Author Topic: Game doesn't load at all.  (Read 5830 times)

CDragon1986

• View Profile
Game doesn't load at all.
« on: 2019-04-27 09:02:57 »
Okay, so I followed each step in the tutorial, double and triple checking as I went.

I have the Steam version of FFVII installed in a folder that isn't in Program Files, Program Files (x86), Users. Checked it and ran fine. Mounted the provided ISO and ran the provided Game Converter. It didn't automatically locate the game directory, so I typed it in with ""s. Checked the sound devices; only one available: Realtek High Definition Audio. Only one MIDI Driver: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. Sound tests play fine. Setup 7th Heaven as outlined in the tutorial. Download the Dynamic Weapons mod and activate without issue. Click 'Launch Game' to test it. Spinning blue circle appears by the mouse cursor and the window flickers a bit. Then, nothing. The game makes no further attempt to start. no error windows that I can see.

So, where did I mess up? I've been at this for almost 3 days...

CDragon1986

• View Profile
Re: Game doesn't load at all.
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-28 02:49:33 »
Now that I've had some sleep... here's the GameConverter log. I tried overwriting the patch in case some thing didn't patch correctly. No luck.

Start running at    Date: Sat 04/27/2019    Time: 21:49:07.82
Active code page: 437
ActualPath C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.000

You are running "Windows 8.1" on a 64 Bit Operating System (AMD64)

Real Management 32Bit WOW64

This patch is already applied.
Variables are taken from GameConverterKeys.

Unpatch?
Overwrite?
End?
Selection is:   Overwrite

Patching...

Copying Registry Keys...
Removed CompatFlags from "ff7.exe"
Removed CompatFlags from "ff7config.exe"

Setting GC Registry Keys...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\GameConverterkeys

Setting language to en...

Detecting drive letter for FF7 Discs...

Drive letter for FF7DISC1 --- E:\

Movies path found at...

"F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies\"

Copying English Files...

Copying 1.02 patch for ff7.exe...

Copying Aali's Custom Driver, version 0.8.1b...

Moving OGG music files...

Adding more Registry Keys...
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Graphics
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\MIDI
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound
Adding Registry Key to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FF7app.exe

Please check over the settings for FF7Config...

1) Sound tab should have a Sound device set. Do NOT leave it blank.
2) Perform the Sound and MIDI tests.
3) Graphics tab can be ignored.
4) Click OK when finished.

Inserting Multi.dll, Hext.dll, and Languagefile...

Patching FF7anyCDv2...

Install the Laptop Keyboard Patch?
(Choose YES if keyboard does NOT have a NUMPAD)
NO

Patching complete.

Check FF7_GC.log for details.

called with ""C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.000\FF7_GameConverter_7H.bat""
Arguments: "C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.000\FF7_GameConverter_7H.bat"

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE:          x86
PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432:          AMD64
Actual Path:                     C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.000
Product Name:                    Windows 8.1
Architecture:                    AMD64
Running in Modus                 32Bit WOW64
OS Bit Version                   64
Reg-Keyname Steam                HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 39140
Reg-Keyname Re-Release           HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{141B8BA9-BFFD-4635-AF64-078E31010EC3}_is1
Reg-Keyname 1                    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.
Reg-Keyname 2                    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FF7app.exe
Reg-Keyname 3                    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.
Steam Release is present:        Yes
Steam Release Path:               
Re-Release is present:           
Re-Release Path:                 
Original Release is present:     
Original Release Path:           
Destination Path:                F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII
Source Path:                     F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII
Videos Path:                     F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies
Original Videos Path:             
Original Language                en
Converted Language               en
Original Drive Letter:           
Converted Drive Letter:          E:\
and now clear up Variables...
Ending at           Date: Sat 04/27/2019    Time: 21:49:51.45

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-04-28 11:24:12 »
Did you set a valid device for sound?

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-04-29 02:00:50 »
Realtek High Definition Audio is the only one that shows. There is technically a second one: Realtek Digital Output, but that's just Realtek High Definition Audio again. Regardless, switching to that one didn't work either.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-04-29 11:26:31 »
Realtek High Definition Audio is the only one that shows. There is technically a second one: Realtek Digital Output, but that's just Realtek High Definition Audio again. Regardless, switching to that one didn't work either.
Can you post your APP.LOG?

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-04-30 01:31:12 »
From the game directory? It's blank. I imagine therein lies my problem, but starting over with a fresh install didn't fix that.
« Last Edit: 2019-04-30 01:38:49 by CDragon1986 »

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-04-30 03:29:26 »
From the game directory? It's blank. I imagine therein lies my problem, but starting over with a fresh install didn't fix that.
Huh.. It should populate with a game start-up log after you launch through 7th heaven.

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-04-30 03:35:38 »
That's what I figured, but 7th Heaven never actually boots the game for me. The loading circle appears by my mouse when I click 'Launch Game', but then does nothing. The APP.LOG remains blank and the game never opens.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-04-30 11:54:08 »
Obviously I don't know your physical setup, but looking at the converter log, it seems odd to me that you'd have an ISO mount as drive E, yet the Steam folder is on drive F.  Is that right for your hardware?

