting FFX and X-2 models to PC.

http://www.yaz0r.net/ffxview.php

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-21 10:33:34 »
whoa... what was I saying about porting ffx models? :D
That's damn impressive. It's great that I started to buying PS2 from FFX :D

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-21 12:22:17 »
Nice ! :)

But as usuall to yaz0r, this is again viewer only and it won't support exporting option.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-21 16:12:10 »
Thats where you all come in!
Chances are high that the style of the 3d setup in FFX might be similar to older FFs.

mirex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-21 16:38:10 »
You bet it won't be similair, there is only chance that it will be easy to hack :-P

Cyberman

• View Profile
On this subject
« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-21 19:25:39 »
Well someone modified yaz0r's tool to export models unfortunately some unscrupulous degenerate nincompoops abused the modified variant and as a consequence it has now been deleted out of existance from being an available tool for people who own FFX and want to twiddle with the models.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother making tools with people like that around, it's just too depressing to think about. :weep:

Cyb

PS: Here is the thread it appeared in if you are curious.

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-21 21:03:02 »
It is probably to late now, but NSFW! (Rikku nekkid!)

Myonosken

« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-22 10:25:30 »
Wait a mo....you're going to download them, edit the Rikku model, taking hours, then reburn an illegal disk just to see some polygonal breasts?!

Well....whatever floats your boat.

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-22 11:10:59 »
Quote from: Nanotechmonkey
Wait a mo....you're going to download them, edit the Rikku model, taking hours, then reburn an illegal disk just to see some polygonal breasts?!

Well....whatever floats your boat.

From what I understand that model is used in the game. I haven't seen the scene but I'd guess they use some smart camera placement to avoid showing them. Or it could be a case like the DoAX nude mod where they just disable the code that draws the swimsuits.
It doesn't really matter, but if you share an office or have your internet traffic logged it is not a good idea to follow that link.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-22 20:01:30 »
Don't worry, it's just a matter of time when mirex and I will be able to convert FFX models to 3DS Max...hehe...

- Alhexx

Mobius

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-10-22 23:49:15 »
Didn't the short-lived Exporter already put the files in a Maya/3DS (well, with the correct .obj plugin) readable format?

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-10-23 08:38:29 »
Well you guys dont have to worry about anything ffxi model related. The jp have prettymuch figured out everything possible with the format, ffxi modelviewer is a great example. Theres even a prog designed to edit the models and bones, wich is just now being translated into english. all we need is to do the same with ff7, and 8, maybe 9 once it comes to the pc..but not likely >.<;

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-10-23 13:21:27 »
I love FFX's model detail, so I will write a plugin for FFX models for Eve (my model converter), and if there's already everything decoded - that's fine - I can concentrate on coding then :)

*dreams of using FFX Shiva in FF7*

- Alhexx

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-10-23 13:24:19 »
not quite alhexx, doesnt ffx use textures character models, while ff7 uses only garoud (is that right way to say it) shading?

You would have to be able to import the texture as well and beable to map it to the character model.

btw on the subject of models, what about cloud from kingdom hearts? Is he improved in that game (I cannot remember), he would be a good one to port across too :)

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-10-23 14:02:18 »
[mad alhexx mode]
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
[/mad alhexx mode]

Quote from: The Skillster
not quite alhexx, doesnt ffx use textures character models, while ff7 uses only garoud (is that right way to say it) shading?

And one more time:
Although FF7 usually does not use fully-textured models, it still is able to handle them.
And I can prove it - all battle locations are nothing more than fully-textured .p files....

So technically it is possible - but noone has ever tried to do that.
Btw, Elentor, what's with the high-res tifa project??!?

- Alhexx

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-10-23 15:20:58 »
Quote from: Alhexx
[mad alhexx mode]
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
[/mad alhexx mode]

And one more time:
Although FF7 usually does not use fully-textured models, it still is able to handle them.
Yes but it WILL make it VERY slow. This is a limitation of the age of the engine really.
And I can prove it - all battle locations are nothing more than fully-textured .p files....

Yes they are.. but you can only fully texture the PC version which doesn't have the same 'issues' as the PSX version.  The texture size depth and limitations are 4/8bits and 256x256 pixels.  You may have textured tri's or quads as well.  HOWEVER, the guraud shadded poly's scale nicer than the textured polys of FF8. FF9's models seem to be the best of the bunch.
So technically it is possible - but noone has ever tried to do that.
Btw, Elentor, what's with the high-res tifa project??!?

- Alhexx

Technically yes, practically.. maybe, first you have to create a texture that's close to the original color scheme.  I suppose I could do something like that (sigh) might take a bit of time.  I think there is a hi rez Tifa model out there already.

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005-10-23 16:00:13 »
No, Elenton and me, we were trying to create a high-res tifa model for FF7, however, I didn't get the model from Elentor yet - so I can't start porting it to FF7...

- Alhexx

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005-10-23 18:15:51 »
btw, if the battle locations are all textured, what are the specifications required for the texture, and where is the texture stored?

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005-10-23 18:17:14 »
The textures are stored as "**ac" - "**al" with the models... as for the specs, I'm not sure, but I think they're using 8bit palette...

- Alhexx

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-10-23 18:23:22 »
they are in tim format or bmp?

mirex

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005-10-23 19:54:51 »
I'd say they are in ff7's .TEX format, as all other ff7 textures.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005-10-23 20:27:00 »
Oh I forgot about ye olde.. you know I don't know why they made yet another format. tim's aren't that bad, the PC models are pretty much identical to the PS1's as far as appearance aren't they?

I believe the main constraint on the PS1 was memory usage of the characters.  However switching to a 8bpp texture that's 128x128 to 256x256 and shifting all the poly's to textured ones may fit better in memory.  Namely because the colored vertex variants actually use more memory. (coloied V 20 bytes for triangles 24 bytes for quads versus textured 16 for tri's and 20 for quads) I think typically this saves 8 or more k per model.  Making the texture bigger isn't a terrible thing since it already sucks up a fair amount of space.
So it might be possible to port the hi rez Tifa to the PS1 with a bit O tweaking. :)

I just need to make a virtual CD drive I can replace files in easily.

Cyb

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005-10-23 21:41:58 »
is it possible to replace the textures with hires ones rather than low res ones scaled up.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-10-23 21:59:49 »
is it possible to replace the textures with hires ones rather than low res ones scaled up.

I'm not familiar with the .p format and how it deals with textures.
I suspect the PC engine is limited to 256x256 textures as well since they would not be expecting anything bigger than that.

For the PS1 variant textures can't exceed 256x256 (because they use an unsigned byte for the UV coordinate information). They are also limited to 8bpp. (though you can use multiple palettes for more color).

FF9's textures look fairly good on the PC with an emulator and texture stretching they are 2 128x128 texture maps 8bpp.  Ones biggest issues then would be weapons, as they are seperate models stored in colored vertex form only.  I suppose those really don't need messing with :D

Cyb

TonkaTaru

« Reply #24 on: 2006-03-07 15:42:25 »
Does anyone have a program to convert the models to .obj?  You don't have to post it here, you can PM me if you'd like.  I've been on this search for a long time now.