Author Topic: gjoerulv's hardcore mod guides? FF VII  (Read 91378 times)

krockus91

• View Profile
gjoerulv's hardcore mod guides? FF VII
« on: 2013-06-14 00:07:38 »
Hiya guys, I'm new here but I've been playing gjoerulv's hardcore mod (and really enjoying it i might add)
I have been playing through at what appears to be (according to the main forum) a relatively low level and therefore I believe I have some interesting strategies and tips. I was wondering if people are still playing it would they appreciate a few guides, tips etc? Not saying I am the best, but I was thinking of posting some stuff anyway but I thought id make sure there was an audience first ha ha. Lemme know what you think guys.

Edit
Sorry guys I appear to have been an idiot and posted this in the wrong category :(
« Last Edit: 2013-06-14 00:09:13 by krockus91 »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: gjoerulv's hardcore mod guides? FF VII
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-14 09:29:46 »
I am actually interested... kinda scared of the difficulty mods and just been waiting for a new one to come out that everyone says works. Apparently this one does (funny it's the oldest I know of) and yeah... I don't really play ff7 looking for a challenge; if it were that might be interesting. But I like reading guides and knowing what to do, I'm not really a strategy planner type. I'd say if it's not a zen form of practice to write it for you then don't bother, though, because probably only a handful of people will ever read it.   

krockus91

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-14 10:11:39 »
If you like the game its definitely worth trying out. Even just for the added bosses. I'm not talking about im depth mechanics and physics elements with percentiles etc (lol) just a few things that are worth looking at. Some super levelling techniques (I hate grinding but levelling in this ia essential at parts, managed to get from level 40 to 70ish in one night without much trouble at all and while skimming the forums with my left hand) and possibility some tips from the 64 page release forum. Would you mind gjoerlv?
 I don't consider myself any kind of master, I used to watch videos of gjoerulv and garland, brutal and neroneronero play and just plucked up the courage to try it ha ha

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-14 12:32:36 »
There was a guide made by a member on this hardcore mod from disc 1 all the way to disc 3 that was included in a folder once you install Bootleg maybe someone could upload that for you if they have Bootleg installed

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-15 13:13:17 »
If you guys get stuck at a particular boss, then I've got a complete run of the Hardcore mod bosses up on Youtube (a link to it is in Gjoerulv's mod description). It was done without the break 9999 limit mod on V.1.0.4; an older version, but I'm told that some bosses are tougher on this one (Silver Chocobo is immune to Silence, Bizarro/Safer are stronger, etc).

Be interesting to see what the other differences between mod versions are, and to see other people's strategies for getting through this mod. I found the Sea Worms on the coast of Mideel to be a good early-game boost, but Lv40 to Lv70 in one night? I wanna know how!

krockus91

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-16 10:23:55 »
Yeah it was using the sea worms but it's basically a certain setup that makes you unbeatable and means you can happily spam sea worms with no healing or mp consumption whatsoever,  I dont like grinding that much and especially on the hardcore mod where some enemies can pop up out of nowhere and end you. Where do you think would be the best place to post these mini guides?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-16 19:57:32 »
Well, you could always put the guide up on some file sharing site and then post the link; that could be a way to pass it around (just make sure it's in the right thread). Could be useful for people who get stuck to have a guide available. If Gjoerulv pops up then maybe get his opinion on it first, though, and see what he thinks about it before doing anything.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-21 17:50:06 »
Sega Chief's vids are good for boss strategies as he is not overleveled.
The thread is also a good source for guidance.  :mrgreen:

krockus91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-21 19:17:20 »
Well I know where i'm not wanted then ha ha

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-21 21:34:44 »
...If Gjoerulv pops up then maybe get his opinion on it first, though, and see what he thinks about it before doing anything.

Anyone is free to post any kind of guide on my mod anywhere it fits 'em.  :)

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-05 05:05:11 »
Greetings from Puerto Rico  8)

I started playing this mod, I'd say the fun of it is figuring it out by yourself how to progress without any help from any guide/online help.

Mad props Mr.Gjoerulv, this is hard as hell and I'm just at the Air Buster :P

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-31 23:57:11 »
I just defeated apps and prepared for climbing the tower, took out the first level boss but the rooster on the second level hit me with a melee attack with 2000 something, maybe I should return later :(

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-09-05 04:15:29 »
I'm at the temple of the ancients, I got to the red dragon boss but no matter what I did and different strategies I couldn't defeat him, I knew I had to go to a save before entering the temple to get one specific materia that i need for that battle.

