Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008096 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98-Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03b)
« Reply #1400 on: 2015-05-22 20:13:52 »
I still need someone to place the love heart back into the original game texture font.  Can anyone here do that for me? I can tell you which entries to edit.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: 2015-05-22 21:54:45 »
Also, I like this better:

Sephiroth
“So… you opened the door.
  You have my gratitude.”

Changed it in Kuro_8

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: 2015-05-23 03:32:09 »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #1404 on: 2015-05-23 10:06:27 »
I still need someone to place the love heart back into the original game texture font.  Can anyone here do that for me? I can tell you which entries to edit.

All I can do is send you this picture (7th row, 3rd column):

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: 2015-05-23 10:10:30 »
Hi there, newbie on the forums here. What character should I replace with the heart? Do you use the original, unmodified PC font?

I already up-rezzed the musical note and the heart for the Spanish project, so just tell me where to put'em and I'll send you the font.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 10:49:46 by IlDucci »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: 2015-05-23 12:58:18 »
Thank you.

The pound sign and that other (I forget its name).  As you can see, I use 2 lovehearts with Retranslation (to give it some personality).  If you would, use the loveheart glyph from the original font.  Half its size, and place it in roughly the same places as the ones above. The loveheart needs to be in all colours.

Also, maybe let us all know how you do it :)

Green_Goblin... I see you have also edited the font?  Then maybe you can also add the 2 lovehearts as above?
« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 13:05:26 by DLPB »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: 2015-05-23 14:56:13 »
Just watched the mural room.

"A treasury of a knowledge" would sound better as "A treasure trove of knowledge"

"It summons a small rock drifting in space" doesn't sound as threatening to the planet as a large rock drifting in space.  Small rock comes off as being a pebble

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: 2015-05-23 15:01:24 »
Perhaps, but I think by the standards of a planet, it is a small rock.  But I agree with you that it doesn't work as well as just "large rock".  I'll look into this line again with Luksy.  As for the treasure trove...  I think I avoided using it because Hojo also uses it in another scene.  Wanted to mix it up.  Also, Treasury sounded less verbose and more like Sep... i dunno, it just feels slightly better there.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: 2015-05-23 15:09:11 »
Yeah, I'll amend it.  You can see where that's gone wrong from the Japanese, even in Google Translate:

{AERIS}
「究極の破壊魔法メテオ」{NEW}
「宇宙をただよっている小さな星を
 魔法の力で呼びよせるの」

{AERIS}
"Ultimate destruction magic Meteor" {NEW}
A small star that drifts the "Space
And the lapping call a magic power "

"Small celestial object", but it's clear to a Japanese person we are talking about a "small planet" .. that kinda vibe.  So Small rock misses this meaning.  At least, that's what I think.  We can't use "Small planet / star" of course, because it isn't a planet or star.  We have to give it the exact meaning... I chose rock. You could also say that it summons a small comet, but I don't think that's what they are getting at.  It's probably just better to go with "Large rock" here.

What say Luksy?

ps.  This is yet another example of FF7 / Japanese vs English limitation.  FF7 uses the same Kanji for planet, star, celestial object.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 15:12:39 by DLPB »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: 2015-05-23 16:08:11 »
Honestly, I kind of like small planet better than large rock.  But either way, really.

While we're on it, is it definitely called Meteor?  A meteor is a shooting star, implying that once it enters the earth's atmosphere it will burn up.  Seems like Comet or Asteroid would be a more accurate name.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: 2015-05-23 17:19:27 »
Wouldn't this somehow fit better?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid

As I see it, Meteo isn't a planet but a meteor or a large rock drifting through outer space... but not a comet either, so... either asteroid or planetoid maybe?
Well, there's always that old theory (that was confirmed in AC) of Jenova traveling through the universe on a planetoid to corrupt the planet's lifestreams, lol.

But I could be all wrong. If you go all literal it doesn't make sense, though.

PS: I saw you mentioned here Honeywood (Richard Honeywood?) on the バレット<->Bullet note. Where did that come from? I'd like to see myself.
As a side note, did you try finding scans of that japanese book I mentioned before? Does any of you know where to find scans of that? Because I don't.
But there's always the chance to buy it if you live in Japan I guess...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: 2015-05-23 18:49:01 »
It's called Meteor (it's in English), but it's just a large rock that gets summoned. A meteor doesn't always burn up... a meteor is simply a rock that has entered the atmosphere, so the name is accurate.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolide  A bolide IS a meteor.  Common usage of meteor is any rock that enters the atmosphere, and when it lands it is often called an impactor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impactor Can't use planet, because it isn't a planet - nowhere near.  It would be completely inaccurate.  The only things we could use are asteroid or large rock.  Perhaps Asteroid is a better localization.

