Author Topic: changing default font  (Read 18682 times)

Aali

• View Profile
Re: changing default font
« Reply #25 on: 2009-07-28 22:25:29 »
Well, here's the deal; the game changes palettes to change the color of the text. So if you only modify the first palette, only gray text will look good, the rest will look like crap. So you can either modify all of the palettes to match your "base image" with new colors, OR you can leave the palettes alone altogether and draw the new image with the original palette.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009-07-28 22:29:54 »
Since i barely know how to even work photoshop this will be a challange haha.

Is there a way to import the palettes so Photoshop will only use those colors? Or no?

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-07-28 23:18:53 »
When you load the gif or bmp in photoshop the palettes will load automatically.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-07-28 23:28:56 »
I've never tried photoshop, but I recall at least my of Paint Shop Pro only allowed you to use colors form the picture pallete.
Palletized images are tricky. You should repect strictly the original image layout. I mean, if you have for example a letter filled with solid white and outlined in grey, you should keep it that way. That means you should avoid using any kind of interpolation (antialiasing, bilinear, etc.). Otherwise most likely you will end up getting oddly colored pixels around the edges of the letters. I think there are some filters (2xsai maybe? don't know) that respect strictly the original colors.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-07-28 23:36:33 »
I'll try that later. I wonder if there's a 2xSai filter plugin for photoshop?  Hmm....

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-07-28 23:56:11 »
Dang i was planing on using Anti Aliasing to make them look better when i redrew them..

whats this 2xSai? also is there a way to use it on the pictures in photoshop to make the text smooth

EDIT: there is also something called hq2x (also 3x and 4x) for image smoothing, would that work as well?

info here

http://web.archive.org/web/20070717064839/www.hiend3d.com/hq4x.html
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 00:06:30 by hellbringer616 »

Phun

« Reply #31 on: 2009-07-29 00:14:33 »
Allow me to correct myself: GDI.

Say what?

Final Fansty VIII (not sure about VII) uses DirectDraw + GDI.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-07-29 00:34:37 »
No it doesn't.

I would know.

It's all textured quads, sent to the graphics driver, which may or may not be using DirectDraw. GDI was only used for debugging.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-07-29 01:14:49 »
Speaking of Image Scaling, Aali, would you happen to know if it's possible to implement a 2xSai or hq4x or (insert scaling algorithm here) smoother to the 2d field images in FF7?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-07-29 01:30:33 »
Of course it's possible. But it would look terrible.
See people's attempts at applying various filters to the backgrounds in the Palmer thread (and others).
It's not just a 2D image.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-07-29 01:31:55 »
i was just thinking the same thing after getting the custom GFX driver working.  I found quite a few of the worldmap textures, and they are very small scale and was wondering if it is possible to make higher-res, more detailed versions.  I suppose this would be quite tricky with an 8-bit palette though.  

If someone were to create higher-res versions(say 128x128), can you create your own 8-bit palette, or do you have to stick to the one that the original texture used? And would the game even be capable of scaling a larger texture, or would it just take a small snippet from the corner at original size?  I ask because i have been wanting to contribute to the modding of this game, and world texture creation is the first thing i've found that i could actually do without having learning anything new.

lee

Phun

« Reply #36 on: 2009-07-29 05:11:39 »
No it doesn't.

I would know.

It's all textured quads, sent to the graphics driver, which may or may not be using DirectDraw. GDI was only used for debugging.

DirectDraw is used for transferring surfaces to the screen, and GDI is used for rendering.

-----

I assume FFVII and FFVIII are very similar, which is why I assume text is rendered the same in FFVII as it is in FFVIII. As I previously stated: if you want to change the default font, you must hook the GDI API. Take a look at this article for information on enumerating installed fonts.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 06:29:37 by Phun »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-07-29 05:40:21 »
I don't seem to be getting through to you, so let's see what John McGinley can do.

The font is a texture (a number of textures actually) in menu_us.lgp, they are rendered using the standard methods used to render everything else in the game, they don't have anything to do with GDI and they don't have to use DirectDraw anywhere in the process.

Phun

« Reply #38 on: 2009-07-29 05:43:19 »
I don't seem to be getting through to you, so let's see what John McGinley can do.

The font is a texture (a number of textures actually) in menu_us.lgp, they are rendered using the standard methods used to render everything else in the game, they don't have anything to do with GDI and they don't have to use DirectDraw anywhere in the process.

I'll see about this.

P.S. I love Scrubs.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 05:48:52 by Phun »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-07-29 05:50:27 »
Scrubs is (was) a great show. RIP

Please show some facts to support your statements (so I can disprove them :-P).

Phun

« Reply #40 on: 2009-07-29 06:35:30 »
Scrubs is (was) a great show. RIP

Please show some facts to support your statements (so I can disprove them :-P).

You appear to be correct, though I was right about DirectDraw. I simply assumed they would use GDI to render font.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 06:53:18 by Phun »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-07-29 15:22:46 »
You were right about DirectDraw? What about the OpenGL driver? Does that use DirectDraw? Granted, it's not accessible through the normal config app, but it's still there and it sure as hell doesn't need DirectDraw.

Phun

« Reply #42 on: 2009-07-29 15:41:33 »
You were right about DirectDraw? What about the OpenGL driver? Does that use DirectDraw? Granted, it's not accessible through the normal config app, but it's still there and it sure as hell doesn't need DirectDraw.

The game uses it for surfaces and whatnot, that's all.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-07-29 16:05:57 »
My point was, why replace the font through DirectDraw when you can simply change the texture and make it work regardless of how the .exe draws it.
Hopefully you've already realized it's a bad idea. :-P

Phun

« Reply #44 on: 2009-07-29 16:17:24 »
My point was, why replace the font through DirectDraw when you can simply change the texture and make it work regardless of how the .exe draws it.
Hopefully you've already realized it's a bad idea. :-P

I have.  :-D

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-07-30 17:08:30 »
Alright messing around in photoshop i was changing the image type (since it's indexed color and you can mess with it if it is)

I found a way to save the color table, is this the palette?