I did so and defeated him, now the wall monster!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 2013-09-05 04:21:28 »
I don't recall having to have one specific materia.
you must be doing something wrong.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: 2013-09-05 08:12:07 »
I'm at the temple of the ancients, I got to the red dragon boss but no matter what I did and different strategies I couldn't defeat him, I knew I had to go to a save before entering the temple to get one specific materia that i need for that battle.

I did so and defeated him, now the wall monster!

You don't need a specific materia for that boss. What materia you missed?

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-09-07 02:49:29 »
Everyone was around LVL 40, Aeris a bit lower, even though all were on backrow, the Red Dragon would still deal around 3200 HP DMG when he did the physical biting attack. Everyone has the HP Plus materia but far from leveling up so most of the characters HP were around 2800. What I always aimed to do was trying to get everyone of the Big Guard Enemy Skill but most of the time he would kill one of the characters and I had to go back to rezzing and healing.

The main problem that I had with this boss is that he was invulnerable to the Added Effect + Choco/Mog materia combination, to be honest I never really use summons and magic to beat bosses, all I do is put Big Guard on the character that has that combination on his weapon and wait for the boss to be stopped, once that happens I start hitting with deathblow and everyone else hit with their physical attacks while all are on haste.

The materia I needed was Barrier, I would equip Aeris with Barrier + All and do it asap when the battle started, after that was done the battle was mine.

I avoided using Big Guard because it makes the barriers go out too quickly, it only works for one character and whenever I did Cure2, it was halved due to the magic barrier.

Also equipped one character with with Fire ring, the other 2 with Elemental + Fire to be immune to his breath attack.

Set Cloud with his LVL 1 Limit so I could use Crossslash to paralyze him even if it was for a few seconds.

What did you guys do for the Red Dragon?  :P

Been working a lot lately which is why I still haven't gamed yet, if I get some time tonight, I'll take on the wall monster again, I died the first time and haven't gamed yet :(

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 2013-09-07 04:22:17 »
Judging by what you said, you were just bruteforcing the bosses instead of trying to win with strategy and the red dragon forced you to use strategy now.
I'd say thats not missing a materia ( to possibly beat it ) but rather limited thinking
I forgot what I did to the dragon when playing hardcore.

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-09-07 05:13:54 »
Wouldn't call it limited thinking, more like a head-on strike.

Even though I did everything I typed above, I also threw a spider web to slow him down at the beginning of the fight.

Also sensed him to see  his weaknesses, which were none.

Odin gave him a good hit, but all the others didn't really do a lot of damage so wasn't worth to cast them unto him.

Magic? Maybe there was something that would have given him a hard shot but I didn't bother with any except healing/protecting ones.

Had all enemy skills you can get in the game at that point, I didn't try laser nor the gravity spells but if I was there still, I would have.

Deadly Waste? Didn't work, Bio didn't neither.

Ink? You can see his physical body gets it, but he never misses physical attacks, Loco Weed didn't work neither.

What would have you done?  :|

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 2013-09-07 11:39:00 »
slow on him, barrier+mbarrier on myself
boosted myself with dragon force ( cloud ) who also had a mastered cover materia, a counter materia paired with deathblow and 2 HP+ materia. could be that I had added-effect+odin in armor + ribbon but not sure ( 2 stars each )
Cloud used defend, Aerith MP drained him with magic hammer and Tifa healed. Aerith went to move on using level 3 spells while cloud kept taking the physical hits with ease, tifa kept healing and aerith nuked him.

I found an old savefile from hardcore and tried this. was easy. I was lvl 41.

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-09-08 01:08:56 »
slow on him, barrier+mbarrier on myself
boosted myself with dragon force ( cloud ) who also had a mastered cover materia, a counter materia paired with deathblow and 2 HP+ materia. could be that I had added-effect+odin in armor + ribbon but not sure ( 2 stars each )
Cloud used defend, Aerith MP drained him with magic hammer and Tifa healed. Aerith went to move on using level 3 spells while cloud kept taking the physical hits with ease, tifa kept healing and aerith nuked him.

I found an old savefile from hardcore and tried this. was easy. I was lvl 41.