I've no idea where the scans can be found - your best bet is  a Japanese person.  As for Honeywood, check NeoGAF, there is a thread there that has a link to an interview.  If you can't find it, I'll look for you.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 18:59:56 by DLPB »

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: 2015-05-23 19:00:36 »
'Planetoid' is also used for larger asteroids. Comet specifically refers to objects with a 'gravitationally unbound atmosphere' which can be seen as the solar wind lights them up (which is why their tail won't necessarily point in the direction that they're traveling). Meteor is definitely too small to refer to the thing that Sephiroth summons, since they range in size from pebbles to boulders.

Also an interesting tidbit, 'meteor' specifically refers to meteoroids that are getting stripped of their outer layers by going through our atmosphere (they then become 'meteorites' when they land and cool off). So in that sense, a meteor spell that can be used in combat and summons flaming rocks from the sky is aptly named. Sephiroth is dropping a comet or an asteroid on the planet :P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: 2015-05-23 19:07:13 »
The bolide that wiped out the dinosaurs was around 12 KM diameter and was either a comet or an asteroid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_impactor

Meteor doesn't have to have a "size", there's a common usage to the word that isn't set in stone (heh heh).  Plus, it's the name the Japanese team have specifically chosen. 

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: 2015-05-23 19:40:06 »
As for Honeywood, check NeoGAF, there is a thread there that has a link to an interview.  If you can't find it, I'll look for you.
Can you share it with me, please?

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: 2015-05-23 20:17:11 »
Thank you.

The pound sign and that other (I forget its name).  As you can see, I use 2 lovehearts with Retranslation (to give it some personality).  If you would, use the loveheart glyph from the original font.  Half its size, and place it in roughly the same places as the ones above. The loveheart needs to be in all colours.

Also, maybe let us all know how you do it :)

Green_Goblin... I see you have also edited the font?  Then maybe you can also add the 2 lovehearts as above?

Here you go. I'll delete this from the hosting as soon as you pick them up.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2056637/menu_DLPB.7z

You'll need to edit the character size to 6 on both characters so they fit.

As about the way to do it, I inject the content via TileMolester. For me, it's the only way to keep the font and battle files compatibles with the 98 version. A bit of a pain in the ass, though.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 20:18:43 by IlDucci »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: 2015-05-23 20:30:49 »
I think you're thinking of meteoroid.  Meteors disintegrate in the atmosphere.  Meteoroids hit the ground and become meteorites.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: 2015-05-23 20:43:31 »
The thing is, though, even in popular culture and on news sites you will frequently see even those that have impacted called "meteors".  From a science pov, I'm not sure if it can be accurate, but from everyday usage, it's definitely used.  Even if it's totally wrong, it would just be yet another example of the shoddy naming in VII.... like "Soldier".

http://nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/space/meteorites-dust/meteor-impacts/index.html

One of many sites where a meteor is said to have impacted. But yeah, you'll see "meteorite" used more commonly for the fragment, like above.  Still... Meteor is a cooler name for it.  And it never does land :P
« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 20:48:16 by DLPB »

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: 2015-05-23 20:49:37 »
The thing is, though, even in popular culture and on news sites you will frequently see even those that have impacted called "meteors".  From a science pov, I'm not sure if it can be accurate, but from everyday usage, it's definitely used.  Even if it's totally wrong, it would just be yet another example of the shoddy naming in VII.... like "Soldier".
I'd go with asteroid or planetoid there. I suppose Sephiroth is a knowledgeable person, so he probably would not call it erroneously, I guess? Also, what "Soldier" term are you referring to there?
Oh, and thanks for that link.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: 2015-05-23 21:01:28 »
It's Aerith who mentions the "rock".  But I think using asteroid is our best bet.  I'll ask Luksy.

Soldier as in the elite soldiers, part of Shin-Ra

« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 21:13:03 by DLPB »

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: 2015-05-23 21:23:10 »
It's Aerith who mentions the "rock".  But I think using asteroid is our best bet.  I'll ask Luksy.

Soldier as in the elite soldiers, part of Shin-Ra

Ah yes, it was Aerith. Sorry.
Well, if you mean Soldiers as in Sephiroth, then yeah, I'd blame the generic english Soldier term used in the original japanese script.
Would've been better to use a more original term there, probably. It just sounds cool from a japanese POV, I guess.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: 2015-05-23 21:29:10 »
To them it's ok because they have Kanji to mean the normal soldier... all we have is the word.  So we have soldiers who are part of Soldier.  It doesn't work.  In fact, if this had been localized properly at the start (the original English game), it's likely a new name would have been chosen... but it's way too late now. Everyone knows it... it's here to stay.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: 2015-05-23 21:44:16 »
To them it's ok because they have Kanji to mean the normal soldier... all we have is the word.  So we have soldiers who are part of Soldier.  It doesn't work.  In fact, if this had been localized properly at the start (the original English game), it's likely a new name would have been chosen... but it's way too late now. Everyone knows it... it's here to stay.
Another interpretation using the ALL CAPS name could be...
SOLDIER is an elite military organization, and their members are called... agents of SOLDIER. Could that work somehow? At least it's how I have always thought about it.
I'm not entirely sure if that would change anything in the grand scheme of things in the original script. I always thought it might have been intended as that.

What do you think about that? Does it break something?