Author Topic: FF7 (PSX) unused voice sample, is it known?  (Read 3624 times)

Moogie

• View Profile
FF7 (PSX) unused voice sample, is it known?
« on: 2019-12-28 22:16:54 »
Hi guys. I use a RAM corruption program (RTCV) to mess with games for fun, and while playing around with FF7 I managed to get the music sequencer to play a voice clip I've never heard before. It's not really words, but a painful sounding male grunt, like someone getting punched in the stomach and going "URGH!"

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/628375639602233374/660373405157294080/ff7_voice.wav (Note: the repetition and tone changes are a result of the game trying to play this as a music instrument, so only the final occurence is how the clip actually sounds in full)

To replicate it yourself, freeze 0x99789 to 9A during the Zack + Cloud flashback in the ShinRa Mansion when they break out of the pods and Cloud is lying on the ground.

Just wondering, has this sound already been dumped? If so, are there others like it? I'm curious to learn more. I thought the only voice samples in the game were One Winged Angel vocals.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-28 22:19:11 by Moogie »

blurayno

• View Profile
Re: FF7 (PSX) unused voice sample, is it known?
« Reply #1 on: 2020-02-11 22:23:43 »
Kinda interesting sound, it might be envelope modulated and synthesized using two samples since the sound engine can modulate one sample using another as an oscillator, creating dozens of interesting sounds.
One should check out the script for that particular scene using MakouReactor (for example) and see which sound effect is played during the scene.
If you can give me the ID of the script or the SFX itself, I'll be able to figure it out.

As for the plain sample data available, there's only one grunt saying something like "Uh!".
I recall it being used in Cosmo Canyon's BGM only.

Moogie

• View Profile
Re: FF7 (PSX) unused voice sample, is it known?
« Reply #2 on: 2020-02-21 00:07:57 »
Kinda interesting sound, it might be envelope modulated and synthesized using two samples since the sound engine can modulate one sample using another as an oscillator, creating dozens of interesting sounds.
One should check out the script for that particular scene using MakouReactor (for example) and see which sound effect is played during the scene.
If you can give me the ID of the script or the SFX itself, I'll be able to figure it out.

As for the plain sample data available, there's only one grunt saying something like "Uh!".
I recall it being used in Cosmo Canyon's BGM only.

Thanks! Well, not sure how useful the information I can give you is. As I say, I'm using a corruptor, so I don't think this sound exists in the script; I blasted the RAM area responsible for controlling the music as it plays (so, not even the actual instrument table, as far as I can tell).

I'm pretty sure of this, as I can get it to play pretty much any sound effect, including a whole bunch of magical effects I've never heard before. I would imagine most of them are dumped already, but the voice was something particularly unusual.

If you freeze 0x99789 to 9A during the "Heartbeat" song, that gets its to play the "Oof" sequence. Then freezing 0x99FD2 to 01 gets it to loop. This is in MainRAM, btw.

https://streamable.com/cnq2w

Here's a much better clip (video) including the state of RAM in the area that's been corrupted. Probably not as useful as I'm hoping, but I'm afraid I'm not very techy. I know just enough to be a danger to myself and my PC, but beyond that... limited understanding, I'm afraid. :) But I hope you can do something with it!