How exactly did you get the Dragon Force enemy skill by then? Only the Dark Dragon in the crater in disc 3 gives you that skill and the green dragon on the Mt. Nibel cannot be manipulated even if he did had that skill.

Counter materia? Same place, crater in disc 3....the hell?  ???  ???  ???  ???
« Last Edit: 2013-09-08 01:31:08 by JonJon412 »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #20 on: 2013-09-08 05:52:45 »
Dragon force isn't available until the blue dragons on disc 2.

Sadness + backrow + defend + barrier + cover + counter attack + long range works good.

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-09-08 17:45:20 »
Dragon force isn't available until the blue dragons on disc 2.

Sadness + backrow + defend + barrier + cover + counter attack + long range works good.

Cool, I really never used Cover but I might as well level it up.

Trying to climb the Pagoda Tower again, I defeated the rooster but the 3rd monster sucks me dry, he barely attacks but when he does it hits hard, I'm gonna try something different.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-08 17:47:30 by JonJon412 »

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-09-08 21:49:24 »
Seriously what the hell?

Those bosses you get once you get Kujata are insane!!!

Not only you have to deal with the 2 horsemen of hell who have like 3 turns per each turn you have, but once they're gone the damn imp with his magic wands cripples you up...Ive been fighting it for over an hour and still I can't beat them.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-09-08 23:38:10 »
Your best bet is to equip yourself with Ice, Fire, and Bolt protection so it might be a good idea to go and get the Aurora Armlet and Bolt Armlet, as well as the Comet Materia, before fighting these guys (they're all in the Forgotten City, though I think the Bolt Armlet is in the caves round the back, where you have to climb up). Put up defences to start, like MBarrier, and then attack the two horsemen's' MP with Magic Hammer. This leaves them with just their physical attacks. Now kill one of the horsemen. Next, you'll want to take down Levant (the red guy). He counters when you hit him, but he'll counter anyway after he goes berserk so it's best to kill him now (I think he doesn't counter-attack if you hit him with Magic Hammer, so drain his MP first to avoid Fire 3). Comet works well as a source of damage. After Levant is down, take care of the last horseman.

I got a vid up showing a strategy for them which will hopefully help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoFtvbqrTlQ

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-09-09 00:40:21 »
Your best bet is to equip yourself with Ice, Fire, and Bolt protection so it might be a good idea to go and get the Aurora Armlet and Bolt Armlet, as well as the Comet Materia, before fighting these guys (they're all in the Forgotten City, though I think the Bolt Armlet is in the caves round the back, where you have to climb up). Put up defences to start, like MBarrier, and then attack the two horsemen's' MP with Magic Hammer. This leaves them with just their physical attacks. Now kill one of the horsemen. Next, you'll want to take down Levant (the red guy). He counters when you hit him, but he'll counter anyway after he goes berserk so it's best to kill him now (I think he doesn't counter-attack if you hit him with Magic Hammer, so drain his MP first to avoid Fire 3). Comet works well as a source of damage. After Levant is down, take care of the last horseman.

I got a vid up showing a strategy for them which will hopefully help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoFtvbqrTlQ

Thanks buddy :) I will watch your video after I beat them up, wouldn't be fair to use your strategy, the fun for me is figuring out how to defeat them and move forward by myself.

I did got to beat the both Horseman, took me a while but they went down, I didn't realize how hard he was gonna hit with his wand and Fire3 once his henchmen were gone.

The strategy I used:

Quickly cast Barrier on my team, followed by spamming Magic Hammer on both Horsemen till they can't cast anymore, once that happened I cast Debarrier to clean them up, hitting them with physical attacks and the magic they are vulnerable to. Using White Wind to heal and keeping an eye on the barriers to get them up asap once its down.

I took down first the Horsemen who cast the Bolt3 attack, so on my team I had Ice Ring, Elemental + Ice, Elemental + Shiva to resist his magic until I could make his MP go away. Then by mistake(because I thought the imp alone was going to be easy) I took down the 2nd Horsemen and after a while the Imp took me down.

I tried all of this before going to the City Of Ancients, so I didn't had at my disposal the Aurora and Bolt Armlet.

Right now I just got to Icicle Inn, where I plan to buy the new weapons, level up a bit and comeback with better gear and better understanding on how to deal with the trio.

Thanks again, I will take that tip of using Comet to hit the Imp before killing the last Horsemen, I'll let you know how it goes :)