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-05-01 03:03:30 »
Evidently. My PC is a custom rig with a SSD as drive C containing my operating system and Steam client while my HDD as always been drive F. The disk drive is drive D. There was never a drive E, so DAEMON Tools Lite defaulted to that when mounting the provided ISO. I put the Steam library in the Games folder on Drive F to meet the no Program Files, Program Files (x86), Users requirement since anything else was met with a disk read error, or it wouldn't let me make a separate folder on the same drive as the Steam client. So Steam client on drive C and Steam library on drive F.

The game launched fine through the Steam client. It won't open a game window through 7th Heaven.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-05-01 03:44:55 »
What do your .exe and path settings look like under \Workshop\General Settings?  Are they valid/correct, or filled with bogus info (which seems to be a common bug in 1.56rc7)?

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-05-01 03:52:04 »
FF7 Exe: F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\ff7.exe
Movies: F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies\
Textures: F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\mods\Textures\
Library: F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\mods\7th Heaven\

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-05-01 11:24:36 »
Evidently. My PC is a custom rig with a SSD as drive C containing my operating system and Steam client while my HDD as always been drive F. The disk drive is drive D. There was never a drive E, so DAEMON Tools Lite defaulted to that when mounting the provided ISO. I put the Steam library in the Games folder on Drive F to meet the no Program Files, Program Files (x86), Users requirement since anything else was met with a disk read error, or it wouldn't let me make a separate folder on the same drive as the Steam client. So Steam client on drive C and Steam library on drive F.

The game launched fine through the Steam client. It won't open a game window through 7th Heaven.
As a note to this, you can move the install folder anywhere after install. Steam apparently doesn't make any registry entries when installing the game, and that makes it simple to do if you have the space. I couldn't install this on my Steam install because my Steam location is "E:\Games\!Steam\" (to put it at the top of my games folder) so I had to do this from necessity.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-05-01 14:28:32 »
Those paths all look reasonable :\  Stupid question but something we should have started off with... do you have any mods actually loaded and active when you press 'Launch'?

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-05-01 20:01:07 »
As a note to this, you can move the install folder anywhere after install. Steam apparently doesn't make any registry entries when installing the game, and that makes it simple to do if you have the space. I couldn't install this on my Steam install because my Steam location is "E:\Games\!Steam\" (to put it at the top of my games folder) so I had to do this from necessity.

Now, that's interesting. I'll try moving the install folder off on its own and reconfigure the paths. Maybe that's all it needs.

Those paths all look reasonable :\  Stupid question but something we should have started off with... do you have any mods actually loaded and active when you press 'Launch'?

I only installed and activated the Dynamic Weapons mod to check that I setup everything correctly, which I apparently didn't.   :-[

UPDATE: Moving the install folder didn't help. APP.LOG is still blank and game still won't launch through 7th Heaven. Really thought we were on to something. :-(
« Last Edit: 2019-05-01 20:12:29 by CDragon1986 »

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2019-05-03 01:55:14 »
Still no luck getting this to work. I just can't figure it out.  :( I followed the tutorial and the video carefully, and the game just will not launch. Not start and then CTD, but flatout acts like I didn't click the 'Launch Game' button. What a disappointment.

UPDATE: Tried another fresh install. Deleted keys and everything. Followed all the steps, and got something new clicking Launch this time. Never-mind, one of the 7th heaven files needed redownloaded. Still doesn't start.
« Last Edit: 2019-05-04 00:48:04 by CDragon1986 »

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-05-04 05:39:35 »
Still no luck getting this to work. I just can't figure it out.  :( I followed the tutorial and the video carefully, and the game just will not launch. Not start and then CTD, but flatout acts like I didn't click the 'Launch Game' button. What a disappointment.

UPDATE: Tried another fresh install. Deleted keys and everything. Followed all the steps, and got something new clicking Launch this time. Never-mind, one of the 7th heaven files needed redownloaded. Still doesn't start.
Dumb question, but You are running 7th Heaven as admin, yes?

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-05-04 06:04:41 »
There are no dumb questions since I'm the novice here ;D. I run as admin every time.

I tried ticking the box for 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution' that I saw someone mention on here. That would actually gain me a black screen before returning to 7th Heaven. Still nothing in the APP.LOG, though.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2019-05-04 12:18:24 »
There are no dumb questions since I'm the novice here ;D. I run as admin every time.

I tried ticking the box for 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution' that I saw someone mention on here. That would actually gain me a black screen before returning to 7th Heaven. Still nothing in the APP.LOG, though.
Do you have .NETFramework Version 4.5.2 installed? That's a prereq

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2019-05-04 13:10:48 »
Do you have .NETFramework Version 4.5.2 installed? That's a prereq

If I'm understanding the Registry Editor correctly, I have version 4.7.2.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2019-05-04 17:23:48 »
You may want to try installing Version 4.5.2. Some of the version items don't always work right between versions.

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2019-05-05 03:42:30 »
You may want to try installing Version 4.5.2. Some of the version items don't always work right between versions.

It won't install since I already have a later version.  :(

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2019-05-07 03:33:48 »
ok. I tried man.. :(

CDragon1986

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2019-05-07 04:40:22 »
ok. I tried man.. :(

And I do appreciate the attempt.  :) Guess it's just not meant to be.